Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,534 members, 7,823,320 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? (16790 Views)

Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...! / Best Way To Discipline A Child Without Spanking / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by marcus1234: 7:13am On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 31, 2011
Hitting a kid has psychological effects,

Raise your child with love and caring, she/he will find it hard to disappoint the person that loves her the most and cared for her the most,

Given this power of parental love, you must make your child the freest being existing. That means let her decide who she will be based on her innocent choice. Let her hobby be her profession only then will you see a happy child rich or average because such children are never poor,  They grow up free thinking and seeing life differently in a positive world! Raise your children by keeping them freely close to you with love, and making ready for life after they are on their own with freedom!!!!!!

Note: Even though i was high on that cali green when I wrote the above, that is my view on how children should be raised and how I plan to raise mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't nothing I say a law,
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by benlay(m): 7:40am On Jul 31, 2011
i would not talk about possibility, but to discipline a child comes in different methods, flogging could be used once in a while , smiley
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Goldieluks: 8:04am On Jul 31, 2011
The Bible stated it clearly ''spare the rod,and spoil the child''. One cannot bring up a child merely by simple or severe warning.some children requires iron hand. Iron hand in the sense that as a parent you have to smack their bum once in a while.I totally disagree with the animalistic way in which some parents tend to use as a disciplinary attitude. Take a look at UK today,the government had declared that any parent who beats up their child or even slaps their child would be subjected to arrest and so on. But take a look at the behaviour of youths of today,especially the youths in this very London,85 % of them are wild,spoilt,rude,mean,they do what they like and so on.

For example,if you do take the public transport once in while,like buses and train,lo and behold,you would get fed up with the displays and behaviours of these youths,dare to correct them,and a knife would be stick into your throat or abdomen,if care is not taken. Can someone please tell me what generated this type of attitude that is portrayed by youths of today? Does this usually happens in our own Nigeria?I mean is it rampant or as popular? Let's go back home if some of us had not received the type of discipline we got from our parents, only Go knows what we would have become. Challenge me if am wrong here.

Am not in support of flogging a child,but am in support of smacking a child when the need arises,cause sometimes a child needs that small element of fear.you cannot leave a child to go astray just because you simply do not want them to feel bad or maybe to be scared of you as a parent or something.
The word of the Bible always stands and if we as humans, we decide to paint it to suit our own taste or sense of reasoning,then different troubles may arise from different places,even from the slightess of places.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Thatdave(m): 8:10am On Jul 31, 2011
i was floggd so many times in secondary sch. the flogging was done on back with 3 twistd 2.5 mm cables with the coper wire exposd in the tip. i have seen my own blood many times, i have had ma shirt torn many times by this coper tip . we calld that cane the claw. i have cleard half a football field of grass many times as punishment/ i have pickd pin a million times. i have been slappd and flogged with belt so many times that it doesnt pain any more! i and a hundred other persons graduated that day from the seminary . we were the best outside, even nw in this high institution all our old boys are dinstinction candidates. we are the best here. we have been raisd like spartarns the law outside here is too easy to keep. we were soldiers. we were seminarians.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by deenee: 8:54am On Jul 31, 2011
My mummy spanked me when I was a child living in Nigeria, and Daddy gave me long sermons (which I still dread till today) coupled with occasional knocks on the head. I didn't understand nor like it then but I am grateful that they did because I now realize that it was done out of love and I am the greatest benefactor at the end, I LOVE YOU DADDY and MUMMY ALL THE WAY!

