Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,125 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? (29142 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" / Would You Marry An Osu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 7:17pm On Feb 14, 2012
I'm surprised than in 2012, some people are still behaving as if they're living in the stone age. They still discriminate against OSU and OHU people. let me know from Igbos on here: [size=16pt]Can you marry an OSU?[/size]
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:34pm On Feb 14, 2012
And it begins, once again. Anyway, chances are that I won't knowingly marry Osu, and I also don't think I would actively encourage my children to marry Osu.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:38pm On Feb 14, 2012
My brother the matter is mind boggling!! We have osus in my town but my family never discriminated against them even though most ppl do! My mother always told me to remember that all human being are all equall in the eyes of GOD!! Our farmland is close to their ALUSI which is closer to their village and we always go to their house to get cold water during farming season and I can confidently tell you that we are probally the only family amongst my own village that will receive food from them!! Most ppl from my town dont even like to buy broom from them talk more of receiving food! To be continued. . . .

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:03pm On Feb 14, 2012
For those who are saying they will not marry an OSU,let me ask you this. . .What makes you better than them. . .am shocked this is coming from some ppl who live in America the supposed land of the freed!! No matter how much shower you gave a pig they will still get dirty!!

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 9:38pm On Feb 14, 2012
Civilised people indeed.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:50pm On Feb 14, 2012
afam4eva:

Civilised people indeed.

I hear you,nwanne !
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:13pm On Feb 14, 2012
Here I came: The way these osu ppl have been programed to think and feel is very heartbroken!! These ppl were born just like every Okoduan,hence nobody has the authority to keep them in their present condition!
Imagine! They cant take the Ozo title until its given to them by a non-osu !!
They cant marry from the rest of the town!! They cant be an EZEANI or IGWE!! Umuofia is not for them and they dont have an ISI OZO amongst them meaning the cant bestow an OZO title on one of their own!!
The sadest part is how some ppl treat them as if they are plague!! Some will hide in the bush and shout "UMU-OSU" at them !!
I have always seen my immidiate family as a NOBLE one because my father even though he was poor has always stood in the part of JUSTICE and FAIRNESS!! These gives me a lot of superior mindset because I feel GOD is with my family!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:28pm On Feb 14, 2012
You people make me laugh. Which one concern you sef? Will you marry Osu kwa?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 10:32pm On Feb 14, 2012
Are they not human? Why the discrimination.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:04pm On Feb 14, 2012
You can't just answer the question? Does the below not apply to you also? Let's hear from you too.

afam4eva:
let me know from Igbos on here
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Obiagu1(m): 2:30am On Feb 15, 2012
Marry Osu at your own peril.

Towns and communities that still practice it should abolish it. It's wicked!

As for me, it's not practised in my town or towns close to me and I won't go all the way to a town that still practise it to marry. Never! I wouldn't want to be treated like crap by my in-laws.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by nedu210(m): 3:47am On Feb 15, 2012
afam4eva:

I'm surprised than in 2012, some people are still behaving as if they're living in the stone age. They still discriminate against OSU and OHU people. let me know from Igbos on here: [size=16pt]Can you marry an OSU?[/size]
afam what i could hav love u to do is to educate ppl on what osu is all about be4 u ask that question so  that ppl will not make much argument about notin and if u dont knw wat is osu u better edit this topic.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:50am On Feb 15, 2012
Afam, discrimination is purposeful. Consequently, to counter it requires purposeful effort. What kind of purposeful effort will you contribute? Will you marry Osu? Or better yet, what is the likelihood that you will marry Osu? Would you also encourage your children to marry Osu? You said you want to hear from Igbo here, and you are part of that population, so let us also hear from you.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:55am On Feb 15, 2012
What's funny is that there is even nothing to talk about, concerning this Osu topic. People are raising dust for no reason.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by nedu210(m): 4:16am On Feb 15, 2012
Truly osu should be abolished but am disappointed at Nri priest and obiagu1, especialy Nri priest 4 not knwin wat osu is. I dint want 2 answer afams question if he dint tell us wat he knw about osu, but let me say it, i can marry osu but ppl should knw wat they ar getting into be4.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:48am On Feb 15, 2012
nedu210:

Truly osu should be abolished but am disappointed at Nri priest and obiagu1, especialy Nri priest 4 not knwin wat osu is. I dint want 2 answer afams question if he dint tell us wat he knw about osu, but let me say it, i can marry osu but ppl should knw wat they ar getting into be4.

