Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,248 members, 7,815,368 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. (86949 Views)

Dozens Killed As Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Greece / Parenting In Canada...lets Connect !!!! / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ticha: 8:28am On Jan 18, 2023
Ebravo23:
Good morning ,

I would be coming next week with my daughter who is 16 and is in year 12 having done and passed her IGCSE back home. I have called the council and I was told council doesn't handle placement for 16 year olds! I was under the impression children attended school free till they are 18.
I would appreciate advice on how to go about this, I have started emailing schools directly and would love to lock down her school and then sort accommodation closer to her.

Thank you

You'll need to contact schools (for A levels) and colleges (for Diplomas etc) directly. Compulsory schooling ends at 16 although school leaving age is technically 18.

Most schools will need her last results for A level placements. It is a very academic 2 years and many schools won't accept any child that isn't academically capable of passing the exams (AS and A level).

It might or might not be free. School and college policies will dictate.

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ebravo23: 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2023
Thank you

Ticha:

You'll need to contact schools (for A levels) and colleges (for Diplomas etc) directly. Compulsory schooling ends at 16 although school leaving age is technically 18.

Most schools will need her last results for A level placements. It is a very academic 2 years and many schools won't accept any child that isn't academically capable of passing the exams (AS and A level).

It might or might not be free. School and college policies will dictate.

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by yr2020: 2:41pm On Jan 20, 2023
Hello house,

Please seniors in the house I need urgent help. I just moved to Scotland and I have been trying to get my kids(age 2 and 4) into school but I have been made to understand that they are not up to the age.

Now, all nurseries in our catchment area are claiming they are filled for the session till August this year.

I will start my masters this Monday and I don't know how to go about it. My timetable is so tight. I have classes everyday to evening time.

Any idea of Nigerian mothers community that can help . Or Any idea at all. I am so confused.

I would appreciate any advice from the house. Thank you
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Peerielass: 6:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
yr2020:
Hello house,

Please seniors in the house I need urgent help. I just moved to Scotland and I have been trying to get my kids(age 2 and 4) into school but I have been made to understand that they are not up to the age.

Now, all nurseries in our catchment area are claiming they are filled for the session till August this year.

I will start my masters this Monday and I don't know how to go about it. My timetable is so tight. I have classes everyday to evening time.

Any idea of Nigerian mothers community that can help . Or Any idea at all. I am so confused.

Are you here by yourself? This is why it’s really important to engage in some research before embarking on this japa journey…..childcare is a challenge and one of the biggest expense in this part of the world.

Your 4 year old would normally be entitled to 30hrs/week of free childcare but I’m not sure if this counts as public fund. You can use the link below to see if you can find a childminder with free spaces in your area. Whereabouts are you in Scotland?

https://www.childcare.co.uk/

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Zahra29: 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
Peerielass:

Are you here by yourself? This is why it’s really important to engage in some research before embarking on this japa journey…..childcare is a challenge and one of the biggest expense in this part of the world.

Your 4 year old would normally be entitled to 30hrs/week of free childcare but I’m not sure if this counts as public fund. You can use the link below to see if you can find a childminder with free spaces in your area. Whereabouts are you in Scotland?

Agreed

The amount of misinformation online is staggering. People making all sorts of spurious claims leading many to think everything will be free and easy (but such people are often nowhere to be found to offer real help when the rubber meets the road)

30 hours is public funding in England, but I believe applies to all 3 and 4 olds in Scotland irrespective of status

4 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Zahra29: 8:11pm On Jan 20, 2023
yr2020:
Hello house,

Try looking for childminders as Peerielass suggested as they are typically more flexible.
Also see if you can speak with your uni to see if they can make any adjustments eg online classes

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by DoubleN(m): 1:42pm On Jan 21, 2023
Good day all,

Please what type of Jobs can a Tier 2 dependent mom with child care responsibilities do from home?.

