Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,362 members, 7,864,682 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 12:42 AM

Nollywood And The South East. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nollywood And The South East. (1128 Views)

Tinubu Hosts Nollywood And Kannywood Entertainers (Pictures) / Photos From South-East APC For Buhari Rally / South-East For Buhari Rally: Happening In Owerri Now - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 26, 2022
How come the south east geopolitical zone has lost out in the entertainment industry in Nigeria.
We should do something about it, before it's too late.
Everything is moving to Asaba, Port Harcourt and Lagos.
The future is bleeding.
Sometimes I wonder the kind of governors we have in south east.
If we don't stop the trend now. We might cry of marginalization in the entertainment sector tomorrow (sad) cry cry
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by ThankGodFriday(m): 7:34pm On Apr 26, 2022
Not true
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by headbasher96(m): 7:59pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:
How come the south east geopolitical zone has lost out in the entertainment industry in Nigeria.
The future is bleeding.
If we don't stop the trend now. We might cry of marginalization in the entertainment sector tomorrow (sad) cry cry
continue supporting madness in your region and expect wise people to follow u impossible

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by ChoCho54(f): 8:10pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:
The future is bleeding.
Are you ok like this?
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 26, 2022
headbasher96:
continue supporting madness in your region and expect wise people to follow u impossible
Please I don't understand you.
You mean asking our governors to build an entertainment conducive city is equivalent to supporting madness.
Or are a troll.?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Apr 26, 2022
All I'm saying is south east governors should sit up and create a conducive environment where modern day movie industries can trive.
Anyone who disagree with me, is either he lacks foresight or he does not have good intentions for the people of south east geopolitical zone.
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by aribisala0(m): 8:20pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:
The future is bleeding.
The simple truth is that the south east went into the industry purely as a business to make money without paying attention to the content. There is no strong stage tradition or passion of theatre in the SE outside of film. Ola Rotimi found great success in Port Harcourt on stage

The acumen on the Alaba traders no doubt contributed to taking Nollywood to a next level but eventually the cultural content will be interrogated and this is an area where the SS and SW are stronger historically. Delta and Rivers were very strong centres of culture in the 60s and 70s as were Lagos and Ibadan. If you go back to the days of NTA . NTA Aba had Masquerade , Benin had Hotel de Jordan and Port Harcourt had numerous shows . I cannot recall anything from Enugu
What s happening to the Ibo language movie industry?

It has gone down the road of English which has been a huge success across Africa but the future has to be in indigenous languages with subtitles in my opinion

8 Likes

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 26, 2022
aribisala0:
The simple truth is that the south east went into the industry as a business to make money without paying attention to the content. The acumen on the Alaba traders no doubt contributed to taking Nollywood to a next level but eventually the cultural content will be interrogated and this is an area where the SS and SW are stronger historically. Delta and Rivers were very strong centres of culture in the 60s and 70s as were Lagos and Ibadan. If you go back to the days of NTA . NTA Aba had Masquerade , Benn had Hotel de Jordan and Port Harcourt had numerous show . I cannot recall anything from Enugu
What s happening to the Ibo language movie industry?

Itt has gone down the road of English which has been a huge success across Africa butt the future has to be in indigenous languages with subtitles in my opinion
Yeah..
Won't it be nice if the rich guys in our land start supporting our own..
Imagine from Movie to Music. We are seriously loosing here.
But it seems our people are not seeing the trend. I believe if we don't join the train now, we might not be able to do that again.
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Ofodirinwa: 8:34pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:
The future is bleeding.

Do you like how you sound?
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by aribisala0(m): 8:36pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:

Yeah..
Won't it be nice if the rich guys in our land start supporting our own..
Imagine from Movie to Music. We are seriously loosing here.
But it seems our people are not seeing the trend. I believe if we don't join the train now, we might not be able to do that again.
The important thing is to go back to basics not everything is money

Is there any theatre in the south east?

