Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,225 members, 7,842,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? (10384 Views)

Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? / Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry / Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by kcjazz(m): 3:36am On Jul 01, 2011
@Alj Harem

I don't think building an International Airport is the issue, especially since the Margeret Ekpo airport is still open. However, I think a cheaper means of moving people to this location is needed, maybe a small air shuttle business, quick, safe and faster one day movements.

I still wonder why they have not made any movies here, if indeed it is a world class studio?

Still believe $450 is too much for a 80,000 sq meter space and based on the State's income they should have built in phases of $100 million. Biggest mall in America, is 320,000 sq and cost $650 million even with inflation rates, Tinapa still exorbitant per sq meter

Bottomline, they have a marketing problem, Calabar is beautiful but this guys have no clue what to do with it. tongue There is a market but they must change focus in line with new realities.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 3:38am On Jul 01, 2011
Mariory:

Seriously alj_harem, what are you blabbing about? Of what use is another Federal airport going to be when the Federal seaport is off limits to the businesses that will bring in the people for shopping.

fedral seaport will not bring people for shopping

shipments of goods from 1 part of the country to another will not affect the rate of contumers to a particular area

if the location is conducive then demand will always exceed supply

calabar is not conducive for people from all other walks of life to go just for "tinapa"

there are convient way for people to go in there and that is even why it has not recived good investment from private firms because they see this underlaying problem
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by Mariory(m): 3:41am On Jul 01, 2011
I am going to try to break it down for you cause I sense this thread is going off course.

Tinapa = Business resort targeted at [size=14pt]wealthy Nigerians[/size].

Why do you keep talking about an international airport and why are Customs refusing to allow Tinapa businesses to use the Sea Port?
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 3:43am On Jul 01, 2011
kcjazz:

@Alj Harem

I don't think building an International Airport is the issue, especially since the Margeret Ekpo airport is still open. However, I think a cheaper means of moving people to this location is needed, maybe a small air shuttle business, quick, safe and faster one day movements.

I still wonder why they have not made any movies here, if indeed it is a world class studio?

Still believe $450 is too much for a 10,000 sq meter space and based on the State's income they should have built in phases of $100 million. Biggest mall in America, is 320,000 sq and cost $650 million even with inflation rates, Tinapa still exorbitant per sq meter

Bottomline, they have a marketing problem, Calabar is beautiful but this guys have no clue what to do with it. tongue There is a market but they must change focus in line with new realities.

now someone is thinking

i know calabar is a beautiful city because i have been there around the 1993 or so

and that is way silverbird invested in lagos first so has to genenrate capital for abuja and now its going to port harcount

u have to get a good location or good transportion so people can go to ur mall, shop conviantly without stress and spend there money there.

no one whats to go throught stress before spending there money
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by pleep(m): 3:46am On Jul 01, 2011
Still believe $450 is too much for a 10,000 sq meter space and based on the State's income they should have built in phases of $100 million. Biggest mall in America, is 320,000 sq and cost $650 million even with inflation rates, Tinapa still exorbitant per sq meter
That is just rediculous. . .  angry
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by EzeUche(m): 3:46am On Jul 01, 2011
Wealthy Nigerians believe traveling out of Nigeria is a sign of their wealth.

Unfortunately, some people in my family is of this opinion.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 3:46am On Jul 01, 2011
Mariory:

I am going to try to break it down for you cause I sense this thread is going off course.

Tinapa = Business resort targeted at [size=14pt]wealthy Nigerians[/size].

Why do you keep talking about an international airport and why are Customs refusing to allow Tinapa businesses to use the Sea Port?

and how many wealthy nigerians do we have ?

i thought tinapa is a form of tourism place in which people can come and spend there money thus generating revenun for the state

if it is only for "wealthy nigerian" then they are not looking to generate proper reveenu then, i mean with the money invested in such a project undecided yet it is only for the "few" wealthy nigerians grin grin grin

it means the state is not serious
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 3:47am On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

Wealthy Nigerians believe traveling out of Nigeria is a sign of their wealth.

Unfortunately, some people in my family is of this opinion.

yes that is correct
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by EkoIle1: 4:00am On Jul 01, 2011
See fingers pointing everywhere.

The fact is>>>

Nigerians don't vacation culture

Many Nigerians barely have enough money  to put food on the table so where is the vacation or Tinapa entertainment money going to come from?

National and state infrastructural failures also doomed Tinapa. Tinapa is not easily accessible to many Nigerians outside and inside Calabar, we don't have safe and dedicated roads to transport people from every corner of Nigeria to Tinapa, air transportation is not cost effective for many Nigerians and their pockets, rich Nigerians don't want to have anything to do with local attractions, they prefer to jet outside the country.