Thank you all.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by amanonymous(m): 2:23pm On Jan 21, 2023
Wow wow wow!!!..

I stumbled on this thread yesterday. I have been looking for a thread that specifically talks about living in Scotland as a studen. Have not been able to leave this thread cause it's been so educative. I have feeling it solves all my unanswered question.

Please I need your honest advise and reply..
I am a basic teacher here in Niaja..I am employed by Lagos state,but to be sincere I don't understand how the salary can't even cater for a family of four for two weeks,its been same thing happening every month,our economy here is so terrible,.me and wife agreed to relocate ..

I learnt that Uk are looking for teachers presently.

This re my questions ..

1.is it advisable to take on an MSC In education ,would this boost my chances of getting a permanent job as a teacher .

2.I watched a guy on you tube,who lives in Scotland and he said the best three courses that enables you get a job almost immediately are public health ,I.T,Engineering. Education wasn't included so am concerned.

3.Lastly,can I apply for public health for my MSC despite the fact that I read political science education in my first degree?.

4 which school is the best school to apply In Scotland based on fee,environment, good public school for kids and getting a permanent job afterwards?

Thanks for reply
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by amanonymous(m): 2:28pm On Jan 21, 2023
kaylov12:
So many topics to discuss on this thread but please can we discuss the PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM.

Most Naija parents feel they get quality education cheaply here which mostly is not the case.
I am a secondary school maths teacher and I weep for these children. Lack of motivation, apathy, to mention a few.

Asides creating a safe and enabling environment for students to learn, PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN UK AREN'T ANY DIFFERENT FROM THOSE IN NIGERIA.

Parents need to be more involved in their children's education.

Pls I need your humble advice..what course in education helps in getting a job faster as a teacher..

Am presently a teacher in Naija with Lagos state
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ticha: 1:16am On Jan 22, 2023
amanonymous:
Wow wow wow!!!..

Please I need your honest advise and reply..
I am a basic teacher here in Niaja..I am employed by Lagos state,but to be sincere I don't understand how the salary can't even cater for a family of four for two weeks,its been same thing happening every month,our economy here is so terrible,.me and wife agreed to relocate ..

I learnt that Uk are looking for teachers presently.

Start here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-qualified-teacher-status-qts-if-you-teach-outside-the-uk/routes-to-qualified-teacher-status-qts-for-teachers-and-those-with-teaching-experience-outside-the-uk
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Damilolly(f): 2:04am On Jan 22, 2023
babajeje123:
So I saw a video on my school WhatsApp about the incorporation of lgtb into relationship studies for primary schools come September. I looked for the full video online and fortunately I found it here https://www.tiktok.com/@globalfunzone/video/7184360909089918213?is_from_webapp=v1&item_id=7184360909089918213

While I don't have a problem with anyone becoming whatever they want, I have a lot of problem with my kids been a part of these lessons and I feel the easiest way out for now is to subscribe to home schooling. Please how do one go about it?

Home Schooling isn't common with Nigerians both in diaspora and back home; even amongst Nigerian Christians. However, amongst the oyinbos and particularly oyinbo Baptist Christians it's very common. There's also some black Christian families who home school but none I know are Nigerians. Some of these are now in University. One recently graduated with a first in Theology from Cambridge.

It's a nice community from what I'm told and see. They have days out with other home schooling kids and it seems especially good for boys.
Many people still view home schooling as weird and susceptible to abuse. I also viewed it with a lot of suspicion and never considered it a possibility until I met many families practicing it including a black family who were in regular education and then started considering home schooling and have now been doing it for three years and very happy.

Below are some sign posts you might find helpful.

https://chessuk.org/
https://christian-education.org.uk/
https://christianhomeschooling.education/
https://home-ed.info/
https://oscar.org.uk/resources/home-education-resources-general

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by onegig(m): 6:28am On Jan 22, 2023
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by HollyMadison(f): 10:59pm On Jan 31, 2023
Hi mamas and papas, hope we are all good..

