Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,899 members, 7,834,984 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) (37034 Views)

Using Locust Beans(iru/ogiri/dawadawa) To Cook / Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments / Locust Beans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:41pm On Jun 28, 2022
It's my number one most preferred spice

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Ulunne777(f): 7:41pm On Jun 28, 2022
Igbos use Ogirisi or Okpeyi,very smelly things but with great taste.

Their smells greatly nauseate me reason I've never used them but I eat foods cooked with them.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by tolulope1990(m): 7:42pm On Jun 28, 2022
Ekiti loni iru
Iru loni ekiti

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Gbadespet(m): 7:42pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:
Of course.... That's a cool alternative

But hope it's Iru Ekiti.... My state is prided for having the best Iru in the whole of SW cry grin.... I stand to be corrected tho

Iru from Moba LGEA to be precise bro
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Kenog4real(m): 7:43pm On Jun 28, 2022
Aimeefoods58:
Please where can I get ekiti dried iru. I want to start selling

I'm at your service just beep me.
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by BlueAir: 7:43pm On Jun 28, 2022
embarassed I love it so much, but God don dash me igbo girlfriend that has come to stay. embarassed na dream she dey make me dream am since she arrived
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by abobote: 7:43pm On Jun 28, 2022
I have not eaten it before, except unknown, and I don't want to eat it
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Tooreda: 7:45pm On Jun 28, 2022
So much love it. My grandma of blessed memory barely used magi. She used locust bean to satisfaction. Her delicacies tasted well in my mouth. She remains my heroine even in death. May I add that I rep Ekiti too. The locust beans there is topnotch. I've not seen any that comes close to it in any other place

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Osariemen12: 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2022
Please put viewer's discretion to the post. It is an eyesore viewing these filthy things let alone eating them. This can never be on Bini menu. God forbid! People can eat anything.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by orikzz(m): 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:
We Yoruba call it Iru or Eware and in almost all our soup it's a compulsory ingredients. Efo riro, ila or ila alasepo, Ewedu or Ewedu Alasepo, gbegiri, Egusi, Obe isapa and many others. This Iru must be added to bring out the life of the soup.

Do other tribes in Nigeria use this ingredient and what's it called in your dialect?

Nigerians in diaspora, do you get to use Iru in your soups too?

MissyB3

I hate this thing with my life
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Sirafoy: 7:47pm On Jun 28, 2022
Gbadespet:

Iru from Moba LGEA to be precise bro

Omo ilu mi

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by babtoundey(m): 7:48pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:
Haaa.... I doubt sir... I've been staying at Sango for almost 10 years now.... It's Lafun and the Garri that I feel it's their area of expertise o.... But Iru.... Leave for we Ekiti

I love iru. I eat it like biscuits

But, Iru oya is the best.
check it out. You will be glad you did.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by iyapont: 7:48pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:

But hope it's Iru Ekiti.... My state is prided for having the best Iru in the whole of SW cry grin.... I stand to be corrected tho
ikare akoko in ondo state is saying Hi undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Deicide: 7:48pm On Jun 28, 2022
Ewww. You have to grind it to dust before I'll even think of eating the food. If you put am raw like that I would never eat that food even if I wanna die of hunger.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Ibkrichie(m): 7:48pm On Jun 28, 2022
Very much
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by 1Sharon(f): 7:49pm On Jun 28, 2022
I don't mind it, just don't overdo it. Or the house will smell.

Also, please blend it along with the other ingredients.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by dododawa1: 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2022
It good for the EYE.
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Greenlight123: 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2022
Kriss216:
What's this

Please add Graphic for hewu eadline undecided
ewu waiting I don chawulin for many food u d here d what is dis English teacher

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by ekukeku(m): 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2022
Faverite in all my dish

Even inside my concortion rice grin

If possible I can use it to drink garri

I heard it's good for sight

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Lighthammer(m): 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:

But hope it's Iru Ekiti.... My state is prided for having the best Iru in the whole of SW cry grin.... I stand to be corrected thyoo
you are absolutely right..... Was born and brought up in ekiti... Not an indigine tho., but that's part of what o miss about ekiti state.. The perfect iru

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by paskal16: 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2022
Don’t think I have ever tasted that
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Lighthammer(m): 7:51pm On Jun 28, 2022
I use to remember how we do use it to eat eko back then... My love for locust bean is unimaginable
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by idmicheal20: 7:51pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:
Lol .

It's Dorwadora not kamadorawa.... It does not even sound alike grin grin grin.

Yes iru ninu Ata dindin is a babe plus eja panlan kiss kiss
With rice beans and dodo tongue

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Maxxim: 7:52pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:
Lol .

It's Dorwadora not kamadorawa.... It does not even sound alike grin grin grin.

Yes iru ninu Ata dindin is a babe plus eja panlan
kiss kiss
Lol
The Aroma of this combination reminds me of past memories when I'm preparing for school

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by lereinter(m): 7:52pm On Jun 28, 2022
emmyw:
I Would Rather Die Than Eat It!!! I Won't Die oo But That's Just To Show How Much I Dislike It

Really
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Kenog4real(m): 7:53pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:
We Yoruba call it Iru or Eware and in almost all our soup it's a compulsory ingredients. Efo riro, ila or ila alasepo, Ewedu or Ewedu Alasepo, gbegiri, Egusi, Obe isapa and many others. This Iru must be added to bring out the life of the soup.

Do other tribes in Nigeria use this ingredient and what's it called in your dialect?

Nigerians in diaspora, do you get to use Iru in your soups too?

MissyB3

Some Nigerians in diaspora can't do without it especially when it comes to preparing their local dishes.

One of my inlaws bought irú worth 20k recently when she was going back.
Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by JayPeeOham: 7:55pm On Jun 28, 2022
Dorwadora:
Graphics keh?
So you mean you've never had locust beans with your food before?

No?

Your moniker sef sounds like locust beans for my language.... Dawadawa grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Infinity2022: 7:55pm On Jun 28, 2022
The poster talked about locust beans in meals but the only thing I can see in the meal is meat.
So I want to ask is it if you cook your meal with locust beans it will turn a meat.
I am just asking for a friend

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by BigDawsNet: 7:55pm On Jun 28, 2022
My folks once brought this into the US.

Immigration and TSA just dey cover nose grin

They where like ..wtf is that in ur bag mehn....
Omo..

Con dey look ham say dis African people sha

Heat catch the IRu... the bag was oozing strong smell..

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 28, 2022
It's a must in some of my soups�like Ogbono,egusi, vegetable and ofada stew

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by Yuneehk(f): 7:56pm On Jun 28, 2022
I love iru in my ayamase, I love it in my native peppered rice, I love it in my efo riro.

We Igbos have it as okpeyi but not in this form, though.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) by humberjade: 7:56pm On Jun 28, 2022
Back in Nigeria, I hardly make stew for Yam and rice without putting enough locust beans, especially my Ofada rice. grin My efo riro...oh my God! grin
My love for it is epic! But unfortunately over here, na so so dried ones dey, and the stress of cleaning it and bringing it back to life is too stressful for me jare. I miss it though....very much!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do You Like To Eat Your Beans And Rice? / Has Anybody Noticed This? / My Home Made SHARWAMA Pictures & Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.