Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,773 members, 7,820,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament (23825 Views)

Nigerians Will Reject One-Party State — IBB / 2023: You Will Never Be President, Igbos Will Reject You – Ohanaeze Tells Atiku / Oshiomole: If I Have Another Opportunity To Become APC Chair, I Will Reject It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Maxymilliano(m): 1:23pm On May 20, 2022
•Say FG’s new N1000 feeding allowance false
•Inmates resort to alternative measures to avoid starvation
•Prison authority denies claim

In October 2021, the Senate Committee on Interior approved the increase of the daily feeding allowance of the Nigerian Correctional Service, NCoS, from N450 per inmate to a minimum of N1, 000 per day. NCS officials who were at the Senate to defend their 2022 budget had proposed N750 but members of the committee who described the amount as grossly inadequate jerked it up to N1, 000 in line with the current economic reality.

When the announcement of the increase was officially made by the Comptroller of NCS, most of the inmates in prisons across the country were ecstatic believing that their daily feeding portion would automatically increase. Seven months down the line, Encounter’s investigation revealed that the feeding portion of inmates has remained the same despite the purported increase by the government.

Our correspondent spoke to some inmates of Kirikiri and Ikoyi Correctional facilities who confirmed the situation and stated that the meals remain as horrible as they’ve always been. Two inmates who were recently released from the facilities also told our correspondent that nothing had changed with respect to the feeding of inmates before their release.

Inmates narrate experience

Akoni (not real name) who is an awaiting trial inmate and has been in the Kirikiri Custodial Facility since 2019, said the beans served every morning usually made him stool for months until he got used to it.

Akoni said he was one of those inmates who were excited over the announcement of N1000 feeding allowance for inmates but has since concluded that it was just a ruse by government since the meals in the prison still remain poor and horrible.

He said: “The first week I came into the prison, it was difficult for me to adapt because I usually don’t like beans but that was the only breakfast served seven days a week.

“At some point after eating the often badly cooked beans with stones inside, I would be having running stomach for most part of the day. The food is terrible. Sometimes I prefer to endure hunger than eat the meals they serve us. You need to come and see it to know exactly what I am talking about.

“When I heard that the Federal Government had increased the budget for our feeding, I thought that there will be improvement in the quality of the meals. Knowing government for their lies, I was skeptical about the announcement but now I know that it was all lies. Come and see horrible food! It is even getting worse.”

Daily rations

Former Resident Pastor of Kirikiri Prison, David Godfrey who spent 14 years in the facility and was released late last year, also shared his experience with regards to feeding in the prisons.

He said: “Our prison feeding pattern is regimented. We eat three times a day but even a hungry dog will reject the food they serve us. Our only saving grace is that some of us were allowed to cook to supplement the small ration we are given.

“Usually, the prison meals are not for everybody because some of us have stoves and pots with which we cook inside the cell. If inmates depended solely on the prison meals, I can assure you that the death rate in the prison will be very high because of malnutrition.

Our regular pattern on Mondays is beans in the morning, eba and watery soya bean soup without meat or fish in the afternoon and dry garri in the evening. They just serve us dry garri with nothing to accompany it. We are expected to just chew it and sleep.

The cooked beans is often full of stones because it is not properly picked. Inmates are served just one spoon of the beans which they call portion. The dry garri is just one small milk cup for an inmate and nothing else goes along with it.

Preferential treatment for condemned inmate

The only inmates that enjoy more ration of food are condemned prisoners. They always get double ration because it is often assumed that they will die any time since they have been sentenced to death. Their ration plate is always full. Any day we are privileged to be served Titus fish, they usually get full ration while others get a piece of the fish. Ten inmates can share one small fish amongst them.

“On Tuesday, we are served beans in the morning, rice in the afternoon and eba is the evening. We call the soup Japa because it is just a mixture of water, soya beans and little oil and salt. On rare occasions, they add scent leaf to the mixture. The rice served in the afternoon is just white rice with a mixture of oil and water as stew. Rice is also served only on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. We eat beans every morning from Monday to Sunday.

An inmate of the Kirikiri Female Prison Kate Oke who was released in December 2021 also described the horrible meal inside the prison saying that the meals are meant to kill inmates rather than sustain them. She said: “Prison is not the best place to desire a good meal, but one would expect that at least, the meal should be decent.

