Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,907 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver (8817 Views)

FG Dumps N16 Trillion Railway Projects For N2.6trn Lagos-calabar Coastal Road —I / Nigeria Will Remain In Darkness Except FG Pays Our N1.6trn – GENCOS / RCCG Apologises To Fashola, Ministry Over Petition On Ife-Ifewara Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by powerfulguy: 9:44am On Apr 27, 2022
Nigeria’s House of Representatives Committee on Public Accounts has vowed to ensure that the 2.6 trillion naira capital allowances granted to MTN Nigeria by the Federal Ministry of Trade and Industry is properly accounted for.

Chairman of the Committee, Oluwole Oke while speaking on Tuesday at the resumed investigative hearing into the audit queries issued by the Auditor General of the Federation on tax evasion disclosed that documents relating to the 2.6 trillion naira capital allowances were allegedly forged.

The Committee explained that the invitation extended to MTN over the tax evasion allegations were ignored stressing that the Auditor General’s report indicated that the Federal Inland Revenue Service gave value to some of the telecommunications company dealings without certificates and evidence of capital allowance meant to be issued by the Federal Ministry of Trade and Industry.

The Committee’s Chairman maintained that Nigerians are entitled to know the implications of MTN taking a 2.6 trillion naira tax waivers certificate at the detriment of the country’s economy.

General Manager, MTN group, Yemisi Adeleye who represented the telecommunications company at the hearing explained that it has submitted all relevant documents issued by the Federal Ministry of Trade and Industry reflecting the value of 2.6 trillion naira tax waiver.

Adeleye further explained that the Federal Ministry of Trade and Industry and the Federal Inland Revenue Service granted the allowances using various supporting documents.

The Committee disagreed with the company’s presentation and vowed to ascertain if the involvement of some Ministry officials were professional and patriotic stressing that the parliament cannot allow abuse of the country’s laws by people whose salaries and allowances were appropriated to prevent such loopholes.

The committee requested all officials involved in the transaction from the Federal Ministry of Trade and Industry and the Federal Inland Revenue Service to appear before it with inspection details and records of tax covering the periods under review from both MTN and FIRS for further legislative action.
https://ait.live/tax-evasion-reps-summon-trade-ministry-over-mtn-2-6trn-naira-waiver/
Mynd44
Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Parachoko: 9:53am On Apr 27, 2022
That's a lot of money

Even with all this tax waiver, MTN data price is still expensive.

When will Google and starlink start operating in Nigeria sef

13 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by DarkCaesar(m): 10:09am On Apr 27, 2022
I really don’t understand our inferiority complex dealing with this outsiders……they pile misery on us with their high cost of service and still deliver below par or give less than we ought to have meanwhile we still feel obligated to treat them with utmost respect which we do not give our own.
This is a failed nation and MTN is simply a white elephant

11 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Brendaniel: 10:09am On Apr 27, 2022
2.6 trillion tax waiver and Buhari is still borrowing money to give disaster minister to feed imaginary children that me personally I have searched for to see the beneficiaries of the school feeding, till date I have not heard or seen...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by SEONumeroUno: 10:10am On Apr 27, 2022
Massive corruption going on in this administration.

Naturally, Nigerians are not patriotic; we believe in "what favours me" first before the collective good of the nation.

Therefore, it is easy for the minister and his director to collect N50 billion from MTN and grant them the waiver,that would benefit the entire nation. Win-Win for MTN.

It is that thinking that allows a police officer or NDLEA agents et al, to free a suspect who has bribed them. The mentality of "if I carry am go office, na ogas them go chop the money" has destroyed Nigeria.

So sad

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Kizyte(m): 10:10am On Apr 27, 2022
I just dey wait for the Google undersea cable Equiano project to complete, I go dump all this service providers wey we get. MTN, GLO, Airtel, 9mobile, and Ntel will come begging me to come back.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 27, 2022
Okay
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by AbuAeesha: 10:11am On Apr 27, 2022
las las
the poor masses will still not benefit if successfully accounted for or not
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by jcross19: 10:12am On Apr 27, 2022
powerfulguy:

https://ait.live/tax-evasion-reps-summon-trade-ministry-over-mtn-2-6trn-naira-waiver/
Mynd44
Lalasticlala
I thought buhari is fighting corruption or corruption is fighting buhari...
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by supereagle(m): 10:13am On Apr 27, 2022
Nigeria cannot get better. There's under hand dealings in the waivers. Think of what you can do for Nigeria and not what Nigeria can do for you.

