Stats: 3,151,726 members, 7,813,399 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever (63083 Views)

Breaking: Tope Awotona officially recognized as a billionaire on Forbes / Tope Awotona: Meet Nigeria's Richest Man In The US / Forbes: Tope Awotona First Nigerian American Billionaire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by trutharena: 1:25pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nigeria-Born Tope Awotona Poured His Life Savings Into Calendly. Now He’s One Of America’s Wealthiest Immigrants

Tope Awotona, the 40-year-old founder and chief executive of Calendly, leans back in his chair and lets loose a loud guffaw.

“You call it on message, I call it the truth,” he says, slapping his hands on the table. The truth, as Awotona has it, is that everyone needs Calendly, his scheduling software, to lead better, more productive, happier work lives.

Nine years ago, Awotona started Calendly, pouring his life savings of $200,000 into it and later quitting his job selling software for EMC. Today, the company has 10 million users and counts Lyft, Ancestry.com, Indiana University and La-Z-Boy among its customers. Revenue last year passed $100 million, double what it booked the previous year. It could double again this year.

The company, which was founded in Atlanta but no longer has any physical offices, has been profitable since 2016. Last year it raised $350 million in funding from OpenView Venture Partners and Iconiq Capital at a price that values the business at $3 billion. That means Awotona’s majority stake is worth at least $1.4 billion, after the 10% discount that Forbes applies to shares of all private companies. Awotona is one of just two Black tech billionaires in the United States, along with David Steward, the 70-year-old founder of Missouri-based IT provider World Wide Technology. “Tope could be the most successful African-American tech entrepreneur of his generation,” says David Cummings, founder of Atlanta Ventures, which led a $550,000 seed investment in Calendly seven years ago.

Calendly doesn’t have the scheduling business to itself. Square, Microsoft and Zurich-based Doodle offer competing products. But Calendly has gained traction with its sleek, consumer-friendly design and its freemium model that lets it gain paying customers with no marketing.

“In my life, I’ve benefited from not taking the conventional wisdom,” Awotona says. “It’s benefited me personally, and I think it has benefited the business.”

Awotona was born in Lagos, Nigeria, into a middle-class family. His father was a microbiologist and entrepreneur; his mother worked at the central bank. Lagos, a city of 15 million, is economically vibrant but dangerous. When Awotona was 12 he witnessed his father get shot and killed in a carjacking. “There was a part of me, from a very early age, that wanted to redeem him,” he once said.

In 1996, when he was 15, he moved with his family to Atlanta. He studied computer science at the University of Georgia, then switched to business and management information. “I loved coding, but it was too monotonous,” he says. “I’m probably too extroverted to be a coder.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amyfeldman/2022/04/06/nigeria-born-tope-awotona-poured-his-life-savings-into-calendly-now-hes-one-of-americas-wealthiest-immigrants/?sh=38af6af93645

139 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by BeingCamping: 1:29pm On Apr 06, 2022
Wow nice one.

Naija to the world.

184 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by trutharena: 1:29pm On Apr 06, 2022
Some Fact:

Tope Awotona company Calendly is now valued at $3bn.

That means Awotona’s majority stake is worth at least $1.4 billion

Tope Awotona & David Steward are the ONLY two Black tech billionaires in the United States

Calendly currently has 10 million users

“Tope could be the most successful African-American tech entrepreneur of his generation,” says David Cummings

266 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by MrMaestro: 1:34pm On Apr 06, 2022
Wonderful development. When people say Yorubas aren’t in a class of their own when it comes to business, continue to show them people like this guy. There are even more other tribes from Nigeria in America, yet a Yoruba is the wealthiest Nigerian immigrant. Soon he will pass every other black american. Only entertainers and Robert Smith are ahead of him. If this company goes public he might pass Dangote. Thank God almighty that the Yorubas are blessed.

365 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by LikeAking: 1:52pm On Apr 06, 2022
SO?

wHO IM EPP?

