Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,275 members, 7,829,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Can Google+ Compete With Facebook - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Can Google+ Compete With Facebook (7363 Views)

Can Google Adsense Approve Blog Built Under Mywapblog / I Show You How I Make $1,000 Per Day With Facebook Viral Script On My Blog / Gtbank Mastercard Debitcard With Facebook Ads and Google Ads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by member479760: 9:51pm On Jul 02, 2011
google will remain but facebook will fade out with time.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 02, 2011
una don talk am all; only time will tell. can't wait to get an invite and get in!
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Solozzo(m): 10:24pm On Jul 02, 2011
I do not think google can touch the side of Facebook. Google had failed with Buzz, social network site. Twitter succeeded because it targeted the high class group in the US who were too shy to join Facebook.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Patnoble: 10:39pm On Jul 02, 2011
Nooooooooo!!!,google of all cannot be compared with facebook,facebook is just to get in contact with old friends and to meet with new people but google is worldwide usage,i can decide not to use facebook but not like google.google is the highest of all,in searchig anything you can to google so i believe google is my favourites.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by bouzymill(m): 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2011
nasoeb:

@bouzymill - When you you moved into facebppk, did you move with your friends? or did you not either get invitation from any of them or you invite them yourself?

Or probably make up your own friends there?

Just think before writing

You must be on some drugs or something before you typed that bolded part. What the hell is wrong with people like you? If you got a problem with the comment, criticize it and not come at me with some asinine jabs. Are you a kid who can't hold discussions without abuses? That's BS man. Watch it.

Normally, I wouldn't answer your question but I'ld let you have it since you have "thought before you typed"  

Check the statistics. . . before facebook, most of the users of the two big giants back then, Myspace and hi5, were mostly in their early 20s and maybe 30s. They weren't offering much. And for a fact, only the internet savvy out of your friends were on hi5 back then. and Myspace just didn't cut it for real even though It stood as a social platform that was more effective for music artistes and all.

You can't compare the response these platforms (Myspace and Hi5) had to that of facebook. Facebook brought in people  who wouldn't think of going on the computer normally. It brought in people's Dads and Mums. Brought in even grandparents (Now Tell me how you think people of this age grade would want to do it again on another platform). It brought in people you wouldn't believe you would see online. Or do you want to tell me you haven't seen a friend request or see a friend online and ask yourself, "This guy too is on facebook? hehehe" mainly cos you never thought he/she could be the kind of person for computers and all.  Inshort, the only thing some people know how to do on the computer today alone is facebook (You should get to see these people on some other web applications). People buy laptops and Sh!t solely for facebooking (hear that, "Facebooking"wink grin grin grin. Now

The essence of my chitchat is this.  .  . Facebook's appearance was some sort of revolution and that's it. The ship is sailed. Revolutions don't really happen twice.

Twitter saw the fun and advantage in just "Status Update" and made it its own main feature. . . See how it is making sense today.

and the point again is the FEATURES OF GOOGLE+ are not exclusive, What if Facebook implements the same tomorrow? which is most likely they do.

That's my own opinion anyways. I may be wrong at the end of the day. Only time will tell.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by DoubleN(m): 10:48pm On Jul 02, 2011
Facebook has to be on top of their game in order for them not be overtaken by Google+. Google is using every resource at its disposal to make sure that this happens by integrating their core services into the suite. Imagine getting friend suggestions based on geo-location or having a Conference Chat? By leveraging on the Power of Google Maps,Gmail, and Youtube Facebook has their work cut out.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by mrperfect(m): 10:59pm On Jul 02, 2011
Well, let us wait a year and see how it goes.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by buzugee(m): 11:24pm On Jul 02, 2011
bouzymill:

You must be on some drugs or something before you typed that bolded part. What the hell is wrong with people like you? If you got a problem with the comment, criticize it and not come at me with some asinine jabs. Are you a kid who can't hold discussions without abuses? That's BS man. Watch it.

Normally, I wouldn't answer your question but I'ld let you have it since you have "thought before you typed"  

Check the statistics. . . before facebook, most of the users of the two big giants back then, Myspace and hi5, were mostly in their early 20s and maybe 30s. They weren't offering much. And for a fact, only the internet savvy out of your friends were on hi5 back then. and Myspace just didn't cut it for real even though It stood as a social platform that was more effective for music artistes and all.

