Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City (20928 Views)

Ukraine's Mariupol City Has Been '90%' Destroyed After Russia Besieged It / Ukraine Zelensky Begs For Fresh Talks, As Russia Entered Besieged Mariupol City / Photos Of Giant Crater Left By The 1000kg Bomb That Hit Mariupol Kids Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by HonNL: 7:53am On Mar 21, 2022
https://www.nairaland.com/7039353/russia-gives-ukraine-5-deadline#111218373

Ukraine rejects Russian demand for surrender in Mariupol

Ukrainian officials defiantly rejected a Russian demand that their forces in Mariupol lay down arms and raise white flags Monday in exchange for safe passage out of the besieged strategic port city.

Russia has been barraging the encircled southern city on the Sea of Azov, hitting an art school sheltering some 400 people only hours before offering to open two corridors out of the city in return for the capitulation of its defenders, according to Ukrainian officials.

Fighting for Mariupol has continued to be intense, even as the Russian offensive in other areas has floundered to the point where Western governments and analysts see the broader conflict grinding into a war of attrition.

Ukrainian officials rejected the Russian proposal for safe passage out of Mariupol even before Moscow’s 5 a.m. deadline for a response came and went.

“There can be no talk of any surrender, laying down of arms,” Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Irina Vereshchuk told the news outlet Ukrainian Pravda. “We have already informed the Russian side about this.”

Mariupol Mayor Piotr Andryushchenko also rejected the offer shortly after it was made, saying in a Facebook post he didn’t need to wait until the morning deadline to respond and cursing at the Russians, according to the news agency Interfax Ukraine.

Russian Col. Gen. Mikhail Mizintsev had offered two corridors — one heading east toward Russia and the other west to other parts of Ukraine. He did not say what Russia planned if the offer was rejected.

The Russian Ministry of Defense said authorities in Mariupol could face a military tribunal if they sided with what it described as “bandits,” the Russian state news agency RIA Novosti reported.

Earlier attempts to evacuate civilian residents from Mariupol and other Ukrainian cities have failed or only partly succeeded, with bombardments continuing as civilians sought to flee.

Tearful evacuees from devastated Mariupol have described how “battles took place over every street.”

Ahead of the latest offer, a Russian airstrike hit the school where some 400 civilians had been taking shelter and it was not clear how many casualties there were, Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a video address early Monday.

“They are under the rubble, and we don’t know how many of them have survived,” he said.

The fall of Mariupol would allow Russian forces in southern and eastern Ukraine to unite. But Western military analysts say that even if the surrounded city is taken, the troops battling a block at a time for control there may be too depleted to help secure Russian breakthroughs on other fronts.

Ukrainians “have not greeted Russian soldiers with a bunch of flowers,” Zelenskyy told CNN, but with “weapons in their hands.”

Three weeks into the invasion, the two sides now seem to be trying to wear down the other, experts say, with bogged-down Russian forces launching long-range missiles at cities and military bases as Ukrainian forces carry out hit-and-run attacks and seek to sever Russian supply lines.

“The block-by-block fighting in Mariupol itself is costing the Russian military time, initiative, and combat power,” the Washington-based Institute for the Study of War said in a briefing.

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Ukrainian resistance means Russian President Vladimir Putin’s “forces on the ground are essentially stalled.”

“It’s had the effect of him moving his forces into a woodchipper,” Austin told CBS on Sunday.

The strike on the art school was the second time in less than a week that officials reported an attack on a public building where Mariupol residents had taken shelter. On Wednesday, a bomb hit a theater where more than 1,000 people were believed to be sheltering.

There was no immediate word on casualties in the school attack, which The Associated Press could not independently verify. Ukrainian officials have not given an update on the search of the theater since Friday, when they said at least 130 people had been rescued and another 1,300 were trapped by rubble.

City officials and aid groups say food, water and electricity have run low in Mariupol and fighting has kept out humanitarian convoys. Communications are severed.

The city has been under bombardment for over three weeks and has seen some of the worst horrors of the war. City officials said at least 2,300 people have died, with some buried in mass graves.

Some who were able to flee Mariupol tearfully hugged relatives as they arrived by train Sunday in Lviv, about 1,100 kilometers (680 miles) to the west.

“Battles took place over every street. Every house became a target,” said Olga Nikitina, who was embraced by her brother as she got off the train. “Gunfire blew out the windows. The apartment was below freezing.”

In Ukraine’s major cities, hundreds of men, women and children have been killed in Russian attacks.

In Kyiv, emergency services reported four people killed by shelling not far from the center of the capital Sunday. Loud explosions were heard as a shopping center and cars in a parking lot caught fire, they said.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said Russian shelling hit several houses in the densely populated Podil district.

