Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? (15665 Views)

Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / An Ijebu Boy And His City (with exclusive city pictures) / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by olat(m): 10:46pm On Feb 18, 2006
Let me start from here. This thread is not intended for tribalism nor ethnic profiling. I have various experience at hand. So many good ladies from the Ijebuland - intelligent, morally upright and all that. But unfortunaley as early as their suitors (or suitor's family) know they are from Ijebu. (Ijebu is a tribe from Among the Yorubas, in the South-West of Nigeria). Hey, that is the end of the relationship. Its a known fact that all other Yoruba tribes from Ibadan, to Oyo, Osun to Kwara despise an Ijebu lady. Any of their sons that marry an Ijebu lady is an 'outkast'. It looks like an epic stuff, but ironically its still much around us. So many 'myth' sorround this issue, while some are true (but could be dealth with) others are largely misconceptions and presumtions. This thread is meant to liberate the Ijebu woman and to open up other issues associated with it. I am proudly OKO IJEBU (My wife is from Ijebu). Guyz, I wish u can join me 'cos am enjoying every bit of it. Please share ur experience!

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Seun(m): 3:24am On Feb 19, 2006
Wow. Does that mean it will be easy to find a nice Ijebu lady, since no-one else wants to marry them? Cool!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by 4real(m): 4:32am On Feb 19, 2006
well am not from ijebu am an Ondo boy proper, but am going out with an Ijebu woman from ijebu remo, well i really don't know what it is that people say about them, but for me it has been the best experience of my life with her, yea she can be stubborn, but i just i should say just like me too grin, i have heard about the ijebu thing but really don't know what it is that is wrong with them, maybe i can find out from here, but till she dumps me, i guess you people at naira should better perpare to go to ijebu to go and postrate on the floor with me.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by IAH(f): 8:14am On Feb 19, 2006
This myth/stereotype does not only surround the Ijebu ladies but also the Ijebu men. Other Yoruba sects generally believe that Ijebu people (men and women) are usually wicked to their spouses and they use jazz(voodoo) on their spouses. It's definitely a myth, or if it's a fact then it's an outdated fact because I know Ijebu guys and girls who are complete Ajebotas.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Seun(m): 8:21am On Feb 19, 2006
All I want to know is where I can find these lonely Ijebu ladies!

5 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by IAH(f): 8:34am On Feb 19, 2006
Lol, I think you stay in that side. If you go to OSU, Ago Iwoye or UNAABeokuta or OgunPoly, Ojere. They are plenty there. cheesy cheesy
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by olat(m): 10:03am On Feb 19, 2006
Seun, u can't be serious, if u are then take them by ur side, they r all around u, IAH dont mind him he's also an Ijebu man (my guess).
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by IAH(f): 10:11am On Feb 19, 2006
olat:

IAH don't mind him he's also an Ijebu man (my guess).

Really? shocked shocked shocked I thought he's Egba because he's always defending our Egba Presido (OBJ). No wonder he's strict, Ijebu Manu. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Seun(m): 10:25am On Feb 19, 2006
I'm neither Ijebu nor Egba, but if there are lonely Ijebu ladies somewhere in need of me, I am too much of a gentleman to deny them of my vital services. So here I come! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by cushman(m): 12:14pm On Feb 19, 2006
I can marry any type of lady unmindful of her ethnic and religious background.
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by 4real(m): 5:19am On Feb 20, 2006
so they use jazz oh my God and am going out with one, shocked , that means that she used jazz on me, angry, well well well, but come to think about it, with the way she treats me and the good food and other things, i beg i give her my permission to use jazz on me till i dead grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Nobody: 8:16am On Feb 20, 2006
i am a lady; lets rephrase the question like this; can you marry an ijebu man? IJEBU MAN shocked Never, i can never get involved with them, not to talk of getting married to them.
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by ijebuman(m): 12:08pm On Feb 20, 2006
I don't know whether to laugh or cry as regards to this topic.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Feb 20, 2006
The thing is with where she grew up and had her ideas of life formed from. i an an ijebu manu, and i told myself i will never even get close to a girl who grew up in ijebu land. Man, they have attitudes there! Bloody partygoers, jealous b!tch3s, h8ers, money-grubbin', rat-race-mentality, "if-i-cant-get-there-then-i-wont-let-you-either", spend-like-h3ll on parties but wont be bothered about other things. I am not being tribalistic, i have cousins in an all-girl family. I know what they are like. on the other hand those ones that grew up "away", and are not influenced by their parents' prejudices, ahhh, they make lovely, committed, dedicated and fr3aky wives. Seun, you should l shocked k for those ones.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by exu(m): 1:03pm On Feb 20, 2006
This thread is ridiculous.

