Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? (20382 Views)

Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by EdoBoy90(m): 3:26pm On Aug 09, 2016
Thermostat
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by snipesdam(m): 8:32am On Aug 10, 2016
The Only Reason I would advise you to remove your thermostat is if you consistently experience Over Heating (In traffic). My Uncle bought a BMW 5 series engine performance is awesome. Fuel Economy is great, But don't ever try to find yourself in traffic even for just 10 mins. The temperature goes off the roof. The lasting solution was to yank of the thermostat.

Yanking it off and leaving it on for me all depends on how your engine temperature reacts on different moods.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by honmusa(m): 2:59pm On Aug 10, 2016
snipesdam:
The Only Reason I would advise you to remove your thermostat is if you consistently experience Over Heating (In traffic). My Uncle bought a BMW 5 series engine performance is awesome. Fuel Economy is great, But don't ever try to find yourself in traffic even for just 10 mins. The temperature goes off the roof. The lasting solution was to yank of the thermostat.

Yanking it off and leaving it on for me all depends on how your engine temperature reacts on different moods.
Why do we still have people that refuse to leave behind the dark ages of Kazeem approach to issue and embrace scientific reasoning and analysis.
No wonder ,Siena has to leave Nairaland.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by timenamoney: 1:12am On Sep 26, 2020
the only unrecommended advantage is because of the use of a thicker engine oil like 20w50 in a Toyota Camry instead of a 5w30 , the 20w is ok at start up in Nigeria where temperature is 20+ degree but the 50w at 100 degree will be too thick to lubricate the engine properly create more dragging from the oil pump to supply oils and and consume more power and fuel , so if someone must remove a themostat make sure use 50/50 distilled water(not pap water oo) and coolant and set the fans to blow always that will stop the engine oil to reaching it operating temperature which 100 degree which the themostat would have coursed rather the temperature will merely reach 40 to 50 degree and the oil thickness may be 30w ,35w , this is for those who don't believe in themostat

but please note that there's a conception that if the coolant temperature sensor don't send signal to the ECU that the engine temperature is up to 100 degree + , the ECU will not allow the O2 sensor and air/fuel sensor to calculate minimize the air/fuel ratio so that the injectors will spray less fuel called (close loop), which may exist or not but that what my untested research said

the damages said to take place when the engine operate in lower temperature is tha the engine operate in ( close loop or more fuel) always, is flooding the celinder with excess fuel which will contaminate the engine oil , create carbon deposit, and gradually destroy the catalyst converter , which is more expensive damages compared to #1k or 2k for replaced themostat and recommended engine oil weight

cheers
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by Baba40(f): 2:49am On Sep 26, 2020
Very educative thread...
How much will it cost me to return my car to factory setting? My thermostat is present but it was disconnected when my previous engine was having overheating problem
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by timenamoney: 7:54am On Sep 27, 2020
Baba40:
Very educative thread...
How much will it cost me to return my car to factory setting? My thermostat is present but it was disconnected when my previous engine was having overheating problem
#1k or 2k for themostat and a mechanic or rewire that will set it to blow when it's 100 degree, I don't know what you mean by over heating, do note that the arrow in the temperature gauge should be at the middle point

for those who don't believe in themostat or have removed it , just let the fan blow in factory way not always , but it will take longer to reach the middle before the fan start blowing

cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Three Things Does An Engine Need To Run? / Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit / Flash Back 2006:Mazda Destroyed 4,703 Brand New Cars After Cargo Ship Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.