Is there any interest in watching live drama on stage? in the region.
Is there such a tradition at the primary and secondary school level

What about all those masquerade play performances

Many actors today are there because they are good looking without any training

Those drama companies that we had in the 60s and 70s were largely in the SW and SS

When Nollywood came many of them were sidelined but they are reemerging because the fundamentals were there.

Actors should learn the work like any other profession

I remember when
Things Fall Apart was made to great acclaim , I do not think it was financially successful but it was great and so when the focus is money ttthere will be short term gain but itt won't last

7 Likes

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 26, 2022
aribisala0:

Those drama companies that we had in the 60s and 70s were largely in the SW and SS

When Nollywood came many of them were sidelined but they are reemerging because the fundamentals were there.

I remember when
Things Fall Apart was made to great acclaim , I do not think it was financially successful but it was great and so when the focus is money ttthere will be short term gain but itt won't last
But bros Enugu hwere the potentials of putting all this in place. ie; building a theater,
Place for stage play drama.
Delta state is building a film village.
I believe in "build it the will come" that was how Dubai was made.
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by paramakina202: 8:52pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:

You mean asking our governors to build an entertainment conducive city is equivalent to supporting madness.
Or are a troll.?

After building entertainment conducive city what follows next is sit at home I don't think that is best for business.
Simon Ekpa has just declared 16,17,18 next month as sit home how can business strive in such environment?

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Afonjakid: 8:53pm On Apr 26, 2022
aribisala0:

I remember when
What are you even saying,
Nollywood today was started in Enugu, igbos were the ones that brought Nigerian movie industry to the global stage. Yorubas were more focused on their local movies while igbos were running the Nollywood.

Things might have changed now due to some certain factors, Enugu is gradually loosing it to Lagos and Asaba. I hope that igbos sits down and do something about how things are in the SE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by aribisala0(m): 8:55pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:
But bros Enugu hwere the potentials of putting all this in place. ie; building a theater,
Place for stage play drama.
Delta state is building a film village.
I believe in "build it the will come" that was how Dubai was made.

It is not a building issue

That is hardware

The software is more important .

That is people and local culture
Dubai is not the right example

Is Dubai known for local entertainment. It is more of a trading centre

Which the SE can be but culturally Aba and Onitsha or Enugu are Weak compared to Asaba Warri or Port Harcourt when it comes to entertainment and cruise
It is not necessarily a problem that money can fix

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Westtimeline: 8:58pm On Apr 26, 2022
Afonjakid:

Nollywood today was started in Enugu, igbos were the ones that brought Nigerian movie industry to the global stage. Yorubas were more focused on their local movies while igbos were running the Nollywood.

Things might have changed now due to some certain factors, Enugu is gradually loosing it to Lagos and Asaba. I hope that igbos sits down and do something about how things are in the SE
You don't know what you are saying.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Afonjakid: 9:02pm On Apr 26, 2022
Westtimeline:
You don't know what you are saying.
Says an afonja who thinks he knows anything
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by aribisala0(m): 9:05pm On Apr 26, 2022
Afonjakid:

I agree with your first paragraph
but the focus was making money and those in charge were businessmen maybe if they had collaborated with professionals it would have been better but that model may have outlived its time
Yoruba are still focussed on their "local" movies as you call it but that has survived because it is true to its culture . We are talking about what will work in future

If you look at Yoruba movie industry some of the biggest names are not Yoruba
Mercy Aigbe,, Nkechi Blessing. Kevin Ikeduba, Fathia Balogun, Ibrahim Chatta.
Maybe if Nollywood opened itself to all Nigerians it might be a different story .There has been a dominance of Igbos in Nollywood but they do not have the apprenticeship system in acting that has served so well in trading and those who felt excluded have found their niche. That is life You win you lose you go back to the drawing board you win again. T a large extent Nollywood has been Igbo movies in English language. Don't you think the Igbo language suffers as a consequence?

If we can get a movie industry for all Nigerians then we can have a great future but retreating into sectional silos will not work

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 26, 2022
aribisala0:
It is not a building issue

That is hardware

The software is more important .

