Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,665 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference (6718 Views)

Lamido Sanusi, Ganduje At Global Islamic Summit In Dubai....photos / Amaechi Shines At A Cowboy Dinner In Lagos (photos) / Senator Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan (Governorship Candidate) Shines At APC Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 08, 2011
This man is not infallible, but the earlier we expunge the belief that he is a mediocre because he has no Harvard degree, the better. I'll continue to promote my role model.

http://www.proshareng.com/articles/2264

That's an attendee's account.
My man was the only speaker to receive standing ovation in a 4-day global conference of of international finance experts.

Yet some people will come here to dismiss this as 'wetin Sudan-trained aboki sabi?'
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 08, 2011
Thanks, Sanusi, for doing Nigeria proud at global stage
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by hercules07: 8:40am On Jul 08, 2011
People are blinded by religious bigotry, I used to think that Christians were above the my religion is better than yours, Nairaland has sadly changed that belief, some people can not stand muslims or people of other faiths excelling in their chosen field, Okonjo Iweala is lauded for debt relief (something I do not support, she only made sure her employers were paid) while the planning guy who played a major role was not even acknowledged, remember that the southern press is Christian dominated so some of the news we get to hear are slanted.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by seanet02: 9:07am On Jul 08, 2011
The guy is a freaking shyt, i have always respected him for his islamic views but i can detect he is now pursueing a northern agenda. First he declared that people should not bed able to withdraw more than 150k when he knows clearly that majority of his Northern kinsmen don't engage in business that involves such capital unlike the Yorubas, i know Jarus will always aligned with anything hausa because he is brainwashed from birth. Bunch of Re-tardos.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 08, 2011
Sanusi showcases Nigeria to Global Investment Professionals at the 64th CFA Institute Annual Conference in Edinburgh  

May 25, 2011
By Ayoleke Adu, CFA; Banji Fehintola, CFA & Michael Anyimah, CFA

The 64th CFA Institute Annual Conference recently held between 8 – 11 May 2011 at the beautiful Scottish capital city of Edinburgh. The CFA Annual Conference is reputed to be the largest melting point for global investment professionals, especially those that hold the prestigious CFA designation awarded by the CFA Institute. The conference speakers are usually carefully selected and include some of the world’s most reputable thought leaders, scholars, book writers, journalists, economists, regulators and finance experts. With the Speakers usually drawn from developed economies, Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi of the Central bank of Nigeria was given the honour of being the only African regulator to speak at the conference this year. It was a unique opportunity for Nigeria and indeed Africa to showcase one of its own at a global stage. For Nigeria in particular, it was an opportunity for the CBN Governor to put the country, which many conference attendees knew very little about, on the global map. More importantly, it was an opportunity for Governor Sanusi to correct many misconceptions that the global investment community has about Nigeria. This was certainly an opportunity that Governor Sanusi seized wholeheartedly and indeed Nigeria can be proud of how one of its own was able to change the mind of close to a thousand investment professionals in a speech that lasted less than an hour.

Not many people would have been able to retain their composure following the way the moderator introduced Governor Sanusi. The moderator started by stating the obvious fact that not many people in the audience knew so much about Nigeria apart from regrettably the wide spread cases of internet fraud. With this daunting introduction of Nigeria, Governor Sanusi was given the platform to speak to an international gathering of world leading investment bankers, investors, and policy makers about the recent regulatory reforms in the Nigerian banking industry, how Nigeria is curbing fraud in the banking system and the country at large and the lessons that the world could learn from the Nigeria’s experience. The expectation was very high as the world, represented by the nationalities of the various conference attendees, waited to hear what Governor Sanusi had to say. Perhaps some skeptics might have doubted if anything good could come out of Africa, and were just waiting to confirm that opinion. For the four Nigerian CFA Charterholders in attendance at the conference, our feeling was also that of anxiety as we did not know what to expect.