You can't compare the response these platforms (Myspace and Hi5) had to that of facebook. Facebook brought in people  who wouldn't think of going on the computer normally. It brought in people's Dads and Mums. Brought in even grandparents (Now Tell me how you think people of this age grade would want to do it again on another platform). It brought in people you wouldn't believe you would see online. Or do you want to tell me you haven't seen a friend request or see a friend online and ask yourself, "This guy too is on facebook? hehehe" mainly cos you never thought he/she could be the kind of person for computers and all.  Inshort, the only thing some people know how to do on the computer today alone is facebook (You should get to see these people on some other web applications). People buy laptops and droppings solely for facebooking (hear that, "Facebooking"wink grin grin grin. Now

The essence of my chitchat is this.  .  . Facebook's appearance was some sort of revolution and that's it. The ship is sailed. Revolutions don't really happen twice.

Twitter saw the fun and advantage in just "Status Update" and made it its own main feature. . . See how it is making sense today.

and the point again is the FEATURES OF GOOGLE+ are not exclusive, What if Facebook implements the same tomorrow? which is most likely they do.

That's my own opinion anyways. I may be wrong at the end of the day. Only time will tell.

you have said it all
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by DamiKhojie(m): 12:19am On Jul 03, 2011
I've been using Google + for the past few days it's fun but since they stopped letting us invite i don't have many friends on it yet. Personally I think it has potential to be better then facebook it has elements of facebook twitter & skype (video chat with up to ten people). Just because facebook is well established doesn't mean it can't be beat. People forget so quickly about Myspace (which was just sold for les then 10% of it's buying price) and the other social networks before it. Not sure about Nigeria but here in New york people are willing to ditch facebook especially after several months of useless updates each failing to fix the lag and bugs that the site is dealing with. That being said Google already failed once they tried this with google wave still way more optimistic about plus though smiley.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by success4(m): 12:32am On Jul 03, 2011
Let the drama unfold joor
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by DamiKhojie(m): 12:36am On Jul 03, 2011
success4:

Let the drama unfold joor

what drama lol
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by luluosas(m): 12:37am On Jul 03, 2011
Any way, i think innovation, product offering and public acceptance is the main factor determining the success of any adventure. Facebook will not necessarily be in problem with goggle+ but, they will feel the impact. Google+ will succeed based on the fact that, they will integrate all their products into this social platform. Remember you can now chat directly from your gmail account to a mobile phone. This service is currently available on glo and starcoms in nigeria. With a cutting edge technology, google+ will pull through.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by luluosas(m): 12:41am On Jul 03, 2011
I visited the address and behold, i need an invite to begin. So, who is sending the invite, google+ or your friend who has your gmail address? Help please!
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by DamiKhojie(m): 12:49am On Jul 03, 2011
luluosas:

Any way, i think innovation, product offering and public acceptance is the main factor determining the success of any adventure. Facebook will not necessarily be in problem with goggle+ but, they will feel the impact. Google+ will succeed based on the fact that, they will integrate all their products into this social platform. Remember you can now chat directly from your gmail account to a mobile phone. This service is currently available on glo and starcoms in nigeria. With a cutting edge technology, google+ will pull through.

this! I use chrome use gmail and have an Android phone I'm excited to see how they tie those in.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by DamiKhojie(m): 12:52am On Jul 03, 2011
@luluosas I can send one if you want but they close and open invites regularly so you may have to wait a while before you can actually use the link sent in the e-mail if you click it when it's closed it just says that invitations are closed for now or something along those lines. If your still interested inbox your gmail to me.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by ebere1712: 1:03am On Jul 03, 2011
The question should be would facebook survive google competition, and would they file a law suit or die a slow death. At a time myspace was the chief in social networking; now its facebook and twitter. So its not unheard of that popular internet sites become archaic. The thing is that google is going into everything that is technical. From cars, tvs, mobile phones, websites, software developement and all.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by 9dynasty(m): 1:19am On Jul 03, 2011
facebook might just be in troubled waters. . remember one thing guys. gooogle owns android OS. and apple's OS isn't in good terms with facebook.google might decide to pull some strings with facebook apps on androids. *note* a large chunk of internet users are on mobile devices like smartphones
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by shanda(m): 2:18am On Jul 03, 2011
This is not Google's first attempt to test the social media water. Even though past attempts has failed, for example, orkut and Google health failed woefully; that does not mean Google+ will fail. I believe Google must have learnt from their past mistakes, and will attempt to put things right this time around.[b] THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO FAIL NOW.[/b]Social media is the next big thing online and Google has a big advantage over Facebook, and I see them giving Facebook owners sleepless nights soon.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by vladimiros: 3:29am On Jul 03, 2011
for anyone who thinks facebook would go down

