Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action (3506 Views)

FG Investigates AI's Allegations Against Military / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? / S’east, S’south Leaders Warn Against Military Coup! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by EzeUche(m): 3:34pm On Jul 12, 2011
Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action

Benin — A member of the House of Representatives, Rasaq Bello-Osagie has warned as employing military action to tackle the Boko Haram sect.

Speaking in Benin, at the weekend, he called for investment in intelligence gathering, saying that would be able to tackle the problem posed by the group.

Bello-Osagie, who represents Oredo federal constituency at the House of Representatives, described the issue as very sensitive, and added that military action as being proposed by certain groups, would not solve the problem, but would rather escalate it.

"I think the country should invest in intelligence gathering. We need information, it is not at all times that we should revert to military action.

I think that if we can know the people, know where they are through superior intelligence gathering, we will know how to engage them.

It is a sensitive matter. For now, it is like we are fighting the fifth columnist, we don't know the faces of those we are fighting, all we hear is that people are being killed," he said.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201107121033.html
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by DeCleff(m): 1:29am On Jul 13, 2011
EzeUche:

Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action

Benin — A member of the House of Representatives, Rasaq Bello-Osagie has warned as employing military action to tackle the Boko Haram sect.

Speaking in Benin, at the weekend, he called for investment in intelligence gathering, saying that would be able to tackle the problem posed by the group.

Bello-Osagie, who represents Oredo federal constituency at the House of Representatives, described the issue as very sensitive, and added that military action as being proposed by certain groups, would not solve the problem, but would rather escalate it.

"I think the country should invest in intelligence gathering. We need information, it is not at all times that we should revert to military action.

I think that if we can know the people, know where they are through superior intelligence gathering, we will know how to engage them.

It is a sensitive matter. For now, it is like we are fighting the fifth columnist, we don't know the faces of those we are fighting, all we hear is that people are being killed," he said.

yes what the country needs is to improve it's inteligence. I also think that is high for our security angencies to step up and do things like the CIA and FBI, They should send some of their intel officer to join the sect and get information on how they operate, because its impossible to track them down if their strategies remained veiled. Let them intel men go and join them ( boko haram) to report relevant informations to the authorities to help in bringing these deadly acts to a stand still. Let the army, navy, airforce, police and sss seat down watch the film titled 24hours information, it is not at all times that we should revert to military action.

[quote][/quote] yes what the country needs is to improve it's inteligence. I also think that is high for our security angencies to step up and do things like the CIA and FBI, They should send some of their intel officer to join the sect and get information on how they operate, because its impossible to track them down if their strategies remained veiled. Let them intel men go and join them ( boko haram) to report relevant informations to the authorities to help in bringing these deadly acts to a stand still. Let the army, navy, airforce, police and sss seat down watch the film titled 24hours
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by Rich4god(m): 3:07am On Jul 13, 2011
the real challenge there is that Nigeria security forces/agents are under staffed compared to the population. Apart from the boko haram issue, the govt need to employ more people (with intense training), Left for me the NPF is suppose to have a work force of 20 million i.e 10% of the population,
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by tpia5: 3:21am On Jul 13, 2011
obviously nigeria needs to have some form of cooperation with her neighbours anytime there's militancy anywhere.

because quite obviously much of this is being planned from outside.

for boko haram, look to whichever countries are bordering that area. Chances are they know something about what's going on.

i trust oyibos- try this kind of nonsense where they are and see how they'll respond.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by koruji(m): 7:55am On Jul 13, 2011
[size=14pt]When a group of people are blowing things up all over the place you have no choice than to take police/military action against them.[/size]

I don't know why our administrators like to talk about dire national issues like they are living in another world. "Intelligence gathering" is what you do when a group is still developing and planning, not when they have built bmbs and marked out targets.

If our lawmakers are not focused on dividing the loot in Abuja they would have given this advice, and in fact see that it was implemented, before Boko Haram developed into a malignant cancer.