Please can anyone share tips on inviting grandma for omugwo? due date is mid 2023 and we want to start processing visit visa now.

Thank you 🙏🏽
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 6:34pm On Feb 05, 2023
Hi everyone!

Just a random And naughty thought here. How do you enjoy intimacy with your partner in these youkay houses that have no locks and extremely thin walls ? Especially with the children all over the place

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mimilyrics: 12:42am On Feb 06, 2023
Ship them off to spend time with their cousins for a few hours, wait till the kids are asleep, get at it while they are at school if you work flexible hours that allow you to be home during the day, sneak into the bathroom and lock the door if it's got a lock grin
babythug:
Hi everyone!

Just a random And naughty thought here. How do you enjoy intimacy with your partner in these youkay houses that have no locks and extremely thin walls ? Especially with the children all over the place

4 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by yr2020: 11:18am On Feb 06, 2023
Thanks you to everyone that responded to my worry. I have been able to secure a nursery school for my four year old.

Please can anyone share the link to check if this falls under public fund. I thought three years upward is entitled irrespective of being a citizen or not.

Kindly enlighten me.

Thank you
Peerielass:

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Zahra29: 3:56pm On Feb 06, 2023
yr2020:
Thanks you to everyone that responded to my worry. I have been able to secure a nursery school for my four year old.

Please can anyone share the link to check if this falls under public fund. I thought three years upward is entitled irrespective of being a citizen or not.

Kindly enlighten me.

Thank you

In England, all children over the age of 3 get 15 hours funded childcare irrespective of status. 30 hours funding is dependent on settled/permanent status and income related checks.
The rules might be different in Scotland

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by CheesyTee(f): 4:18pm On Feb 06, 2023
This has been helpful! It's on amazon.

babythug:
Hi everyone!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by semmyk(m): 8:28am On Feb 07, 2023
This is a cross post from the Living in the UK thread @Mamatukwas, hope this is in order.
What's compulsory School Age. YouKay gov talk say na ... pikin wey dey start school after Dem don reach 5yrs:
Your child must start full-time education once they reach compulsory school age. This is on 31 December, 31 March or 31 August following their fifth birthday - whichever comes first. If your child’s fifth birthday is on one of those dates then they reach compulsory school age on that date.

For all things NRPF, the go to is NRPF Network .
Wolverhampton Council also has a good compilation.

PS: Possibly, these should also feature in the Parenting in the UK thread @Mamatukwas, how you take see am.
rinzylee:
A new family in my city here (Man , wife and 3 kids (2 girls and 1 boy) moved in October. Man is a a student and wife just started care job today.
Their son who is the eldest goes to a school close-by, but the girls have to wait till September for a space so they had to secure another school 6 miles away.

This new school sends a taxi to pick the girls everyday at the cost of the school. I am worried this may be public funds. I said they should confirm that this would not cause some trouble in future. I asked the woman again yesterday and she said her husband said it is not, but pleaded I help her verify.
Biko my people, are they safe with this free taxi
Is it a trap?
Is it public funds
... ...
Akorkor:
Simple google will clear the doubt. This is not a public funds. https://www.gov.uk/free-school-transport

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Agbekehorla(f): 10:58am On Feb 07, 2023
Hello

What jobs can a 17 year old female do while waiting for school to commence. Just don't wanna sit at home. Visa says "restricted work"

Thanks a lot.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Shorty2022: 5:41am On Feb 08, 2023
Noted
Damilolly:

Home Schooling isn't common with Nigerians both in diaspora and back home; even amongst Nigerian Christians. However, amongst the oyinbos and particularly oyinbo Baptist Christians it's very common. There's also some black Christian families who home school but none I know are Nigerians. Some of these are now in University. One recently graduated with a first in Theology from Cambridge.