We need a good federal highway system connecting every state and major cities in Nigeria with easy access to major attractions.

Tinapa remains a great idea, Nigeria is just not ready, our leaders are not ready, our people don't have disposable income to feed and enrich Tinapa with, our transportation infrastructures sucks, everything just suxs right now.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 4:04am On Jul 01, 2011
Eko Ile:

See fingers pointing everywhere.

The fact is>>>

Nigerians don't vacation culture

Many Nigerians barely have enough money  to put food on the table so where is the vacation or Tinapa entertainment money going to come from?

National and state infrastructural failures also doomed Tinapa. Tinapa is not easily accessible to many Nigerians outside and inside Calabar, we don't have safe and dedicated roads to transport people from every corner of Nigeria to Tinapa, air transportation is not cost effective for many Nigerians and their pockets, rich Nigerians don't want to have anything to do with local attractions, they prefer to jet outside the country.

We need a good federal highway system connecting every state and major cities in Nigeria with easy access to major attractions.

Tinapa remains a great idea, Nigeria is just not ready, our leaders are not ready, our people don't have disposable income to feed and enrich Tinapa with, our transportation infrastructures sucks, everything just suxs right now.

very good analysis

just buried this thread, thanks
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by ebere1712: 4:57am On Jul 01, 2011
alj_harem:

bros, u are very stu.pid for u statement

why not go to nigeria and buy innoson car and be driving urself, u can not force people to buy a car from a company we do not trust its safety regulation because innonso is a nigeria made company
this kind of people, my friends, is why Nigeria is going no where and why some igbos keep clamoring for their own country.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 5:18am On Jul 01, 2011
ebere1712:

this kind of people, my friends, is why Nigeria is going no where and why some igbos keep clamoring for their own country.

this thread is not about igbo forming there own country

but if they want to do so then by all mean please they can go, i do not beleive anyone shuld be forced in a union they do not like undecided

but taking ijaw, ibibio etc land will cause war

as i said, innoson car need to do something about there marketing stragy

no one can force globacom on you or dangote sugar on you so why should we force innoson cars on other just because it is built in nigeria or according to alex101 and maybe u it is built by igbos undecided

if the car is substandard, we can not say because we do not have proper health and safety officers to regulate innoson cars products

NIGERIA SHOULD NOT RISK THE LIFES OF PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE WE WANT TO SATISFY A GROUP OF PEOPLE ,., impossible

although i support innoson cars more an any toyota etc but we need a regularty body to keep them in check

according to what i can see, it is substandard because if it is high grade produce, the good people of enugu, anambra etc will be driving innoson cars or majority of them would be doing so

when globacom started, it begun in lagos (SW state) and the people loved it and it later spread to ogun and other south western state before moving to other parts of the country

same with onado, dangote, eleganza, spog, so i don't see why SE can not do same by buying innoson cars then the good people of nigeria would see how good the product is and then buy the product

u see my friend charity begins at home
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by apache77(m): 4:50pm On Jul 01, 2011
[b]Tinapa was doomed from inception because the per capita income of Calabar residents is very low. The most immediate market of any wak in business is the surrounding population. Those are the people who sustain the business before the secondary markets are accessed. The local population must buy into such a business before the others from afar can come. Calabar residents didn’t just have the financial muscle to patronize it. So long as the primary market (in dis case calabar residents) lack the purchasing power to keep it going, then there’s is nothing anybody could hav done.

Tinapa is an upscale resort where luxury goods and high end services are provided- expensive salons, designer stores, jewellery shops, expensive hotels that come with high maintenance. Rent there is expensive, so are maintenance costs. These costs are built into prices offered by different businesses there. If the people cannot afford those prices, they wont come, and the businesses will close shop.

Game at shoprite in Lagos sells flatscreens for 900k some 1m.People in Lagos can afford it, so Game can remain in business. SPAR at Ceddi plaza in Abuja sells normal laptops for as much as 250k, and even though people can afford such, they still struggle for patronage. Take a trip to Ceddi plaza in Abuja, many tenants there have left becasue of high rents and low patronage. Barcellos at Silverbird Abuja sell a plate f rice and chicken for N1,800, wat Tantalizers normally sell for about N900 on the street. If a Mr Biggs or Tantalizers located in Tinapa, Ceddi or Silverbird is paying close to 15m annually, is it the N200 meat pie that will keep the business afloat? It comes down to bottomline, they must make sales to survive and their prices are always marked up by almost 200%.

