Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? (36980 Views)

How Do I Recover My Money From A Debtor ? / See The Mail I Got From Union Bank. Concerning. Cryptocurrency... / Union Bank Replies An Angry Customer Who Wants To Leave The Bank On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by hope4nigeria(m): 7:13am On Apr 26, 2022
4teenblaq:
Start going to the branch everyday and complain until they get tired of you, then they will have no option than to refund you your money...

Don't give them breathing space.
Transport? He will spend more than #20k on transport just watch
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by frowland(m): 7:27am On Apr 26, 2022
CaptainFM1:

Like I said in one of my post, the right thing is to credit the person first then follow suit with their investigation. It has happened to me in the UK once and that was what HSBC did.

So if you're crediting someone in weeks after and the person already gone 6ft below what then is his gain? Of what use is the reversal?
You never can tell how serious the person need that money at that point in time.

Our problem in this regard is because we don't have consumers protection/right. I bought a pair of addidas trainers in the UK and it opened up in 3days, luckily, I still kept the reciept. I went back and was giving a new one.

Another instance was when I tried buying a PC at Staples and my card was swiped twice. The first swipe already took my money and the second attempt, the attendant said I do not have enough money on my card. I look so stupid on the queue. Could you step aside? He said! Everyone was looking at me as if I stole the card somewhere.

I left there in annoyance, called my bank up and they confirmed the store had been credited. I needed to use the PC for a project over the weekend but I had to borrow someone's PC for that.

First thing on Monday morning, I called the store and started shouting on the manager and threatened that I will report them to consumer protection that they subjected me to racial profiling. Lo and behold, the manager called me in the afternoon and apologies for their mistake (double-swiping) and asked me to come pick the PC for half the price. They had to appease me somehow for the trouble. This happened on Friday night and was sorted by Monday Afternoon!

That's how urgent and serious customers query should be attended to. That's how it should be done. And if you've inconvenient a consumer/customer in any way, you should make up for it ASARP.

That is in an ideal situation where there is honesty and accountability. It’s not practically applicable in Nigeria as everyone is ‘seen’ to be dishonest with one another.

Secondly, as someone who once worked as a cash officer, his own case is unique because head office didn’t see the overage since it was dispensing and power went off.
The person who saw the overage is the ATM officer/Cash officer (This is the reason two or more person now enters the ATM machine to load cash and no longer one person). If ATM officer reports it, then it’ is captured and treated but not immediate because the customer might not be the only one in that mechine that had dispense error for that day.
If he diverts the funds then it is seen as it was dispensed and this takes more time to investigate.
Technically, the bank have to initially believe the customer and conduct some internal investigations to know where the money went to. After which the funds gets credited back, reason some take time.
Another angle is that the ATM machine and the ATM issuers are different banks.
You will need bank to bank reconciliations. He will get his funds, but have to be patient.

Finally, maybe due to curruption or so, most ATM I have come across outside Nigeria gives out your ATM CARD first before CASH. In this way, activities are logged. Instead of how it is in Nigeria where it is Cash first before ATM card.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Henrinos: 7:28am On Apr 26, 2022
Pensioners bank is at it again
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by xcelpro: 7:32am On Apr 26, 2022
Ajimusty2:
but wait,atm machine no dey use the same light with bank o.it has about 6 inverter batteries to itself[pending on the number of machines] so how that one take happen?and if thats what really happened how were you able to get back your atm card? the story no clear.
It's their ATM booth inside a university campus, immediately the machine went off, it brought out my card.
I went to the branch that owns the ATM to complain.

Thank you so much mods and Nairaland, I have read all your advice and will do same immediately.
I even received a call from someone this morning in respect to this, and the way he was talking he may be a staff of the bank, he apologised and promised that it will be resolved soonest.
Nairaland happens to be the best platform for Nigerians.
Thank you all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Biafraaa: 7:47am On Apr 26, 2022
Lol grin comrade is like you are new to this country. I was debited 300k on 24th December 2021. I complain tire until I went to complain to a magistrate and upon that it took them until 20th March 2022 to reverse it. Just keep calm or go get a lawyer.
My own bank is Zenith. I don't even want to talk about the manner there customer care talk to me that made me go talk to a magistrate.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by elmagnifico411(m): 8:00am On Apr 26, 2022
That's was ecobank held my 10k that year. I'd be forming gentle guy and be speaking English weneva I went to complain at same branch oh, they will be posting me, 'come back in 7 working days' and d rest of their bullshit proto-nonsense. Then one day, it dawned on me. I said to myself, "if Don't do weyrey for this people, your money wouldn't come out". I went straight and demanded to see the manager, telling them if nothing is done today nobody will come in, nobody will go out. One their securities approached me, I told him, baba, d way I go fight u if u touch me ehn... The manager later came down, apologized and asked me to give them 2 day. Na so my money enter account back. I later went back and demanded for closure of account after withdrawing Lal I had there. Craze dey their head walahi

