Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,884 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? (1381 Views)

Dele Momodu: Enough Of The Blame Game And Paranoia Of Buhari’s Cabinet / Court Orders T.B. Joshua To Testify On Nov. 5 Over Synagogue Building Collapse / Scores Dead As Building Collapse In Synagogue Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by geosegun(m): 1:47pm On Jul 09, 2011
About 4 professions are involved in the construction of civil engineering structures such as buildings, bridges, roads and platforms. these include but not limited to

1. Geologists (for not making themselves relevant enough in the built industry)

2. Civil engineers (for believing that they''too'' know about the subsurface as well and tendencies to pocket the whole money

3. Builders who think they cant be controlled and not ready to take advice from civil engineers

4. Geotechnical engineers who, like geologist, are not well known and are always in the background

5. Government policies and ignorance

Please try as much as possible to make a meaningful contribution and no name calling please!!! cool cool
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by BABE3: 2:16pm On Jul 09, 2011
Every one of them. Reasons: you already stated them.
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by geosegun(m): 2:46pm On Jul 09, 2011
@ babe;
But each profession does not want to believe that.
I hope civil engineers ant others are in the house to defend their greed tendencies.
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by Dede1(m): 3:58pm On Jul 09, 2011
geosegun:

About 4 professions are involved in the construction of civil engineering structures such as buildings, bridges, roads and platforms. these include but not limited to

1. Geologists (for not making themselves relevant enough in the built industry)

2. Civil engineers (for believing that they''too'' know about the subsurface as well and tendencies to pocket the whole money

3. Builders who think they cant be controlled and not ready to take advice from civil engineers

4. Geotechnical engineers who, like geologist, are not well known and are always in the background

5. Government policies and ignorance

Please try as much as possible to make a meaningful contribution and no name calling please!!! cool cool

You got it all wrong. You started on the left field with geologist. I doubt if geologist designs or builds anything. Civil (structural, geotechnical, transport and water), Mechanical and Electrical engineers design according to universal or individual specifications. Most of the structural flaws or failures are due to contractors and field technicians who are bent on maximizing profit by using counterfeited materials.
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by geosegun(m): 4:58pm On Jul 09, 2011
Dede1:

You got it all wrong. You started on the left field with geologist. I doubt if geologist designs or builds anything. Civil (structural, geotechnical, transport and water), Mechanical and Electrical engineers design according to universal or individual specifications. Most of the structural flaws or failures are due to contractors and field technicians who are bent on maximizing profit by using counterfeited materials. 

There you are! I bet you. Geologist don't design structures, but geologists know the strenght/bearing capacities on which most engineering loads are placed. Without adequate subsoil investigation, i bet yuo the building will collapse. most people see what is happening at the surface but they never bothered to to know wat is happening within. Differential settlement due to weak laters causes shrinking hence collpase.

besides must of the material use especially granite are rech in weak minerals which easily weathers hence having very low shear strenght. indepth analysis of this and many more are the major cause of nigeria's under development. we seems to seen things at the outside not bothering about what is actually happening inside.

Until subsurface is taken to be important. we will continue to get it all wrong in the built industry cry cry cry
I can go on and on. I bet you are wrong on this one. grin grin grin
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by EuroMeko(m): 5:22pm On Jul 09, 2011
GeoSegun is absolutely right.

The first thing is for soil analysis to be done.

You can build a house on silt, sand, rock, etc but they Geo will prepare the study and then the Architect designs the structure based on additional reports from other engineers.

The same principles exist in the auto industry.

One issue I think in Nigeria is that houses are mostly built on an individual basis. In the US, as an example, the city would have plated the entire city and did this analysis and already have reports available showing what the substrate is for a particular neighborhood. This is how they can quickly decide if a permit is being sought for a house in a flood zone or when you sek a permit for a well they can quickly deny it if it's near the water table or not.

