Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,181 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? (785 Views)

The Worst Embarrassment You Have Received As A Result Of You Not Having Money / Is Africa Really A Better Place to Raise A Child Than The Western World? / My Sister Is On The Verge Of Making The Worst Mistake Of Her Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by harsysky(m): 8:41pm On Mar 28, 2022
This Question has given me sleepless nights. I literally wake in the middle of the night thinking of how decayed this country has become.

I still remember about 20 years ago when my dad would converse with his friends that the reason he wouldn't send us, his children, abroad was the fear of we becoming spoilt children. If he had seen the future, he definitely wouldn't have thought it twice.

I fear for my own children; i don't know about you, my fellow parents. The decadence is way too much and increases in geometric progression.

Parents don't be surprised when your teenage child comes home one day to tell you this: " Dad and Mum, both of you are useless. My 15 year old friends are driving benz, and you are here making me manage and go to school like it will bring me money. I will leave this house and join my friends, jare" or "my mates are having sex, and I want to start too"

That's weird, right? If you think it is not, why do you hear tales of a son using the mum or dad or sibling for ritual? Or kids take a video of themselves while having sex?

It isn't even a case of having just a poor parents now, even the wealthy ones are not spared. Infact, most children from wealthy homes are the ones corrupting the society. They have access to drugs; they turn young girls to prostitutes and so on.

Parents, how far? What's the way forward if we are to remain here, in Nigeria, to raise our children to be good. Doesn't it bring tears to your eyes when you go round to see what's happening? Go to tiktok, facebook, twitter etc Nigerian teens are taking it to the extreme. Is it that bad or am I exaggerating?

What's the way forward, good parents? How do we strategize to train these kids?

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by NoahHadNoArk: 8:47pm On Mar 28, 2022
Who is to blame? the government, our parents, social media, Churches, mosques, our laws, Academic institutions, peer pressure or our very own fvcking selves!?!

My Eldest sister used to tell me, "a child that wants to be bad, will always get bad in the end, no amount of flogging or discipline will change him or her". she goes on to say, " that I refused to be wayward, and get myself pregnant in my teens, I didn't do it to prove my parents wrong or scorn them, I did it for me, if I had nursed and nurtured the hate and bad blood I built up in me as a result of the curses, flogs and abuses I suffered growing up, I would have been a serial baby mama today Or a drug addict. She Just clocked 15years of Marital bliss last September with two beautiful boys.

Whether you send a child outside to school or he/she schools in the country in either a private or a public institution, nothing changes, and what will be will always be. Either ways is always a gamble.

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Everyone has a share in the blame game, since everyone has a role to play. Its really sad to note that The rot in this present generation will get worse as a result of the ease of acquiring smartphones, easy access to an internet polluted with Drugs, weapons, pørnography and the curse of social media. So whom will you blame, were will you start ? The Smartphone makers, The various Social media founders for their inventions, the Government for relaxing the laws or cyber that used to be strict before and now legalising almost everything, you the parent for acquiring them smartphone or allowing them use yours and not monitoring their activities, or their peers for bringing theirs and showing your teenage kids stuffs they've never been exposed to in their entire lives, or what?!? The list for the blame game is endless and the decay in morals and decency be at an all time high embarassed most guys be scared of bringing a girl child into the world, but a male child will still give you grief if you don't play your part to the fullest and hand them over to God to do the rest. At this Juncture I give up grin, make them just dey spoil dey go,

God epp us grin grin

I Dedicate this FTC to My Very Good Friend Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

You warned Nigerians and they refused to listen when they voted you out of office and replaced you with an absolute tyrant....... I hope you having the last laughs as you Watch them suffer in pains and regret while they lick their wounds.

