Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,874 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? (79623 Views)

Tourists On Vacation In Africa See Python Inside Their Engine(video+pic) / Vacation In Paris, Any Guide / Perfect Vacation In Badagry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by vinna(f): 9:00am On Aug 03, 2007
I'm travelling to Ghana next month for my vacation, so i need information on how to have as much fun as possible with minimum cash. Any Ghanian in the house or someone whose been to Ghana should help me.

Merci
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by soccerchic(f): 8:00pm On Aug 03, 2007
Let me know what u find out cause am also thinking of going to Ghana for a visit.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by opensource(m): 10:14pm On Aug 03, 2007
bottle of bear 70,000

internet conection setup 2,000,000

for 2 weeks in Ghana if you decide to leave and extravagant life , Then 100k - 150k Naira should be enough for you as that is changed to billions of Ghanian currency looooooooooool

but for normal life , 50k - 80k is ok
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Esss(m): 10:37pm On Aug 03, 2007
Facts bout Ghana from a nigerians point of veiw.

1naira = 65cedis (Note; Ghana is re-denominating their currency so shit will be changing or has changed already, under the new currency system, 10,000cedis = 1cedis.)

100 US dollars = approx. 920,000cedis = 92cedis (new currency system).

1 bottle of beer = 7000cedis - 10,000cedis (depending on the bar.)

If you are going on vacation, then you'll definitely want to visit Cape Coast. The town is off the chain. beautiful scenery, lovely beaches, Slave trade Castles (all over the place). Elmina Hotel in Cape coast is a site to behold. Cape coast has no night life.
Takoradi is also a nice place to visit. its almost like cape coast, but with fewer beaches, or rather the beaches are not in town. But they have a very vibrant night life.
Kumasi is a commercial city. Not much happening there with regards to tourism.
Accra is lovely, and equally expensive. Has a very active night life, and in the day time most of the activity is in OSU or Nkrumah Circle. Tema also has nice beaches. its bout 30mins from Accra.
There are some other nice places up north, but I cant say much bout them

N.B; Ghanaians are very peaceful people, but most of them (esp. the ignorant ones) hate Nigerians (I think it has to do with the Ghana must go stuff). Ghanaians can be crooks and cunning in a nice way. But the place is generally nice.

1 Like

Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by tomiade1(m): 10:53pm On Aug 03, 2007
Ghana is kind of cool, wished you were a guy tho, then u'll understand what i mean grin
been there for like 2years now (schooling) so i think i know a little abot the hot spots

i'll take you through the most go places,

To eat, head to Asanka locals in Osu, there u'll get all sort of food, from snails, bush meat, banku, pepper soup, fufu, its a place to be,

For sightseeing, head down to cape coast to oasis beach, plus when u're there try relax with some good ganja,

Night Clubs,

Accra, Boomerang, Jokers(7 days a week grin), afrodisiac

Kumasi, Foxs, Kiravi, yegola

Takoradi, B.B.J, Paragon,

Cape coast, Elmina night club

I'm going to stop here, like i said i wished you were a guy so i could continue,

but when u're there try their food, Banku with Okro soup, Fufu with light soup, Kente with shitto and pepper,

just have fun cool cool
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Esss(m): 10:55pm On Aug 03, 2007
tomi wat sch are u in?
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by tomiade1(m): 10:57pm On Aug 03, 2007
knust
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Esss(m): 11:03pm On Aug 03, 2007
opps. ur name rang a bell. but thats the wrong school.

knust and you didnt add yegoala, cheers bar, time out, jokers in ur list.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by theforce(m): 4:41am On Aug 06, 2007
Want to go to GHANA, where do i stay, where do i visit. How much does stuff cost out there, someone pls help me out, got juts about 7days to plan my trip.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by vinna(f): 10:41am On Aug 06, 2007
Esss and Tomi , thanks a lot for your contribution. but i'd also like to know how much it costs to lodge in a good hotel (not necessarily expensive) and names of the ones you know in accra/cape town.

@ soccerchic when do you intend to visit ghana? maybe we can hook up and hv a nice ladies time together.

wink
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by vinna(f): 5:30pm On Aug 13, 2007
Any Ghanian in d house to help a sista. I really need this info.