Once Governor Sanusi mounted the podium, he started his speech by joking about how his staff religiously prepare speeches and presentations every time he had a speaking engagement and how he had informed them that it is his prerogative to decide whether to use the speeches or not, and that this time, he had chosen to speak without using prepared speech. The audience had a good laugh and settled in for what turned out in the opinion of many, to be the best hour of the conference. Through a very interesting narration, Governor Sanusi without looking at any notes, took the audience through the various regulatory reforms that the Nigerian banking sector had witnessed in the last two years. The speech was jovial and incisive, with Governor Sanusi holding the audience spell-bound while also passing on the crucial message that Nigeria is not about the negatives that people read about in the media. Admittedly, the country faces all the challenges of many resource-rich developing economies saddled with the classic Dutch disease that makes the economy to be highly dependent on oil exports and revenues to the detriment of other sectors of the economy, nevertheless, the CBN Governor’s emphasis on the efforts that the government has been making in curbing fraud in various facets of life in the country in no small means went a long way in correcting the mindset of many people in the audience. Using the banking sector as a reference point, the CBN Governor took the audience through the roles that the CBN and the various governmental and law enforcement agencies have played in ensuring that people who are saddled with the obligation of running financial institutions and have fallen short of that moral trust are tried through the legal process in the country. For global investors that doubted if the court systems in Nigeria work, the fact that a conviction of one of the Chief Executives of one of the rescued banks while some are still at various stages of going through the court process was cited to emphasize the strides that Nigeria has taken in the last few years.

The Governor also shared Nigeria’s experience in bailing out troubled financial institutions with the central bank injecting about US$4.1 billion into the rescued banks in the form of Tier 2 Capital and reaffirming the guarantee of the local interbank market to ensure adequate liquidity for all banks in the system, all in a bid to curb a systemic collapse and contagion that was imminent if nothing was done. Governor Sanusi shared his belief that regulators around the world should not allow banks to fail in order to avoid systemic crisis but after a bank is bailed out, he opined that the executives that mismanaged the bank must not be allowed to continue running the bank. Someone has to pay the price for the failure. Sharing the Nigerian experience, he also condemned in strong terms the notion of bankers wanting to privatize profits while socializing losses, advocating that the cost of bank bailouts should be borne by the banks and not the tax payers. The fact that this idea was welcomed with a thunderous applause across the conference hall suggested that Governor Sanusi’s position resonated well with majority of the audience who are predominantly from the United State and Europe where the debate about bank bonuses and who should bears the burden of bank bailouts between “Wall Street” (the bankers) and “Main Street” (the taxpayer) lingers on.

On other issues, Governor Sanusi informed the audience of the current regulatory reforms in the Nigerian banking industry that are all geared towards making the industry operate at world class standards. Specifically, policy measures and initiatives to promote the safety, soundness and stability of the financial system include the landmark establishment of the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) as part of a broad resolution strategy aimed at addressing the problem of non-performing loans in the Nigerian banking industry, enforcement of the Code of Corporate Governance for Banks in Nigeria (which affects both the bankers as well as the regulators), introduction and implementation of risk-based and cross-border supervision and a move towards the implementation of the New Capital Accord (Basel II), adoption of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) by all Nigerian banks in 2012, reversal of the universal banking model and the introduction of a banking model aimed at making banks focus on their core banking business hence promoting functional specializations and preventing depositor’s money being used for proprietary risk taking and non-banking activities. While the world is still debating which direction to follow on restricting banks to their core-banking function, it appears that Nigeria is ahead of the curve having rolled out and implemented a policy on this. Other points raised by the Governor include the enforcement of the Know-Your-Customer (KYC) directive, comprehensive review of the “Fit and Proper Persons” rule, introduction of tenure limit of 10 years for external auditors of banks and issuance, in conjunction with SEC and other agencies, of the Margin Lending Guidelines, which places a limit on a bank’s capital market exposure to a percentage of the bank’s balance sheet.

