Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,898 members, 7,828,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? (22572 Views)

Speaking Right In A Wrong World / Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! / What Decision You Made That Made Or Marred Your Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by RoyalPearl(f): 6:03pm On Apr 20, 2022
I would take the shopping mall manager position. Its a bigger role and most likely will give you bigger pay. You can network and meet all types of people and save up to start your own business. The job security there also seems more promising.

I would have said go for the second job if you are working directly for NIS. You are just assisting with passport booklets and even though you will be working in NIS office you may even be too far to interact with people. Any benefits or connections will most likely be in favour of actual NIS employees. Do you have anything that stands out in you such as skills or your personality that may attract people and relevant connections your way? If you were an attractive woman(unfortunately as sad as it is to say) then you would have an advantage but i honestly don't really see the advantage you will get in this position. If you had some business or something that you could market or get connections then fine. I am not sure how it works in Nigeria but wrt government contracts there should be rotation. One supplier cant supplier passports for the next 15 years for example. Every time new bidders come and they are supposed to evaluate them on a nuetral basis. What if you only get to work for a short time.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by purejustice36: 6:04pm On Apr 20, 2022
Asking such a question like this makes me wonder if you’re truly a school teacher

Suffer no dey tire una for this country?

These kinda opportunities are what millions of Nigerians seek daily
Some even go to night vigils

Both opportunities presented to you are life changing
But I would definitely choose the immigration job without thinking twice
If you love yourself go for the immigration job or you’ll regret it for life

When you enter the field that’s when you’ll realize how you’ve made the biggest choice ever
Good day

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by bwealth0031(m): 6:05pm On Apr 20, 2022
Toor
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by princeakinola1(m): 6:24pm On Apr 20, 2022
To say the fact and reality,if you want money then check the both salary with your present salary and go for better one,but if you want cool and settled mind and if your teaching job is government own please hold it very well, you may get back at anytime in one man business no as private sector,so reason well and let God show you the right part, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Glowqueen3(f): 6:24pm On Apr 20, 2022
My brother, am a teacher too and if l am given this opportunity, l wouldn't think twice before l would dump the teaching job asap because teaching job comes with a lot of disadvantages you won't be paid salary on time and you will not be financially capable like some of your mates doing other jobs.

Moreover it better you take any one of the two options given to you because in my own opinion, it is far better than any teaching job whether government owned or private,it will give you the opportunities you can't get in the four walls of a school.lnfact you can work in any of of the job offer you got and later start your own school.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Mytoto(m): 6:28pm On Apr 20, 2022
It all depends on how much you earn as a school teacher and I wouldn't want to ask if you love being a teacher.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Id6019: 7:04pm On Apr 20, 2022
To begin;

1. How much of trust do you have in this person bringing these offers your way?

2. Are you sure you are not been arranged for a job on which you will later be turned to a puppet/controlled to obliged to do certain untoward things?

3. What is your mind telling you?

Just ponder on the above. Good luck!
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by ewa20buredi100: 7:11pm On Apr 20, 2022
YourOrakle:
Mr man,
How do you expect a reasonable advice here when you didn't give these mportant informations.

How much is your current salary,
How much is the salary of the two organizations?

Are you teaching with the government or Private?

For how long have you been teaching?

How old are you?

Only when we know this can u get something reasonable here

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't told the salary package, as I was unable to ask so that I won't seem ungrateful.

My current salary is under 40,000.
I teach in a private school

I have been teaching for almost 10years.

I am in my 30s....aporoaching mid-thirties.

Thank you.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by frozen70(f): 7:19pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,
I have been a Chemistry and Mathematics teacher for years now.

Then I met a friend who is a retired Government officer. He took interest in my kind of person and promised to link me up to opportunities that are better than teaching.

He called me yesterday and I went to see him. He presented two job opportunities before me;
1. A shopping mall manager (at Ring road in Benin city)
OR
2. As an assistant manager with a Private firm that supplies passport booklets to Immigration officers. I will be working directly from NIS Headquarter.

He gave me a week to make up my mind and choose an option

Please my questions are;
1. Will it be wise to dump years of teaching for these new opportunities?

2. Are the opportunities viable and worth the transition?
Which of the two options should I go for if I were to choose?
And what benefits does one stand to gain?

Thank you
I will appreciate if you go for the second offer

The organisation handling that is called IRIS you will make it if you are not deprate but you must be discipline with the discharge of your duty as its all about engineering and data storage which you must do with trust because it's a security network thing

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Mekharay007(m): 7:26pm On Apr 20, 2022
Avoid the mall manager job because you have no experience in it .

So that you don't plunge the mall into untimely death.

Try job num 2, you can actually learn on the job .

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Elaric(m): 8:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
If you are teaching in a govt sch, pls stay put there.
I think the Immigration related would give you more exposure to greater heights.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Exodora: 8:29pm On Apr 20, 2022
Lordbinsmar:
Just quit the private school job angry It is a modern day slavery.
You are right, turned down teaching offer of 50k because according to them they will offer me accommodation and I can't leave the school premises without the concent of the proprietor even after school hour.
The problems in Nigeria is enough to make one go mad talk more of adding more to it.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Lordbinsmar: 8:53pm On Apr 20, 2022
Exodora:

You are right, turned down teaching offer of 50k because according to them they will offer me accommodation and I can't leave the school premises without the concent of the proprietor even after school hour.
The problems in Nigeria is enough to make one go mad talk more of adding more to it.