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by jneutron4000: 1:55pm On Apr 06, 2022
MrMaestro:
Wonderful development. When people say Yorubas aren’t in a class of their own when it comes to business, continue to show them people like this guy. There are even more other tribes from Nigeria in America, yet a Yoruba is the wealthiest Nigerian immigrant. Soon he will pass every other black american. Only entertainers and Robert Smith are ahead of him. If this company goes public he might pass Dangote. Thank God almighty that the Yorubas are blessed.
when it comes to bussiness Yoruba are at the top, they do not make noise and brag about it. undecided

269 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by heniford2: 2:11pm On Apr 06, 2022
Paid hyping undecided lipsrsealed simple contacts forbe & 4get all grin

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by TheComicGuy(m): 2:15pm On Apr 06, 2022
Yourba amaka grin

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Christistruth00: 2:18pm On Apr 06, 2022
jneutron4000:
when it comes to bussiness Yoruba are the top, they do not make noise and brag about it. undecided

The way to be good at Business is to Truly care for your Customers and Staff

Any Business that cares more about money than Peoples needs and their Welfare will not have the

Goodwill, Wisdom , Power or Grace to last beyond one Generation

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by sinkhole: 2:20pm On Apr 06, 2022
TheComicGuy:
Yourba amaka grin
Igbo amonka grin

23 Likes

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by TheComicGuy(m): 2:23pm On Apr 06, 2022
sinkhole:
Igbo amonka grin
comrade cheesy

21 Likes

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Nigerialabalaba: 2:33pm On Apr 06, 2022
E try o but still na money wey no reach wetin same Nigerians dey make for Naija. Remita by systemspecs alone go buy am.

which one be dis yeye negative sterotype
all dis refugee Nigerians dey use to take claim sympathy for US sef. Which one is Lagos, a city of 15 million, is economically vibrant but dangerous" like say no be d same Lagos all d richest Nigerians wey dey same forbes list dem make money. All dis omo oju ori ola ri wey go dey answer Olaniyan sef. Imagine pesin wey neva step foot for Naija con dey write trash like say no be dat same yeye US wey every week crazy people go dey enter public space dey shoot kill every innocent pesin in sight hin dey. Shiorr

Na like so d parents of dat chess boy take lie say na Boko Haram chase dem come US wen even d chibok families wey Boko haram carry dem daughters sef still dey for Nigeria.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by FirstSon01: 2:40pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nigerians tend to do better when they have splendid opportunities...

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by trutharena: 2:51pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nigerialabalaba:
E try o but still na money wey no reach wetin same Nigerians dey make for Naija. Remita by systemspecs alone go buy am.

I think you are drunk.

Is Remitta worth $3billion?

Be like say you no know wetin dem dey call $3billion.

Below is major bank market value, you can see Calendly is even worth more than any Nigeria bank let alone that small Remitta.

91 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 06, 2022
Every true Igbo man respects yoruba Christians. But you see yoro moslems miscreants? Menace to society. If they are not supporting aboki, they are supporting Chicago druggie

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 06, 2022
I love men like this, who has vision not those that go abroad to spoil the country's name and end up populating their prisons over there!

Truly Yoruba is the master when it comes to business but they don't chest beat about it!
God bless Nigeria! grin

138 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Nigerialabalaba: 3:01pm On Apr 06, 2022
trutharena:

I think you are drunk.

Is Remitta worth $3billion?

Be like say you no know wetin dem dey call $3billion.

Below is major bank market value, you can see Calendly is even worth more than any Nigeria bank let alone that small Remitta.
u no dey house wen dem dey share sense aswear2gud.
olodo, na inferior complex dey worry u. All dat yeye bloated software coy valuations na hin u dey compare with real coys wey get real money , dey cash out daily and a whole systemspec wey dey move billions daily. U tink say na by one yeye valuations dem take dey do am.