That is people and local culture
Dubai is not the right example

Is Dubai known for local entertainment. It is more of a trading centre

Which the SE can be but culturally Aba and Onitsha or Enugu are Weak compared to Asaba Warri or Port Harcourt when it comes to entertainment and cruise
It is not necessarily a problem that money can fix

So bros what do you think we should do now that it's still on infant stage.
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Afonjakid: 9:12pm On Apr 26, 2022
aribisala0:
I agree with your first paragraph
but the focus was making money and those in charge were businessmen maybe if they had collaborated with professionals it would have been better but that model may have outlived its time
Yoruba are still focussed on their "local" movies as you call it but that has survived because it is true to its culture . We are talking about what will work in future

If you look at Yoruba movie industry some of the biggest names are not Yoruba
Mercy Aigbe,, Nkechi Blessing. Kevin Ikeduba, Fathia Balogun, Ibrahim Chatta.
Maybe if Nollywood opened itself to all Nigerians it might be a different story .There has been a dominance of Igbos in Nollywood but they do not have the apprenticeship system in acting that has served so well in trading and those who felt excluded have found their niche. That is live You win you lose you go back to the drawing board you win again

If we can get a movie industry for all Nigerians then we can have a great future but retreating into sectional silos will not work
I don't really agree with all you just said.

Nollywood have been inclusive to everybody. Igbos opened it to everyone including Ghanians.

The likes of olu Jacob was even acting igwe role, joke silva,Sam loco, Jackie Appia infact there are many of non-igbos who are Nollywood veterans. Igbos have always made Nollywood an inclusive industry for everyone.

The likes of funke became very popular when she started acting in Nollywood. Yoruba movie made her popular only among yorubas.

Those igbo names you mentioned, I don't know them cause I don't watch yoruba movies

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by aribisala0(m): 9:14pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:

So bros what do you think we should do now that it's still on infant stage.
My take is that we need to unite and create a movie industry that includes all Nigerians without tribalism just like the music industry

We need to encourage theatre in primary schools and secondary schools and encourage live theatre

When was the last time you say a live theatre performance ? Where was this?

1 Like

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by aribisala0(m): 9:17pm On Apr 26, 2022
Afonjakid:

I don't really agree with all you just said.

Nollywood have been inclusive to everybody. Igbos opened it to everyone including Ghanians.

The likes of olu Jacob was even acting igwe role, joke silva,Sam loco, Jackie Appia infact there are many of non-igbos who are Nollywood veterans. Igbos have always made Nollywood an inclusive industry for everyone.

The likes of funke became very popular when she started acting in Nollywood. Yoruba movie made her popular only among yorubas.

Those igbo names you mentioned, I don't know them cause I don't watch yoruba movies
It is always educative to get different perspectives. Our people say that which is looking at me is showing its back to you

1 Like

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Afonjakid: 9:19pm On Apr 26, 2022
aribisala0:
It is always educative to get different perspectives. Our people say that which is looking at me is showing its back to you
Can you explain more on this

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 26, 2022
aribisala0:
My take is that we need to unite and create a movie industry that includes all Nigerians without tribalism just like the music industry

We need to encourage theatre in primary schools and secondary schools and encourage live theatre

When was the last time you say a live theatre performance ? Where was this?
I swear. Such things does not exist here in the east.
The only time I watched theater play was when I went to Ibadan to see my aunt.. (she is actually Yoruba.. my dad brother married Yoruba. cheesy)
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by headbasher96(m): 9:19pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:

Or are a troll.?
no enugu is not beautiful enough
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by aribisala0(m): 9:25pm On Apr 26, 2022
Waneri:
I swear. Such things does not exist here in the east.
The only time I watched theater play was when I went to Ibadan to see my aunt.. (she is actually Yoruba.. my dad brother married Yoruba. cheesy)
Well I believe if we are serious about movie business in Nigeria we need to encourage theatre. That was the point I was making that such things are part of the culture in the SW but there was a culture of masquerade plays in the SE which were used for story telling though there were very strong restrictions on women and not even all men could perform them. It is a question of adapting e.g having a short 20 minute play at a burial or wedding ceremony instead of or as well as a comedian can help to encourage young kids