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by tamdun: 10:13am On Apr 27, 2022
No sane country would let go that huge tax(2.6 trillion) , what exactly is the contribution of mtn to NIG that makes them deserve waiver?

3 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Investorozay: 10:14am On Apr 27, 2022
da fck
2.6 Trillion
how many crooks were bribed for this to fly>?
is mtn tarring roads and building schools and clinics?
that money is crazy huge

4 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Kizyte(m): 10:16am On Apr 27, 2022
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by specialmati(m): 10:17am On Apr 27, 2022
cool Nigeria
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by lexy2014: 10:19am On Apr 27, 2022
Parachoko:
That's a lot of money

That's because the minister of communication isa patanmi is more interested in NIN than ensuring that nigerians get value for using telcom services
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by rexlims(m): 10:22am On Apr 27, 2022
big companies like mtn dont deserve tax waivers cos they are making billions if not trillions of naira from nigerians yearly.
sure they could be given some form of tax reliefs but not waivers.
some top nigerians have been bribed for this to fly and just watch how all of this would cease the moment d rep member his given his own cut.

3 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Parachoko: 10:24am On Apr 27, 2022
lexy2014:

That's because the minister of communication isa patanmi is more interested in NIN than ensuring that nigerians get value for using telcom services
The worst of all nah all this Smile, Swift, Spectranet, Ntel etc. Data speed will be as slow as snail.

I don dey lose hope in this country, I wander why Government officials charge with this responsibilities do not do their job.
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by plataea(f): 10:26am On Apr 27, 2022
can you imagine such a waiver, when am here looking for common 150k to pay shop rent dued for two months now
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 27, 2022
Just imagine, 2.6 trillion naira... And you'll discover the bribe they paid to get the so-called waiver would not be up to 10 billion naira. Meanwhile, Nigerian-owned telecom companies struggle to survive in Nigeria while South Africa-owned MTN is making 1/3 of all its profits from Nigeria alone even though it operates in 20+ countries.

We saw the same happen with 5G too. MTN was the only telecom company to get the 5G license. The other was a so-called Mofab that was quickly formed by people we don't know just to pick up the license. So every other telecom company that needs 5G connectivity needs to sub-license it from Mofab. Sort of makes us wondering what else is happening underneath.

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by poiZon: 10:36am On Apr 27, 2022
Parachoko:
That's a lot of money

When will Google and starlink start operating in Nigeria sef
Where is the Twitter office sef...

Where is lai mohammed sef...

How much has Twitter paid sofar as tax in Nigeria after the unbanment?

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by lexy2014: 10:36am On Apr 27, 2022
Parachoko:
The worst of all nah all this Smile, Swift, Spectranet, Ntel etc. Data speed will be as slow as snail.

I don dey lose hope in this country, I wander why Government officials charge with this responsibilities do not do their job.

Wow...it's a pity. I even thought that those ones where much better than glo, Airtel and MTN. The government doesn't care. They enjoy alot of perks which they don't pay for so nothing bothers them. Like I said patanmi is chasing his personal agenda which is NIN. How NIN will make us have better telcom service is what I can't comprehend. If the man was obsessed with making telcos better the way he is obsessed with NIN, we would have been smiling

2 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by poiZon: 10:38am On Apr 27, 2022
Kizyte:
I just dey wait for the Google undersea cable Equiano project to complete, I go dump all this service providers wey we get, MTN, GLO, Airtel, 9mobile, and Ntel will come begging me to come back.
What if mtn buys over the running of the cable.
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by LaconicINC: 10:42am On Apr 27, 2022
Noise makers! Nothing will happen!
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by BeardGangJnr1(m): 10:44am On Apr 27, 2022
It is finished undecided
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Yankee101: 10:48am On Apr 27, 2022
Wow!

You have a budget of 10trn and you're giving up to a quarter of it as waiver to just one company!

How much dem bribe una?
Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Okhuadams(m): 10:50am On Apr 27, 2022
powerfulguy:

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Even in our own country Dem dey do us wayo, with the help of Nigeria workers, and those in there board and we can't try this in there country

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver by Nackzy: 10:51am On Apr 27, 2022
They've been bribed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight / Your View On Oduduwa Radio, BBC Hausa And Radio Biafra. PICTURE. / Ife Crisis Has No Link To Ethnicity – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.