“Before I left the female prison in December 2021 after my three year’s incarceration, the meal was still horrible. The female officer in charge of the prison usually go out of her way to give inmates good treat on special occasions such as Christmas or New Year day celebration. Aside those special days, the meal is always horrible with no consideration for the health of inmates.

“I didn’t expect to eat good food there, but what they serve us is very undignifying. We eat beans every morning throughout the week. The eba and watery egusi soup served in the afternoon is without fish or meat. It is only on special occasions like Christmas, New Year, Easter or any of the Muslim festivals that we eat small piece of meat. I had to look for alternatives else I would have been malnourished by the time I was released. I heard that government had increased the feeding allowance for every inmate but until my release, the meals were still the same.

Another inmate, Ikenna also shared his feeding experience. He said: “We eat fish four or five times in a month. Some inmates who can cook and can also afford to buy kerosene stove and pot are allowed to cook in a corner of their cell.

“Once they have these items, they can then order for raw foodstuff through the prisons welfare officer. Everything the inmates want to buy must be through the welfare officer who then goes to the market to buy it for them. The VIP section is different because the inmates there have their own luxury which include generating set for electricity, washerman, errand boy and a cook.

Alternative arrangement

Encounter investigation revealed that to augment the poor meals, prison authority allows the inmates to either buy food outside or cook inside the cell. An inmate of the Ikoyi Prisons, who wished to be identified as Emma, told Encounter that he has since stopped eating the meal provided by the prison authorities.

He said: “I have been on awaiting trial since 2019. When I got there newly, I was relying mostly on the small ration of food that the prison authority serves every inmate. Seriously the food is bad.

“After a while, I got a kerosene stove and started cooking my own meal inside my cell. I am still doing that till today. The only time I don’t cook is when either NGOs or religious organisations come to serve us food. The Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, often brings food for us every Sunday so we often look forward to eating their meal.

Prison authority denies claims

Speaking with Encounter on the issue, the spokesperson of the Lagos State Prisons Command, Mr. Rotimi Oladokun said the claim by some inmates that their feeding has remained the same despite Federal Government’s increase of their feeding allowance, is not true.

He said: “There has been a review of the feeding as stated in the Nigerian Correctional Facilities Act of 2019. The N450 initial provision was reviewed upward but I am sure it is not up to N1000. I must tell you that regarding feeding in the prisons, there is a unit measurement that we use for each ration of food for inmates.

“That measurement has increased to reflect the review in the feeding allowance. The feeding generally has improved but everything gets better with time. My response on this issue is with regards to the Lagos State Prisons Command and not what obtains nationwide.

“Our partnership with Non-Governmental Organisations and religious bodies which periodically provide food for the inmates, is also working perfectly well. When asked why inmates in Lagos prisons rarely eat fish or meat, Oladokun ignored the question and rather insisted that all inmates are provided three square meals daily. “All I can tell you is that there has been an increase in the meal ration that inmates get and it is getting better.”

But contrary to Oladokun’s denial, a senior prison officer who did not want to be quoted confirmed to Encounter that nothing has changed with regards to the feeding of inmates across the country.

The officer said: “Nothing has changed here in terms of quality and quantity of food the inmates eat. It is still the regular miserable eba with watery egusi soup, beans and rice.

“That is the only three kinds of meal that inmates eat. I can’t tell if the government has released the increased fund to the prison authority but I can tell you that nothing has changed here. The only way that inmates survive is by providing their own food.”

Vanguard News

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/05/even-hungry-dogsll-reject-our-meals-prison-inmates/

2 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by duduade: 1:24pm On May 20, 2022
Na wa o
I could imagine

Poor food
Kai

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Xscape1993(m): 1:26pm On May 20, 2022
Can anything good still come out of this country? What have we done to Buhari and his people? I am just tired....

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Karemarealty288(m): 1:26pm On May 20, 2022
So true...is better to opt for purgatory then Nigerian prison.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by olamidedivotee(f): 1:29pm On May 20, 2022
Next time don't commit crime in Nigeria.

The Minister of Interior Affairs should look into this situation.

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Odin13: 1:30pm On May 20, 2022
Nigeria is a fantastically corrupt country

And it’s not stopping anytime soon

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by olamidedivotee(f): 1:31pm On May 20, 2022
Karemarealty288:
So true...is better to opt for purgatory then Nigerian prison.