Live performance is the real test of acting and was a big thing in the SW in the 50s and 60s but also was big in Port Harcourt and Benin which has influenced Asaba

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by aribisala0(m): 9:35pm On Apr 26, 2022
Afonjakid:

Can you explain more on this
I think I was wrong and you were right
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by allcomage: 1:08am On Apr 27, 2022
Afonjakid:

As to say Asaba is not Igboland. The lull in film making came about as a result of dstv showing of the films on African magic channels. I remember Emeka ike fought like a man but our government failed them like other sectors. Igbo dominated nollywood was a multi billion industry at their peak but piracy did it in. Most og the players moved into other businesses like real estate industry. If not how can Ghana which has one fifth of Nigeria population be selling films more than Nigeria? Piracy law in ghana stipulates 8 to 15 years term and they are serious about it both
government and operations. Ok how is football league fairing in Nigeria? Is ss and sw doing any better? Don't gloat over anything, every thing is collapseing everywhere. Sit@home started ending of last year ,did it also cause power outages that people don't have light like some sometimes for weeks ? Is Sit@home the cause of millions of refugees in camps in the North and those Yoruba in refugee camps in Benin Republic?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 1:58am On Apr 27, 2022
allcomage:

As to say Asaba is not Igboland. The lull in film making came about as a result of dstv showing of the films on African magic channels. I remember Emeka ike fought like a man but our government failed them like other sectors. Igbo dominated nollywood was a multi billion industry at their peak but piracy did it in. Most og the players moved into other businesses like real estate industry. If not how can Ghana which has one fifth of Nigeria population be selling films more than Nigeria? Piracy law in ghana stipulates 8 to 15 years term and they are serious about it both
government and operations. Ok how is football league fairing in Nigeria? Is ss and sw doing any better? Don't gloat over anything, every thing is collapseing everywhere. Sit@home started ending of last year ,did it also cause power outages that people don't have light like some sometimes for weeks ? Is Sit@home the cause of millions of refugees in camps in the North and those Yoruba in refugee camps in Benin Republic?
Nice comment.
But please I have to say this.
My post have nothing to do with south east sit at home..
I'm just trying to allert our people of what has been gradually happening for a very long time now..
It began to notice it in 2014.
So please let keep IPOB out of this.(I don't want to discuss it on this thread).
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Transcriber: 2:20am On Apr 27, 2022
Lol
The country is gone to the dogs and you're talking about trashy Nollywood.
I can count the number(not up to 5) of Nigerian movies I successfully watched from beginning to end.
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by dasparrow: 2:25am On Apr 27, 2022
Waneri:
The future is bleeding.

With the way Nigeria is going, there may not be a Nigeria few years down the line. You are here talking about entertainment while fulani jihadists are conquering territories within Nigeria one location at a time. Nigerians cannot travel from point A to point B without the risk of getting kidnapped. Nigeria right now is already a conquered territory. I guess you don't realize it because fulani have not come knocking at your door in the cities. Watch and see how insecurity progresses as the months roll by.
Re: Nollywood And The South East. by Nobody: 2:51am On Apr 27, 2022
dasparrow:

With the way Nigeria is going, there may not be a Nigeria few years down the line. You are here talking about entertainment while fulani jihadists are conquering territories within Nigeria one location at a time. Nigerians cannot travel from point A to point B without the risk of getting kidnapped. Nigeria right now is already a conquered territory. I guess you don't realize it because fulani have not come knocking at your door in the cities. Watch and see how insecurity progresses as the months roll by.

I have heard you.
But please stop. My post have got nothing to do with the unfortunate state Nigeria is.
Neither does it have anything to do with IPOB or sit at home. If I want to discuss that, which I'm not going to, I will open a thread for it.
Note: I'm not a fan of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just As I Said Earlier, The Afonja Are Now Blaming IPOB/ESN For The Owo Massacre / Will Obasanjos Support For Peter Obi Have Impact? / Tinubu And His Supporters Fear Of The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.