Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,299 members, 7,822,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? (20395 Views)

Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by capsogiga(m): 12:03pm On Jul 13, 2011
HELLO GUYS.
I USE A TOYOTA HIGHLANDER 2001 MODEL. MY MECHANIC DISCONNECTED THE THERMOSTAT REGULATING ENGINE TEMPERATURE SO THAT , ACCORDING TO HIM, THE COOLANT CAN CIRCULATE UNRESTRICTED. THIS WILL ENSURE THE ENGINE IS COOL ALL THE TIME AS THERMOSTATS ARE NOT NEEDED IN CARS IN THE TROPICS LIKE NIGERIA.
ARE ALL THESE TRUE? SHOULD I CONTINUE TO DRIVE MY VEHICLE WITH THE THERMOSTAT DISCONNECTED?
I BROWSED VARIOUS INTERNET FORUMS AND BECAME MORE CONFUSED AS THERE IS NO CLEAR STRAIGHT-FORWARD ANSWER IN SIMPLE, PLAIN NON-TECHNICAL ENGLISH!!!!!
GUYS PLS HELP !!!!
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by symbianDON(m): 2:30pm On Jul 13, 2011
go and reconnect it asap! your mechanic must a quack to have offered that kind of advice. you may not know it, but the coolant fluid in your car doesn't have any influence on the temperature of your engine as it is just an anti-rust and besides your engine is designed to function optimally at a particular temperature. the thermostat or engine coolant sensor ensures this. disconnecting it will only cause your engine to have a shorter life than intended.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by Fhemmmy: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2011
As the name sound . . . Thermostat, there are some things you dont wanna mess with in a ride and that is one of them.
Like the gentleman rightly said, fast and furiously go and have it reconnected.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by komekn(m): 5:20pm On Jul 13, 2011
From my understanding the thermostat is a regulator with a max. and min. outside operating temperature which usually is about -50c to 50c so a car is not restricted to one climate/ weather type.

If you want to know more ask Sienna.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by capsogiga(m): 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2011
Thanks all.
Sienna kindly shed more light.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by ikeyman00(m): 8:12pm On Jul 18, 2011
@@@@@@@@@

dnt buy that!

i had my honda thermostart taken off right from the set!!

dnt think there is anything wrong with that!

my opinion ooooo if una no mind!!

all that scary talk about taking too much fuel and that are yet to be seen
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by Ikenna351(m): 4:37pm On Jul 19, 2011
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@

dnt buy that!

i had my honda thermostart taken off right from the set!!

dnt think there is anything wrong with that!

my opinion ooooo if una no mind!!

all that scary talk about taking too much fuel and that are yet to be seen

I disagree with you! If a car engine operates at cold tempreature, it consumes more fuel, until it gets to a certain temperature. Engine is not meant to run cold.

The way and manner this clowns that call themselves auto-mechanics and rewires in Nigeria confuse and wrongly advice people is very baffling. The Thermostart & radiator temperature switch control Radiator cooling fan. As the thermostart opens to allow hot coolant to flow back to Radiator via the work of water pump, the radiator temp switch will feel the temperature change in the coolant in the radiator. Then, The radiator switch will switch on the radiator cooloing fan & A/C condenser cooling fan to cool or suck heat from radiator, which cools the coolant while been pumped back to the engine walls, to maintain the normal operating engine temperature. As soon as Thermostart feels the normal temperature in the engine walls, it will close up. The coolant in the engine walls will remain there,while the hot coolant that has been pumped to the radiator will be cooled by the Radiator fan or breeze from the front grille, if the car is in motion. As soon as the temperature of coolant in the radiator comes down to normal, the radiator temp switch will turn off fan, pending when the car becomes stationary and start to heat beyond normal operating temperature, then the whole process will repeat again and again.

Unfortunately, our mechanics will disconnect the radiator switch and connect the fan directly to Ignition switch and disconnect the thermostart. Thereby making radiator cooling fan to permanently run as soon as ignition is on. Thats the more reason why the Electric fan dies often here in peoples car in Nigeria. Running continuously shortens their life span. It shouldnt be running when a car is in motion or on speed. The breeze entering the engine bay via the front grille is enough to keep the engine at a normal temperature.

Please, stay away from those Clowns!! They will kill you before your time.

Ikenna.

