Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,817 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. (1994 Views)

The Most Common Problems With Mercedes-benz Cars / OCI Foundation Rewards Partner, Dr. Epunam With Mercedes SUV / Someone Learning How To Drive With Mercedes Benz C300 In Abuja (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by fadaz(m): 11:19am On Apr 02, 2022
Good morning friends.

I have always being a fan of Mercedes products though I haven’t being privileged to own one. However, I’m at the verge of purchasing one for my self and need to make a choice between GL 450 and ML 350 both 2009 models.

Can anyone with experience on both models enlighten me on likely issues of both models and why it seems GL 450 versions are fewer on our roads. I appreciate your candid feedbacks from our legends in the house. Thank you.
Re: Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by dedonfranco(m): 11:42am On Apr 02, 2022
What ever the issue is......I'm buying one of them

My Luv for this car is unconditional
Re: Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by fadaz(m): 1:24pm On Apr 03, 2022
dedonfranco:
What ever the issue is......I'm buying one of them

My Luv for this car is unconditional
Lolz…whichever way, you’ll still need to get the best value for your money. Mods can you help push to front page so we can get some enlightened views and opinions from users of these cars. Thank you.
Re: Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by Psychokinetic: 1:58pm On Apr 03, 2022
fadaz:
Good morning friends.

I have always being a fan of Mercedes products though I haven’t being privileged to own one. However, I’m at the verge of purchasing one for my self and need to make a choice between GL 450 and ML 350 both 2009 models.

Can anyone with experience on both models enlighten me on likely issues of both models and why it seems GL 450 versions are fewer on our roads. I appreciate your candid feedbacks from our legends in the house. Thank you.
Benz models from 2009 below are gas guzzlers. Add a bit more money and go for 2010.
Re: Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by fadaz(m): 8:44pm On Apr 03, 2022
Psychokinetic:

Benz models from 2009 below are gas guzzlers. Add a bit more money and go for 2010.
Wow…. Never knew. Thanks for the feedback.
Re: Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 10:44pm On Apr 03, 2022
ML 350
Re: Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by fadaz(m): 8:41am On Apr 04, 2022
MASTAkiLLAh:
ML 350
Any reason for preferring this option?
Re: Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by gr8child(m): 1:38pm On Apr 07, 2022
I'd asked a question like this a while back and got very little feedback, so I'd like to help.

The main reason why the GL Benz is unpopular is that the model has a low reliability rating, particularly in respect of its air suspension, which many reports say has a high propensity to fail. The ML Benz uses a spring suspension (shock absorber) while the GL Benz uses an air suspension (air bag). I hear that back in the day, replacing damaged air suspensions could cost about N500k each, which is probably what gave it a bad reputation in the first place. However, I hear that the price has come down considerably to about N100k for each suspension, which may still be considered high considering that the GL air suspension has a high propensity to fail, coupled with our bad roads in Nigeria. Imagine having to replace a air suspension every 4 or so months. Plus, if your air suspension gives way completely, you cannot continue to drive the car and will have to get it towed, unlike a spring suspension which you can "manage" and drive the car to the mechanic. The spring suspension for the ML is cheaper to replace, though I can't say exactly how much it is. If you speak to Benz mechanics, they'll tell you that an ML is cheaper to maintain than the GL.

The GL has a larger fuel tank and if you buy the V8 model, that means you're spending more money on fuel all round.

Also, some people view the design of the older GL benz as bogus and find the sportier design of the ML more appealing. The newer GL (called the GLS) has a more sporty design but costs much more than the older GL.

4 Likes

Re: Issues With Mercedes GL 450 And ML 350. by 132KVA: 5:40pm On Oct 20, 2023
is there no way the air suspension of the GL can be canverted to spring, since it is one of the major problems of the car?
Also what about the transmision, is it reliable?

(1) (Reply)

Useful Advice On Buying & Paying Required Duty For A Car In Cotonou By Oneself / Please Help!a Vio Officer Is About To Scam Me / Which Is A Better Option: 2003 Matrix Vs 2004 Corolla Vs 2004 Camry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.