At the end of his speech, the CBN Governor was given a standing ovation (the only Speaker during the 4 days conference to be accorded that honour) as he walked from the podium to take his seat to answer the multitudes of questions that the delighted audience had. It was evident from the responses after the speech that the CBN Governor had just written Nigeria’s name in gold in the minds of a global audience. While we admit that the country may have its challenges, it is obvious that steps are being taken to right the missteps that the country had taken in years past. While Governor Sanusi’s speech was inspirational, his responses during the question and answer session revealed the jovial nature of the man. The most interesting question that came from many people in the audience to Governor Sanusi was, “Can you please take over the leadership of the Fed (the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States)?” In the usual nature of central bankers who hardly give anything away, Governor Sanusi’s answer to the question was a big smile. It is doubtful that even if offered, the CBN Governor will take Ben Bernanke’s job at this stage of the United State’s economic history. So, Mr. Bernanke has nothing to worry about! Moreover, Nigeria still needs Governor Sanusi. The Nigerian CFA Charterholders at the conference were extremely proud to be Nigerians after Governor Sanusi showed to the world, the very best part of Nigeria that the global media often refuses to showcase. Certainly, never again will those that listened to his speech ever think that Nigeria is only a country of “internet fraudsters”. We feel that more Nigerians of his quality and courage should be appointed into strategic offices to bring about the transformation needed in the country.

1 Like

Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by texazzpete(m): 9:21am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

The guy is a freaking shyt, i have always respected him for his islamic views but i can detect he is now pursueing a northern agenda. First he declared that people should not bed able to withdraw more than 150k when he knows clearly that majority of his Northern kinsmen don't engage in business that involves such capital unlike the Yorubas, i know Jarus will always aligned with anything hausa because he is brainwashed from birth. Bunch of Re-tardos.

He's trying to turn Nigeria into a cashless society. Okonjo Iweala even lent her support for this effort. The steep learning curve is an obvious disadvantage but to claim it is a tribal or ethnic agenda is rather brainless!
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by jmaine: 9:39am On Jul 08, 2011
^^ Transition to a cashless economy should be in a graded manner to cushion all shock that may emanate from such move . . but his gungho approach would only cause unnecessary anguish and serious side effects that has being discussed extensively already on this land . . Do we even have the infrastructures in place yet to make the transition smooth and secured if we are to take into cognizance the recent cyber breaches developed nations are being faced in an increasing fashion . .  . . We don't need to plunge into something we know we haven't addressed the glaring and deleterious cons yet . . . as for the Non - interest banking or the sharia banking brouhaha, i don't like getting involved in ethno-religious debates . .it's always get very messy with adamant debaters standing their grounds no matter how badly they fare . . .
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by ektbear: 9:48am On Jul 08, 2011
I'd rather see video evidence so I can judge for myself rather than taking the word of authors who may or may not have a vested interest.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by seanet02: 9:52am On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

He's trying to turn Nigeria into a cashless society. Okonjo Iweala even lent her support for this effort. The steep learning curve is an obvious disadvantage but to claim it is a tribal or ethnic agenda is rather brainless!

How is that brainless? You are better than this, at least you know what it takes to have a cashless society? The infrastructural needs, IT and all the stuffs? Common.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Gbawe: 10:23am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

Seanet, as a bright guy, why not try and look at what Sanusi is doing with some objectivity? As Texazzpete said , Sanusi is simply trying to make Nigeria a cashless society through discouraging the uneccessary use of cash while simultaneously promoting , in the place of cash, the uses of credit card, internet/telephone banking ,cashless transfers of funds et al . The attendant benefits of reduced money laudering, securing greater e-commerce and promoting attitudinal change , i.e not carrying large amount of cash around, (thus reducing crime) are laudable targets.

The onus is on us who are exposed to explain issues better while refraining from pandering to the type of unacceptable ignorance that leads some to view Sanusi with prejudice. No doubt some will never respect him because they think "abokis should be selling suya" and not running the CBN. Only their kinsman is "gifted" enought to run the CBN.

In the UK , for example, I don't remember the last time I used cash for my shopping at a supermarket.

All my mortgages are paid by direct debit. I also have tenants who do not come to me every month with cash. Instead, they pay me via direct debit.