Russian troops have been shelling Kyiv for a fourth week now and are trying to surround the capital, which had nearly 3 million people before the war.

The U.N. has confirmed 902 civilian deaths in the war but concedes the actual toll is likely much higher. It says nearly 3.4 million people have fled Ukraine. Estimates of Russian deaths vary, but even conservative figures are in the low thousands.

Some Russians also have fled their country amid a widespread crackdown on dissent. Russia has arrested thousands of antiwar protesters, muzzled independent media and cut access to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.

SOURCE

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:55am On Mar 21, 2022
Someone tell Putin he is daydreaming how do you expect them to surrender to you a bloody dictator... grin
I think Russia should instead surrender to Ukraine now.. cheesy

Ukrainians are ready to fight till their last breath.. Putin should deal with that.. grin

109 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by ValCon888: 8:06am On Mar 21, 2022
People forget that in a battlefield where both parties use modern weapons it is always going to be a war of attrition.

Both parties will suffer heavy losses, heavy casualties and it will be a question of who has the determination, fortitude and will to grind out the win.

Look at Afghanistan. Even with the massive military and technological advantage, the US couldn't vanquish the Taliban.

Look at Japan. The Allied Forces had total control over the Japanese sky, and dropping bombs at will. And yet, it still took two nuclear bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki to get the Japanese to bend the knee.

This war is seriously at Russia's disadvantage. Ukraine has nothing to lose. Their homeland is already destroyed. And unlike Afghanistan, they have superior weapons to match the Russians in battle.

Unless Russia is ready to drop nuclear bombs on Ukraine, this is one war that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Elvictor: 8:23am On Mar 21, 2022
I hope you people won't come here and say Putin isn't merciful, drop your arms and leave the City, but you people said no.

Putin, I hope you know what to do, those idiots are not human, bomb them out of oblivion.

God bless mother Russia

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by MangekyoAlt: 8:47am On Mar 21, 2022
The city is already surrounded. The russians have them at their mercy grin
For them to even ask them to consider surrendering is an art of generosity on their part.
Now that the "Brave" Ukrainian troops have refused to, I hope snowflakes from the west and their silly bots on this forum wouldn't come here to scream foul or war crime when russia starts leveling the city to the ground.
Hundreds, thousands will die. This is the realities of war. And according to Thanos "Reality is often disappointing". Ukrainian troops should wake up to the fact that mariopul has been cut off from the rest of Ukraine and do as they're told else, I hope them no go start to dey post on their medias say Russia bombard their city into rubbles

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Merisbankie(m): 9:13am On Mar 21, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:
Someone tell Putin he is daydreaming how do you expect them to surrender to you a bloody dictator... grin
I think Russia should rather surrender to Ukraine now.. cheesy

Ukrainians are ready to fight till their last breath.. Putin should deal with that.. grin
Tooor
Let's wait and see
Stop screaming
Zelensky where you dae
I dae for Poland
Putin don light werey ass leave usa dae beg Israel for defense system
E go still beg bubu for soldiers

22 Likes

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Merisbankie(m): 9:16am On Mar 21, 2022
ValCon888:
People forget that in a battlefield where both parties use modern weapons it is always going to be a war of attrition.

Both parties will suffer heavy losses, heavy casualties and it will be a question of who has the determination, fortitude and will to grind out the win.

Look at Afghanistan. Even with the massive military and technological advantage, the US couldn't vanquish the Taliban.

Look at Japan. The Allied Forces had total control over the Japanese sky, and dropping bombs at will. And yet, it still took two nuclear bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki to get the Japanese to bend the knee.

This war is seriously at Russia's disadvantage. Ukraine has nothing to lose. Their homeland is already destroyed. And unlike Afghanistan, they have superior weapons to match the Russians in battle.

Unless Russia is ready to drop nuclear bombs on Ukraine, this is one war that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.
You got it wrong
So russia don't have weapons to match Ukraine
So tell me why usa came out to say russia has not used ant modern warfare
Yet Ukraine dae in rubbles
La's la's
Ukrainians go merge with polish

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by hayzed19(m): 9:27am On Mar 21, 2022
The same chenchen soldiers are said to be on the move in Mariupol.
The same fake news that declared chenchen commander Magomed Tushayev dead but resurrected a few days ago in Mariupol?
I only pity the innocent people who have allowed these leaders to play politics with their lives.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by ken6488(m): 10:34am On Mar 21, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:
I think Russia should rather surrender to Ukraine now.. cheesy

300 Sparta grin

5 Likes

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by seunny4lif(m): 10:48am On Mar 21, 2022
hayzed19:
The same chenchen soldiers are said to be on the move in Mariupol.
The same fake news that declared chenchen commander Magomed Tushayev dead but resurrected a few days ago in Mariupol?
I only pity the innocent people who have allowed these leaders to play politics with their lives.
I told someone here that Magomed Tushayev is not dead and he said maybe the twitter and Telegram account are fake that Magomed Tushayev is dead according to CNN and BBC grin grin grin