I don see say u be one of d native people like u wey neva achieve anytin for life go dey share chart upandan. Shiorr.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Businessman1986(m): 3:04pm On Apr 06, 2022
MrMaestro:

No need for this. I am Yoruba and I can tell you easily that Nigerians of all ethnic backgrounds succeed in the states.

98 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by trutharena: 3:05pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nigerialabalaba:

u no dey house wen dem dey share sense. olodo, na inferior complex dey worry u. All dat yeye bloated software coy valuations na hin u dey compare with coys wey get real money and systemspec wey dey move billions daily.
I don see say u be one of d native people like u wey neva achieve anytin for life go dey share chart upandan. Shiorr.

If you get sense you go know say the billions Remitta or other banks are moving daily is not their money so how does that come into this discussion?

We are talking about market value, this one is saying nonsense. Bring Remitta market value cap or keep shut. This discussion is above what your brain can comprehend.

So because you are a bank or payment agency, any money of your customer is suddenly your money? I know before that IPOB terrorists no get sense but you just validated my assertions.

By the way Calendly is based in USA, if Forbes acknowledged it as one of the most successful black business why should I waste time with a NOBODY like you from Upper Iweka?

115 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Nigerialabalaba: 3:19pm On Apr 06, 2022
trutharena:

If you get sense you go know say the billions Remitta or other banks are moving daily is not their money so how does that come into this discussion?

We are talking about market value, this one is saying nonsense. Bring Remitta market value cap or keep shut. This discussion is above what your brain can comprehend.

So because you are a bank or payment agency, any money of your customer is suddenly your money? I know before that IPOB terrorists no get sense but you just validated my assertions.

By the way Calendly is based in USA, if Forbes acknowledged it as one of the most successful black business why should I waste time with a NOBODY like you from Upper Iweka?

Olodo, if u dey move money daily,na dat money dem dey collect commission on. Dat na value wey dey fetch money per second and no be yeye valuation of software company
U be native inferior black man wey be say if u hia America like dis, u go dey foam for mouth and dey smell ur mouth armpit for body odour.
Na because of dis yeye valuation na hin dey make warren buffet no dey buy dem. Valuation no be d koko until u dey fetch real cash.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by AustineE1: 3:22pm On Apr 06, 2022
This is how Forbes was hyping Invictus Obi that year,I just hope tomorrow we won't see his name on FBI most wanted list.
Anyway congrats to the gentleman.

17 Likes

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by trutharena: 3:24pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nigerialabalaba:

Olodo, if u dey move money daily,na dat money dem dey collect commission on. Dat na value wey dey fetch money per second and no be yeye valuation of software company
U be native inferior black man wey be say if u hia America like dis, u go dey foam for mouth and dey smell ur mouth armpit for body odour.
Na because of dis yeye valuation na hin dey make warren buffet no dey buy dem. Valuation no be d koko until u dey fetch real cash.

Now ask yourself how much is the commission daily and now compare it to the subscription fees Calendly collect daily also and use that to infer the worth.

IPOB terrorists lack thinking. So because bank collect commissions daily that means they must be the richest business in the world? Why is no bank listed in the top 10 companies with the biggest worth in the world? You see your lame logic?

Just as Remitta collect commission on money is as Calendly collect subscription fees daily. Calendly has over 10million active users paying subscription in $$. Use your brain for once Shinedu.

What is Remitta market cap value? Paste him here to save us from his lame back and forth argument.

86 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Benwallt(m): 3:30pm On Apr 06, 2022
LikeAking:
SO?

wHO IM EPP?
im pockets

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Nigerialabalaba: 3:48pm On Apr 06, 2022
trutharena:

Now ask yourself how much is the commission daily and now compare it to the subscription fees Calendly collect daily also and use that to infer the worth.

IPOB terrorists lack thinking. So because bank collect commissions daily that means they must be the richest business in the world? Why is no bank listed in the top 10 companies with the biggest worth in the world? You see your lame logic?