Low income people will always go for less costly alternatives nearer them. Instead of patronizing Nandos in Tinapa, they will patronize the nandos in town. Instead of going to buy a designer bag there, they;l go to the normal stores. Person wey never chop belleful dey go watch cinema for N1,500? NopeTinapa has failed in Calabar, and it would have failed in many of the low income areas like Ilorin, makurdi, jos, Kaduna, akure etc.Theirs was a case of poor planning occassioned by poor economic analysis.[/b]
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by joecrack(m): 4:51pm On Jul 01, 2011
You put in a whooping $450m on a project and 4-5years after,it gives you nothing,yea yea only a dumb duke would do something like that,imagine if he had invested massively in agriculture with that money,
CR state is just too blessed,are we talking of the cocoa( that has trained and is still training all my family members btw we are over 24)in the northern and central part of the state,to the bananas,plantains,
omg palm trees that grow on their own or what,is it the pineapple in CR South,
enormous agriculture venture DUKE should have invested in,he brings a dumb project without weighing the prospects and options.Now he has left a highly indebted state,a retardo-governor who has no clue on what to do with the place.And crossiverians i blame,they've decided to run a one party state,perhaps the only state with no opposition,come next year,they'll still vote lmoke whose certificate in intl economics from a foreign university is questionable.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by AjanleKoko: 4:58pm On Jul 01, 2011
Nigerians can spend any amount of money on capital projects, but OPEX always scores a big red F for all our big money projects.
We build them, but we can't run them, or even maintain them. sad
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 4:59pm On Jul 01, 2011
apache77:

[b]Tinapa was doomed from inception because the per capita income of Calabar residents is very low. The most immediate market of any wak in business is the surrounding population. Those are the people who sustain the business before the secondary markets are accessed. The local population must buy into such a business before the others from afar can come. Calabar residents didn’t just have the financial muscle to patronize it. So long as the primary market (in dis case calabar residents) lack the purchasing power to keep it going, then there’s is nothing anybody could hav done.

Tinapa is an upscale resort where luxury goods and high end services are provided- expensive salons, designer stores, jewellery shops, expensive hotels that come with high maintenance. Rent there is expensive, so are maintenance costs. These costs are built into prices offered by different businesses there. If the people cannot afford those prices, they wont come, and the businesses will close shop.

Game at shoprite in Lagos sells flatscreens for 900k some 1m.People in Lagos can afford it, so Game can remain in business. SPAR at Ceddi plaza in Abuja sells normal laptops for as much as 250k, and even though people can afford such, they still struggle for patronage. Take a trip to Ceddi plaza in Abuja, many tenants there have left becasue of high rents and low patronage. Barcellos at Silverbird Abuja sell a plate f rice and chicken for N1,800, wat Tantalizers normally sell for about N900 on the street. If a Mr Biggs or Tantalizers located in Tinapa, Ceddi or Silverbird is paying close to 15m annually, is it the N200 meat pie that will keep the business afloat? It comes down to bottomline, they must make sales to survive and their prices are always marked up by almost 200%.

Low income people will always go for less costly alternatives nearer them. Instead of patronizing Nandos in Tinapa, they will patronize the nandos in town. Instead of going to buy a designer bag there, they;l go to the normal stores. Person wey never chop belleful dey go watch cinema for N1,500? NopeTinapa has failed in Calabar, and it would have failed in many of the low income areas like Ilorin, makurdi, jos, Kaduna, akure etc.Theirs was a case of poor planning occassioned by poor economic analysis.[/b]

good
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by orble: 5:09pm On Jul 01, 2011
MAY GOD SAVE TINAPA

Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by icemann(m): 5:15pm On Jul 01, 2011
Another White Elephant project. Tinapa was a dead on arrival project embarassed
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by Obiagu1(m): 5:17pm On Jul 01, 2011
They should start selling lands to Igbos first.  Tinapa cannot succeed with few people in Calabar.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by ezeagu(m): 5:19pm On Jul 01, 2011
Obiagu1:

They should start selling lands to Igbos first.  Tinapa cannot succeed with few people in Calabar.

This is (was) not the problem.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by DisGuy: 5:19pm On Jul 01, 2011
So all the SOUTHERN SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVE were sleeping when the Northerners were killing it or they were locked up in a room?

Even after how many years the SE/SE senators and reps are barred from pushing for some reforms right?

always quick to blame other people whilst their own reps are in the same room carrying ghana must go!!!
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by Obiagu1(m): 5:23pm On Jul 01, 2011
ezeagu:

This is (was) not the problem.