I have a 3 year old cousin who is more worldly than a lot of you guys.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by alextayo(m): 1:42pm On Feb 20, 2006
I am an Ijebu man and i must stand to defend my race. Every tribe has one or two ugly myth associated with them. The Edo, Binis, Ondos, Igbos, Hausa etc. have their own share of malicious myth and evil stories surrounding their people.

The best answer to this topic is based on RELATIVISM. Relativism as a philosophical term asserts that "Their is no universal truth in the world".

Therefore whatever is tru to you is only true to you and may not be true to someone else.

An enlightened IJEBU MAN or WOMAN should not be bothered by such stories.
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by larger20(m): 1:48pm On Feb 20, 2006
I think i know this ijebu thing but the ones i meet are nice though. I lost my way and went to african briad house to ask for direction. Guess who i saw. The stored owner is from ijebu with her two daughters helping out to do womens hair. I asked them for direction and they helped me get to the town i was going. They were nice and the two girls even though they look tin and small, gosh, this girls are no longer teen but I still think they would be good wife so here is how i ran away.

I tried to woo the girls infront of their mom and it became a joky thing unti their brother came back with his "white" girl friend to give me a ride to the town i was going to. The two girlsgot into the car, Come see mouth split in the car, I bought the petrol just to compensate the driving but these girls became fire in the car. I could not talk again until I reached my destination. All isaidwas "thanksor theride" I still talk to them now anyays
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by hayo(m): 3:47pm On Feb 20, 2006
Ijebu Woman - Too Worldy, loves party and may kill you before you are wise to marry another woman
Ondo Woman - Lailai, one husband can never fill her cupboard
Ibadan Woman - Very rass, dirty and cunny
Ekiti Woman - Yeepa, you wan die. She is too bloody tough. Alagidi
Ife Woman - Oluku mi ree ni (Meaning they love concubines grin)
Oyo Woman - Sango o, Oko Oya, dem dey go herbalist's house like market

So which one we go come marry. It is not only Ijebu women that have stigmas associated to them, almost every town in Yoruba land has one or two. I have come to realise that it is a personal race and no matter where you come from, you decide what you believe and what you wanna do. So, look for a good woman and not a woman from a particular ethnic group or town.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by ono(m): 3:50pm On Feb 20, 2006
I spent most of my childhood days shuttling Ijebu-Ode (the Authentic Capital of Ijebuland) and Lagos. I'm not Yoruba or Ijebu for that matter, but I must say here that the Ijebus are among the best tribes in the whole of Yorubaland.

The Ijebus are hardworking, prudent and witty. They love and embrace education, that's why the second oldest secondary school in Ogun State, Ijebu-Ode grammar school was erected in their land. The late Chief T.A Odutola, the well known and respect business mogul was an Ijebu man. Otunba Subomi Balogun of FCMB is an Ijebu man. And even Chief Adenuga of GloMobile is an Ijebu man. There is a galaxy of other eminent Ijebu people whom I've been privilege to come across and relate with in the course of my sojourn in their land.

Marrying any of the enlightened ladies amongst them will definitely be a blessing to any self respecting guy.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 20, 2006
ono:

Marrying any of the enlightened ladies amongst them will definitely be a blessing to any self respecting guy.

That's the point i am trying to make - the enlightened ones - not just those that went to school, o. the ones that have disabused their mind of the cultural and tribal rubbish we are usually indoctrinated with by our parents/grandparents.
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by adeore(f): 7:06pm On Feb 20, 2006
hayo you have not finish what of Osun
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by mmomi(f): 11:25am On Feb 21, 2006
I have Ijebu friends they are nice.
I think this depends on the individual.
And generally there is an atom of truth in this tribal myths especially those that grow up in that town.
Come to think of this-
Anambra women- calculate money in your pocket by mere looking at it.
Mbaise man- you have to kill him first b4 killing a snake
Aba Ngwa man- eats human being
calabar pple- witch in korokoro eye
and many others,
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by OluAbuja(m): 12:37pm On Feb 21, 2006
You guys make me laugh. hayo, 100 gbosas for you.