Number 1 reason facebook went to the top is cuz myspace sold to newscorp living the founders like tom anderson to stop having direct flow in what goes on

that ruined myspace

so as long as facebook does not sell out

GOOGLE WILL FAIL
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Nobody: 3:56am On Jul 03, 2011
This is the killer strategy from google to outdo competitors on two fronts.
Google+ will succeed and in a big way, apart from using youtube and its search engine to lure people in, its going to use its mobile os, the android to pull in lots of people. All the will need do is to incorporate it in their next firmware update. And all the millions of android phones will have google+ preinstalled with a deeper integration than facebook. It will probably support something similar to the bbm but with more features.
Google can win on all fronts with this one. 3 00,000 android devices are activated daily. Android phones are gaining more and more worldwide. Imagine a phone preinstalled with google+ thats allow you to connect seemlessly with all your peeps right from the phone contacts, plus you could call them through voip. It will be skype and facebook with bbm bundled into one app on your google phone. Thats google strategy and trust me on this one, this is going to change the way we communicate all over again
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Nobody: 4:24am On Jul 03, 2011
Imagine this, you have a friend who is on google+ and is also in your contact list in your phone, when you scroll to his number you would be able to see his google+ status right from the phone contacts, and you can chose to call him, mail him with gmail video chat with him, or just quickly post to his google+ homepage right from the contact list. When you snap pics you could immediately upload to google+ from your phone, cuz google+ will have a deeper integration on your android phones. For does without android phones will still have the choice to access google+ from the web, or a app that can be downloaded. This is a big strategy that has been well thought out, and cant fail. Now all we need is better batteries for our phones to be ever connected online.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Sike(m): 6:41am On Jul 03, 2011
Google has it all. . . I belive!
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 03, 2011
Why Google+ Will Fail.

Google has already ensured the failure of their Google+ project because of one very vital flaw - branding. Perception is everything, and the branding 'experts' at Googleplex don't seem to get that.

Google is perceived as a search-engine and they cannot possibly change that. FaceBook is a social-network and you can't change that too. Google+ will fail for the same reasons Facebook Mail will fail - both line extended products in fortified teritories. At the most, they'll only achieve lukewarm results.

The Ultimate Price.

Google's project might sound reasonable, but it actually sounds as reasonable as launching an "Indomie Spagheti", or a "Coca-Cola Beer" or a "Milo Milk". In the short term, they might seem to make a little progress with the new line extensions, however, it's the Google brand that will pay the ultimate price. Look at what is happening to Yahoo (Google is a search-engine, Facebook is a social network what is Yahoo? - news, email, autos, health, blablabla?). Google is trying to line-extend themselves to death.

**Pardon any typos, rushing to church.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Afam4eva(m): 9:18am On Jul 03, 2011
Absolut bunkum. How come gmail and chrome have succeeded despite the fact that google is a search engine.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by sleekfella(m): 9:59am On Jul 03, 2011
another social networking site. i think facebook is lossing its buzz actually, with about 6 million users closing thier page in US recently due to security issue. personally i am fade up with online socializing (facebook, tweet, even pinging) so i dont see any reason to join any more social network. but i think google will take facebook for hard ride because of their security.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 03, 2011
. and also google babes will soon be launched, i can't wait to sign up for it. (G-babe)

Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by shawonlese: 12:04pm On Jul 03, 2011
If google+ gives opportunity for revenue share with user's, Facebook will be forgotten in a hurry.
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Jeel: 12:13pm On Jul 03, 2011
They can't
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Abayomin70(m): 12:22pm On Jul 03, 2011
google will definetly beat facebook
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by Engrkandi(m): 12:40pm On Jul 03, 2011
buzugee:

not happening. i aint moving my 100 plus contacts with me to a new site. this can only work with the adventurous under 16s
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by DExplorer1: 1:45pm On Jul 03, 2011
Re: Can Google+ Compete With Facebook by ElRazur: 2:15pm On Jul 03, 2011
Why do most nigerians seem to have a mentality of all or nothing? People are forgetting that it is entirely possible for both social networks to exist side by side. You know, just as Apple and Microsoft existed side-by-side for years.

Anyway, to answer the question, Yes Google+ can compete with Facebook. As to whether this happens remains to be seen.  Let's not think this is a walk in the park for Facebook. Actually, it is far from it. After all, My Space, Friends, Bebo et al were all part of the "in thing" at some point before they faded off.

Nothing last forever and as such, it isn't entirely a fantasy to see facebook becoming deserted.

Last month, it was reported that in the UK alone over 100, 000 are leaving facebook every month etc. Is this a sign of things to come? Time will tell.

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but Mark Zuckerberg already opened a Google+ account and this is confirmed by people in the know that it is him. Now my question of course is why did he opened an account? While the answer will range from wanting to check out the opposition to how may be worried etc. Personally I feel it is more to do with both.

My two cents.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

For Beginners: 5 Top Ways To Generate Organic Traffic To Your Website / Picture Of My Hacked Site And How I Resolved The Problem / 6 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Buying A Domain Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.