Thank you
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by igbonla(m): 9:33am On Aug 17, 2007
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Esss(m): 1:25pm On Aug 18, 2007
Sorry, I've been away on vacation in switzerland but I'm back now.
Alright, GHANA

Accomodation; This depends on what you want. Cable, air-conditioning, room-service, constant electricity, e.t.c. If you want all these options and more then you will have to pay more (bout 50dollars-120dollars per night). Examples of such hotels include Novotel Accor hotels (Accra), Shangrila (Accra), Elimina Hotels (Cape Coast) and some others (I cant remember all of them). But there are other cheaper yet decent hotels which offer you air-conditioning (only when there is public power supply but they offer you fans and basic lighting when there is public power outage), No cable (just public television/free view), No room service (but they offer you a very crappy breakfast), none of those fancy things (just a simple bed and breakfast). These cost around (250,000 cedis - 300.000cedis @ 900,000cedis to 100dollars (do the maths ) ). But on the up side, these cheap hotels are located in the center of town. Examples are Josca lodge (Accra), Bineys bed and breakfast (Accra), University guest house (cape coast), e.t.c (I'll add more as I remember them).

Restaurants/fast food; There are some pretty good ones around. In Accra, there is Nandos/On the run (Osu food court) This is very popular in Ghana and is located in Osu, Papaye (Accra) another popular fast food restaurant, Frankies (Accra) this is a hotel/restaurant/fast food joint. They are quite expensive, but very good. Bus stop (Accra) is a bar/restaurant (You'll find alot of Nigerians here (mostly traders)), Elimina Hotels (cape coast) Expensive and very good. Ovation House (Accra) This is a Nigerian joint owned by Dele Momodu. It is very very good, and quite expensive, but it is all worth it. They also serve Ghanaian local dishes as well as continental dishes. (I'll update as I remember them).

Transportation
; Since you''ll be shuttling between cities (Accra-Cape Coast-Takoradi), I will recommend you use the following public transport companies; STC (they are very good, cheap, safe, comfortable and somewhat reliable. They are a very organised transport company and are also very popular.), KTS (they are equally good, but not as organized as STC and they cover fewer routes. Also safety is not all that guaranteed), OA (this is another good transport company. They have some "F-ed up" lookin buses but they are alright.)
Travelling within any town, it is advisable you take the cab on charter or "droppin". Its relatively cheap depending on the distance traveled and is normally in the range of 10,000-20,000 cedis per "droppin".

Nightclub's; I think Tomi has provided you with a very comprehensive list of all the nightclubs/bars.

Tourist Attractions; You might have to ask a Ghanaian but these are some of the places I would recommend you visit. Cape Coast; This town is full of history. like the name, it is surrounded by water (the atlantic ocean) and is littered with Slave castles and forts. You will definitely enjoy your visit. You might have to travel long distances (bout 30mins to 1hr) to see some of the more facinating and pretty beaches and castles but it is al worth it. Lots of beaches, loads of sea foods, and generally a quite city. Has no real night life. Accra; Capital city, not much here bt it is a very nice city. has a few beaches, museums, their independence square e.t.c. Takoradi; Has a cople of slave relics, and also has some nice beaches too. it is more like a commercial city but to see the beaches and stuffs, you have to travel into the villages. it is quite nice. about 30mins from cape coast. Tema; Beaches and joints. Nice clubs and generally fun Kumasi; All round commercial center of the country. Has a very active nightlife but thats were it ends. Oh I think theres a place called "Lake botsontwi" heard its nice but I've never been there. Other places are up north, I have no real info bout those areas. I'll find out and get back at you.

Security; The place is generally safe. No qualms bout nothing. There are a few very rough neighborhoods, but I doubt you'll ever wander into those areas.

Cost; The cost of things here are erm!! Ermm! undecided I dont know. Here is a helpful pointer. use the exchange rate I provided earlier and cross-check them with the estimates I've gien you and convert. Nb; Since they are re-denominating their currency, things will change and I learnt inflation has gone up byabout 15%. I'll keep you posted. Or better yet, give me a list of the stuffs you'd like to know their prices and I'll help you out.