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by CLASSMAN: 12:31pm On Jul 20, 2011
capsogiga:

HELLO GUYS.
I USE A TOYOTA HIGHLANDER 2001 MODEL. MY MECHANIC DISCONNECTED THE THERMOSTAT REGULATING ENGINE TEMPERATURE SO THAT , ACCORDING TO HIM, THE COOLANT CAN CIRCULATE UNRESTRICTED. THIS WILL ENSURE THE ENGINE IS COOL ALL THE TIME AS THERMOSTATS ARE NOT NEEDED IN CARS IN THE TROPICS LIKE NIGERIA.
ARE ALL THESE TRUE? SHOULD I CONTINUE TO DRIVE MY VEHICLE WITH THE THERMOSTAT DISCONNECTED?
I BROWSED VARIOUS INTERNET FORUMS AND BECAME MORE CONFUSED AS THERE IS NO CLEAR STRAIGHT-FORWARD ANSWER IN SIMPLE, PLAIN NON-TECHNICAL ENGLISH!!!!!
GUYS PLS HELP !!!!

THANKS GUY
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by myfriend1(m): 4:24pm On May 30, 2012
All these vehicles designers do go extra lenght and they do put some negative and positive factors into consideration concerning their designs whatever they instal in their vehicles it you dare to alter it you might end up cooking that engine. Never for any reason try to remove or alter the thermostat that come with a vehicle. thanks.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by ajealadick(m): 3:58am On Jul 03, 2012
The simple truth is from the design of your car it suppose to run in europe or American and temperature conditions can be below "0' degrees which will make coolant in the cooling system freeze therefore a thermostat to ensure the engine does no start cooling via radiator and fan. the thermostat to allow the coolant in the engine build temperature before cooling (note that not only over heating destroys engine, also overcooling, will wear engines out). You can either drive with your thermostat in the tropics, but beware if it breaksdown it will refuse to open and then your car becomes a guinea pig for our mechanics. no car or truck has ever developed faults as a result of the removal of thermostat here in the tropics. if you must keep them, also ensure to regularly check and change them- they don't stay for ever in the engine, they have a life span. the simplest method to check them is in a hot water with the temperature written on them, they should open around the specified temps.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by mdautotec(m): 12:18pm On Jul 03, 2012
Removing the engine thermostat from a vehicle will not allow it to reach it's specified temperature. By doing this, the OBD type system remains in open loop. In open loop the ECM (engine control module) does not receive any signal from the O2 (oxygen) sensor and maintains a longer injector pulse width to spray more fuel into the intake manifold. More fuel is required on start up as the cooler intake manifold temperate causes rapid condensation on the intake runner walls; hence additional fuel is injected to overcome this. This is a set parameter in the ECM upon cold start ONLY.

The engine thermostat must remain closed (until it reaches the specified temperature stamped on it's housing) for the engine to reach it's optimum temperature to allow the OBD system to enter into closed loop in the shortest possible time. This also allows the O2 sensor to reach it's optimal temperature for closed loop feedback to the ECM. In closed loop the O2 sensor monitors catalytic converter efficiency and signals the ECM on the running of the engine. From this information various sensors (MAP, A/F, cam, crank) and fuel curve / ignition timing are monitored, maintained and constantly adjusted for maximum fuel economy, minimum tailpipe emissions and standard engine performance. This in turn will maintain longevity of the engine, catalytic converter etc.

Removal of the thermostat is a NO GO! Catalytic converter damaged will occur due to the excess hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel). The system will permanently remain in open loop as the engine will run cooler than specified. The rich mixture can also cause engine components (including valve train) damage over time as excess carbon builds up. Excess fuel consumption will occur and hamper engine performance. In some cases you may also observe black smoke (hydrocarbons) from the tailpipe, especially when the vehicle is accelerated.

It is advisable to replace the engine thermostat once every 12 - 18 months with a new one.

Hope this sheds some light on this topic.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by eddy42k(m): 5:42pm On Jul 03, 2012
for me my rodeo ,the temprature is alway in the middle from the gauge i had my termostate removed and it still maintain that position had no issue or what so ever for years now, naija is hot with trafick

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by ikeyman00(m): 8:00pm On Jul 03, 2012
^^^^^ how many years u had it like that
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by cinzo: 8:04pm On Jul 03, 2012
All these peeps saying Nigeria is hot and cars were not designed to operate in hot weather forget that there are parts in US that are as hot if not hotter than Nigeria sef.