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by kelspinall(m): 8:06am On Apr 26, 2022
same thing happened to me,last week 4k I wan use run some errands up til now I never receive money but the done comot am for my acc,don go complain for their bank via statement but this people are yet to retrieve my 4k,last time this happened to me na 2 months ago and it took them close to 2weeks to give me back my money...

1 Like

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by XploraBen(m): 8:11am On Apr 26, 2022
pretydiva:

Pls, can you help me with CBN mail? Ecobank has refused to reverse my money for over 2 weeks now

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Kfed4ril(m): 8:20am On Apr 26, 2022
xcelpro:
Good day Nairaland.
Please how do I recover my money from Union Bank?
On 19th April 2022, I went to use their ATM at about 8:10 a.m and I was debited N20k without cash dispense because the machine went off while counting the money due to power failure from the bank's generator house.
After 24hrs I went to their branch to lay a compliant and they acknowledged the dispense error and started that it will be reversed after 24hrs which did not happen.
I called their customer care line 2 days later and one of their agent told me that it will be reversed after 24hrs and that she has sent It for manual reversal.
Despite this I didn't get the reversal.

I again went to the bank last week Friday, 23rd April and the customer service apologized that it must be reversed that day which did not still happen.
I chatted them up on Twitter, and they claim that it has been reversed, and after proving that nothing has been reversed they stopped responding to my messages on Twitter.
I sent them a mail and they didn't respond till yesterday, where they stated that the issue will be resolve within 48 hours.
Nothing has happened yet.
I tried calling their their customer service now and I noticed that I can no longer reach them with my two lines, probably they blocked my line.

P.s; I am fully aware that they have breached their obligation in respect to banker-customer relationship and that I would be entitled to damages if I sue them for this.
But the truth is, instituting a legal action now would be too expensive for me coupled with the litigation process.

Please what do you suggest I do apart from litigation?

Write them and copy CBN, they’ll pay you sharp sharp, even double self.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by 4teenblaq: 9:00am On Apr 26, 2022
toprealman:

What if OP doesn't have that kind of time?

Then he should find another means of getting his money back.. Whenever union bank starts playing games with me, that is how I do my own part.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by 4teenblaq: 9:07am On Apr 26, 2022
Caseywilliams:

Same reason i left my union bank account to be dormant.
Mine was getting to almost a week before it was resolved, after I made a withdrawal request of 40k..the ATM counted the money but was unable to dispense the cash too. This happened at one of their branch at Ariaria int'l market.
Op look at what i was told to do then coz social media is too powerful for them.
Go to same twitter compose a detailed description about the said failed transaction with receipts as evidence so it doesn't look like you're goofing around. Tag all the necessary organizations like, CBN, EFCC, ICPC, including union bank...make it look like they have gotten your complaints severally but keep acting like they're unwilling to reverse your money. Ask your followers help you retweet the said Tweet and if the tweet blows up you might get your money back asap coz CBN policy stated that all failed electronic transaction should be reversed at the maximum of should be 7 days failure to do so attracts a penalty.

Hope this helps
Xcelpro , you can check out this suggestion if you can't do mine.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by toprealman: 9:27am On Apr 26, 2022
4teenblaq:

Then he should find another means of getting his money back.. Whenever union bank starts playing games with me, that is how I do my own part.
1001 ways to kill a rat.....there are many better options.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by doshiyad1: 9:48am On Apr 26, 2022
Brendaniel:
I think someone else may have taken the cash from that ATM after you left there, because if the machine was already counting the money, it means the dispensing of money has been approved in its programming and will be dispensed later on, that's why there are cases of people slotting in their cards and before they type anything cash rolls out of it.

However it's not your fault, the bank has to take the responsibility for that, don't go to the bank and be sounding polite with customer care, in present day Nigeria, customer care hardly help people who sound polite, it's either they give you the cash or you receive the alert on your phone before you leave the bank, anything less than that they will know a customer visited their bank, another thing- if any person tells you why are you disturbing because of 20k, tell the person to give you the money and the disturbance will stop ...