Wen mo fo awon obiren Ijebu are the best. My wife is Ijebu and very pretty.

Let me tell you a true experience. I almost fought my family because of a Delta lady. I swore to disown my family if i was not allowed to marry her. Do you know what happened? A se omo girl yi o feran me at all. She didn't really love me yet she watched me fight my family. I later discovered that her mum didn't approve of me because i no carry moto kon dia house. Her mum wanted her to marry a rich okoro man who was in the USA. Of course she lost out. US guy ko, UK guy ni. Ewu Delta girls.

Suddenly, i went for my master's degree in UNILORIN and met the most beautiful girl on earth, an Ijebu girl who believes in me and trust God that the future will be alright. We got married and leave gloriously together in Abuja.

Ijebu man (me) married Ijebu woman and gave birth to an Abuja daugther. What a combination.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 21, 2006
ijebu ladies are the best i tell u.
most other tribes are always envious of them thats why pple ssay al the negative things

the are good entrepreneurs and really hard working and among the yorubas they are very similar to the ibos when u talk about business. they are also lovers of education.an average ijebu family has almost all the childen as graduates.

all those talks about parties and the lot are quite unfounded. i tell u.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by shockreaction(m): 6:01pm On Feb 21, 2006
Weird, weird stuff.
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Nobody: 2:28am On Feb 22, 2006
@helen123

All you have said is true, but they still party! grin and they player-hate. Big time. I am an Ijebu manu, i should know, now!
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by ono(m): 8:57am On Feb 22, 2006
Olu Abuja:

Wen mo fo awon obiren Ijebu are the best. My wife is Ijebu and very pretty.

I almost fought my family because of a Delta lady. I swore to disown my family if i was not allowed to marry her. Do you know what happened? A se omo girl yi o feran me at all. She didn't really love me yet she watched me fight my family. I later discovered that her mum didn't approve of me because i no carry moto kon dia house. Her mum wanted her to marry a rich okoro man who was in the USA. Of course she lost out. US guy ko, UK guy ni. Ewu Delta girls.

Ijebu man (me) married Ijebu woman and gave birth to an Abuja daugther. What a combination.

Olu, just thank your stars that you met a good woman of ur dreams and stop casting aspersions on other tribal women. As far as I'm concerned, there are good and terrible women out there in ALL tribes Just look for the one that suits you and thank God when you meet her.

I'm from Delta, but I married a Calabar woman, and I'm very glad, happy and fulfilled that I did.
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by LondonIgbo: 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2006
exu:

This thread is ridiculous.

I have a 3 year old cousin who is more worldly than a lot of you guys.
I agree
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by ijebuman(m): 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2006
@Ono
That's why i have not said much. Judge a person not a group, our generation needs to rise above ethnic stereotypes and prejudice.
Back in the day our grandparents used prejudice and stereotypes, which people are repeating here to ensure the cohesiveness of their group. By demonising other groups they ensured that people married within the group.
In this day and age i don't really understand why anyone will allow prejudice to determine the way they relate to other Nigerians.
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by gentleaura(m): 4:30pm On Feb 22, 2006
My mother is one hell of a prudent smart intelligent independent, successful Ijebu woman. I love and cherish my Ijebus in general, talking of the women?. Independent ladies? yeah thats the Ijebus.
Although they can be mean, because they cant let anything stop them on their way to success! So you had expect a lot of biase comment about the independent and successful Ijebu woman. Their penchant for holding onto what is theirs is the only call for jealousy, the Ijebu woman wont let go of whats hers! So dont blame the smart woman!

Dont judge on stereotypes you could never go wrong with an Ijebu woman anyday anytime!!
Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by Seun(m): 4:43pm On Feb 22, 2006
I'm still looking for these lonely and lovely Ijebu women. If you find some let me know! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? by gentleaura(m): 4:52pm On Feb 22, 2006
Seun:

I'm still looking for these lonely and lovely Ijebu women. If you find some let me know! grin

I have 2 cousin going to Babcock Uni, I bet thts not far from where you live?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mayans' 2012 Prediction / Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, Obi Of Onitsha On Restructuring, Igbo Presidency / Meanings Of Musical Instruments In Your Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.