Road side mechanics are quacks and will for ever remain quacks. Patronize them at your own risk.

My 2 cents.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by pannyman(m): 12:40pm On Jul 05, 2012
Can an engine really run "cold" in Nigeria? It only takes a few minutes for the engine to get hot, within which no damage can be done.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by ajealadick(m): 3:10am On Jul 07, 2012
@md- autotec.
Thanks for the info. your arguement seems superior for even naive guys like those who chose to insult other inputs witout making theirs.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by auhanson(m): 10:22pm On Feb 09, 2013
Hello guys, these thermostat message is real.. i had a personal experience with it and would like to relay it to you all . The thermostat of my car was somehow removed without my knowledge while i parked the car in the mechanic workshop.

For about 5 days i have been experiencing overheating and temperature range of over hundred and something degrees.. To cut the long story short, out of curiosity,i went for flushing and bleeding of my radiator, while i open the compactment i noticed the missing thermostat,the overheating contd. I got myself another one that read 87 degrees, then i proceeded for a steam wash and from that moment henceforth once my temp got to that 87 degrees it doesn't go too much further than that, but rather comes down despite the kind of holdup i found myself, and despite the length of idle steaming and the actual weather condition.this confirms that the thermostat is necessary contrary to our local mechanics and peeps point of views. Just get the right temperature reading thermostat for your region and that will serve you all the headache . This is a practical experience, i'm now happy with my benz c180.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by Nicepoker(m): 11:15pm On Mar 09, 2013
No advantage pls
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by skylinegarage: 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2015
please note that thermostat is not a thermometer that measure weather temp. thermostat regulates engine Temperaure and not weather.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by OnlyemmyM(m): 4:24pm On Aug 28, 2015
Let me throw more light to this, first of all am a well trained driver in Autostar transport company and we undergo mechanical training before been given any car to ride, yes because of our hot weather in our country you are advise to remove the thermostat but there are procedures in doing that which many road side mechanics don't know, for instance if the temperature of your car always stay at half of the meter, when you remove the thermostat it will not rise up to even a quarter and is gonna make your Supposition very effective and your engine will be cool and in safe conditions, but you need an expert mechanic to remove it for and that I won't share it here but I can leave my numbers here (08130731770, 08022944196 ).
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by 9icetoo(m): 4:31pm On Aug 28, 2015
OnlyemmyM:
Let me throw more light to this, first of all am a well trained driver in Autostar transport company and we undergo mechanical training before been given any car to ride, yes because of our hot weather in our country you are advise to remove the thermostat but there are procedures in doing that which many road side mechanics don't know, for instance if the temperature of your car always stay at half of the meter, when you remove the thermostat it will not rise up to even a quarter and is gonna make your Supposition very effective and your engine will be cool and in safe conditions, but you need an expert mechanic to remove it for and that I won't share it here but I can leave my numbers here (08130731770, 08022944196 ).
shocked
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by diportivo: 5:13pm On Aug 28, 2015
OnlyemmyM:

Well trained indeed grin grin grin

Keep up d act of removing thermostats

And keep training more quacks

Gazzuzz,come and follow me see something

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by OnlyemmyM(m): 9:37pm On Aug 28, 2015
diportivo:

Well trained indeed grin grin grin

Keep up d act of removing thermostats

And keep training more quacks

Gazzuzz,come and follow me see something
You are not a transporter so you can use your car like that, Am talking about a car that ply the road everyday so if you don't know it then heed to my advise but is not by force okay.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:22pm On Aug 28, 2015
OnlyemmyM:

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwPMcJb5qyVdQPzqhxopEsN12y_kITDjfHqO9qx4QDuBxNBAs[/img]

I thought we had grown past this.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by OnlyemmyM(m): 11:26pm On Aug 28, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwPMcJb5qyVdQPzqhxopEsN12y_kITDjfHqO9qx4QDuBxNBAs[/img]

You don't have an idea does not mean that what am saying is not right okay.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
OnlyemmyM:
You don't have an idea does not mean that what am saying is not right okay.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT99fuj27GlryO7gea0U1ncuenta31C3BT_0Xm58q7l8iWNTWrL[/img]