Anything else just post it.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by ssRhino: 3:48pm On Aug 18, 2007
Tomi_ad, u sure u dey go to class so?
Just messing with you broda, hae fun, would love to visit ghana soon, had the opportunity this week, but had to let it go, cos too much to do here,
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Imme: 9:44am On Sep 23, 2008
Thank you so much Ess for your detail information on Ghana.

Please do i need a visa to travel to Ghana? i have a valid passport and intends to travel by road.

Secondly, i'm planning to travel with my 10months old baby but she does not have an international passport yet, will i be allowed to travel wt her?

Anybody with useful info on these shld pls provide.

I remain royal.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by K2: 2:15pm On Sep 23, 2008
Imme:

Thank you so much Ess for your detail information on Ghana.

Please do i need a visa to travel to Ghana? i have a valid passport and intends to travel by road.

Secondly, i'm planning to travel with my 10months old baby but she does not have an international passport yet, will i be allowed to travel wt her?

Anybody with useful info on these shld please provide.

I remain royal.

You don't need a Visa to travel to Ghana or any country in ECOWAS. About your baby, I'm not sure if she'd need a passport. To be on the safe side, I'd say at least some form of Identifcation for her since that might be the only proof that she's yours and not someone else's. Their phone number in Lagos is here. (+234-1) 2630015, 2630934
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Dimaya: 9:17pm On Sep 23, 2008
hello nairalanders, please i'm looking for the member with id darkgodes, if she reads this, tell her to email me gravityoutsider@yahoo.com, i need to speak to her, thanks
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by femigirl(f): 9:52pm On Sep 23, 2008
Accra,Make sure you go to Frankies for ice cream, it is also a hotel check out http://www.frankies-ghana.com

Go to Labadi Beach, Makola market(love it , make she bargin with the people in the market)

Kumasi is in the north, i love it ,go to Lake Bosumtwi, The Manhyia Palace(were the ashanti king is ) and off course kumasi market

cape coast, go to elmina castle were slave were kept and see the gate no return.

1 Like

Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by phatjoe(m): 11:31am On Apr 06, 2009
guise!
will 45-50k cover a week's vacation in Ghana
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Quincy1(m): 2:00pm On Apr 09, 2009
Hi All,
Just gone thru what everyone has to say here on this topic. I think Ess is wrong on the exchange rate. Its 75 Naira to a cedi and now 1400Ghana cedis to d dollar. Nigerian naira fluctuates alot agains d Ghanian cedi. For example, if u have 1000Naira, divide that by 75 and u get 75,000cedis or 7.5Ghana cedis. Its d same thing, just the redenomination. The dollar to cedi is 14,000 cedis to 1 dollar. Thats 1,400,00 for 100 dollars. If u convert 1,400,000cedis to naira, its 18,666 naira. So that will clear the air about the currency.
@Imme, u don't need a visa to ghana. All you need is a Nigerian passport or an ECOWAS passport. U will be allowed into ghana with a 3 months permit. You can even come here without a passport, but will cost you alittle more. You can make enquiries if u want to from ABC motors or CHisco.
Anyone coming to Ghana can contact me and i will set up a tour for u. But it will be better and fun if u come in a group. Ghana is expensive and people don't know it. They seem to believe that when u change ur naira to millions of cedis, then u are rich, sorry thats not true. For example, most of the hotels that tomi mentioned in accra charge their rates in dollars and thats from 80 dollars. Except u know ur way around, will be difficult to get a decent hotel in cedis, thats why u need someone here to guide u thru.
Accra is Great. Nite life is great too. Let me just add a few tourist attractions to what tomi added. Yo can go on a cruise on princess dodi. Its a 6 hr cruise on a lake. Biggest manmade lake in africa- the Akosombo lake. There is live band entertainment, drinks and lunch while on the cruise. Another nice beach is the Bojo beach. Its quite and serene. 30mins from accra.
Tema is quite cool too and have some good hotels that are cheaper than accra. i guess because accra is the capital, thats why most of the hotels are very expensive. You can stay in tema and go have fun in accra, if u want it that way.
Another place worth going to is the accra mall where u can do ur shopping, go to d cinema and see a movie.
Want more info?? feel free to ask. Won't mind been a tour guide for anyone or group of people.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Quincy1(m): 2:06pm On Apr 09, 2009
Email me on titi.travels.tours@gmail.com if u want some info, help or tour guide. When u visit Ghana. I can set up a tour package for an individual or group.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Quincy1(m): 2:20pm On Apr 09, 2009
@ phatjoe.
50k will cover ur 1 wk trip to ghana, but the excludes ur travel fare(TICKET) and your lifestyle. U understand what i mean
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by gdup1960: 3:47pm On Apr 20, 2009
@Quincy1

