Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,293 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors (6411 Views)

Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners / NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? / Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by MaiSuya(m): 3:28pm On Jul 04, 2011
Medical doctors can no longer go on strike, the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) has declared.

The highest decision-making body for doctors and dentists in the country said sanctions await any doctor that flouts the new directives agreed upon at the last stakeholders’ meeting in Abuja on June 23.

Dr. Roger Makanjuola, Chairman of the Council, told reporters in Abuja at the weekend that doctors could only go on strike in extreme cases.

He noted that certain measures must be put in place before doctors can abandon their duty posts.

Besides, he said before embarking on a strike, permission must be sought from and approval given by the central committee of the MDCN, which has not been the case in previous industrial actions.

Reading a communiqué at the end of the meeting, Makanjuola said: “It is unethical to go on strike. Practitioners must respect the provisions of the Code of Medical Ethics in Nigeria as prescribed by the MDCN. Having sworn to the Hippocratic Oath doctors should not go on strike because the oath says, first, the health of my patient shall be my first consideration and secondly that I will maintain the utmost respect for human life.

“These two components of the oath are clearly in conflict with strikes. If we do not intend to abide by the Hippocratic Oath, then we should stop swearing to it,” he said.

Though Makanjuola said doctors could express their grievances when such are genuine, he added that the Medical Code of Ethics allowed medical and dental practitioners to go on strike only in extreme circumstances.

He said: “When such industrial actions occur, the care of our patients is protected. The code stipulates that no patient can be abandoned in the midst of his or her treatment. A striking doctor must make arrangements to hand over the continued care of his patients before he leaves his post.

“Also, provision must be made for the continued provision of services for accident and emergencies and the care of those with serious illnesses and life-threatening conditions”.

On the possibility of governments and hospital management latching on the new directives to turn down demands for salary enhancement or provision of working tools or health infrastructures, Makanjuola said such could occur.

He said: “This is because, if the doctors have no tools to work with, coupled with an environment unsuitable for job, naturally he would explore all options first, then if everything fails to achieve redress, then the last option would be to down tool.

“What we are saying is that if any doctor goes on strike and it is reported to the Council, we will investigate it and if found culpable, sanctions would be imposed,” he emphasised.

He also said the Council was set to swoop on individuals that used fake imported medical equipment that diagnoses and treats all aliments.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/11303-medical-council-outlaws-strike-for-doctors.html
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by MaiSuya(m): 3:30pm On Jul 04, 2011
wahala dey o! shocked shocked
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by hercules07: 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2011
Who regulates the Medical sector, is it the ministries or this council, I do not think they have any powers to swoop on anybody, they should go through the proper legal system jare.

1 Like

Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 04, 2011
In saner climes, any medical practitioner who abandons his duty post for whatever reason that results in death or grievous harm to patients will have his medical license permanently revoked. He will be sued by his patients for all his assets.

That is how serious they they take medical practise. Nigerians are very docile folks. If we start to do the above in Nigeria, the shenanigans of doctors will stop!!
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by aljharem3: 8:34pm On Jul 04, 2011
again

so what would happen to sick people angry
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by MaiSuya(m): 9:24pm On Jul 04, 2011
hercules07:

Who regulates the Medical sector, is it the ministries or this council, I do not think they have any powers to swoop on anybody, they should go through the proper legal system jare.

well, its the medical council that regulates the sector. from swearing-in of fresh graduates, setting standards for medical/dental education in Naija, issuing/revoking licenses for practice. . .they are more or less the alpha and omega  when it comes to the regulation of medical practice in Nigeria.

whether they can outlaw strikes, a prerogative of every worker under a registered union, of which the medical doctor is one, is another case altogether. I foresee battle ahead between NMA and the Council.

kalokalo:

In saner climes, any medical practitioner who abandons his duty post for whatever reason that results in death or grievous harm to patients will have his medical license permanently revoked. He will be sued by his patients  for all his assets.

That is how serious they they take medical practise. Nigerians are very docile folks. If we start to do the above in Nigeria, the shenanigans of doctors will stop!!

really? I like to have examples of such 'saner climes' where the working conditions are as appalling as it is here.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Tingles(m): 9:35pm On Jul 04, 2011
Police report nko? Is the oath in support of demanding for police report before attending to accident victims in critical condition?