Money matter is serious matter

Correct!
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by pretydiva(f): 10:26am On Apr 26, 2022
[quote author=XploraBen post=112281770][/quote]
Thanks
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Kennyxton: 10:27am On Apr 26, 2022
CaptainFM1:

See, your analysis and defence is only good for Nigeria. I've used ATMs in so many countries and once I have issues, they sort it out within 48hours max. There was a time I reported fraudulent transaction on my HSBC. I was only giving a form to fill and sign to confirm I know nothing about the transaction. The very first thing they did the following day was to credit me back and send me a letter that they are carrying out investigation.

Thanks.

You are wonderful. RESPECT.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by BishopofGod: 10:27am On Apr 26, 2022
xcelpro:
Good day Nairaland.
On 19th April 2022, I went to use their ATM at about 8:10 a.m and I was debited N20k without cash dispense because the machine went off while counting the money due to power failure from the bank's generator house.
After 24hrs I went to their branch to lay a compliant and they acknowledged the dispense error and started that it will be reversed after 24hrs which did not happen.
I called their customer care line 2 days later and one of their agent told me that it will be reversed after 24hrs and that she has sent It for manual reversal.

I again went to the bank last week Friday, 23rd April and the customer service apologized that it must be reversed that day which did not still happen.
I chatted them up on Twitter, and they claim that it has been reversed, and after proving that nothing has been reversed they stopped responding to my messages on Twitter.
I sent them a mail and they didn't respond till yesterday, where they stated that the issue will be resolve within 48 hours.
I tried calling their their customer service now and I noticed that I can no longer reach them with my two lines, probably they blocked my line.

P.s; I am fully aware that they have breached their obligation in respect to banker-customer relationship and that I would be entitled to damages if I sue them for this.
But the truth is, instituting a legal action now would be too expensive for me coupled with the litigation process.

Just wait till after two weeks,if there is no response from them,send your complain to CBN via this mail- cpd@cbn.gov.ng state the efforts you have put in place and copy them(the bank).
See how they will respond .

1 Like

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by XploraBen(m): 10:42am On Apr 26, 2022
pretydiva:

Thanks
You're welcome Sis.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by TYCO77: 10:51am On Apr 26, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
xcelpro:
Good day Nairaland.

If you are not too busy, go back to the bank and asked to meet either the operation manager or branch manager. Explain what had transpired all these while to either of them and make them understand you are not leaving the bank until the reversal is effected.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by austinelex: 11:17am On Apr 26, 2022
greggng:

Each time I have such issues ,I do write to cbn complaint department...they ve their email on the official website of cbn. I do copy efcc and my bank . Within 24 hours my money is back in my acct
bro pls give me the site for CBN to lodge my complaint union bank is the owing me my money since last same issue with that guy
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by austinelex: 11:17am On Apr 26, 2022
greggng:

Each time I have such issues ,I do write to cbn complaint department...they ve their email on the official website of cbn. I do copy efcc and my bank . Within 24 hours my money is back in my acct
bro pls give me the site for CBN I have same issue
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by austinelex: 11:26am On Apr 26, 2022
olopolo2k:
This issue is a very simple one, I worked in union Bank and other banks for years before settling down for personal business. If your complaint is as stated, do a letter to union bank address it to head of internal control with a copy to inspection department and CBN dispute resolution department. You will get your money in three days
bro I have similar issues though my bank is fidelity bank and I used union bank Atm how do i lodge a complaint
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by kkins25(m): 11:33am On Apr 26, 2022
silibaba:

while writing them on twitter next time, copy CBN, EFCC,FMF,NDIC, ICPC,NIC and thank me later. it wont get to 24hrs, your money will be reversed.
Im facing a similar issue with flutter. However, in my case, i was trying to send money from my barter account to my bank account and omitted one digit from it.

Even though there was a mish-match between the bank name and bank number, the transaction still processed and my barter account debited.

Its getting to a month, i contacted my bank, they told me to tell barter to reverse the money. Im assuming that my bank believes the money didn't go anywhere.

But thats not what barter is telling me. Barter claims the money had been received by someone else, and that they have tried to contact the receiving bank but are yet to receive feedback.