My peace I leave you

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:06pm On Mar 28, 2022
Honestly, if you are poor you shouldn't have any children. Why should children be forced to manage and other kids have it good. Why should some kids sleep hungry and other kids have so much to eat they even get obesed in the process. With the way the Nigerian economy is headed, I won't be surprised if future nigerian children start killing their parents for giving birth to them in Nigeria and that would be completely justified.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by harsysky(m): 9:14pm On Mar 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Honestly, if you are poor you shouldn't have any children. Why should children be forced to manage and other kids have it good. Why should some kids sleep hungry and other kids have so much to eat they even get obesed in the process. With the way the Nigerian economy is headed, I won't be surprised if future nigerian children start killing their parents for giving birth to them in Nigeria and that would be completely justified.

Were you born poor? If yes, was it good training that shaped You into what you are today?

Truth is when average people become poor with families, it tends to look as if they were poor all through their lives.

I have seen a rich man turn poor; it transcends beyond what you see with your naked eyes.

The question isn't about wealthy people. Are the wealthy people raising good kids more than the average ones?

I'm referring to the society we are right now.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by DonroxyII: 9:29pm On Mar 28, 2022
Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by DonroxyII: 9:30pm On Mar 28, 2022
harsysky:

You just have to adapt. Once time changes, Sane people must adapt to the changes and create new ways to beat the menace of time. Only those ones that befriends their Children win this Technological and Woke War.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by postmann: 9:53pm On Mar 28, 2022
For a fact, raising children abroad -- despite the social amenities and better economy -- is till worse than raising children in Nigeria as far as morality is concerned. They began their own moral decadence several years earlier and they've now codified it into the fabrics of their existence. We'll always play catch up.

But back to your question on how we got to this level of moral catastrophe for our children. I'll tell you the truth few people want to hear and the mainstream media knows but would never highlight -- Parental abandonment

It all started gradually in the late '70s and and early '80 when mothers joined fathers in the labour market abandoning their maternal obligation to their children while passing the ball to nannies and househelps and boarding schools. I'll stop here.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by harsysky(m): 10:37pm On Mar 28, 2022
postmann:
For a fact, raising children abroad -- despite the social amenities and better economy -- is till worse than raising children in Nigeria as far as morality is concerned. They began their own moral decadence several years earlier and they've now codified it into the fabrics of their existence. We'll always play catch up.

But back to your question on how we got to this level of moral catastrophe for our children. I'll tell you the truth few people want to hear and the mainstream media knows but would never highlight -- Parental abandonment

It all started gradually in the late '70s and and early '80 when mothers joined fathers in the labour market abandoning their maternal obligation to their children while passing the ball to nannies and househelps and boarding schools. I'll stop here.

Have you eaten a sunday rice where you left the meat for the last fight , and on getting there, someone stealthily came in and swallowed the meat? Did you react angrily?

That's the point you are heading to with your unfinished comment. The truth is bitter, but it must be told nonetheless.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by HarunaWest(m): 9:55am On Mar 29, 2022
harsysky:
This Question has given me sleepless nights. I literally wake in the middle of the night thinking of how decayed this country has become.

I still remember about 20 years ago when my dad would converse with his friends that the reason he wouldn't send us, his children, abroad was the fear of we becoming spoilt children. If he had seen the future, he definitely wouldn't have thought it twice.

I fear for my own children; i don't know about you, my fellow parents. The decadence is way too much and increases in geometric progression.

Parents don't be surprised when your teenage child comes home one day to tell you this: " Dad and Mum, both of you are useless. My 15 year old friends are driving benz, and you are here making me manage and go to school like it will bring me money. I will leave this house and join my friends, jare" or "my mates are having sex, and I want to start too"

That's weird, right? If you think it is not, why do you hear tales of a son using the mum or dad or sibling for ritual? Or kids take a video of themselves while having sex?

It isn't even a case of having just a poor parents now, even the wealthy ones are not spared. Infact, most children from wealthy homes are the ones corrupting the society. They have access to drugs; they turn young girls to prostitutes and so on.

