Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,091 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt (1721 Views)

This Picture Proves That President Buhari Is A Master Of Deceit / I Believe In PDP, Jonathan, Will Never Join APC – Orubebe / Obasanjo Is An Embarrassment To The Military - Nigeria Defence HQ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by drered(m): 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2006
i think obasanjo should be investigated by efcc he is a very corrupt man he hasnt done much since he became president has he and there are rumours that his third term ambitions are authentic wat yall think wink wink
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Akolawole(m): 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2006
@Drered

Are you asking us to comment on him being corrupt or 3rd time ambition?

Please clarify.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by kelvinO(m): 8:10pm On Feb 18, 2006
please tell me who is not corrupt, you? hum
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Odeku(m): 11:05pm On Feb 19, 2006
Drered can't even spell Obasanjo to comment on his achievements, I can tell you haven't been to Nigeria in a while.  so leave baba Iyabo alone please
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Akolawole(m): 4:59pm On Feb 20, 2006
@Odeku

You know them with baseless allegations, few of them are in this forum.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Larufa(m): 6:47pm On Feb 20, 2006
Thanks everybody for the comments so far.

Corruption to me is not neccessarily messing around with public money, it is more of upholding the rule of law. If u agree with my definition. Then Obasanjo is very much corrupt.
Without Justice there cannever be Peace and where there is no peace there can never be Development.

Instances:

1. The rigging of 2003 national and state elections -- Anambra state and painfully my home state of Ogun state where the total number of votes for the president is more than that of the Governor. Even River State where the percentage of voters that voted is 100%,( it can never happen) so between voters registration and election day , no voter died, somebody travelled out of the state or no sick bed on elction day. Nigeria is a funny place to be.

2. What has he done to the self confessed election riggers -- Chris Uba and Alhaji Tinubu.
Go and sin no more against my party - People Destructive Party.

3. What happened to all the money voted for the construction of road networks given to His Mr Fix it- Tony Annenih (1999 - 2003). What happened to NPA during Chief Bode George Tenure -- Reward with the Chairmanship of Bank of Industries.

4. Why is he holding on tightly to the Petroleum Ministry since 1999. The ministry is not accountable to the NASS.

5. why support illegality in Oyo state--impeachment of Ladoja, well this is not the first time, it happed during the last election when Deputy governor of Ogun and Osun were arrested for protesting electoral rigging.

With all these he should remember that what goes around comes around surely. He that live by sword shall by the sword. Ride on Mr know it all.

Well as for me and some other few friends we are back to dark days of Abacha.
He want to stay but do not know how-- Jobs for the basket mouth Fani-kayodes, Mantu and Bode George of this world.

Nigeria will continue to be even after our generation.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Nobody: 12:03am On Feb 21, 2006
President Obasanjo is human and cant pull a wool over the eyes of over a 100million people.Someone in a glass house does not throw stones.For the first time in Nigeria's history,highly placed people are prosecuted for corruption.My point is this,if Pres Obasanjo is corrupt as some people believes,those people must have been able to provide one or two tangible evidence by now.Its like a challenge.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Mazi(m): 11:00am On Feb 21, 2006
No one is perfect guys.

OBJ is the least corrupt leader Naija has ever had so far, but he's not getting a third term.

There are other upright Nigerians like myself who can continue and improve on current policies and reforms.

Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by whitesoftx(m): 11:33am On Feb 21, 2006
@Maxi
What ,   cheesy you  , Yeee cool "can continue and improve on current policies and reforms" what stand do you have in good governance and development? men! dont you know we are all affected by the virus named "CORRUPTION" in Nigeria? even Nigerians outside are affected embarassed. Forget that and do what you know doing best bro! or do you have a polical career? or you are a politician? better dont try to bribe us here to be you MEN! lipsrsealed. Just kidding bro! but you should understand how the virus "CORRUPTION" works and we need a very active ANTIVIRUS to detect and REMOVE it, or should we quarantine anybody affected? guess you are affected too, me not exception! guy, we got a long way to go!
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Jakumo(m): 1:00pm On Feb 21, 2006
Mazi, in response to your claim to be an "upright" man,  I hereby nominate you to be the next president-at-large of the Nigerian Federation.  This post would be largely ceremonial, and you will be permitted to issue official directives to your administration from your private residence.  The entire operating budget of your administration will similarly be drawn from your personal income at work, less my own modest consultancy fees.  Call me NOW and let us talk MODALITIES. 1-800-MAZ-4PREZ
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Mazi(m): 1:45pm On Feb 21, 2006
@WHITESOFTX,

I do not need the Corruption AntiVirus, as I am not infected.

@JAKUMO,

Thanks for the offer, I'll look into it.

Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Akolawole(m): 2:32pm On Feb 21, 2006
@Drered

Where are you now?
You got nothing to say, just baseless!

@Odeku

They are about five in this forum, paint OBJ bad with no single reason.
OBJ is not saint but he is no devil. cool

@Maxi

Mazi:

OBJ is the least corrupt leader Nigeria has ever had so far, but he's not getting a third term.