Eduga,you got me very wrong on that one. Infact I have in full knowledge the origin of osu and its growth to what it is today, I will give you a sneak peek into the origin of umu-osu ; In the early times its very common to use humans for sacrifices for all sorts of reasons; one of them is that if you commit an abomination in the land you will be killed but after sometimes villagers stop killing these ppl but rather banish them into the evil forest where they live in isolationfrom the rest of the town eve though the land belongs to the prosecutors. Another is that villagers used to sacrifice humans to the oracle for apeasement,sacrifices for good harvest or even use them to bury the EZE ANI(like Eze Nri) but after sometime for reasons unknown to me the cold blooded sacrifices stopped but the ritual took another dimension; Now they wont be killed but sacrificed and banish into the evil forest with the rest of the rejected. Even there were non-osus who out of rebellion ran into a particular forest by eke Umuoji which a non-osu isnt suppose to set foot into,and you will forever remain an osu if you dare set your foot into that forest!! Even my mother nearly made a music out of it just to remind me not to near that forest. My point is that the osus became who they are today by different circumstances, to be continued,

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:50am On Feb 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

Marry Osu at your own peril.

Towns and communities that still practice it should abolish it. It's wicked!

As for me, it's not practised in my town or towns close to me and I won't go all the way to a town that still practise it to marry. Never! I wouldn't want to be treated like crap by my in-laws.
Explain the inlaw part,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by nedu210(m): 8:51am On Feb 15, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Eduga,you got me very wrong on that one. Infact I have in full knowledge the origin of osu and its growth to what it is today,  I will give you a sneak peek into the origin of umu-osu ; In the early times its very common to use humans for sacrifices for all sorts of reasons; one of them is that if you commit an abomination in the land you will be killed but after sometimes villagers stop killing these ppl but rather banish them into the evil forest where they live in isolationfrom the rest of the town eve though the land belongs to the prosecutors. Another is that villagers used to sacrifice humans to the oracle for apeasement,sacrifices for good harvest or even use them to bury the EZE ANI(like Eze Nri) but after sometime for reasons unknown to me the cold blooded sacrifices stopped but the ritual took another dimension; Now they wont be killed but sacrificed and banish into the evil forest with the rest of the rejected. Even there were non-osus who out of rebellion ran into a particular forest by eke Umuoji which a non-osu isnt suppose to set foot into,and you will forever remain an osu if you dare set your foot into that forest!! Even my mother nearly made a music out of it just to remind me not to near that forest. My point is that the osus became who they are today by different circumstances, to be continued,

U still do not have any knowledge of wat osu is. Do u knw that odinani do not regard/accept any body as osu? Do u knw dat there is a remedy to the osu problem? Broda if u truly derver dat name Nri priest u should know more about osu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by redsquare(m): 9:33am On Feb 15, 2012
An Osu person is supposed to be an outcast. WTF! Are they not humans? Is it not the sae blood that flows through their veins? We discriminate against other humans, yet we all claim to be christians. For Petes sake, this is 2012! When i was much younger, i thought Osu's were aliens/monsters with horns and tails! Never knew they were humans. Bikonu, anyi bu ndi igbo na eji aka anyi ebutelu onwe anyi nkpali (always washing our dirty linen in public), oo ife nine a na eme ndi Yoruba na eji akpali anyi na NL. Onye mepelu thread a (Afam4ever), gini bu ebum na obi gi? Ugbolo one ka ifugoolu ndi Yoruba ka fa mepelu thread na akoto ndi be fa? O jokwalu njo. Tommorrow we'd be playing the victims card when insulted by others!
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ifyalways(f): 10:49am On Feb 15, 2012
Afam is a trouble maker and someone who derieves joy from unecccessary arguments.FULLSTOP.

@Afam,who is an Osu in this 2012?
   Afam where in recent times did you see anyone reject anyone for marriage or business cos s/he is an Osu?
   Afam,have you seen an osu before?
   Afam have you heard anyone call anyone Osu in recent times?

Onye teta ura,o meghe onu ako ihe n'abaghi uru.shior

ChinenyeN:

What's funny is that there is even nothing to talk about, concerning this Osu topic. People are raising dust for no reason.
Bless you.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 11:55am On Feb 15, 2012
ChinenyeN:

You can't just answer the question? Does the below not apply to you also? Let's hear from you too.

