Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear (1996 Views)

As A First Time Car Owner, Toyota Corolla 2010 Or Honda Civic 2011? / Help!!! My Wife's 2002 Lexus Rx300 Wont Shift From 3rd Gear To 4th Gear. … / Help - My Car Gear Won't Shift Until I Remove My Leg on Gas Pedal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by Billiodollars(f): 8:07pm On Mar 06, 2022
I have been having issues with my 2010 corolla for a long while now. It drives normally, reverses perfectly. The only issue is it doesn't change into the fourth gear and as such I can't drive pass 60kmph, if I do, the car will just keep reving upwards even up to 4000rpm and still no change. I attempted to give to a mechanic that said he know what the issue was and said it was electrical and he would also change the fiber and one other item. He did so, but in the process was arrested for stealing catalyst. Although he said he was done with his work, he coupled the gear half way while another mechanic finished coupling the shaft and engine seatings. After everything my gear was dead. Noise everywhere and problem still persisted. I was forced to get a new gear box few days ago. After fixing I notice the problem is still there in this new gear box prompting me to think that the issue isn't with the gear box but with something else.
Scan showed several codes but one I caught was VSS sensor faulty. I have changed the sensor mounted on the gear box before, even the new gear came with a new sensor. I dont seem to know what else to do. Someone suggested I change the four sensors on the hub of the tyres that it might also be the cause.
Gurus in the house, please assist me as its the car I use for bolt to manage myself in this country. And I'm getting tired of riders complaining I'm not moving fast and they are late for their flight. Anyone that has had such, please assist or if you know a good automatic tranny technician in port Harcourt kindly assist with his contact. Attached is a picture of the car and codes generated via the small scanner I used

Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by felix55(m): 9:21pm On Mar 06, 2022
Guy, which obd2 r u using ...?
Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by jgbemson1: 9:22pm On Mar 06, 2022
U will need a competent Rewire to work on this codes .

Contact Aplusmechanic on IG

Tell them you are from Gbemi

Thank you
Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by sultaan(m): 2:10am On Mar 07, 2022
If only you had post d this problem before you took it to the first mechanic who messed the transmission up, I could have to you your problem was the crankshaft code which could be your timing is out or bad sensor plus a pinched speed sensor.
But now you have transmission issues added either as bad installation or more.

No you have to look for a more competent mechanic

1 Like

Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by Dozieson(m): 9:08am On Mar 07, 2022
https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/p0712/

The P0712 is the major issue affecting your trans. Read more details on the link above and check to see if your car is have any by visual inspection

P0500 could also mean your instrument cluster is bad. In this case, go to parts market and request they test it with theirs If the problem persist, then don't bother buying it.
Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by geezonaire1415(m): 11:57pm On Mar 20, 2022
Simple problem. Sensor in ur hub. I believe ur speedometer and mileage is not working also.
Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by talktimi(m): 1:17am On Mar 21, 2022
I don't trust any mechanic in Ph again especially the idïot who broke my dash while looking for AC leakage cry

Gazzuzz once dropped a guy's number here named Chuks, you can try and see if he's still in Ph

0 8 0 3 312 3865
Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by Cokahot: 2:12pm On Mar 21, 2022
Throttle body is gone. Change it
Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by mdokaba1(m): 1:05am On Dec 27, 2022
Mine had a similar issue last week.

My mechanic diagnosed it as an ECU problem.

I spent 80k on a new ECU. After programming it, the last gear works perfectly.

I would suggest you change the brain box.
Re: Corolla 2010(south Africa) Won't Shift Into 4th Gear by ZombieSlayer1: 7:22am On Jan 03, 2023
sultaan:
If only you had post d this problem before you took it to the first mechanic who messed the transmission up, I could have to you your problem was the crankshaft code which could be your timing is out or bad sensor plus a pinched speed sensor.
But now you have transmission issues added either as bad installation or more.

No you have to look for a more competent mechanic
True. He made a big mistake by running to change gears first.
I once had a similar issue, my car would rev without speeding up. It turned out 1 of my speed sensors was bad. If that's the issue, his speedometer wont work or might work poorly

(1) (Reply)

Needs A 2007 Toyota Camry (spider) Gear Box / Ikorodu To Ajegunle-Apapa! In Search Of Motorists Going My Way. / Is Buying A Cheap Mercedes Worth It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.