Thats the fact
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by issacboro: 2:31pm On Feb 26, 2006
the only good thing he has done is to distablise the north.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by drered(m): 2:52pm On Apr 01, 2006
@akolowale
hey chill out dogg we aint got shit between us do we you dey vex ooh undecided undecided
ok first working conditions of employees like the police infact if you aint in the government your salary is very meager or wotever
secondly he wants to amend the constitution for a third term when he hasnt done nothing in his 2 terms
fuel hike i mean the prices of petrol in nigeria is always increasing and stuff
i dont see whyou hould defend him that much or are you guys related or something
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by drered(m): 2:53pm On Apr 01, 2006
ok obj is trying but he has tried let him give others a chance
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by hanson: 9:55pm On Apr 01, 2006
OBJ ias the most corrupt citizen of Nigeria
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Rhodalyn(f): 9:58pm On Apr 01, 2006
smiley smiley smiley
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by otokx(m): 2:12pm On Apr 03, 2006
i don't know about that.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by OldGlory1(m): 8:50pm On Apr 03, 2006
I think he is as corrupt as the eyes can see, but more astonishing is how the citizens do not expect any better, or maybe they have just lost all hope for a better Nigeria. Nigerians are saying he is "The least Corrupt President we have ever had". Now that is is an assuring statement. WOW ! I guess we have come to a new low.

@Ototx

Please who is more corrupt? If he as President creates an environment for corruption to thrive, then i think it is a no brainer.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by ono(m): 12:54pm On May 03, 2006
Someone's opinion.

What then is corruption?
By Uzo Nwankwo
It is with stunning incredulity that one has observed the shenanigans of this Federal Government on the proposed constitutional amendment, with the unmistakable third term bogey as its main driving force. This incredulity owes much to the fact that this writer was one of the most effusive admirers of this president when he took office in 1999. I even did an article at that time in which I changed his name from Obasanjo to Obasanma. How times can change.

Here was a man universally deemed to have been roped into a phantom coup by the Abacha ogre for speaking out against dictatorship. By a twist of fate he emerged from Abacha's gulag alive, with his already towering credentials further enhanced. Before his near-death experience with Abacha and his goons, he was already a member of the eminent persons group, a well regarded world statesman. He had been widely acclaimed as the first African military officer to hand over government voluntarily to civilians; a one-time aspirant to the office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations and the originator of the African Leadership Forum etc. Now in addition to all these, he had added the toga of "Prisoner of Conscience" and emerged from gaol to lead his long-oppressed people to freedom. In summary, our own very Mandela.

Like the legendary Nelson Mandela, he went from prisoner to president in one fell swoop. But alas, there the similarity ends. Whereas Mandela deepened his mystique by ruling for one only term and turning over the reins of power to his lieutenants, our own Nigerian equivalent seems bent on destroying his legacy by instituting for us a corrupt dictatorship. Corrupt! Yes you heard right. One of the cardinal pillars on which this administration has tried to build its reputation is the fight against corruption. However, in this fight, only the narrowest definition of corruption has been adopted and that is the issue of stealing of the national patrimony by those in positions of trust. How very convenient? My Chambers dictionary defines "to corrupt" thus: "to make putrid; to taint; to debase; to pervert; to destroy the purity of; dishonest , etc"

It is therefore corrupt practice when the democratic process is perverted by changing the rules of the game midway for the sole benefit of those already in the field of play. It is corrupt practice for a president who swore an oath to defend a constitution which prescribes a maximum of two terms of office to seek to change the condition and benefit from it. Is it not corrupt practice for a government to pervert the democratic process by flouting the order of the highest court in the land in regard to the release of local government funds to Lagos State? This singular act of the Federal Government has no doubt done more harm to the democratic process and our body politic than all the billions allegedly purloined by Tafa Balogun! What is a society without the rule of law? A veritable jungle! Is it any surprise that following this act by the Central Government, there has been a spate of copy-cat disobedience of court orders in Oyo State and other parts of the country? The utter impunity and contemptuous disregard for the laws of the land which pervade this society gained a tremendous boost from this frightening example by the Obasanjo Government.

Is it any wonder then that a group of hoodlums with well-advertised sponsors can set fire to a government house and radio stations among other properties in a state and yet go absolutely scot free? Not only did they not pay for their crimes, their sponsors were subsequently promoted to higher positions in the political pecking order!

The debasement of our democratic process by the charade that passed for "public hearings" by the Mantu Committee on constitutional amendment was unmitigated corruption. The committee already had an answer and it appears that their only task was to work out the question to fit. It is not so hard to recall that Mantu, as one of the stalwarts of one of the erstwhile five leprous fingers of one hand (apologies to the late Bola Ige), was active in the raucous crowd that was screaming "Abacha Forever!"

