Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,394 members, 7,836,584 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Private Universities That Uses Attendance To Keep Student Population - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities That Uses Attendance To Keep Student Population (646 Views)

Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / List Of Universities That Accept 120 Cut-Off Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Universities That Uses Attendance To Keep Student Population by lumay2: 1:22pm On May 21, 2022
It is now becoming a tactics in private universities to maintain certain level of students population through minimum lecture attendance requirement. Student that failed the minimum requirements of 75% will spend extra year.
For instance, how can you achieve 75% attendance if you missed I of 3 lectures; 2 of 9 lectures,; 3 of 7 lectures etc.
Parents and students need to be sure of private universities in which the desperation of Nigerian Educational System forced them to send their children for study.
The rate at which students of private universities now get extra academic year and pay additional tuition for none attendance should be looked into by NUC.
I know we feel the problem of private universities is none of the public problem.
Just imagine in a corrupt country like ours, children from poor homes will NEVER get admitted into public university if there are no private ones. Because cost of securing admission will be high .
Government should please look into this matter.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities That Uses Attendance To Keep Student Population by Isobug: 1:32pm On May 21, 2022
O boy....See eye opener oo. I don't know this type of thing happens there oo. Strategy to extort money from students, Nigerians and wickedness
Re: Private Universities That Uses Attendance To Keep Student Population by Paulheyman: 1:56pm On May 21, 2022
I think, since they exist a mop up quiz they should also be a mop up attendance for such students. Though I am a strong advocate of students attending lectures, students should also be given a second chance to better their performance.

Stay blessed
Re: Private Universities That Uses Attendance To Keep Student Population by Eddygourdo(m): 4:20pm On May 21, 2022
lumay2:
It is now becoming a tactics in private universities to maintain certain level of students population through minimum lecture attendance requirement. Student that failed the minimum requirements of 75% will spend extra year.
For instance, how can you achieve 75% attendance if you missed I of 3 lectures; 2 of 9 lectures,; 3 of 7 lectures etc.
Parents and students need to be sure of private universities in which the desperation of Nigerian Educational System forced them to send their children for study.
The rate at which students of private universities now get extra academic year and pay additional tuition for none attendance should be looked into by NUC.
I know we feel the problem of private universities is none of the public problem.
Just imagine in a corrupt country like ours, children from poor homes will NEVER get admitted into public university if there are no private ones. Because cost of securing admission will be high .
Government should please look into this matter.
what are you talking about. Attendance to lectures isn't optional. It is mandatory, which implies that there must be a cogent reason for missing a lecture. The rules are there on the student handbook. If one feels he can't abide, why accept the admission given in the first instance.
Re: Private Universities That Uses Attendance To Keep Student Population by Abilistic(m): 5:35pm On May 21, 2022
lumay2:

How can you miss 2 of 9 lectures and claim to be a student?

This is not applicable to only private universities but also some federal universities.

If you did not attend up to 65% of lectures in Unilag, the lecturer has the right to bar you from taking his/her exam.

So stop talking gibberish!
Re: Private Universities That Uses Attendance To Keep Student Population by donaldking10: 5:48pm On May 21, 2022
Abilistic:

How can you miss 2 of 9 lectures and claim to be a student?

This is not applicable to only private universities but also some federal universities.

If you did not attend up to 65% of lectures in Unilag, the lecturer has the right to bar you from taking his/her exam.

So stop talking gibberish!

omor.
studied medicine and surgery, & in each full session i don't think i ever attended more than 20 classes.
did most of my reading in my lodge with all my text-books.
attending classes is over-rated.
plus i always pick the particular classes to attend depending on how difficult that particular course is.
for example while studying for M.B.B.S, i never missed Biochemistry classes because that was one of the courses that wasn't really self explanatory.

(1) (Reply)

Ban ASUU Now For Shutting Down Universities, FG Told / WAEC Result Error..is This A Joke? / Lautech Students, When Are We Resuming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.