. . . and you think so?
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by otokx(m): 5:26pm On Jul 01, 2011
TINAPA plan was faulty
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by joecrack(m): 5:29pm On Jul 01, 2011
orble:

MAY GOD SAVE TINAPA

no need bringing God into this,he's done his part by giving men good thinking faculty,
its quite sad many dont use it,
you dont build such luxuries in a state like CR,nope that's not what the people need,you've got to empower them,and give them jobs,its only when you have money you think of flexing.
And the dumb notion by DUKE that tinapa is meant for the rich across Nigeria to come relax and spend is so lame,what was he thinking,building malls exclusively for the rich,oo duke,and most nigerians think he is clever ha ha though handsome i must add.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 5:32pm On Jul 01, 2011
Obiagu1:

why igbos why not ijaws or fulanis or yorubas

why igbos

i would really really appreciate it if u can tell me\us the reason

or are u trying to say there are not igbos in calabar market and other areas already
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by icemann(m): 5:36pm On Jul 01, 2011
It was just a means to launder money by Donald duke and Peter odili.  Every Multi-million project should have a Feasibility study. i would love to the them publish it
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by tpia5: 5:38pm On Jul 01, 2011
i thought tinapa was meant as a tourist attraction for people interested in visiting nigeria.

so why hasnt there been overseas advertising showcasing the place since there are quite a lot of non-nigerians who would love to visit the country.

quite a lot of slaves were taken from that general region too.

as for nigerians themselves going there, well, not everyone is comfortable travelling outside their comfort zone.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by EzeUche(m): 5:40pm On Jul 01, 2011
alj_harem:

why igbos why not ijaws or fulanis or yorubas

why igbos

i would really really appreciate it if u can tell me\us the reason

or are u trying to say there are not igbos in calabar market and other areas already

They need to ban you as well. The mods already dealt with Rhino, fstranger and Seanet. Now it is your turn. angry
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by aljharem3: 5:41pm On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

They need to ban you as well. The mods already dealt with Rhino, fstranger and Seanet. Now it is your turn. angry

why should they ban me, have i said anything wrong or against the forum rules
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by ibnew: 6:01pm On Jul 01, 2011
@ alj harem, apache77 and Eko ile - have done justice to this topic. Well done. I wonder why despite the abundant human resources that the world over claim Nigeria has, we still have cases like this.

I think it was good for a govt to have a dream and then source for funds to make it come true. But I think in Nigeria in most cases whether south east north or west we do not see initial planning, detailed feasibility studies and all round economies of the project as a key determining factor of the success.

I believe if knowledgeable people in these  areas are gathered as project teams for this projects, Tinapa and so many other project scattered all over the nation will not be failures.

Nigeria need to locate businesses based on economies and not politics, involve the right people and just party members. Even my secondary school economics say factors that affect location are, nearness to raw materials, market, good roads, power and availability of labour etc. I no bi economist o!

I pray GOD to wake us up one day so that we will be able to do things right.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by Rhea(f): 6:09pm On Jul 01, 2011
The problem with Tinapa is the same problem with PHCN, NNPC and Nigeria as a whole. We lack maintenance culture. We can build but cannot run/maintain.

A country like Nigeria endowed with so many natural sites and locations does not need a multimillion naira edifice to establish a tourism industry. We have all the bush, waterfalls, rivers, streams, forests, games and flora that should put us at the forefront of tourism in Africa. But we would rather wish to make a Dubai out of Calabar or a New York out of Lagos.

There is a lot to learn from the tourism industries in Kenya, Malawi, Botswana, Lesotho, Tanzania. Then we need to put things right in Nigeria. Security, Power, rule of law. A description of Nigeria in the tourism map reads like Fallujah or Kabul. It will take more than advert on CNN to lure tourists to Calabar while Kidnappers are running a show barely 100km away in Uyo.
Re: Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? by Ikengawo: 6:38pm On Jul 01, 2011
There's nothing special about tinapa. Evrything is mediocre. Ppl called it dubai in nigeria but dubai has the wrlds tallest building and man made islands. Tinapa has a mediocre water park that's in every america town, mediocre mal that's in every american town and boring low rise buildings that make the place look like a mediocre downtown sector of every american town, not even city. Plus very few nigerians knw about it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tribapay Platinum Dollar Card Is Superb! It Works So Well / NCC Closes First Bank Branch Ibadan Over Illegal Internet Use / How To Manage A Startup Business Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.