We have a long way to go in Nigeria. It's a shame as we have very qualified and well studied Nigerian professionals but greed na wa o.
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by struguru: 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2011
Let me come in here as a professional cool.
The people involved in the building of a structure depends on the type of structure to be built. In general, the professionals you will find in a large building project are:
1. Architect
2. Civil Engineer
3. Structural Engineer (Who could also be a civil Engr.)
4. Geotechnical Engineer (Could also be a Civil Engr.)

5. Mechanical Engineer
6. Electrical Engineer
7. Geologist (only required for very large projects and plays more of a supporting role to the geotechnical Engr. He cannot replace a Geotechnical Engr. as far as buildings are concerned)
8. Surveyors
9. Builders (Technicians)
10. Other support professionals who do not play technical roles (Accountant, Lawyer, etc)

For an average building project, you need just the Architect (ARCON registered), structural / geotechnical engr. (COREN registered), surveyor and builder.
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by geosegun(m): 11:11pm On Jul 09, 2011
stru_guru:

Let me come in here as a professional cool.
The people involved in the building of a structure depends on the type of structure to be built. In general, the professionals you will find in a large building project are:
1. Architect
2. Civil Engineer
3. Structural Engineer (Who could also be a civil Engr.)
4. Geotechnical Engineer (Could also be a Civil Engr.)

5. Mechanical Engineer
6. Electrical Engineer
7. Geologist (only required for very large projects and plays more of a supporting role to the geotechnical Engr. He cannot replace a Geotechnical Engr. as far as buildings are concerned)
8. Surveyors
9. Builders (Technicians)
10. Other support professionals who do not play technical roles (Accountant, Lawyer, etc)

For an average building project, you need just the Architect (ARCON registered), structural / geotechnical engr. (COREN registered), surveyor and builder.

Every project no matter how small requires the contribution of a geologist. What does a geotechnical know about the subsurface
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by asorocker: 2:44pm On Jul 10, 2011
The civil Engineering curriculum from university of ibadan , lasu and unilag where the bulk of civil engineers who work in lagos and the SW need to be checked. Poor acaedemic standards is manifesting itselt. Let's stop beating about the bush, you could be their nexting victim.

There are 4 coastal cities in nigeria , lagos , PH, warri, calabar , how come lagos only looses so many buildings every year and has the worst water drainage in the south, if not because of the incompetence of SW/yoruba civil engineers.
Until this is checked it will keep occuring.
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by Dede1(m): 2:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
geosegun:

There you are! I bet you. Geologist don't design structures, but geologists know the strenght/bearing capacities on which most engineering loads are placed. Without adequate subsoil investigation, i bet yuo the building will collapse. most people see what is happening at the surface but they never bothered to to know wat is happening within. Differential settlement due to weak laters causes shrinking hence collpase.

besides must of the material use especially granite are rech in weak minerals which easily weathers hence having very low shear strenght. indepth analysis of this and many more are the major cause of nigeria's under development. we seems to seen things at the outside not bothering about what is actually happening inside.

Until subsurface is taken to be important. we will continue to get it all wrong in the built industry cry cry cry
I can go on and on. I bet you are wrong on this one. grin grin grin

If you are dealing with mining of gold, cool, silver, crude oil or the study of earth formation, you can seek the help of geologist. As for strength and quality of soil to situate a structure, all you need is geotechnical (Civil Engineer) who has to conduct the study of soil sample including the compression strength of compacted quantity.
Re: Building Collapse! Who Is To Blame? by Dede1(m): 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2011
geosegun:

[/b]

Every project no matter how small requires the contribution of a geologist. What does a geotechnical know about the subsurface

A geotechnical engineer is not concerned with mineral resources or forms of earth formation. Its main concern is compression strength of soil about the targeted area to situate structure whether subterranean or not.

(1) (Reply)

Revisiting Bakare's Visit To Gej: The $50,000 Bribe And 7-year Term Agenda / Why I Want To Be Lagos Councilor –oby Okafor / Governor Uduaghan - I'm Not Ready To Construct Good Road For Udu/ughievwen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.