Any suggestions?
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by tjay01(m): 11:41am On Apr 26, 2022
Coming online will not solve the issue, I advise that you visit the branch and ask to see the manager. Am sure your case will be looked into and resolved. You can also call the contact center / customer service agent for assistance.
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Adamumd(m): 11:56am On Apr 26, 2022
arantess:

Mine took 5 working days for them to reverse

Alternatively you can report to CBN, I saw a thread here yesterday on how to go about that

But exhaust all options first including statement of acco
unt, 10working days etc
You used your card on same bank ATM machine? I used Gtcard or Accessbank machine yesterday and got debited, i laid complain online and in bank and they told mw 8 working days... What bank is involved in yours, worst part it's my last card
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Adamumd(m): 11:57am On Apr 26, 2022
austinelex:
bro I have similar issues though my bank is fidelity bank and I used union bank Atm how do i lodge a complaint
When did this happen and how many days have you waited?
Mine they told me 8 working days
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by rockme: 12:49pm On Apr 26, 2022
Please send an Email to customerservice@unionbankng.com stating the details of your account and the transaction.

Also quote the Subject as Nairaland Complaint

xcelpro:
Good day Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by ghettochild(m): 12:55pm On Apr 26, 2022
Go with ur friends carrying placards infront of the bank..
No forget to buy odogwu bitters along...
And post pics on twitter.. tag does needed to make it spread....
Even oga boss fit see am.. and bless u join sef
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Pat081: 12:55pm On Apr 26, 2022
You do not read b4 you jump to comment go and read again
Brendaniel:
I think someone else may have taken the cash from that ATM after you left there, because if the machine was already counting the money, it means the dispensing of money has been approved in its programming and will be dispensed later on, that's why there are cases of people slotting in their cards and before they type anything cash rolls out of it.

However it's not your fault, the bank has to take the responsibility for that, don't go to the bank and be sounding polite with customer care, in present day Nigeria, customer care hardly help people who sound polite, it's either they give you the cash or you receive the alert on your phone before you leave the bank, anything less than that they will know a customer visited their bank, another thing- if any person tells you why are you disturbing because of 20k, tell the person to give you the money and the disturbance will stop ...

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Bamzyriches451: 12:57pm On Apr 26, 2022
Damn!
Nigerian banks are thieves
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by GooseBump: 1:18pm On Apr 26, 2022
HOW TO LODGE A COMPLAINT WITH THE CBN

The CBN advised customers to allow deposit money banks to resolve their complaints within two weeks.

“If after lodging your complaint your Bank still fails to engage you and resolve the complaint within 2 Weeks as provided for in the ATM HELP DESK Circular, you have the right to escalate your complaint to the Consumer Protection Department (CPD) of the CBN,” the apex bank said.

“You can only direct your Complaints to CPD upon the failure of your Bank/Financial Institution to resolve your complaint within the 2 weeks timeline given by the CBN.”

The apex financial regulator said customers can contact the CPD by sending an email to
cpd@cbn.gov.ng, contactcbn@cbn.gov.ng or call +234 7002255226.

Customers can lodge a complaint directly on the CBN website via this link.

Customers can also choose to write a letter addressed to the director, Consumer Protection Department, Central Business District, Abuja.

“Your letter of Complaint should be addressed to the Director, Consumer Protection Department. You can submit your letter at the CBN Head Office OR at any of the Central Bank of Nigeria branches of nationwide,” the CBN added.

“Your complaint should be clear and concise to avoid ambiguity. The Complaint letter (petition) should contain amongst other things the following:
• Name, Address, Contact Phone Number & E-mail of the Complainant;
• Name of your Financial Institution;
• Personal banking details (Do NOT include PIN & Passwords, pleasewink
• History/Date of the transaction in dispute;
• Amount claimed (if any);
• Attach relevant documents to support your claim and;
• Evidence to show that you have first lodged the complaint at your bank.”

“You can make your further inquiries and obtain additional information on the Complaints Handling Process of the Central Bank of Nigeria from the Complaints Unit of your Bank/Financial Institution or from CBN offices nationwide

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by DrDax: 1:52pm On Apr 26, 2022
Brendaniel:

@the bolded, gibberish with authority. cheesy
Re: How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? by Kazeem47(m): 2:30pm On Apr 26, 2022
Kilef05:

You mean you are always present at the bank for 6months?
not everyday o.You know they will tell you to go and come back after 5 or 10 working days,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Court Okays Innoson On Its Execution Of Judgment Against GTB / Paddy Adenuga: It Is Nice Having Rich Parent, But It's His Money, Not Mine" / Soccer Tips For Pros.. Make That Money Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.