You are not the first grin

Your brothers link https://www.nairaland.com/2311630/reason-why-tokunbo-car-keeps
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by nakoks(m): 8:04pm On Aug 29, 2015
Intersting topic and am gonna respond from practical experience.I have a Honda Accord i have used for seven years,same engine and gearbox.I removed the thermostat last month cos it has failed and wanted to see the workings will be before replacing it.What i didn't do was to permanent the cooling fans(they still work with the temperature switch which i just replaced).At start up it takes longer time to get to the desired temperature so more fuel usage at start up but once the car heats up, the engine works well and at steady temperature compared to when the thermostat was faulty.My water hoses are not swelling up and with the AC on which is 98% of the time the engine works well.In summary the only advantage for me is that engine seals that usually melt because of max heated temperature leading to oil leakages is now non existent.Please don't try removing on German products..benz,bmw.audi cos u will regret.And am gonna go to ladipo next week and replace the thermostat. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by adanny01(m): 8:57pm On Aug 29, 2015
komekn:
From my understanding the thermostat is a regulator with a max. and min. outside operating temperature which usually is about -50c to 50c so a car is not restricted to one climate/ weather type.

If you want to know more ask Sienna.

Actually max and min inside engine operating temp usually in the within a range of 80-110degrees celsius. Therefore, outside temp doesnt matter at all.

If removed engine will run below the minimum operation temp which is bad for the car.
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by adanny01(m): 9:16pm On Aug 29, 2015
ajealadick:
The simple truth is from the design of your car it suppose to run in europe or American and temperature conditions can be below "0' degrees which will make coolant in the cooling system freeze therefore a thermostat to ensure the engine does no start cooling via radiator and fan. the thermostat to allow the coolant in the engine build temperature before cooling (note that not only over heating destroys engine, also overcooling, will wear engines out). You can either drive with your thermostat in the tropics, but beware if it breaksdown it will refuse to open and then your car becomes a guinea pig for our mechanics. no car or truck has ever developed faults as a result of the removal of thermostat here in the tropics. if you must keep them, also ensure to regularly check and change them- they don't stay for ever in the engine, they have a life span. the simplest method to check them is in a hot water with the temperature written on them, they should open around the specified temps.

I wish to ask you 2 questions.

1. Whats the temperature range in Nigeria compared to that of the US.
- Nigerian temperature ranges between 15-46 celsuis while that of the US ranges between -50-50. Do youknow what that means? It means there are areas there that are hotter than Nigeria, should car owners in such places also remove their thermostats?
2. Peugeot used to assemble cars in Nigeria, why did they assemble their cars brand new in Nigeria with their thermostats in place? Their engineers should have removed all but why didnt they?
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by adanny01(m): 9:35pm On Aug 29, 2015
OnlyemmyM:

The unfortunate thing they didnt teach you is that as long as the temp does not reach that half meter, your car will continue to inject more fuel than needed. The car is designed to increase fuel injection when cold and reduce fuel injection when fully hot. That means you car will consume more fuel than usual which you cant stop it from doing so.

Effects are
1. High fuel consumption
2. Premature failure of catalytic coverter
3. Permanent check engine light
4. Reduced piston rings lifespan leading to premature smoking
5. Reduced engine block lifespan leading to premature smoking
Those who in addition connect cooling fan directly will have
6. Reduced lifespan of cooling fan due to undue stress leading to premature failure
7. Low battery lifespan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by Piyke: 10:03pm On Aug 29, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

My brother I never knew this could still be debated here o. Its really appalling. Taking modern cars back to the stone age angry
Re: Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? by OnlyemmyM(m): 1:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
adanny01:

The unfortunate thing they didnt teach you is that as long as the temp does not reach that half meter, your car will continue to inject more fuel than needed. The car is designed to increase fuel injection when cold and reduce fuel injection when fully hot. That means you car will consume more fuel than usual which you cant stop it from doing so.

Effects are
1. High fuel consumption
2. Premature failure of catalytic coverter
3. Permanent check engine light
4. Reduced piston rings lifespan leading to premature smoking
5. Reduced engine block lifespan leading to premature smoking
Those who in addition connect cooling fan directly will have
6. Reduced lifespan of cooling fan due to undue stress leading to premature failure
7. Low battery lifespan
okay I hear you and am gonna make my research , Thanks for that we will verified to keep our workshop lively cos we have too many vehicles on the road, Thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Three Things Does An Engine Need To Run? / Flash Back 2006:Mazda Destroyed 4,703 Brand New Cars After Cargo Ship Accident / How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.