1 Like

Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by liquid7: 11:07pm On Jul 04, 2011
i think there actually a law against emergency services striking which includes doctors,police and the almost non existant firemen.But in practise like many things in nigeria its a different scenario.
this will not change anything as long as the union has overwhelming support.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by PeeDaVinci: 12:01am On Jul 05, 2011
irrespective of the profession, any body(ies)/union that goes on strike should not be paid for the duration of time they are on strike. goin on strike occurs very frequently because workers know they'll still be paid for the period when they are on strike, and i question the silly rationale behind this. workers should never be paid for undone job and this will force unions to think critically on the importance of a strike b4 embarkin on it
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by lastpage: 12:21am On Jul 05, 2011
I think the article is not worth the paper it is written on!

On one hand, he states emphatically that they cannot go on strike!
He then says they can go on strike in extreme cases!

And we all know that "Nigeria is replete with extreme cases"! grin

Looking at it, under the labour law, every worker, including Doctors, have a right to unionize and as such, "strike" is one of the extreme ways to drive the message home! wink

I wish they never could go on strike because of the kind of service they render but l also wish the Govt will play its own part and eradicate those conditions that make it impossible for them not to go on Strike!

The sad thing is that "Wishes are not Horses, otherwise beggars would rise"!

Lastpage!
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by reindeer: 12:51am On Jul 05, 2011
lastpage:

I think the article is not worth the paper it is written on!

On one hand, he states emphatically that they cannot go on strike!
He then says they can go on strike in extreme cases!

And we all know that "Nigeria is replete with extreme cases"! grin

Looking at it, under the labour law, every worker, including Doctors, have a right to unionize and as such, "strike" is one of the extreme ways to drive the message home! wink

I wish they never could go on strike because of the kind of service they render but l also wish the Govt will play its own part and eradicate those conditions that make it impossible for them not to go on Strike!

The sad thing is that "Wishes are not Horses, otherwise beggars would rise"!

Lastpage!

Extreme cases?. . . . .i'm sure that will be interpreted to mean when all negotiations and ultimatum given the government has failed which of course is normal in Nigeria.
I just learnt that Lagos state has still not paid the agreed salaries since the doctors went back to work last april, that in itself may be an ''extreme'' isn't it?
Nigeria is an 'extreme' country and until people who work hard stop seeing illiterate politicians squandering the national wealth, strikes will be the order of the day.
No where in the world do hardworking people suffer while iddiots spend the collective wealth anyhow.
Anyway, let us hope this brings the government to the table faster and improves the health of all Nigerians.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by EvilBrain1(m): 1:06am On Jul 05, 2011
You cannot deny doctors the rights that everybody else has just because its convenient. If a shoemaker has the right to stay at home then so does a doctor. If you think their services are so important, then you should pay them what they are worth. When they complain about their work conditions, you should try and address their concerns quickly. The problem in Nigeria is that strikes are the only language our useless government seems to understand. You can't negotiate with the government, you can't reason with it. Your only option is to go on strike.  Now, instead of doing something about the appalling work conditions doctors are subjected to, they want to resort to gestapo tactics. Well good luck to them. They'll only succeed in driving even more young doctors out of the country.

Once, when I was in medical school, the residents didn't get paid for about 6 months for one reason or the other. After the fourth month of working for free, they went on strike. Of course, the government immediately invoked the "no work, no pay" rule despite the strike being all about working without pay. I remember one of the senior residents pulling me to one side and advising me to start reading for foreign medical license exams so I could leave Nigeria. "This country doesn't deserve us" is what he said.

Best advice I ever got.

1 Like

Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by whobemumu(m): 2:35am On Jul 05, 2011
MDCN  regulates the medical practice  so they can say this and yes it will be legal for them to abolish strikes

the only problem is that the people who make up mdcn or at least  those who are the decision makers are the consultants

( some of whom caused the problems in the first place  and who have private clinics mostly )

so they will directly benefit from this directive  for the junior medical doctors ( some of the most  oppressed people in the world , Imagine in ibadan uch they can be

told to go and pick up ythe consultants children from school and sometimes  work in oga clinic without pay or at miserable pay and many worse things )

In normal places liek germany doctors rarely strike   sometimes other ppl strike for the benefits of doctors

in nigeria this directivce means that  doctors will become more oppressed  because all the govt needs to do is settle the powers that be at MDCN  and they will

doctors the right to strike and then anything will be shoved down the doctors throat

( CORRUPT  BASTARDS )

THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT COLLECT 5 K DEVELOPMENT LEVY FROM EVERY DOCTOR  IN NIGERIA every year AND CANt EVEN  BUILD A DECENT SECRETARIAT ////// if u see mdcn secretariat at broad street ,  even vulcanizers will not use it

thieves and bastards

1 Like

Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by bigdoki(m): 5:22am On Jul 05, 2011
Well, it is nyc to c the regulatory body @ work. Becaus often times when we read abt doctors it is always abt impending strike or a full blown one.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Oritna94(m): 5:38am On Jul 05, 2011
Nigeria at it again! We r in soup d way things r goin. God help us cry
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 05, 2011
We watch the nation pay politicians huuuuge sum which makes them afford foreign health plan ! Why won't they take others' live for granted by looking @ docs with little concern for em?
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by member479760: 6:45am On Jul 05, 2011
the guy don join dem, somethin don enta hin pocket.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by KDULAR: 7:16am On Jul 05, 2011
I am yet to be corrected bu still have the opinion that the sorry state of our healthcare/ healthcare delievery in Nigeria is as a result of the administrative Ineptitude and the unfounded pride of our Doctors. For anyone who cares to know, the inceassant strikes stated in the time of Olikoye Kuti, who started giving them undue prominence ovver other Health care professionals,thus they must maintain the disparity. Worst of all , they hardly allow due to their numbers, the full and relevant practice of other professionals thus denying the patient the full benefit of healthcare delivery but will only go on strike to to fight for a higher pay for themselves alone.

Majority of them think of nothing but the money and are happy seeing themselves alone looking good and become jittery when you look or sound better than they are. I doubt if the MDCN
can effect what they proffer as they are one and thesame
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by texazzpete(m): 7:31am On Jul 05, 2011
KDULAR:

I am yet to be corrected bu still have the opinion that the sorry state of our healthcare/ healthcare delievery in Nigeria is as a result of the administrative Ineptitude and the unfounded pride of our Doctors. For anyone who cares to know, the inceassant strikes stated in the time of Olikoye Kuti, who started giving them undue prominence ovver other Health care professionals,thus they must maintain the disparity. Worst of all , they hardly allow due to their numbers, the full and relevant practice of other professionals thus denying the patient the full benefit of healthcare delivery but will only go on strike to to fight for a higher pay for themselves alone.

Majority of them think of nothing but the money and are happy seeing themselves alone looking good and become jittery when you look or sound better than they are. I doubt if the MDCN
can effect what they proffer as they are one and thesame

'undue prominence'?

I no blame you. Doctors are rightfully the prime health workers in nigeria. Do not let your envy drive you into dementia. So doctors and nurses come dey the same level abi?

Seriously, if salaries were being paid on time and commensurately with the amount of work done, strikes will be a thing of the past. People like you with your blind reasoning are the reason why we are in the state we are right now. This was how ASUU complained about poor remuneration and funding, now our universities are a joke!
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Tolulop001(f): 8:17am On Jul 05, 2011
Evil Brain:

You cannot deny doctors the rights that everybody else has just because its convenient. If a shoemaker has the right to stay at home then so does a doctor. If you think their services are so important, then you should pay them what they are worth. When they complain about their work conditions, you should try and address their concerns quickly. The problem in Nigeria is that strikes are the only language our useless government seems to understand. You can't negotiate with the government, you can't reason with it. Your only option is to go on strike.  Now, instead of doing something about the appalling work conditions doctors are subjected to, they want to resort to gestapo tactics. Well good luck to them. They'll only succeed in driving even more young doctors out of the country.

Once, when I was in medical school, the residents didn't get paid for about 6 months for one reason or the other. After the fourth month of working for free, they went on strike. Of course, the government immediately invoked the "no work, no pay" rule despite the strike being all about working without pay. I remember one of the senior residents pulling me to one side and advising me to start reading for foreign medical license exams so I could leave Nigeria. "This country doesn't deserve us" is what he said.

