Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,826 members, 7,828,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Who Was Helping Who? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Was Helping Who? (1983 Views)

Helping Christians Think / Helping The Thinkers Believe, And Helping The Believers Think. / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was Helping Who? by Joagbaje(m): 7:06pm On Jul 30, 2011
Zikkyy:

I think you are introducing unnecessary complexities to a simple issue. Before you go about understanding spiritual laws, why not first understand the motive for (or purpose of) the event. The question i would ask is; was Elijah sent to help the woman or to find sustenance for himself? If purpose was for Elijah to be taken care off,

I get your point . I agree in your context. But let's look at it from the op perspective. It's a higher truth. It's like God asking us to bring a ram for offering. And he says he love the aroma and for that reason blesses us for it. But look at it in reality. God only make us do it for our sake.

Psalms 50:12-14
12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.
13 Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats
14 Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:

He only give us opportunity to position ourselves for receiving. Jesus threw more light on it here.

Luke 4:25-27
25 But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land; 26 But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow. 27 And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian.

Simple illustration of Jesus in summary : Elisha helped Naaman ,Elijah helped the widow. Finish .
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by newmi(m): 7:14pm On Jul 30, 2011
Joagbaje:

He only give us opportunity to position ourselves for receiving.  Jesus threw more light on it here.

25 But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land; 26 But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow. 27 And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian.

Simple illustration of Jesus in summary :  Elisha helped Naaman ,Elijah helped the widow. Finish .

Gbam!
l couldn't agree any less.
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by newmi(m): 7:44pm On Jul 30, 2011
KunleOshob:

Nobody is helping anybody in the above passage as they were both obeying God's commands. It was God that commanded the widow directly to give out of her little to Elijah.
How do you mean or do you mean to tell me that this expresión ". . .I have commanded a widow woman there TO SUSTAIN thee" doesnt communicate "help"? off course God gets the glory for being the undisputed "Mastermind" behind it but it didnt all happen in vacuum; God used a "human medium" (on both sides)

Also another thing that l tend to frawn at in your comments is the use seem to want to put all the responsibility on God, yes God did the "commanding" (becos the context shows us so ". . .I have commanded a widow woman there TO SUSTAIN thee"wink but theres no record or the slightest suggession to indicate that the woman in question "a direct" command from God like you tried to insinuate. My question to you now is: How did the widow get her "command" and from who?
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by PastorKun(m): 6:57am On Jul 31, 2011
@newmumu
I don't know whether they fry you people's brains in cec when you go an fry your hair. Why can't God command the woman directly Is it becos you have been brain washed to believe God only communicates with people through MOGs? God could have commanded the woman through he dream. There is no indication in the bible that God did not communicate with her directly so stop trying to force your daft opinion into scriptures.
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by newmi(m): 9:13am On Jul 31, 2011
Pastor Kun:

@newmumu
I don't know whether they fry you people's brains in cec when you go an fry your hair. Why can't God command the woman directly Is it becos you have been brain washed to believe God only communicates with people through MOGs? God could have commanded the woman through he dream. There is no indication in the bible that God did not communicate with her directly so stop trying to force your daft opinion into scriptures.
haha funny huon! you can call me whatever you may wish but perhaps this will interest you; l have gone past being offended and be that as it may though just for the records, l would be nuts and stupid to say or even suggest in the slightest or reason that God can't or couldn't have directly command the woman, you may wish to review my comments again. Now what l said was that the context doesnt seem to suggest that she had had a direct command experience From God in the same manner that we observe Elijah the prophet did. GOD IS THE MASTER COMMUNICATOR I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND NOW. Please stop coming into threads with a fault seeking mind only to simply induce offence why not simply be a christian. Thank u no ill feelingsu can call me whatever you may wish but perhaps this will interest you; l have gone past being offended and be that as it may though just for the records, l would be nuts and stupid to say or even suggest in the slightest or reason that God can't or couldn't have directly command the woman, you may wish to review my comments again. Now what l said was that the context doesnt seem to suggest that she had had a direct command experience From God in the same manner that we observe Elijah the prophet did. GOD IS THE MASTER COMMUNICATOR I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND NOW. Please stop coming into threads with a fault seeking mind only to simply induce offence why not simply be a christian. Thank u no ill feelings
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by Zikkyy(m): 9:33am On Aug 01, 2011
Joagbaje:

He only give us opportunity to position ourselves for receiving.  Jesus threw more light on it here.

Simple illustration of Jesus in summary :  Elisha helped Naaman ,Elijah helped the widow. Finish .

Jesus was not talking about 'who was helping who' here angry This is not relevant. maybe i should ask you; what did Naaman 'give' to provoke the anointing God sending the prophets to foreigners when there were many widows and lepers in Israel indicates a motive/purpose that goes beyond 'who helped who'. You come here talking about greater truth and the best we ever got from you was irrelevant truth grin that is when you are not preaching 'false truths' grin
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by Enigma(m): 10:45am On Aug 01, 2011
Can't resist this!  grin

newmi:

Joagbaje link=topic=707140.msg8822179#msg8822179 date=1312049199:

Gbam!
l couldn't agree any less.

Do you realise that means you disagree completely and agree with nothing in the statement you quoted? smiley
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by newmi(m): 11:50am On Aug 01, 2011
@ Enigma
can't resist it either lol.  . . .
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by Enigma(m): 12:03pm On Aug 01, 2011
^^ You mean you still don't realise that what you said is that you disagreed with Joagbaje totally? Well, all good then. smiley
Re: Who Was Helping Who? by Nobody: 4:59am On Aug 02, 2011
7And it came to pass after a while, that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land. 8And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, 9Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee.

God commanded the woman to help elijah and he made this known to him. if that came from God why are we still debating over this matter?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Well-informed "Myth Believers" Wicked? (for Atheists) / Funny Church Posters In Nigeria / 10 Lies Propagated By New Generation Church Pastors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.