Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,089 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity (399 Views)

Reno Omokri: Comparing Obi's Tenure To Tinubu's Is Like Night And Day / Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month / Ex Governor Obiano's Achievements In All Sectors During His Tenure (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by toliba1(m): 6:09pm On May 10, 2022
Robert Clarke, senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), says the Nigerian constitution allows President Muhammadu Buhari to extend his tenure in order to tackle the country’s security challenges.

Clarke spoke when he featured on Arise Television’s morning show on Monday.

Speaking on the future of Nigeria and if the country is on the right track, Clarke said since 1999, Nigeria has had the worst form of government.

He said with the myriad of security challenges, Nigeria may not have a good election year.

He said if insecurity makes it impossible for the 2023 elections to take place, the constitution provides that the president can extend his tenure by six months, in the first instance, to fix things.

He, however, said with the way things are, he does not think six months is enough to win the war against insecurity.

He said the alternative is for Buhari to continue as president until the country becomes stable.

“I am 84 years old, and I can assure you I’ve had the best time in my life, both in my legal practice, in my social life, in every aspect of life, but I can assure you, that those days are gone by. Since 1999, I have not been a happy man, the way and manner Nigeria has been moved,” Clarke said.

“For instance, look at our first president, Obasanjo with due respect. What was the first negative act he did? ‘I want a third term’. Can you imagine? But he says, ‘oh, it’s not me who wants it, is my friend who is asking me to go for a third term’. That is how we started the 1999 constitution by looking for loopholes to breach the constitution.

“The only consolation is that the constitution provides that the president can stay longer than eight years. I’ve always said it. It is in the constitution.

“If the situation in which we are in now continues, and it is impossible to hold the 2023 election, the constitution says if a situation persists, the president will tell INEC in view of all insurgencies, in view of kidnappings, in view of Boko Haram, I don’t think in these different areas of Nigeria, we can have a good election.

“I am 84 years old, and I can assure you I’ve had the best time in my life, both in my legal practice, in my social life, in every aspect of life, but I can assure you, that those days are gone by. Since 1999, I have not been a happy man, the way and manner Nigeria has been moved,” Clarke said.

“For instance, look at our first president, Obasanjo with due respect. What was the first negative act he did? ‘I want a third term’. Can you imagine? But he says, ‘oh, it’s not me who wants it, is my friend who is asking me to go for a third term’. That is how we started the 1999 constitution by looking for loopholes to breach the constitution.

“The only consolation is that the constitution provides that the president can stay longer than eight years. I’ve always said it. It is in the constitution.

“If the situation in which we are in now continues, and it is impossible to hold the 2023 election, the constitution says if a situation persists, the president will tell INEC in view of all insurgencies, in view of kidnappings, in view of Boko Haram, I don’t think in these different areas of Nigeria, we can have a good election.

https://www.thecable.ng/san-constitution-allows-buhari-to-extend-his-tenure-to-tackle-insecurity/amp?fbclid=IwAR3QKEh9GcGKk_2E2N7JnTxhoPknPvidIhpXi1GjOOp9zzd9cEvn-m4DSq4
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by endsarrrs(f): 6:11pm On May 10, 2022
grin

This man want to see his own children perish finally under Buharii o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by Cubalabloo(m): 6:11pm On May 10, 2022
May God punish that idiot of a SAN for echoing such disastrous nonesense,

1 Like

Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by Freshwhyte(m): 6:13pm On May 10, 2022
Ya papa
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by TheTrueSeeker2: 6:15pm On May 10, 2022
In the first place, one would wonder why a president like PMB has not been impeached by the NASS for failing to fix insecurity for the past almost 8years in office. If he was so dumb as to do anything in 8 years, is it six months he will do anything?

With a PMB even if the constitution gives him more 16 years in office nothing will still change.

Nigerians would prefer the insecurity to remain than to allow PMB to remain in office.

Nonsense...!!!
When we heard the song while growing up in the 1980's "Buhari, pack your load...!!!"

We now know and have seen why...!!!

1 Like

Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by Peterobiisathie(f): 6:18pm On May 10, 2022
Ipob lawyer on the beat
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by Kingspin(m): 6:27pm On May 10, 2022
Any constitution that allows extending the tenure of the Buhari led government is a madman constitution.
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by Urheadmaster(m): 6:40pm On May 10, 2022
Cubalabloo:
May God punish that idiot of a SAN for echoing such disastrous nonesense,
He could be right after all undecided

8 years in power as a Nigeria president is very short to end terrorism and bandits in Nigeria tongue undecided
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by StaffofOrayan(m): 6:41pm On May 10, 2022
There is this inexplicable link between Southern Nigeria and love for slavery!!
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by jyz200(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2022
Impossible
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by Cubalabloo(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2022
Urheadmaster:
He could be right after all undecided

8 years in power as a Nigeria president is very short to end terrorism and bandits in Nigeria tongue undecided
what an irony!
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by ljoh: 7:00pm On May 10, 2022
Is Buhari fighting insecurity?

ASUU is still striking
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by Dmano: 7:22pm On May 10, 2022
Who gave these man SAN title ?
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by AntiBMC(m): 7:24pm On May 10, 2022
Is this playing?
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by orisa37: 8:36pm On May 10, 2022
USELESS THREAD.
WE ARE NOW AT THE ANARCHY RUNG OF RIFA-FOR-FC.
THEREFORE BUHARI CAN EXTEND HIS REIGN INDEFINITELY.
Re: SAN: Constitution Allows Buhari To Extend His Tenure To Tackle Insecurity by orisa37: 2:36pm On May 12, 2022
COMMON LAW PERMITS NATURAL JUSTICE AND CONVENTIONS TO PREVAIL IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, SO PLEASE DO NOT INCRIMINATE MR. PRESIDENT BY YOUR CABAL SENSE.

(1) (Reply)

Watch Arise TV Anchor, Reuben Abati And APGA Chair, Victor Oye, Clash On TV / Congratulations Atiku Abubakar, Our Next President Come 2023 / 2023: APC Chieftains Finger Osinbajo As Party’s Best Bet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.