Just as Remitta collect commission on money is as Calendly collect subscription fees daily. Calendly has over 10million active users paying subscription in $$. Use your brain for once Shinedu.

What is Remitta market cap value? Paste him here to save us from his lame back and forth argument.
olodo, u tink say I dey say d guy no try. I just dey school u say no be by valuation.

if 10 million dey pay $20 monthly for calendly,dat na $200m monthly and dat na $2.4 billion revenue alone from subscription fees. abeg use ur brain for once, which company go dey make $2.4 billion yearly and still dey raise money from investors every time.

U need sense aswear2gud. Business no be for by valuation o, na by real cash and cashflow wey dey flow like river. If dat company get dat money, e no go dey do series funding upandan, in fact, equity funding no go enter dem eyes especially for $3 b valuation.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by PlayerMeji: 4:05pm On Apr 06, 2022
Yoruba waado

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by dasparrow: 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2022
Kudos to him and more grease to his elbows

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Kpengla(m): 5:08pm On Apr 06, 2022
If to say this guy na Ibo now we for no fit rest again for nairaland

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by trutharena: 5:24pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nigerialabalaba:

olodo, u tink say I dey say d guy no try. I just dey school u say no be by valuation.

if 10 million dey pay $20 monthly for calendly,dat na $200m monthly and dat na $2.4 billion revenue alone from subscription fees. abeg use ur brain for once, which company go dey make $2.4 billion yearly and still dey raise money from investors every time.

U need sense aswear2gud. Business no be for by valuation o, na by real cash and cashflow wey dey flow like river. If dat company get dat money, e no go dey do series funding upandan, in fact, equity funding no go enter dem eyes especially for $3 b valuation.

Stop saying nonsense. Software are paid for by companies who buy the right to use it and plug their employees on it. They have 10million people using it and those can be grouped under their respective companies. For example Lyft is one of their customers, that mean that all lyft employees using the Calendly software are part of the 10million people.

Micorosft Azure and AWS for example has subscription fees that corporations pay but their employees are plugged into it to use it and even most times their customer base itself from the front end. Grow sense and learn.

You see why I said you no too get sense? Companies continue to attract investment even sometimes big corporation which was why Elon Musk just bought more shares to be the biggest shareholder in Twitter. Since this is not a 2by2 shop, I can understand your brainpower can't comprehend.

Lastly, it is not by cash flow alone, are you the owner of the cash itself? If moving money as a bank is easy money for banks like that why are the banks not the richest corporations in the world? Shinedu think nao.

79 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by plaindealer: 5:37pm On Apr 06, 2022
AustineE1:
This is how Forbes was hyping Invictus Obi that year,I just hope tomorrow we won't see his name on FBI most wanted list.
Anyway congrats to the gentleman.

No ipobian post is complete without hatred, bitterness and evil wishing.

Who take hatred and evil swear for you people?

42 Likes

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Bignuell(m): 6:40pm On Apr 06, 2022
Omoo, two monicker arguing up above, i hate to say this but you both are right. I don't know how to use all these terms but i know that all this evaluation, worth, are all paper money, not even sure that guy has $100M cash at hand. And nigerialabalaba asked, if a company is making $2.4B in revenue, why does it need funding? I'm also asking. In terms of market value, remitta doesn't stand a chance. Is it because remitta is a local payment system??

Re: Forbes: Tope Awotona Is One Of The America's Wealthiest Immigrant Ever by Nobody: 6:42pm On Apr 06, 2022
trutharena:

Why was the guy trash talking nigeria saying lagos is dangerous and all of that? Unless half his brains had been eaten by dogs with that statement he made he should've realized his negative portrayal of our country could lead to a negative perception from outsiders and may drive away investors

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Folorunsho Alakija Is Building Famfa Towers, Costs N60 Billion / Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month / For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62