For those who say that occasional spanking is not good , just go to YouTube, search for 'world's strictest parents' and happy viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnMjVMjyA0
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Sike(m): 9:15am On Jul 31, 2011
U must learn to flog your Child if you want him/her to learn. That is the law of this game. It worked and always will. Trust me!
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Abongs(m): 10:06am On Jul 31, 2011
there is a sayin spear the rod and spoil the child
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by mutter(f): 10:14am On Jul 31, 2011
It is POSSIBLE to discipline a child without flogging. I am glad the question had this word possible in it. Because it what is possible is not always functional.
A wise proverb goes this way, "It is better for the child to cry than the parents to cry." While writing this my 22 month old girl climbed on her brothers bunk bed and was jumping on it.Now that`s a new idea she got into her head and obviously a dangerous one. Well since "get down" did not send the message across she got a spank on her bum. So now she cried briefly, but better her tears than my wailing over a calamity that may affect her life for ever.
My first son sometimes said I was pretty hard , latter in life he was grateful that I had been hard.
When a child reaches the age of reason there are other methods to apply even more functional than beating. When my children do something wrong, I also see it as my own shortcoming. Not only the child has failed but I too have failed in my duties as a mother. To beat the child at this stage is only a sign that I have lost control of the situation. I remember when my teenage daughter got cheeky on me. She had some friends and had seen them talk that way to their parents. I had cautioned her reminding her that I was an african woman, and as such I would not tolerate it. First warning, second warning, third warning,  and then she tried it again. I took of my top and bra and asked her to strip. Since we were now mates we could look at each other Unclad. She got a real shock and was in  real tears. Luckily for her my husband came into the room to save the situation for her. But she learnt a lesson for life.
Raising children is not an easy task. Every child is different and one has to find out which method functions on each child and apply it. God knows that if it has to be flogging, I will apply it rather than raising a child that will grow up to be a nuisance to society. Some of my kids I have never raised a finger on while some of them you can preach sermon. Here in- there out. They needed some years to understand  the spoken word.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by olaoluwa5: 10:23am On Jul 31, 2011
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him (Proverbs 13:24).

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him (Proverbs 22:15).

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die (Proverbs 23:13).

The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother (Proverbs 29:15).

Spanking has been misused by many Christians (as well as non-Christians), and sometimes constitutes child abuse. However, when used within a nurturing, loving home, spanking can have very positive results.
When done well, spanking helps children grow in respect, obedience and self-control. It is not child abuse.
When done poorly, spanking results in anger and bitterness. It can harm children emotionally and physically, and may be child abuse.

Let's do it responsibly.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Woke4all(m): 10:28am On Jul 31, 2011
Goldieluks:

The Bible stated it clearly ''spare the rod,and spoil the child''. One cannot bring up a child merely by simple or severe warning.some children requires iron hand. Iron hand in the sense that as a parent you have to smack ttheir bum once in a while. I totally disagree with the animalistic way in which some parents tend to use as a disciplinary attitude. Take a look at UK today,the government had declared that any parent who beats up their child or even slaps their child would be subjected to arrest and so on. But take a look at the behaviour of youths of today,especially the youths in this very London,85 % of them are wild,spoilt,rude,mean,they do what they like and so on.

For example,if you do take the public transport once in while,like buses and train,lo and behold,you would get fed up with the displays and behaviours of these youths,dare to correct them,and a knife would be stick into your throat or abdomen.,if care is not taken. Can someone please tell me what generated this type of attitude that is portrayed by youths of today? Does this usually happens in our own Nigeria?I mean is it rampant or as popular? Let's go back home if some of us had not received the type of discipline we got from our parents only Go knows what we would have become. Challenge me if am wrong here.

Am not in support of flogging a child,but am in support of smacking a child when the need arises,cause sometimes a child needs that small element of fear.you cannot leave a child to go astray just because you simply do not want them to feel bad or maybe to be scared of you as a parent or something.
The word of the Bible always stands and if we as humans, we decide to paint it to suit our own taste or sense of reasoning,then different troubles may arise from different places,even from the slightess of places.
I totally agree with the floging method.

I remember back then in my family every child, in the house have his/her size of cane which only my mum use as the action woman. grin

Even in school it's everyday requirement for us to grow.

Some are saying it has Psychological effect. Of which is not true, If not for those cane and the iron like Goldie said, Hmmmm na Agbero some of us for be grin.

My mum do the beating while my dad did the advising back then which made me who i am today.

So to me Beating/floging and advicing goes together to make a child become a better person.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by daroz(m): 10:32am On Jul 31, 2011
antitpiah:

Spare the rod, spoil the child

Beat the child, I say.

If possible, 'give am some blow,' if there is no cane or koboko nearby.

Or you can do like my friend's mother, when they offend you, do nothing until they are asleep. Wake them up in the middle of the night and give them the "shock and awe" treatment, with their body already soaked in water and their hands and legs tied together.