Best advice I ever got.

i feel you bro! me i left the profession for them self tongue
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 05, 2011
This is good, cos dis doctors have been lording themselves excessively over patients wellbeing with all their strikes, moreso i cant remember them going on strike due to poor working conditions and tools, it's always about pay rise, and what we get in return is always poor service that lacks human empathy! Good one.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Grassroot: 8:44am On Jul 05, 2011
Whatever happened to the Hippocratic Oath?
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by mbulela: 9:02am On Jul 05, 2011
Grassroot:

Whatever happened to the Hippocratic Oath?
reserved for hypocrites.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by mbulela: 9:05am On Jul 05, 2011
kalokalo:

In saner climes, any medical practitioner who abandons his duty post for whatever reason that results in death or grievous harm to patients will have his medical license permanently revoked. He will be sued by his patients for all his assets.

is this a joke?
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by valicious1(m): 9:29am On Jul 05, 2011
undecided undecided
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Mobinga: 9:33am On Jul 05, 2011
My dad is a Professor in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, whether there's a strike or not, he still works. Others should emulate this.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by DaDoctor: 9:35am On Jul 05, 2011
yes na, IS IT NOT EXTREME CASES THAT HAS ALWAYS CAUSED THE STRIKE? smiley
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by otokx(m): 10:06am On Jul 05, 2011
Double speaking
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by Geomel: 10:29am On Jul 05, 2011
What a wonder story for Nigerian.
Our firm can offer you the best and quality service ever think by you.
www.gogmelgroup.org
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by alfablondy: 11:01am On Jul 05, 2011
Evil Brain:

Once, when I was in medical school, the residents didn't get paid for about 6 months for one reason or the other. After the fourth month of working for free, they went on strike. Of course, the government immediately invoked the "no work, no pay" rule despite the strike being all about working without pay.[b] I remember one of the senior residents pulling me to one side and advising me to start reading for foreign medical license exams so I could leave Nigeria. "This country doesn't deserve us" is what he said.

Best advice I ever got.
[/b]

I congratulate you for yielding to d advice. if they keep on abusing the medical profession in Nigeria then the young ones will keep leaving. Naija trained Drs are well appreciated overseas once you passed the license exam and get along with the system. if you remove NGR doctors in some countries, their health system will collapse. SA  is an example.

whobemumu:

MDCN  regulates the medical practice  so they can say this and yes it will be legal for them to abolish strikes

the only problem is that the people who make up mdcn or at least  those who are the decision makers are the consultants

( some of whom caused the problems in the first place  and who have private clinics mostly )

so they will directly benefit from this directive  for the junior medical doctors ( some of the most  oppressed people in the world , Imagine in ibadan uch they can be

told to go and pick up ythe consultants children from school and sometimes  work in oga clinic without pay or at miserable pay and many worse things )

In normal places liek germany doctors rarely strike   sometimes other ppl strike for the benefits of doctors

in nigeria this directivce means that  doctors will become more oppressed  because all the govt needs to do is settle the powers that be at MDCN  and they will

doctors the right to strike and then anything will be shoved down the doctors throat

( CORRUPT  BASTARDS )

THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT COLLECT 5 K DEVELOPMENT LEVY FROM EVERY DOCTOR  IN NIGERIA  every year  AND CANt EVEN  BUILD A DECENT SECRETARIAT ////// if u see mdcn secretariat at broad street ,  even vulcanizers will not use it

thieves and bastards

Well said.
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by KDULAR: 11:22am On Jul 05, 2011
@ Texaspette .Nobody says that doctors are not the prime in the health team but not mine is not the only one there is and it is unfortunate that the fight had only be for them as if others are not feeling the same. But correct me if my assertion that  Doctors in fighting for what they 'll never loose has actually scuttled other professional in the health team from practising fully their profession  thereby denying the patients of their necessary healthcare.

Truly, how many times has the fight really been centred on patients? and not about pay which is by far better than the rest in the country, not mentioning the incentives that a doctor could open up his clinic even after gainfully employed by the govt. A privilege others would not enjoy,and this is a policy by the FG .

How many times has doctors being concerned about the overall healthcare delivery and not medical delivery considering the fact that they've got the numbers and influence to do so ?

So I think it is a welcome development MDCN go forward with these but I doubt because the senseless and irresponsible mid 90 till date aluta continua tradition in the universities has become part and parcel of the psychic of the average under 40s Doctors. No offence  intended. grin grin
Re: Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors by johnjoel(m): 11:25am On Jul 05, 2011
valacious:

This is good, cos dis doctors have been lording themselves excessively over patients wellbeing with all their strikes, moreso i cant remember them going on strike due to poor working conditions and tools, it's always about pay rise, and what we get in return is always poor service that lacks human empathy! Good one.
true talk jare<> so you can talkon,,,mtn every you go

(1) (2) (Reply)

Join Simplified Anatomy Classes For Medical And Allied Medical Students / Use Of Dental Braces In Nigeria / How Much Does It Cost To Get An STD Test?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.