I handle large transactions by direct transfer prompt through internet banking services. Why go to the bank to withdraw £3,000.00 and then still face travelling to deliver the money to the recipient when, with the click of a mouse, I can transfer the same amount to the account of the recipient online and without leaving my house?

As a busy person, I cannot visit all the shops I like physically. Instead I shop online at the respective websites of the retailers I patronise. There is nothing I don't buy online from fridge-freezers to sofa suite.

A cousin in Nigeria saw a left hand drive vehicle on a UK website he liked. He called me. I called the AA (UK breakdown service) paid for an inspection of the vehicle via credit card. I then paid the car dealer via bank transfer. I used my credit card to pay a recovery company to tow vehicle from place of pick up to Tilbury port for onward shippment to Nigeria. Needless to say that I paid the shipper via transfer and documents (Bill of laden , cargo tracking number et al) were delivered to me at home !! Today my cousin is enjoying his car. Do you not wan't Nigeria ,ASAP, to move towards such models that enables Nigerians to enjoy cashless and relatively hassle-free transactions?

Some of us should also note that the limit set is not rigid. You can deposit more or withdraw more if you pay a fee for doing so. Naturally, different rules will apply to businesses, retailers and traders who have a history of withdrawing/depositing more than N150,000 daily.

If only around 8% of Nigerians withdraw above the N150,000 daily what is all this noise about considering that even that small percentage can still continue to withdraw above the set limit if they are willing to pay a fee for doing so? Is it not better for 8% of those who use banking services to pay a fee or fall in with the regime of personal withdrawal and deposit to assist Nigeria move towards a cashless society with the huge attendant benefit the whole Country stands to gain from that?  As for "Islamic banking", essentialy non-profit banking, the less said about that the better. It is disgraceful that some object to greater choice because "Islamic" is attached to Banking. As if anyone can force an adult to bank with an Islamic bank if they do not want to. There are Islamic banks in the UK and no one has ever held a knife to my throat in trying to force me to bank with any of them.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/22492-weve-not-set-limit-on-lodgment-withdrawal-cbn

We’ve not set limit on lodgment, withdrawal –CBN
| Print | E-mail
Written by Gbola Subair and Adekunle Tayo
Wednesday, 25 May 2011

THE governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, has clarified the controversy over the recent policy on lodgment and withdrawal expected to commence in June 2012.

Mallam Sanusi disclosed this on Tuesday shortly after the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting held in Abuja.

The CBN governor, speaking on the bank’s recent policy on cash lodgement and withdrawal, disclosed that the policy, which is expected to commence in June 2012, had come to stay.

Stating that the CBN had not put a limit on the amount of money a customer can withdraw or lodge in a bank, Mallam Sanusi said what the policy said was that there would be a cost to the customer who lodges or withdraw more than the specified limit in a day.

Besides this, Mallam Sanusi said the N150,000 withdrawal or saving limit was just a working document, saying that Nigerians had up to 12 months to discuss it and arrive at a reasonable cash limit.

Sanusi, disclosing that only eight per cent of bank customers withdraw more than N150,000 daily, said he could not understand the furore generated by the policy when such people made use of credit card, internet and telephone banking when they were abroad.

The apex bank governor, who said the CBN spent N200 billion to print and  burn old naira notes, as the case may be on annual basis, said the new cash withdrawal policy would make the Nigerian economy a cashless one and eliminate money laundering, as much as possible
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Akanbiedu(m): 10:28am On Jul 08, 2011
Sanusi's intelligence is not in doubt. It's tribalism+religious bigotry that is killing most of his critics.

1 Like

Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Akanbiedu(m): 10:30am On Jul 08, 2011
Seanet is a rabid north's hater. He hates the north, he hates the Igbo. With so much hate, it's not possible to think straight.