You made the best decision Bro. I prefer to work as a tutor in jamb and A-level centers or better still as a private tutor than work as a full time teacher in private school. The worst I can do is to work part time.

I can't waste my youthful phase of life building another man's dream.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by zubinike(m): 9:18pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

Then I met a friend who is a retired Government officer. He took interest in my kind of person and promised to link me up to opportunities that are better than teaching.

He called me yesterday and I went to see him. He presented two job opportunities before me;
OR
2. As an assistant manager with a Private firm that supplies passport booklets to Immigration officers. I will be working directly from NIS Headquarter.

Please my questions are;

Thank you

- the decision still lies in your hands.
Are you comfortable with teaching? If no, what are your goals and how do you want to achieve that goals in life. Equate this, with the whole opportunity you have got in front of you.

This should give you the focal point of your answer.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Mom007(f): 10:00pm On Apr 20, 2022
One can tell you love your teaching job by your reluctance to jump on the new offers... You wear the shoes bro... You know where it pinches. In any case, schools are on holidays. Pick one of them on a one month trial bases and if at the end of the month, you still aren't feeling it, return to your teaching job in peace, no harm no foul.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by slinkygomez(m): 10:35pm On Apr 20, 2022
Bros abeg you fit give me link to any of the afore mentioned jobs cos I Dey Benin like dis
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Hartugrin27(m): 11:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
Sharonnyl:
I think the first question you should ask yourself is " why do I want a new job?"

Is it because of money?

Or just to get a whole new experience (people do this). Especially since you said you've been teaching for a while.

Do you want the job because of the prestige that comes with it?

If you can sincerely ask yourself why you want the new job, your answer will pop up. Nobody will bear the consequences for you or enjoy the benefits with you. So it's your decision to make. You can only be guided

Babe, sense full your brain
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Exodora: 3:45am On Apr 21, 2022
Xs
Lordbinsmar:

You made the best decision Bro. I prefer to work as a tutor in jamb and A-level centers or better still as a private tutor than work as a full time teacher in private school. The worst I can do is to work part time.

Exactly.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Aguogba(m): 8:51am On Apr 21, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

OR

Please my questions are;

Thank you
The company that works with immigration is a capital NO if I am to advise. Anything that is contractual with Nigerian government is as unstable as they come. 2023 is by the corner and another government will come and cancel that arrangement, then where will you be? That said, it's left for you to choose between your present job and the shopping mall job.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by caesymore(m): 3:13pm On Apr 22, 2022
Sharonnyl:
I think the first question you should ask yourself is " why do I want a new job?"

Is it because of money?

Or just to get a whole new experience (people do this). Especially since you said you've been teaching for a while.

Do you want the job because of the prestige that comes with it?

If you can sincerely ask yourself why you want the new job, your answer will pop up. Nobody will bear the consequences for you or enjoy the benefits with you. So it's your decision to make. You can only be guided

Liked comment, come check Moniker as e look new ,e come be say e never reach one week. Welcome Baby girl, unless na old user wey done cast en moniker finish come open another, otherwise bigups and continue with the reasonable comments only few get sense for 9ja.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Lashist(m): 8:11pm On Apr 28, 2022
Lordbinsmar:

Lmao...this is you here wasting your useless youthful phase trolling ppl 24/7. Oboy, you have wasted your days already. What's left of you is to choose one corrupt politician to start bragging for on NL cheesy. Useless youth bragging when you have nothing upstairs.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Lordbinsmar: 9:20pm On Apr 28, 2022
[s][/s]
Lashist:

Lmao...this is you here wasting your useless youthful phase trolling ppl 24/7. Oboy, you have wasted your days already. What's left of you is to choose one corrupt politician to start bragging for on NL cheesy. Useless youth bragging when you have nothing upstairs.
[s][/s]

Bastard flat head, read through my comments very well, I have more than 3 fully funded schorlarships to study outside Nigeria.

I teach out of passion, hundreds of my students are in different universities in Nigeria chasing their dreams, I have impacted their lifes. Latest by August I'm out of Nigeria chasing my dreams Sir werey. grin

Flat head bastard naa for inside poverty you go die, just like your flat headed ancestors grin

You better pm make I teach you how you can win fully funded schorlarship in other to change your miserable life. Useless nonentity. Failure flat head.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Lashist(m): 11:57pm On Apr 28, 2022
Lordbinsmar:
[/s][s]

Bastard flat head, read through my comments very well, I have more than 3 fully funded schorlarships to study outside Nigeria.

I teach out of passion, hundreds of my students are in different universities in Nigeria chasing their dreams, I have impacted their lifes. Latest by August I'm out of Nigeria chasing my dreams Sir werey. grin

Flat head bastard naa for inside poverty you go die, just like your flat headed ancestors grin

You better pm make I teach you how you can win fully funded schorlarship in other to change your miserable life. Useless nonentity. Failure flat head.
Lmao

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Skill Can I Learn With N20,000 / My Job Is Ruining My Family / NNPC Sacked 850 Refinery Workers - NUPENG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.