It's a nice community from what I'm told and see. They have days out with other home schooling kids and it seems especially good for boys.
Many people still view home schooling as weird and susceptible to abuse. I also viewed it with a lot of suspicion and never considered it a possibility until I met many families practicing it including a black family who were in regular education and then started considering home schooling and have now been doing it for three years and very happy.

Below are some sign posts you might find helpful.

https://chessuk.org/
https://christian-education.org.uk/
https://christianhomeschooling.education/
https://home-ed.info/
https://oscar.org.uk/resources/home-education-resources-general

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Chreze(m): 3:22am On Feb 10, 2023
Agbekehorla:
Hello

What jobs can a 17 year old female do while waiting for school to commence. Just don't wanna sit at home. Visa says "restricted work"

Thanks a lot.

Baking Assistant is one I like. She will help the baker with taking measurement and portioning of flour, sugar and its likes. She will also do little baking stuffs like cutting and basic designing of cup cakes and cookies. Depending on her interest and passion (most importantly the bakers she’s working with), she can become a baker in a short time.

Tho she will be paid by age, and it may seem to be less for the stress attached to a baking assistant work, It’s just an easy ticket to becoming a full baker.

4 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by misterkelly: 12:35pm On Feb 19, 2023
Anyone in Doncaster please?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Agbekehorla(f): 9:48pm On Feb 19, 2023
[quThank you
ote author=Chreze post=120777987]

Baking Assistant is one I like. She will help the baker with taking measurement and portioning of flour, sugar and its likes. She will also do little baking stuffs like cutting and basic designing of cup cakes and cookies. Depending on her interest and passion (most importantly the bakers she’s working with), she can become a baker in a short time.

Tho she will be paid by age, and it may seem to be less for the stress attached to a baking assistant work, It’s just an easy ticket to becoming a full baker. [/quote]
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by rayralph(m): 10:11pm On Feb 19, 2023
babythug:
Hi everyone!

During school hours or

Ship them off to fellow church members house or

Play music while at it.

cheesy grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by semmyk(m): 4:54pm On Feb 26, 2023
Crosspost from Living in the UK thread
bigtt76:
The Nigerian Community Association in Bradford (NCAB), presents an interactive session on "parenting / Children Law UK"

Children are our future and we must do right to raise them right. Given the cultural conflict on how to raise children in Nigeria, compared to the UK, the Nigerian Community Association in Bradford is organising an interactive session, with expert and experienced discussions on how to train our kids right, without falling foul of the British laws.
The highly anticipated workshop is scheduled to hold as follows

Session: An interactive session on "parenting / Children Law UK"

Date: Sunday, February 26th 2023

Time: 6pm

Venue: Zoom https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5260377898?pwd=Z09ZOUhLM0s3MkN3ZVBUek4vVzNIZz09

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mizGene(f): 12:20pm On Mar 04, 2023
Zahra29:

In England, all children over the age of 3 get 15 hours funded childcare irrespective of status. 30 hours funding is dependent on settled/permanent status and income related checks.
The rules might be different in Scotland
At what age do they get full time access?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by UmeakaChisom: 12:46pm On Mar 11, 2023
Please does anyone know about childcare in Leeds especially nanny or childminders
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Damdad(f): 9:21am On Mar 23, 2023
Good morning all, I’m currently on tier 4 visa . My son started school in February but I want to take him back to Nigeria to stay with my mum . Is it okay to mail his school about this ? Or I have to go in person .
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by willyede(m): 10:22am On Mar 23, 2023
UmeakaChisom:
Please does anyone know about childcare in Leeds especially nanny or childminders

I came across this site for childminders. Don't know if it can be of help. Goggle them: childcare. Co. Uk

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Portugal Opens World's Longest Pedestrian Suspension Bridge On Mountains(Pics) / Saudi Prince Flies With His 80 Hawks After Buying Air-flight Tickets For Them / Tanker Explodes On Lagos - Ibadan Expressway, Vehicles Got Burnt(Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.