Trust me, your children will end up exactly they way you wanted.

Exactly cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by norrisman: 10:40am On Jul 31, 2011
I love my son to bits and regret everytime I spank him but sometimes it has to be done. I never spank him when he does something once or twice but if he does something the third time, he gets the licks! And by some miracle he tends to learn once he has been spanked.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Goldieluks: 11:13am On Jul 31, 2011
ola-oluwa1:

He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him (Proverbs 13:24).

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him (Proverbs 22:15).

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die (Proverbs 23:13).

The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother (Proverbs 29:15).

Spanking has been misused by many Christians (as well as non-Christians), and sometimes constitutes child abuse. However, when used within a nurturing, loving home, spanking can have very positive results.
When done well, spanking helps children grow in respect, obedience and self-control. It is not child abuse.
When done poorly, spanking results in anger and bitterness. It can harm children emotionally and physically, and may be child abuse.

Let's do it responsibly.

You have said it all,and any contradiction to this, would result to huge problems.  (write it on the wall) people.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by gendebs(m): 11:23am On Jul 31, 2011
i wld ve been a nuisance if nt 4 my dad's rod. I remember i love the meat in the pot than the small piece my mum puts on my plate, i will cunnyly take some pieces from the pot or reduce the big meat to an abnormal size. The day dem catch me i saw hell on earth, i was mercilessly beaten sote if meat miss 4 pot even if it is not me na mi dem go beat nobody teach me 2 stop am. Seriously a child needs to be flog and not pampered wen wrong
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Koolking(m): 11:54am On Jul 31, 2011
Quote from: ola-oluwa1 on Today at 10:23:52 AM
[b]He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him (Proverbs 13:24).

Let's do it responsibly
.[/b]

kiss coolwell said Ola-Oluwa
I don't understand why some of us are afraid to do the right thing.

Most children take their parents unseriously if they are scolded verbally ever now and then. To make them realise the seriousness of your constant scolding you need to apply a little intimidating measures like flogging.

When i was a kid the fear of cane was the beginning of wisdom. The fear of flogging deterred us from acting contrary to the instructions of our parents.

If you believe flogging a child is an abuse on the child, then you better think twice. Children of nowadays need more flogging in order for them to step into the footprints of parents. Flogging your child does not make you bad/abuse parents. If the child grows up and become a nuisance to the society, the blame goes to you as irresponsible parents. If s/he is good, you become a reference of good parenting to the society.

Spare the rod and spoil the child, the Bible was not wrong.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 31, 2011
Thatdave:

i was floggd so many times in secondary sch. the flogging was done on back with 3 twistd 2.5 mm cables with the coper wire exposd in the tip. i have seen my own blood many times, i have had ma shirt torn many times by this coper tip . we calld that cane the claw. i have cleard half a football field of grass many times as punishment/ i have pickd pin a million times. i have been slappd and flogged with belt so many times that it doesnt pain any more! i and a hundred other persons graduated that day from the seminary . we were the best outside, even nw in this high institution all our old boys are dinstinction candidates. we are the best here. we have been raisd like spartarns the law outside here is too easy to keep. we were soldiers. we were seminarians.

Nonsense and ingredients!
Why is it that corporal punishment has done so little to stem corruption (and I mean "horizontal corruption" which affects every strata of society, from teachers to police officers to medical professionals and what not), armed robbery, child trafficking and so many other ills in Nigeria?
Abi you think Nigeria nah Singapore, eh?

Flogging got outlawed in saner climes for a reason; it became unfashionable to assume children were blank slates or born with sin - which needed to weeded out.
Ever wonder why so many brutal acts are committed on a daily basis?
On a recent trip, I counted no less than 5 incidents of road rage inside a distance of 2Km where antagonists and protagonists were freely trading blows - women included.
Now, tell me what informs such conflict resolution skills?
What lies at the root of the zero sum game that gets played in different areas of enterprise on a daily basis?

Nigeria is not the most impoverished nation in Africa or even in a state of war (cue Somalia, DR Congo), so what's with all the aggression?
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 31, 2011

Let's do it responsibly.

Goldieluks:

You have said it all,and any contradiction to this, would result to huge problems.  (write it on the wall) people.