At this point, intelligence gathering or "deep intelligence" (according to OBJ - whatever that means) is yesterday's solution. Once BH's deadly violence is contained this time around our security system needs to undergo a serious overhaul - including an emphasis on intelligence gatering. Intelligence gathering is not SSS looking on the pages of newspapers and arresting journalists or opinion writers grin grin grin

I hope someone doesn't suggest the FG apologizes to BH.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by CuteTj(m): 8:18am On Jul 13, 2011
These lawmakers are afraid because after Boko Haram is done with Borno State, Abuja is next and the National Assembly wont survive BH's onslaught. Abeg make Jonathan go rent King Leonidas with is 300 men and Spartacus. Na real blood we go see this time no be fake!! LOL
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by agitator: 8:55am On Jul 13, 2011
everybody was supporting OBJ for leveling Odi, Zakibiam, etc, and accusing GEJ for being slow, now he has sent in the military people know have mouth to talk.

I never wanted the guy to be presido but these set him up attitude can never help us.

If it was OBJ! if it was OBJ!

Now OBJ tactics are employed and everybody is crying foul.

You think any government can infiltrate a group in 1-month and you get results.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by sirjec(m): 9:13am On Jul 13, 2011
Our security agencies lack guts to stop this and they think it is the president that will do their job.They should look at other countries and see how other security agencies work. As far as I am concern, the securities should monitor all the communications in that area and track these guys down. These are simple things to do.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 13, 2011
[size=15pt]The lawmaker is right. [/size]
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by ocelot2006(m): 10:39am On Jul 13, 2011
DeCleff:

yes what the country needs is to improve it's inteligence. I also think that is high for our security angencies to step up and do things like the CIA and FBI, They should send some of their intel officer to join the sect and get information on how they operate, because its impossible to track them down if their strategies remained veiled. Let them intel men go and join them ( boko haram) to report relevant informations to the authorities to help in bringing these deadly acts to a stand still. Let the army, navy, airforce, police and sss seat down watch the film titled 24hours information, it is not at all times that we should revert to military action.

yes what the country needs is to improve it's inteligence. I also think that is high for our security angencies to step up and do things like the CIA and FBI, They should send some of their intel officer to join the sect and get information on how they operate, because its impossible to track them down if their strategies remained veiled. Let them intel men go and join them ( boko haram) to report relevant informations to the authorities to help in bringing these deadly acts to a stand still. Let the army, navy, airforce, police and sss seat down watch the film titled 24hours

Dude, the DSS/SSS, NIA, Police IB, and DIA have been in the business of Human Intelligence (HUMINT) and Signal Intelligence (SIGINT) for quite a while now, just like their fellow foreign intelligence counterparts. It's their bread and butter. SSS operators in particular has been responsible for the infiltration of most deadly groups, including Boko Haram, within the country and covertly collected intelligence on key players, financiers, supply routes, etc; intel that lead to the neutralization of such groups or their key players. Now I know that there's always room for improvement, particularly in utilizing ELINT/SIGINT assets, but i think the problem here is intel sharing between the services and utilization of acquired intel, particularly by operational units like the Police MOPOL, Police Anti-Terror Squadron (ATS), and the military.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by baslone: 10:44am On Jul 13, 2011
agitator:

everybody was supporting OBJ for leveling Odi, Zakibiam, etc, and accusing GEJ for being slow, now he has sent in the military people know have mouth to talk.

I never wanted the guy to be presido but these set him up attitude can never help us.

If it was OBJ! if it was OBJ!

Now OBJ tactics are employed and everybody is crying foul.

You think any government can infiltrate a group in 1-month and you get results.

Too kill innocent people!!! shocked
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by Nyntynplus: 11:08am On Jul 13, 2011
And dtz d truth, d military alone can nt takle any terrorist act witout d hlp of inteligence by spyin nd gatherin uzeful info otherwize dey wil treathnin inocient ppl,
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by Pennywise(m): 1:01pm On Jul 13, 2011
This lawmaker Rasaq Bello-Osagie should be arrested and a thorough investigation conducted on him and the widely held speculation that BH gets support from Nigerians occupying high office.

His statement as a public official is capable of splitting the military with catastrophic consequence for national security. If the military succeded in stamping out the menace of maitatsine what stops it from doin the same thing with another fundamentalist public nuisance?

In the meantime, the Government should enforce a news blackout for the duration of military action on BH.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by aikuda(m): 2:59pm On Jul 13, 2011
@Pennywise
you have no idea what you are talking about!
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by Pennywise(m): 3:58pm On Jul 13, 2011
While the military proceeds with its cleansing, every responsible person on NL should consider it a duty to name and shame all misguarded  Boko Haram apologists in this forum.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by aikuda(m): 4:09pm On Jul 13, 2011
I don't hear the lawmaker apologising for Boko Haram. He said we need proper intelligence to fight them because of their tactics instead of using tanks and machines guns to shoot at anything (as i assume people are clamoring for here).