Sent you an email, not sure you go it cause it came back. Need a guide for may.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by OneNaija(m): 1:26am On Apr 21, 2009
My Advice: Anyone going to Ghana most be very Careful not like Nigeria.You must always watch you back if they find out you are Nigeria.They Hate Nigerians so Much. It is also Nice place to visit.I prefer Cape coast Not Accra. Accra is full of shit You know what I mean. Racist,
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by chrizfasa(m): 7:11am On Apr 21, 2009
Hi Quincy1,
Pls, i want you to tell me more about Ghana and what can i do there as a Nigeria with ND Holder in computer Science.
Really, I want to go there to end my career there. Becos a friend of mine told me that Ghana things are very cheap.
So I want to go there and stay for the rest of my life.
Also i want you to let me know are there business like.
my regard
chriz
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Quincy1(m): 3:53am On Apr 29, 2009
@chrizfasa, am sure you heared wat onenaija said about ghanians hating Nigerians. Its absolutely true, so bear that in mind and really consider your intentions about settling down here except you are not sensitive and can live with your fellow africans been a racist towards you. Doubt if you will secure a job here except you have connections to a nigerians who owns a firm here. As for business opportunities, there are alot you only need a good capital and some contacts because there are lots of Nigerians here doing business and controlling the economy here.

@ gdup. Dunno if you are the one that sent me an email, but i just got a mail and did a reply.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Kermitt: 4:08am On Apr 30, 2009
Not true. I had no problems staying in Ghana for 3 months even when people knew I was Nigerian. It all depends on how you carry yourself. I think Ghananians envy us because we're rich (as a nation) but are disappointed because we've not used our wealth to lift up the whole west Africa, (just my thought). Regardless, our government has helped Ghana a lot so we are cool. grin
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by chrizfasa(m): 3:03am On May 02, 2009
Thanks broda for your adverse.
pls i waant you to tell me more about their currency and the type of busness one can do with just #120,000.
my regards
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by carago: 2:33am On May 11, 2009
Wow, I read this thread with glee.@ quincy 1, as much as i'm sad to admit it, u are spot on right!! Nigerians are running the economy here. I'm Ghanaian, and I really find it, um, interesting how Nigerians have managed to accomplish this feat in my country. Anyways, I'm not hating, I'll actually encourage any Nigerian business person I encounter. I'd just like some of u Naija folk to stop assuming every Ghanaian can be takin 4 a ride (Ghana man na mumu) cuz it aight true. Most Ghanaians just lack the ambition and drive Naija folk have and there's nothing wrong with that per se, that's just the way they are.

1 Like

Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by londoner: 6:18pm On May 11, 2009
@carago, welcome to nairaland. I must say I commend you for your mature contribution to this thread.

I should be visiting Ghana this year, God willing.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by carago: 6:51pm On May 11, 2009
@ londoner, thank you, thank you, u are far too kind grin. Hope u enjoy ur trip to Ghana when u do get here. cheers!
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by biolabee(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2009
Ghana was the bomb!
spent 10 days there and went round the country

Accra-CapeCoast(Kakum,Hans Cottgae)-kumasi (Lake Bosumtwi)-Wli Waterfalls-Tema-Accra
Met my good man Quincy
Had a nice time but the country is damn expensive

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Regret Coming To Canada / My Flight Experience With A Flight Attendant / Share Yours.new Picture Of Lagos Only.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.