So you predicate your own understanding of childhood, the welfare of children and all it entails entirely on the book of proverbs.
Simple Simplicita!

Tell me how this makes you any different from those bent on implementing sharia in its purest form, thereby doing away with Nigeria's child rights act (http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/WCARO_Nigeria_Factsheets_CRA.pdf).

Rather than looking at all sides of the debate, you choose to shut it down by introducing beliefs that were once popular in the medieval world - much like our shariarists up North who have no qualms marrying off 10year old girls
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 31, 2011
Yes! Educate the child and he or she will learn.

Flogging will only frighten the child and cause injuries to the body. Psychologically, that might be having some negative effects in his life which we might know of.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by anwuli1(f): 12:54pm On Jul 31, 2011
flogging actually does not achieve a great deal. it creates fear and apprehension, and children avoid things because of the consequences that their actions would evoke. now, what good is that when the child does not really know why they are avoiding it? when they are out of your reach to flog, either because they are now living away from home or because they are too old, they would go back and do those same things, because they probably still don't know why it is wrong.

the art of communication needs to be harnessed in bringing-up children. discuss with children the consequences of their actions, and for a particularly stubborn one, there are other means of correction. flogging inflicts physical pain. but there are other ways to get a child to feel bad. how about verbal chastisement, how about withdrawal of privileges, how about other punishments like writing a report on why they think they are writing the report, etc, etc. things like this actually take the child on a journey through the thought process of why they are wrong and why they should probably avoid such behaviour in future.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by anwuli1(f): 1:06pm On Jul 31, 2011
Koolking:

kiss coolwell said Ola-Oluwa
I don't understand why some of us are afraid to do the right thing.

Most children take their parents unseriously if they are scolded verbally ever now and then. To make them realise the seriousness of your constant scolding you need to apply a little intimidating measures like flogging.

When i was a kid the fear of cane was the beginning of wisdom. The fear of flogging deterred us from acting contrary to the instructions of our parents.

If you believe flogging a child is an abuse on the child, then you better think twice. Children of nowadays need more flogging in order for them to step into the footprints of parents. Flogging your child does not make you bad/abuse parents. If the child grows up and become a nuisance to the society, the blame goes to you as irresponsible parents. If s/he is good, you become a reference of good parenting to the society.

Spare the rod and spoil the child, the Bible was not wrong.
i beg to differ. no, the fear of the cane was not any beginning of wisdom for you because the furthest your fear would carry you to is to know that you should avoid that activity, why? because if you don't you will get caned. a simple case of cause and effect. that, right there, is common sense, not wisdom. wisdom is knowing WHY  performing a particular act is wrong. wisdom knows that in the long run, engaging in those activities is actually to noone's benefit. and so, behind closed doors when noone is watching and there is no chance of being caught and getting flogged, wisdom does not engage in that activity, because he [b]KNOWS [/b]that it is wrong.

please my fellow nigerians, don't use that verse that says "spare the rod and spoil the child" in your defense to abuse your children. ever heard of figurative speech? when Solomon refers to "the rod", have you ever considered that maybe he didn't necessarily mean a physical rod, but maybe he meant discipline in general? may God help us all. Amen.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 31, 2011
^^^^
That's were you got it wrong - your comment only proves that the flogging was not the solution. It doesn't justify why you guys become disciplined kids but only proves the point that you wish to learn that's why it works for you. So, it is better to educate than flog a child!
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Goldieluks: 1:32pm On Jul 31, 2011
eGuerrilla:

So you predicate your own understanding of childhood, the welfare of children and all it entails entirely on the book of proverbs.
Simple Simplicita!

Tell me how this makes you any different from those bent on implementing sharia in its purest form, thereby doing away with Nigeria's child rights act (http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/WCARO_Nigeria_Factsheets_CRA.pdf).

Rather than looking at all sides of the debate, you choose to shut it down by introducing beliefs that were once popular in the medieval world - much like our shariarists up North who have no qualms marrying off 10year old girls

Read my first post and you would see where am coming from.
i believe in the Bible and every word it says,the book of proverbs did not encourage parents
to kill their children,by a way of disciplining them,it only gave a warning that,if you as a parent,should
over look the bad side of a child and decides that 'TALKING'' with do the trick,you would spoil that child.