1 Like

Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by seanet02: 10:33am On Jul 08, 2011
Gbawe how do you explain this to market women in the south west? The issue of a cashless society is welcomed, i don't go to bank nowadays as i send money through my G.T Internet banking platform with ease unless i need cash but am talking of the literacy level and the infrastructural needs of this ambition. We are not ripe for it you will see. Even ATM we can not managed efficiently. Okay
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by seanet02: 10:40am On Jul 08, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Seanet is a rabid north's hater. He hates the north, he hates the Igbo. With so much hate, it's not possible to think straight.
Too bad o, that is not me o. I did not hate the north i swear! Though cant say so about ibos. Why did i support what he did to the bank CEO's if i hate the north? What i hate about the North is hypocrisy? Lots of their hypocrisy like banning the sale of beers and yet insisting on their right to collect part of the VAT it generates.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Gbawe: 10:41am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

Gbawe how do you explain this to market women in the south west? The issue of a cashless society is welcomed, i don't go to bank nowadays as i send money through my G.T Internet banking platform with ease unless i need cash but am talking of the literacy level and the infrastructural needs of this ambition. We are not ripe for it you will see. Even ATM we can not managed efficiently. Okay

I hear you but we must begin from somewhere. We won't get anywhere if we always pander to illiteracy while saying we want to be developed. The development of a Nation is directly attached to the development of its people. I think emphasis can be placed on explaining banking products better so that even "market women"can use other services that move them away from total reliance on cash. With telephone banking , for example, each customer can get direct access numbers that puts them through to a bank staff that will assist them in their own language of profficiency. As a developing Nation, we must embrace innovation, efficient trouble-shooting and proactive solutions provision. We must not lag behind the world too much because it then becomes extremely difficult to catch/keep up. This puts as at a serious disadvantage as per relative competitiveness.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by ektbear: 10:47am On Jul 08, 2011
The idea of a cashless economy is fine, Sanusi's specific implementation of it is not. As Okonjo-Iweala has already alluded to.

@Akanbi_edu: There is nothing wrong with distrusting the north. It isn't as if they have a track record of good governance and good leadership when in power.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by maclatunji: 10:58am On Jul 08, 2011
If you love Nigeria and are in Sanusi's position with all the information he has at his disposal, you would do more than he his doing now without caring about the rants of majority of the population who remain ignorant and will probably remain so for a long time to come.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Gbawe: 11:07am On Jul 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

The idea of a cashless economy is fine, Sanusi's specific implementation of it is not. As Okonjo-Iweala has already alluded to.
@Akanbi_edu: There is nothing wrong with distrusting the north. It isn't as if they have a track record of good governance and good leadership when in power.

Only 8% of Nigerians who use banks withdraw more than N150,000 daily and even then they are still provided with the option of paying a fee to withdraw more  than N150,000 if they wish . Pray tell us what is wrong with this approach when even in the most advanced societies fees and fines are used to subtly cajole the populace towards a policy drive they would naturally resist? Ask any Briton about the congestion charge that was used to decongest the horrendous traffic that used to bring central London to a halt.

Did Ghana not redinominate her currency successfully circa 2007? When Soludo wanted to do same in Nigeria many screamed that we "were not ready", "Market women will be confused" and all manners of redundant excuses pandering to nothing but gradualism for a nation that needs to develop fast. Ghanaians have forgotten that they even redinominated while we contine to pontificate !!

As for Okonjo Iweala's , while I rate her , I don't fall into the category of those who deify everything that comes out of her mouth as if it is gospel truth. What she said at her senatorial screening may have impressed some but she has essentially not said anything revolutionary , particular brilliant or innovative. There is nothing she mentioned we have not dealt with at lenght , and in far greater detail, here on NL. I will therefore inspect her utterances for logic and feasibility rather than hold it as some gold standard to use in judging other.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Akanbiedu(m): 11:08am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

Gbawe how do you explain this to market women in the south west? The issue of a cashless society is welcomed, i don't go to bank nowadays as i send money through my G.T Internet banking platform with ease unless i need cash but am[b] talking of the literacy level and the infrastructural needs of this ambition. We are not ripe for it you will see. Even ATM we can not managed efficiently. Okay  [/b]

These lines are quite similar to the ones I heard when Soludo brought recapitalization. A lot of people said we were not ripe for it too. One thing I know, if people don't find themselves in these kind of situations, we will not progress. If Sanusi does not bring this idea, do you seriously think people will embrace POS on a wide scale? Sometimes people need to be pushed. We can't wait for the market women and the likes forever. It is either we bring them up or they pull us down.