Same MSM that told us Russia navy killed Ukraine troops on Snake Island grin grin but only for those troops to revoked the news that their own President said they are dead

USA and her allies lapdogs aka NATO don’t even give civilians or military any chance in Libya and Iraq.
I witnessed Libya with what NATO did to Tripoli and Sirte embarassed embarassed embarassed

15 Likes

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Therugs: 1:16pm On Mar 21, 2022
Want your own type of carpets/center rugs/Wallpapers/fur rugs/Grass carpets?
Choose the prettiest one from our collection of plenty��. It lasts for long and it is scratch and tear free.
Let's beautify your new apartments /offices.
And we also do cleaning and installation of your rugs/center rugs e.t.c....
We never unsatisfied you...
#comfortableflooring
#cheapcarpets
#carpetmakers
#installcarpets
Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Mumusaphire: 1:16pm On Mar 21, 2022
Ok. Pls is Ukraine not a country on it's own? Why will one country will be dictating to other country. Can Russia accept such also?

16 Likes

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Eridaju(m): 1:16pm On Mar 21, 2022
Russia is just taking it easy with Ukraine . They don't want to use their full power on Ukraine. %80 of Russia's weapon haven't been used.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by nedubrazil111(m): 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
Russia them Dey mad

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Thermodynamics(m): 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
That's their business, they can kill themselves for all I care, if it was an African Country fighting war the world won't give a fúck.

When it comes to the black race, both the Russians and Ukrainers will unite against us, Africa is where it is today because of these so called white people. I don't even know why we call them "white people" they look yellow.

Kingozymandias:
I am Ozymandias,..my life hasn't been easy . Infact I dare say it has been hard , tough and unforgiving.
It has also taught me few lessons... The most crucial is to Live and die for something..
Ask me to do anything but never ask me to live on my knees... Rather die on your feet as a man than live on your knees...

Bettwr be mocked for your stance today than to be enslaved for your weakness tomorrow.

I stan with Ukraine.

Being a man isn't having a penis...
Being a man is having the guts to bleed for what you believe in...

You stand with Ukraine, bro, Ukraine people nor know you, they don't care about you, they do not stand with you, you know why? Because you are a black man, they don't really see you as a human being, they think they are better than you, a Ukraine man will still choose a Russian over you and that is because you are black. How many times have you showed concern about two African Countries that is at war ? We need to forget about all these white people, they don't care about us, Africans need to care only about Africa. To the people of Ukraine you are just another black man in Africa.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by goldtube(m): 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
cheesy
Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by AfriBreakinNews: 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
The West n NATO want the status quo to continue so that they can have a easy reach to neutralise Russia military power and turn its citizens to oust putin. This will be the biggest achievement for Biden n NATO allies.
It will give more power n western control Economically and military. So Zelensky n his citizens must brace themselves.
Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by BigDawsNet: 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
What's all this ...

Come-on Ukraine... You no match with Russia...

Agree and let the killing stop biko

6 Likes

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Kingozymandias(m): 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
I am Ozymandias,..my life hasn't been easy . Infact I dare say it has been hard , tough and unforgiving.
It has also taught me few lessons... The most crucial is to Live and die for something..
Ask me to do anything but never ask me to live on my knees... Rather die on your feet as a man than live on your knees...

Bettwr be mocked for your stance today than to be enslaved for your weakness tomorrow.

I stan with Ukraine.

Being a man isn't having a penis...
Being a man is having the guts to bleed for what you believe in...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by mcmbonu: 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
Death to putin

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by zoedew: 1:18pm On Mar 21, 2022
Giving the bully a bloody nose!

1 Like

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Dpharisee: 1:18pm On Mar 21, 2022
Most of the foreign fighters have fled from Ukraine with some claiming that the media deceived them by not telling them in clear terms that Russia controls the airspace and has fighter jets and have also deployed advanced missiles unlike the war in Iraq and Afghanistan where they had air support.
The people fighting in Mariupol are mostly Neo-nazis from Azov battalion and they are preventing civilians from leaving so Russia just put the city under siege are not in a hurry to clear them out fast to avoid civilian casualties

14 Likes

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by sammy7410(m): 1:18pm On Mar 21, 2022
Okay

3 Likes

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by TouchlyDesign: 1:18pm On Mar 21, 2022

Re: Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 21, 2022
Death to putin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Taliban Official: Strict Punishment, Executions Will Return / The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali / Russia Sends Missile Cruiser To Eastern Mediterranean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.