Not so long ago in this regime, one Prof. Babalola Borishade had a disastrous tour of duty as Minister of Education. During his tenure, our universities were paralysed for up to six months due to his inept handling of ASUU/Government disagreements. Soon after, Mr. President reshuffled his cabinet and re-presented the same professor for re-confirmation by the senate. Naturally, the senate demurred. But what did our all-knowing president do? He kept bringing forth the Prof's name for confirmation until, thoroughly brow-beaten and intimidated, the senate finally gave in and confirmed the apparently indispensable professor. By insisting on destroying the purity of the normal democratic process where the legislature is permitted to have its say, my dictionary declares this government corrupt. And when the indispensable professor was assigned to the Aviation Ministry what happened? Aeroplanes started tumbling out of the sky. Coincidence? That's your opinion.

Why are we so blessed and yet so cursed simultaneously? What makes it so easy for charlatans and selfish politicians to seize this country by the jugular time and time again? Yesterday it was "Abacha For Ever !", "Who the Cap Fits!" and other similar inanities. What happened to decency and integrity on these shores? What is it at Aso Rock that makes whoever enters there to want to stay glued to the seat, whereas in South Africa, Thambo Mbeki (not even Mandela) would brook no suggestion of an elongated tenure for him?

Obasanjo can still redeem himself today by cutting loose all those leeches who are trying to convince him that if he leaves in 2007 Nigeria will collapse. He should learn from the experience of Babangida. Nigerians generally have a large heart and will forgive most of his shortcomings provided he does not succumb to this third term bait. Nigerians would have forgiven Babangida his multitude of sins against this land if only he had not annulled the June 12, 1993 election and thereafter being forced to leave office in utter ignominy. This third term trap is going to be Obasanjo's "June 12" if he is not careful.

If Obasanjo really wants to be remembered as the man who fought corruption in Nigeria then he must today broaden his definition of corruption and stop perverting the democratic process. He should begin to fight moral corruption, democratic corruption and ethical corruption. All doublespeak and "the more you look abracadabara" should be dropped. Then and only then shall the average Nigerian sit up and applaud his war on corruption. It should be obvious to him that the perversion of our democratic process to satiate a selfish desire to remain in power will cause more long-term damage to the polity than if all the cases in EFCC files remain unsolved.

Soure:www.ngrguardiannews.com
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by nigboy(m): 3:43am On Jan 15, 2009
Absolutely. You don't need to be told that

He messed up the country after 8 years
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Muza(m): 8:39am On Jan 15, 2009
@ poster,
did u say u believe,
I think now u should know not believe.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by texazzpete(m): 8:43am On Jan 15, 2009
What a load of bullcrap. Everyone knows that Obasanjo is absolutely honest and has no hand in corrupt dealings.

Ribadu told us so, didn't he?
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by ttruth(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2010
@post :

But he is far better than Yar'Adua. Yar'Adua is completely useless. He never achieved anything since he came to power. I wonder if there is anything in his head at all.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by revolt(m): 6:35pm On Jan 20, 2010
I don't know about you all but the best president nigeria has ever had is he. As far as nigeria is concerned he's my hero atleast he broke the powers and hegemony of the north plus strategically putting yaradua whom he knew wouldn't survive the rigours of the job plus a lot more i won't say on this forum.
Re: I Believe That President Obasanjo Is Corrupt by Kilode1: 4:30am On Mar 22, 2011
Larufa:

Thanks everybody for the comments so far.

Corruption to me is not neccessarily messing around with public money, it is more of upholding the rule of law. If u agree with my definition. Then Obasanjo is very much corrupt.
Without Justice there cannever be Peace and where there is no peace there can never be Development.

Instances:

1. The rigging of 2003 national and state elections -- Anambra state and painfully my home state of Ogun state where the total number of votes for the president is more than that of the Governor. Even River State where the percentage of voters that voted is 100%,( it can never happen) so between voters registration and election day , no voter died, somebody travelled out of the state or no sick bed on elction day. Nigeria is a funny place to be.

2. What has he done to the self confessed election riggers -- Chris Uba  and Alhaji Tinubu.
Go and sin no more against my party - People Destructive Party.

3. What happened to all the money voted for the construction of road networks given to His Mr Fix it- Tony Annenih (1999 - 2003). What happened to NPA during Chief Bode George Tenure -- Reward with the Chairmanship of Bank of Industries.

4. Why is he holding on tightly to the Petroleum Ministry since 1999. The ministry is not accountable to the NASS.

5. why support illegality in Oyo state--impeachment of Ladoja, well this is not the first time, it happed during the last election when Deputy governor of Ogun and Osun were arrested for protesting electoral rigging.

With all these he should remember that what goes around comes around surely. He that live by sword shall by the sword. Ride on Mr know it all.

Well as for me and some other few friends we are back to dark days of Abacha.
He want to stay but do not know how-- Jobs for the basket mouth Fani-kayodes, Mantu and Bode George of this world.

Nigeria will continue to be even after our generation.

This Nigerian probably had 3 more kids since he they posted this on NL in 2006 and we are still asking the same questions. . .

See you in 2019. . .

(1) (Reply)

Predict Upcoming Nigerian Newspaper Headlines / Kano State Govt And Hypocrisy / Kaduna Muslims Vow To Frustrate New Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.