Think about the IT infrastructural development this one policy can bring, think about the resultant employment this could generate. I am sure you know a lot of people were employed to install and maintain those ATM machines. A lot of money was spent in providing internet services for connectivity of those ATMs, it is around this period that banks started operating real time where you can go to any branch to deposit and withdraw money. Also think about what we will be saving in terms of printing money and burning money.

Ultimately think about the politicians, this is capable of reducing their money laundering activities.

1 Like

Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by Akanbiedu(m): 11:15am On Jul 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

True dat.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by ektbear: 11:49am On Jul 08, 2011
Gbawe:

Only 8% of Nigerians who use banks withdraw more than N150,000 daily and even then they are still provided with the option of paying a fee to withdraw more  than N150,000 if they wish .
What percentage deposit more than 150K daily? The withdrawal limit isn't my concern so much as the deposit limit.

Pray tell us what is wrong with this approach when even in the most advanced societies fees and fines are used to subtly cajole the populace towards a policy drive they would naturally resist?
Where else in the world are there fees for depositing money in the bank?

Ask any Briton about the congestion charge that was used to decongest the horrendous traffic that used to bring central London to a halt.
I don't think this analogy is necessarily the right one. In any case, the point is that while the goal might be laudable (cashless economy), his specific approach for doing it might not be wise.

Did Ghana not redinominate her currency successfully circa 2007? When Soludo wanted to do same in Nigeria many screamed that we "were not ready", "Market women will be confused" and all manners of redundant excuses pandering to nothing but gradualism for a nation that needs to develop fast. Ghanaians have forgotten that they even redinominated while we contine to pontificate !!
I'm not sure that this analogy is correct or even relevant? What is the connection between redenomination and cash limits?

As for Okonjo Iweala's , while I rate her , I don't fall into the category of those who deify everything that comes out of her mouth as if it is gospel truth. What she said at her senatorial screening may have impressed some but she has essentially not said anything revolutionary , particular brilliant or innovative. There is nothing she mentioned we have not dealt with at lenght , and in far greater detail, here on NL. I will therefore inspect her utterances for logic and feasibility rather than hold it as some gold standard to use in judging other.  
I know it may have seemed like appealing to authority, but I don't hold what she says as golden either. Just pointing out that it is not only laypersons like me questioning Sanusi's policies.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by seanet02: 11:51am On Jul 08, 2011
Am starting to see sense in what you guys are saying. This could herald in a great era for Yorubas in Particular considering our Ever Dynamism.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by texazzpete(m): 11:52am On Jul 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

Okonjo-Iweala did not 'allude to' anything. All she mentioned was the need to be careful in its implementation, how is that a condemnation of his methods?

As Sanusi has already said before, the 150k is not yet an agreed upon sum, its merely his first proposal. the exact penalty free limit will be decided, along with other modalities.

As with every major change, there are risks involved. But if we can save a large portion of that N200 billion spent annually on minting and destroying naira notes, we're making progress.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by texazzpete(m): 11:53am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

Am starting to see sense in what you guys are saying. This could herald in a great era for Yorubas in Particular considering our Ever Dynamism.

Lol! You this man sef grin
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by seanet02: 11:54am On Jul 08, 2011
But i have not seen where you are charged for depositing money o.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by ektbear: 12:01pm On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

Okonjo-Iweala did not 'allude to' anything. All she mentioned was the need to be careful in its implementation, how is that a condemnation of his methods?

As Sanusi has already said before, the 150k is not yet an agreed upon sum, its merely his first proposal. the exact penalty free limit will be decided, along with other modalities.