Parents, how far? What's the way forward if we are to remain here, in Nigeria, to raise our children to be good. Doesn't it bring tears to your eyes when you go round to see what's happening? Go to tiktok, facebook, twitter etc Nigerian teens are taking it to the extreme. Is it that bad or am I exaggerating?

Parents no longer train children. They want the schools and society to train their children for them. Most parents are now busy chasing material things. They want big houses, cars, et al. They leave their key responsibility of proper upbringing of their wards. We keep blaming our leaders for our numerous problems buh we forget that every leader was once a follower.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by harsysky(m): 10:20am On Mar 29, 2022
HarunaWest:
Parents no longer train children. They want the schools and society to train their children for them. Most parents are now busy chasing material things. They want big houses, cars, et al. They leave their key responsibility of proper upbringing of their wards. We keep blaming our leaders for our numerous problems buh we forget that every leader was once a follower.

I just learnt from this. Thanks
Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by Greatzeus(m): 10:31am On Mar 29, 2022
I agree with most of your points except for the sexual morality aspect. Which countries in Africa are as morally depraved as the Americans or Europeans? They start relationship as early as possible with the consent of their parents, cigarettes and alcohol are seen as normal pleasure for those who are adults i.e 18 years+. Yet that didn't stop them from being world powers or creating great technological inventions or achieving academic prowess on different areas of life.
They have boyfriends and girlfriends at early age,they smoke,they drink alcohol but they are honest in business dealings and their citizens love their nations,and they have leaders who value life greatly.
Unlike us in Africa especially Nigeria,where sex is seen as taboo, cigarette and alcohol are seen as vices,but we are scammers and fraudsters, dishonest individuals,from children to teens to youths to the elderlies. We can do anything for money, irrespective of who gets hurt. We are religious but hypocritical bunch.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by deleson: 11:34am On Mar 29, 2022
OP, the answer you seek is in your post already.

It will take extra effort and grace to raise well-mannered children in this country.

We have replaced;

Values with vibes
Manners with money
Honesty with “smartness”
Respect with stupidity
Diligence with dorime
Patience with instant gratification
Family with fame
Training with tantrums.

We’re all a product of a family - either good or bad.

Raising Godly and Socially-Responsible FAMILIES is the key to solving the myriad of problems facing Nigeria.

harsysky:

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by harsysky(m): 11:35am On Mar 29, 2022
Greatzeus:
I agree with most of your points except for the sexual morality aspect. Which countries in Africa are as morally depraved as the Americans or Europeans? They start relationship as early as possible with the consent of their parents, cigarettes and alcohol are seen as normal pleasure for those who are adults i.e 18 years+. Yet that didn't stop them from being world powers or creating great technological inventions or achieving academic prowess on different areas of life.
They have boyfriends and girlfriends at early age,they smoke,they drink alcohol but they are honest in business dealings and their citizens love their nations,and they have leaders who value life greatly.
Unlike us in Africa especially Nigeria,where sex is seen as taboo, cigarette and alcohol are seen as vices,but we are scammers and fraudsters, dishonest individuals,from children to teens to youths to the elderlies. We can do anything for money, irrespective of who gets hurt. We are religious but hypocritical bunch.

Having a boyfriend or girlfriend at early age with your parents guidance is better than hiding it from them.

That some things are seen as taboo here doesn't mean people abstain from it. People now tend to hide and commit the worst atrocities.
Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by sweetmelanin(f): 12:09pm On Mar 29, 2022
The moral decay is global. However, I would say Nigeria is amongst one of the worst places to raise a child in this generation ... In addition to the absolute filth, wickedness and sexual depravity, Nigerians are also now foolishly jumping on the LGBT bandwagon.. we are Kings and Queens of copycat behaviour (of course never copying anything good, never valuing our culture but always quick to copy the culture-less, perverse West).

The values of old is fading away (and in some cases even mocked).

Today's Nigerian society has been destroyed by pride and wickedness, materialism, prostitution, infidelity, paternity fraud, toxic feminism, witchcraft, poverty mentality, fraud, murder, money rituals, oppression, terrorism, hypocrisy and God-lessness.

