Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,263 members, 7,811,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners (13310 Views)

Beware Of Quacks Called 'auxiliary Nurses' / Medical Council Prosecutes 10 Fake Doctors / Medical Council Outlaws Strike For Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by Ishilove: 8:32am On Nov 19, 2014
The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) said efforts to rid Nigeria of quackery were yielding positive results as the council has arrested more than 30 quack doctors and those practising illegally, and also facilitated the conviction of 14 of them at the courts within four years of its creation.

This was disclosed on Tuesday in Abuja during the 51st anniversary of the council by the Registrar of the MDCN, Dr. Abdulmunin Ibrahim, stating that in the area of discipline of practitioners, the council has investigated over 1,550 complaints, where 122 practitioners had been sanctioned so far.

Ibrahim also disclosed that the number of training institutions in the country accredited by the council has increased from one, which was University College Hospital, to 31 in the country within the last 50 years.

“The council has successfully introduced indexing of medical students in medical schools to ensure that training institutions keep to their allotted admission quotas thereby ensuring that standard is maintained.”

He explained that while the council has instituted and enforced the continuing professional development programme, since 2011, the medical and dental practitioners registered presently is over 70,000, from a little over 1,000 in 1963.

Chairman of the Governing Board of the Council, Prof Jonathan Azubuike, appealed to the federal government to allow the council carry out its functions without frequent disruptions.

He explained that if the council was given the enabling support and equal opportunities, the celebration should have taken place in 2013 “but in that year, there was no council in existence and that explained the 50 plus one.

“In the first 25 years of our existence (1963-1988), our existence was never tampered with. In the second phase of our existence, 1988-2013, the MDCN was allowed to do the job, for which it was statutorily created for only 15 years.”

Azubuike contended that for the remaining 10 years, the council did not exist as it was dissolved out of existence.

He said “the regulatory functions we were supposed to carry out, setting standards for the training of medical and dental undergraduates in the universities as well as regulating the practices of the medical and dental professions in Nigeria, could not be done during these periods the council was in limbo.

“Our plea remains the same, and it is simple, we should be allowed to do the job assigned to us, without frequent disruptive dissolution.”

SOURCE:http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/medical-council-arrests-over-30-quacks-sanctions-122-practitioners/194493/

2 Likes

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by holatin(m): 8:34am On Nov 19, 2014
I made first to comment, aunty shade , brother yinka, iya Jelili come ooooooooo I made it.
my enemy come and look ooooo, God have done it oooooo.
#feranmicharles come and look oooo.
i don defeatvyou again.
I REP SPACE BOOKER ASSOCIATION OF NAIRALAND.

Dancing alingo to African Queen by 2face.

10 Likes

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 19, 2014
After how many years?
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by ALKARULEZ615(m): 8:41am On Nov 19, 2014
Are there quacks in the medical field?
Well, I wouldn't know, cos itz none of my bizness..... I schooled in Papua New Guinea
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by thiefnubu(m): 8:55am On Nov 19, 2014
Why wouldn't there be fake doctors? After nyanshing all d university babes
, collecting outrageous scolarships, and procuring recommended eye-glasses due to 'over-jacking' while in medical school, some of these medical students still get thrown out of med school in their final year undecided

Wetin dem want make these guys tell all their 'nyanshees', all the peeps they have looked down on in the university, and all their acquaintances who have been hailing them prematurely as 'MY DOCTOR grin'

Appearances have to be maintained! Make una free my guys jare tongue

2 Likes

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by holatin(m): 8:56am On Nov 19, 2014
This happen when you give them practitionership ((engrush)) instead salary.
some still suppose to be serving under a qualified doctor and collect salary, since Government no wan give them salary them give them practitioner post and in turn they give us death due to quackness ((engrish)) con from quack.
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by seapson(m): 8:56am On Nov 19, 2014
Pls can sumbody summarize d passage in one sentence for me??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by jjwaterfalls(f): 8:56am On Nov 19, 2014
Good move

I wish the nursing and midwifery counciL could also do the Same. SMH

2 Likes

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by intergral(m): 8:56am On Nov 19, 2014
Nail all the bastards down ....................
na them dey do operation forget scissors inside person belle...........
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by coolvitus(m): 8:57am On Nov 19, 2014
Death go reduce
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by eleko1: 8:57am On Nov 19, 2014
?
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by hazyfm: 8:57am On Nov 19, 2014
U NA DON COME AGAIN
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by slimpoppa(m): 8:57am On Nov 19, 2014
They should clamp down on them real hard. One's health is too important to be left in the care of quacks.

3 Likes

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by haymoney01(m): 8:58am On Nov 19, 2014
Ehya!
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by Adyrin(m): 8:58am On Nov 19, 2014
Why?
Who certified them quacks? grin

But how does dat worry me?
I am a WINNER and so I can NEVER be sick, I don't need doctors! tongue
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by eleko1: 8:58am On Nov 19, 2014
sad
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by LordMecuzy(m): 8:58am On Nov 19, 2014
Ishilove Topics making front page, I Smell Nairaland political and Cabal tins

@Topic. Quack Doctors full my area oooooh na dem dey do Abortion wella.

But the rate at Which Doctors Charge has made Nigerians to seek help with most Quack cheep Doctors.

Poverty na bastard
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by 1stola: 8:59am On Nov 19, 2014
ok
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by bambuzz88: 8:59am On Nov 19, 2014

5 Likes

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by Disneyboy: 8:59am On Nov 19, 2014
:DThats a qud start.....

grin.....
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by MadCow1: 9:00am On Nov 19, 2014
no be God

1 Like

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by kunlesehan(m): 9:01am On Nov 19, 2014
A good native doctor is better than a quack medical doctor.
Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 19, 2014
They should enter General and Government Hospitals.

Lots of Quacks are there.
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by bayonet55: 9:01am On Nov 19, 2014
H
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by icemann(m): 9:02am On Nov 19, 2014
And someone would blame GEJ for this.
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by noblealuu: 9:03am On Nov 19, 2014
I dnt even no what to comment @ dis juncture...
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by stinggy(m): 9:04am On Nov 19, 2014
kunlesehan:
Lol

Of course. Native doctors are just overrated in this country
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by stinggy(m): 9:04am On Nov 19, 2014
kunlesehan:
Lol

Of course. Native doctors are just underrated in this country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by tshabalala: 9:04am On Nov 19, 2014
Coming Back
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by GraceBestowed(f): 9:05am On Nov 19, 2014
In this day and age?? It's such a shame seeing as Nigeria as a country is trying to grow yet there are people determined to cripple progress made!
Re: Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners by Mimisboygreat: 9:05am On Nov 19, 2014
No wonder we are suffering from high mortality rate in Nigeria. Good job though. #SackEveryQuackWhateverInNigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Gofundme Account For Emmanuel Oyediran, A Beggar With Intestine Outside / US Approves Once-a-day HIV Pill / Where Can One Find Or Buy Amino 3000 Here In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.