Have you been there before?

4 Likes

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Maxymilliano(m): 1:34pm On May 20, 2022
Buhari has turned the country to a prison yard with people feeding from hand to mouth and not sure where the next meal will come from.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by youngsahito(m): 1:34pm On May 20, 2022
Corruption is everywhere since their is no check and balance yet those bastard thief go dey oppress us for road. Na Dog go chop their meat.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by festacman(m): 1:35pm On May 20, 2022
Honestly, feeding of prisoners is one thing that should be looked into. Prisoner welfare-focused CSOs need to make more noise. Take extensive picture and video of these meals and make it viral on social media. Enough money is budgetted but very watery meals are given. That's pure wickedness.

I had expected Ogbeni Aregbesola to implement some reforms from 'begging culture' of prison officers, renovation of prisons, to prisoners' welfare but he is busy fighting his godfather Asiwaju Tinubu. Very sad.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by dplordx(m): 1:36pm On May 20, 2022
Nigeria prison system is one of the most disgusting and odiferous entity created on earth. If Mandela had been sent to prison in naija, he would have died within 10 years of been there. Speaking from experience, my first visit to one just blew me away. They even bury dead prisoners there without family consent. Prisoners sleep, urinate, poop and eat inside the same enclosure which is often overcrowded. The food is not even fit for the people of hell fire, which tells you that every single leader who ever ruled this country except some good governors are worse than Satan. There is so much wrong with Naija and I sometimes pray that the bastarrd government can just let us go out separate ways to decide our individual fate

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Xscape1993(m): 1:38pm On May 20, 2022
Maxymilliano:
Buhari has turned the country to a prison yard with people feeding from hand to mouth and not sure where the next meal will come from.
All I know is that Nigeria is presidentless since 2015.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Maxymilliano(m): 1:40pm On May 20, 2022
They just serve us dry garri with nothing to accompany it. We are expected to just chew it and sleep.
Lol ... Nigeria warders no get joy at all grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Karemarealty288(m): 3:05pm On May 20, 2022
olamidedivotee:

Have you been there before?

Yes
Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by SailorUgo(m): 4:46pm On May 20, 2022
angry
Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 20, 2022
Not only these prisoners, almost everybody in Nigeria is hungry/angry....

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Golan007: 4:46pm On May 20, 2022
Nnamdi Kanu.

cheesy

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by BESTScientist1: 4:47pm On May 20, 2022
Nni
Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Tonymegabush1(m): 4:47pm On May 20, 2022
Nigeria na cruise.. when nysc corp members are feed next to garbage na prison inmates will be fed better

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by oluseyiforjesus(m): 4:47pm On May 20, 2022
Nigeria prison is not a place to wish your enemy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by MiaBeer(m): 4:47pm On May 20, 2022
shocked
Sad but true. By the time those at the top take their cut, even dogs will walk away when offered the prisoner food.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 20, 2022
The vulture griller on Nairaland with his set of zombies would gladly eat it..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by IPIGSRMUMU: 4:47pm On May 20, 2022
They are too busy feeding Namdiot coward Cownu the IPIG terrorist monkey while other inmates go hungry.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Kingxchange44: 4:47pm On May 20, 2022
Chai.

Check my signature
Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 20, 2022
IPIGSRMUMU:
They are too busy feeding Namdiot coward Cownu the IPIG terrorist monkey while other inmates go hungry.

Remember your dad has always told you to be wiser than him(your father) and even though it looks like all hope is lost already, I want to still believe you'll have sense no matter how little it is..

Anyways sha don't let my comments give you pressure after all, you're not the only senseless man on Nairaland

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Brainjotting: 4:48pm On May 20, 2022
This doesn't make sense na, don't they have conscience to be feeding their fellow human beings like this?

Do you need a Business plan or want to learn how to write one? Let's talk business.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Onyenna(m): 4:48pm On May 20, 2022
Chaii!!

Ike gwuru local man

Re: Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament by Charly68: 4:49pm On May 20, 2022
When you lose your liberty to state in a corrupt nation like ours , na to suffer die be that.. our leaders and security men are so mean and wicked that they rob and defraud the dead not to talk of the living

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo Of Emir Of Kano, Sanusi Lamido When He Was A Child / Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History / 2023: Cracks In Jonathan's Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.