I won't go about looking for an OSU person to marry but if i happen to met one and i love the person then why not.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Kizilala: 1:15pm On Feb 15, 2012
I will knowingly and unknowingly marry an osu.Apart from that,i am from Nri and in my place, we "cleanse" osu.We should be ashamed of ourselves that we still dabble in things like this.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by tjadeba(m): 1:20pm On Feb 15, 2012
This osu thing,i have always wanted to know what it is all about since i was secondary school.could my igbo brothers please enlighten me on what it is?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ak47mann(m): 1:26pm On Feb 15, 2012
Osu is still there in igboland but cant figure out the reason while they still practice it but i believe is getting out dated,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by chmod777: 1:28pm On Feb 15, 2012
Honestly speaking, I only hear about OSU. I have never seen one, a family or a kindred that are the so called OSU. I am from Imo, grew up in Imo but please I really need to know where the OSUs are. In my local community and  her neighbors, I never saw or knew any. Many people have married  since I became adult but yet it was never a point of decision for the union,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by lovejo(m): 1:33pm On Feb 15, 2012
OSU = olabisi onanbanjo university students and alumni. grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Afam4eva(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2012
I heard that people from Arondizogu in Imo state are OSU. Who knows about this?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by bisiaet: 1:37pm On Feb 15, 2012
@ INRI PRIEST.

My brother the matter is mind boggling!! We have osus in my town but my family never discriminated against them even though most ppl do! My mother always told me to remember that all human being are all equall in the eyes of GOD!! Our farmland is close to their ALUSI which is closer to their village and we always go to their house to get cold water during farming season and I can confidently tell you that we are probally the only family amongst my own village that will receive food from them!! Most ppl from my town dont even like to buy broom from them talk more of receiving food! To be continued. . .

God will bless you so muchhhh. I never knew an Ibo origin of your type still living.

Even my own family some chose to dislike me just because I have a guy from OSU as a friend everytime I keep telling them these people are human like us it does not matter what is the history behind their origin let show these people love, let accept them and mix with them I dont see anything that make us better than them to be frank, These people are our brothers but whenever I say this its always a war with me but all I know is am not God[/b]that created them nor [b]Hater and I have no reason to hate my fellow human just because history say this and that century ago.  I dont see any reason why an Ibo person can not marry them but its so unfortunate the trend on this issue has gone too far and deeper that the hate and the decrimination is so glaring and so obvious is so sad.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by POTUT(m): 1:43pm On Feb 15, 2012
I hail from Imo. When I was a young boy, and observed the apprehension this Osu thing caused, I ventured to ask. I was told by my parents that they were the descendants of people used for sacrifice in the days past. I asked the following questions, but got no answers.

1. How did people come to be used as sacrifice to the so called gods? Did they volunteer or were they forced, or perhaps bought as slaves?
2. Having accepted christianity entirely, does partaking in Holy communion in the church not reunite us all. We drink from the same cup wiped with a thin film of tissue!
3. We all run to pastors today to unbind us from generational and grandparental curses. Do those curses include whatever our forbears were cursed with by being sacrificed to the gods?
4. Offsprings of a so-called Osu family may live all their lives righteously, worthy of emulation. Do we as sane human beings sincerely insist that there is no remedy, while believing that Jesus Christ wiped away all our sins with his blood?

Okay, let us just say all Ibos who discriminate against so-labeled Osu's are hypocrites.

I am married to a so-called Diala. Had she been osu, perhaps the damn-all-consequences side of me would have been unleashed by now.  

I have Osu friends, I eat in their houses and they eat in mine. They are christians just like any christian working hard at it and until people whispered in my ears, I found nothing, saw nothing and thought nothing of it. Good thing is, it never even remotely affected our relationship.

Discrimination against Osus is hypocritical. Let us all stop it now!

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by sugar001(f): 1:44pm On Feb 15, 2012
Igbo and noise, Kai* When will you peeps ever stop?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by rasqman: 1:48pm On Feb 15, 2012
It's crazy.
This Osu thing in Igboland is so serious that they even discriminate against Osus in the houses of God.
Most catholics in the east don't allow Osu priest to give them Holy communion, it's that bad.
I believe we are all equal in the eyes of God, so there is no point in segregating against some group of people just becos of the sins of their founding fathers.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2012
afam4eva:

I won't go about looking for an OSU person to marry but if i happen to met one and i love the person then why not.
And how will you know when you have met one? Mind you, most Osu don't even know that they are Osu. So how much more you, who has probably only read about "something called Osu", but has yet to even witness the institution?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? / Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.