I totally go against the Sharia way of disciplinary,because in such laws,they kill people and make both
the old and young go through severe pain.And that is NOT what the book of Proverb was on about,so don't mix it please.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Pweety4me(f): 1:52pm On Jul 31, 2011
@OP Some good points here, i just believe do all with care, don't react out of anger it is selfish & dangerous.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 31, 2011
Goldieluks:

Read my first post and you would see where am coming from.
i believe in the Bible and every word it says,the book of proverbs did not encourage parents
to kill their children,by a way of disciplining them,it only gave a warning that,if you as a parent,should
over look the bad side of a child and decides that 'TALKING'' with do the trick,you would spoil that child.

I totally go against the Sharia way of disciplinary,because in such laws,they kill people and make both
the old and young go through severe pain.And that is NOT what the book of Proverb was on about,so don't mix it please.

Oh, I perfectly understand where you are coming from?
The bible is the sole authority on what it takes to discipline a child, and here is where you stand.

You may not know this but there was once a time when Christians is the so-called developed world framed policies concerning the welfare of children based on the same premise.
You'd have to go back a long way though, as such notions have long been done away with in the face of growing awareness about the institution of childhood and all it entails.

No where have you offered proof that corporal punishment, which was instituted in schools by our colonial masters, actually helps develop upright citizens, and, in turn, the task of nation building.
And just to be clear, I will make it obvious, once more, that your literal interpretation of the bible puts your thinking on the same plane as that of a shariarist in one of our northern states. Same difference really!
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by mcro: 3:01pm On Jul 31, 2011
I grew up in an environment where corporal punishment was highly encouraged. One common denomination i can see today is dt one of us children of dt particular environment are v responsible citizens 2day. Thanks 2my father of blessed memory, i wud have bn worse off had i bn left 2my own devices. Truth is dt some children need more than mere verbal chastisement 2be corrected. That d child gets immuned 2d punishment is not totally true; he stl dreads d prospect of d sure cane. I am talking 4m experience. Most of my friends 2day seem 2have same story of childhood, they were stubborn & were not indulged and today they are better 4it. As a matter of fact, d real rebels among us when we were young grow up 2love d parent dt stood up against our delinquencies. All we need 2learn is how 2 draw d line btw punishment as a corrective measure or as an abuse. My father knew just dt.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Goldieluks: 3:08pm On Jul 31, 2011
chaircover:

I disagree.

Not all "unsmacked" children end up spoilt and not all smacked children end up good.

I keep on saying that all children are different and your childs behaviour will determine how you choose to parent him/her.

The parent has to start instilling the difference between right and wrong from very early on, the parent must be available to train that child and the parent MUST also lead by example.

Its not just about christmas turkey, the occassional Mr Biggs and beating.

stop lying to yourself,lets be real here(take away the fact that you are on NL)lets face FACT here,
swear that you were NEVER smacked as a child,by your parent/s,and swear that your siblings were not smacked,once in a while by your parent/s.

Please lets be real here!
You may have made up your mind,not to smack your own child,but you cannot rule out the fact that smacking a child,is a bad upbringing,NO way.
Yes the parents are expected to lead by example,but parents are prone to mistakes sometimes(stop sounding as if parents are gods).Yes some child
do not deserve smacking,but are you saying that these classes of children are Alpha children?(meaning,they were not smacked in their entire childhood)?

show me the child who wasn't smacked by their parents .Even the so-called white people smack,swear,and even slap their children in public.(not that i support that attitude) but what am saying is a child MUST be smacked once in a while.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 31, 2011
^^^^ You are the one confusing yourself here. Now you've turned flogging into smack! Jeez!

Take good care of yourself!
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 31, 2011
//
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Goldieluks: 3:18pm On Jul 31, 2011
all4naija:

^^^^ You are the one confusing yourself here. Now you've turn flogging into smack! Jeez!

Take good care of yourself!

I use smacking because flogging smacking is the same thing.
stop twisting yourself,
Peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Marrying A Girl From A Broken Home...does It Really Matter? / =N=5,000 Weekly Charitable Gifts / Why Are Women Outliving Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.