As with every major change, there are risks involved. But if we can save a large portion of that N200 billion spent annually on minting and destroying naira notes, we're making progress.

Former Minister of finance Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iwala yesterday disagreed with the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Mallam Lamido Sanusi over the proposed N150, 000 withdrawal limits for depositors even she opened up on why she quit the administration of former president Olusegun Obasanjo.

And here is the direct quote:

But Okonjo-Iwala at the senate yesterday said: " I would also be a little careful because it might have the opposite effect if you implement a minimum or a maximum withdraw, people will decide to keep money in their mattresses and not put them in the bank because they will think they will not be able to withdraw them. We have to go about it carefully, I like the objective as they said of moving towards a cashless society, but I think we should implement it with deliberation.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201107070913.html

If you have a transcript of what she said exactly, please post it. But it seems to me that while she likes the objective (cashless economy), she questions the specific implementation for bringing it about.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by ektbear: 12:04pm On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

But i have not seen where you are charged for depositing money o.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/cbn-imposes-limits-penalty-on-cash-transactions/

From June 2012, individuals that make [size=18pt]cash withdrawal or deposit[/size] above N150,000 would pay a fine of N100 per extra N1,000, while corporate organisations that make cash withdrawal or deposit above N1 million would pay fine of N200 per extra N1,000.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by ektbear: 12:07pm On Jul 08, 2011
So if you have a small shop where your average buyer spends say N1K in cash, and you get more than 150 customers a day, then you'll pay a fee to deposit your revenue.

Or I guess you register your shop as a corporation to get a better limit  undecided
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by seanet02: 12:12pm On Jul 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/cbn-imposes-limits-penalty-on-cash-transactions/

You got me wrong. What i meant was that i have never seen people being charged for depositing money anywhere in the world until Sanusi introduced this. Okay
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by maclatunji: 12:13pm On Jul 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

So if you have a small shop where your average buyer spends say N1K in cash, and you get more than 150 customers a day, then you'll pay a fee to deposit your revenue.

Or I guess you register your shop as a corporation to get a better limit  undecided

The idea is to collect your N1,000 electronically and transfer same electronically to your bank account. Big corporations are already making moves to take advantage of the policy, whilst the hoi poloi do what they do best- scream without reason.
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by ektbear: 12:17pm On Jul 08, 2011
maclatunji:

The idea is to collect your N1,000 electronically and transfer same electronically to your bank account. Big corporations are already making moves to take advantage of the policy, whilst the hoi poloi do what they do best- scream without reason.

So when you send your houseboy/girl to the market to buy food, that houseboy/housegirl is going to be the one buying the N1K electronically from the illiterate groundnut seller or tomato woman at the market?

Or maybe you suggest that the tomato woman invest in a point of sale before she can open up her business?  grin

I dey laff o
Re: Courtesy Sanusi, Nigeria Shines At Global Cfa Conference by RoadStar: 12:19pm On Jul 08, 2011
Jarus:

This man is not infallible, but the earlier we expunge the belief that he is a mediocre because he has no Harvard degree, the better. I'll continue to promote my role model.

http://www.proshareng.com/articles/2264

That's an attendee's account.
My man was the only speaker to receive standing ovation in a 4-day global conference of of international finance experts.

Yet some people will come here to dismiss this as 'wetin Sudan-trained aboki sabi?'
Let them not stop by giving him standing ovation, let them (international finance experts) respond by buying Nigerian stocks especially that of Nigerian Banks.
I'm sure i'm not asking for too much as they had been heavily invested in Nigerian stocks not too long ago.
Why has Global equities mostly recovered and that of Nigeria(Dominated by banking Stocks) still massively depressed ?
Why do they give him standing ovation whenever he speaks and then offload Nigerian banking shares.

Some of u really think Nigerians are stupid.
RUBBISH !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yoruba Message To Igbos. Please Understand / Shocking Revelation From The Buhari Budget Proposal...... / Ezekwesili, Other Presidential Candidates Give Conditions For Violence-free Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.