How do you fight people you cannot yet identify with machine guns and military tanks? We need a strategy to identify them and their sponsors and then deal with them according to the law of the land.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by Pennywise(m): 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2011
@aikuda- Apologist means an active supporter. Are u one of those heady sec school boys on this forum? That statement refers to you as an apologist and not the lawmaker. Ode.

Secondly the military has its own intelligence and reconnaisance arm. I dont believe they are going to put the lives of their troops at risk by leaving this important component behind!!
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by moshmusth(m): 4:55pm On Jul 13, 2011
You are totally wrong mr lawmaker, that should be the last resort send
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by master2(m): 5:22pm On Jul 13, 2011
Pennywise:

This lawmaker Rasaq Bello-Osagie should be arrested and a thorough investigation conducted on him and the widely held speculation that BH gets support from Nigerians occupying high office.

His statement as a public official is capable of splitting the military with catastrophic consequence for national security. If the military succeded in stamping out the menace of maitatsine what stops it from doin the same thing with another fundamentalist public nuisance?

In the meantime, the Government should enforce a news blackout for the duration of military action on BH.
No mind the yeye lawmaker. We should wait for boko harem to finish us while waiting for intelligence gathering that will take a decade (u know hw Nigerian does things)? The level this boko haram issue is now the best way of defence is to attack.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by moshmusth(m): 5:31pm On Jul 13, 2011
Sending troops at the detriment of innocent lives and properties should be a concern for the Nass and FG, these people are not terrorist they just want to be heard like the other group( MASSOB,MEND and OPC), the Boko Haram have nothing to loose because they are fully committed to their cause. the FG,northern religion,traditional and political respected Leaders shoudl stage a negotiation with the Boko haram then we can go from there,
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by 2mch(m): 5:37pm On Jul 13, 2011
This is the only type of action they understand undecided

http://youtube/maW-GQuKl60
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by namfav(m): 5:57pm On Jul 13, 2011
it would even be really stoopid to consider even sending troops in maiduguri or anywhere else, fg should just accept dialouge
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by maasoap(m): 6:29pm On Jul 13, 2011
@pennywise, you want a news blackout for the period that the military will use there? This means that you're worse than than the Boko Haram. You're indirectly calling for crime against humanity or simply put as genocide by Nigerian military in an effort to stamp out BK. You will be worse than Assad of Syria.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by aikuda(m): 7:01pm On Jul 13, 2011
@Pennywise,
If you are not stup.id, you would have known that I used the term "apologizing" in the same context/way that you used the word "apologist". Who is the Sec School boyish here now? double ode.

As @Maasoap intelligently asked you. Do you want to the government commit genocide because Boko Haram that is probably represented by a very few people?

How does  the military having intelligence wing and reconnaissance means they must already have the intelligence to fish out a faceless guerrilla group? Do you see you ignorant you sound?
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by sley4life(m): 7:21pm On Jul 13, 2011
even the present army in Borno arent solving issues. Boko are bombing day in day out
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by Chongaiman: 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2011
That lawmaker politician seems to be ignorant on the workings of the military who would never have moved in without due intelligence. Was it not a politician like him that enabled BH to flourish to the extent of being a national menace? For a group which sees even education as a taboo, I wonder why any right-thinking person would contemplate a dialogue. Those guys have the same (or worse) reasoning with the Taliban. Those advocating for dialogue could give us leadership by example.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by executinal(m): 9:25pm On Jul 13, 2011
Allow the military to do their job, civilian should evacuate the Territory with immediate effect.
Re: Boko Haram - Lawmaker Warns Against Military Action by eewule(m): 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2011
Military option is not applicable as YOU CANNOT FIGHT WHO YOU CANNOT SEE (THEY CURRENTLY HAVE NO IDENTITY)
A tactical approach of cutting-off their financial supply will instantly destroy the "Broke" haram group -who are obviously sourced by some (ex)politicians

(1) (Reply)

Christmas Day Bomb Blast: No Mass Burial For Victims / Igbo Community Roots For Ambode Candidature (picture) / Is Nigeria Really Broke? November Salary Not Yet Paid in some Agencies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.