Under the guise of 'civilisation', the world has stirred away from the believe in a supreme being , a creator, God almighty. The more we do so, the more we lose the sense of morality and purpose, the more confused mankind becomes. Now in the West they are no longer sure what a man is or what a woman is. Some people now "identify" as they .. pronouns is now a thing.. cheesy

The masses think they have liberated themselves from the shackless of religion but have fallen into deeper shackless.. simply turning thier political and depraved social beliefs into the new religion... people do not realise that the devil's ultimate goal for mankind is "do has thou wilt" .. meaning, do whatever you want whenever you want, a lawless world governed by nothing but pride and selfishness - a truly "liberal", technologically advanced world filled with lost depraved souls.

These are the most "liberal" times yet the most miserable.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:24pm On Mar 29, 2022
DOOM TO THOSE THAT WISH NIGERIA BAD angry
Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Stop being such an asshole. Do you reason from your anus?
The question asked is about the moral decadence in the society and how families contribute to it, and not about whether poor parents should bear children or not.
The op even clearly stated that the condition of children raised in wealthy families seemed worse.

But here you are, displaying your crass stupidity and utter lack of comprehension.
You're such a nuisance on this forum.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by harsysky(m): 12:44pm On Mar 29, 2022
sweetmelanin:
The moral decay is global. However, I would say Nigeria is amongst one of the worst places to raise a child in this generation ... In addition to the absolute filth, wickedness and sexual depravity, Nigerians are also now foolishly jumping on the LGBT bandwagon.. we are Kings and Queens of copycat behaviour (of course never copying anything good, never valuing our culture but always quick to copy the culture-less, perverse West).

The values of old is fading away (and in some cases even mocked).

Today's Nigerian society has been destroyed by pride and wickedness, materialism, prostitution, infidelity, paternity fraud, toxic feminism, witchcraft, poverty mentality, fraud, murder, money rituals, oppression, terrorism, hypocrisy and God-lessness.

Under the guise of 'civilisation', the world has stirred away from the believe in a supreme being , a creator, God almighty. The more we do so, the more we lose the sense of morality and purpose, the more confused mankind becomes. Now in the West they are no longer sure what a man is or what a woman is. Some people now "identify" as they .. pronouns is now a thing.. cheesy

The masses think they have liberated themselves from the shackless of religion but have fallen into deeper shackless.. simply turning thier political and depraved social beliefs into the new religion... people do not realise that the devil's ultimate goal for mankind is "do has thou wilt" .. meaning, do whatever you want whenever you want, a lawless world governed by nothing but pride and selfishness - a truly "liberal", technologically advanced world filled with lost depraved souls.

These are the most "liberal" times yet the most miserable.

You really took your time to write this, and It's one of the most aptly written ,eye opening comments I have seen. Thanks and be blessed!
Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Mar 29, 2022

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by Mariangeles(f): 3:17pm On Mar 29, 2022
At least, Nigeria has not reduced to the level of where your own child can have you arrested.
There’s still hope.
Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 29, 2022
InTheCloudySky:
This notion that Nigeria is morally-superior than the western world is bogus. With all the barbaric, senseless violence and atrocities committed and unprosecuted in Nigeria, almost on a daily basis, Nigeria takes the cake as far as IMMORALITY is concerned. Y'all champion and are the champions of immorality.
Most of these atrocities are committed by the Fulani/North.
The South of Nigeria has more morals than the Western world.

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Mar 29, 2022

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Now Becoming The Worst Place To Raise A Child? by harsysky(m): 5:34pm On Mar 29, 2022
Mariangeles:
At least, Nigeria has not reduced to the level of where your own child can have you arrested.
There’s still hope.

grin grin grin.

(1) (Reply)

Ndi Igbo Are The Enemies And Problems They Have. / Art Of Being Fatherless: / 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.