Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,121 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police (16660 Views)

Legal Grounds Why Tinubu Can’t Be Arrested & Prosecuted - NDLEA / Man Seen Dumping Waste Lagos Gutter Arrested, Prosecuted (pictures) / Sagay: Reps, Senators Who Refuse Screening Can Be Arrested, Prosecuted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by Maxymilliano(m): 7:10pm On May 21, 2022
The Lagos State Police Command has announced that both motorcyclists and passengers who defy the new ban on Okada operations in the state will be arrested and prosecuted.

The Lagos State Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, made this known on Saturday.

“Under the new total ban of motorcycles in six local government areas of Lagos State, passengers and riders alike will be arrested and prosecuted. The passenger is an accomplice. Ignorance will not be an excuse!” he tweeted.

The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has on Wednesday, declared a total ban on the operations of commercial motorcycles popularly called Okada, in six Local Governments.

The six local governments listed by the governor are Ikeja, Surulere, Eti-Osa, Lagos Mainland, Lagos Island, and Apapa.

The governor said the fresh Okada ban followed the February 2020 restriction placed on the activities of commercial motorcycles.

Sanwo-Olu said the government took the decision in line with the State’s Transport Sector Reform Law of 2018 to immediately address the chaos and menace created by the operations of Okada in the listed areas.

He told the police to enforce the order without compromise.

He said, “After a critical review of our restriction on Okada activities in the first six Local Government Areas where we restricted them on February 1, 2020, we have seen that the menace has not abated. We are now directing a total ban on Okada activities across the highways and bridges within these six Local Government and their Local Council Development Areas, effective from June 1, 2022.

“This is a phased ban we are embarking on this period, and we expect that within the short while when this ban will be enforced, Okada riders in other places where their activities are yet to be banned can find something else to do. We have given the notice now and we expect all commercial motorcycles plying the routes in the listed councils and areas to vacate the highways before enforcement begins. The enforcement will be total.”

The ban came days after Okada riders killed a young man in the Lekki area of Lagos State over N100 balance.

It was learnt that the victim, who was a sound engineer, was lynched and burnt to death after a misunderstanding ensued over the N100 balance with one of the commercial motorcyclists.

How my husband was killed by Okada riders over N100 -Widow

Grace, widow of the 37-year-old sound engineer who was killed by motorcyclists in Lagos State, David Imoh, has narrated how her husband was killed while trying to settle a fight between two friends and his killers.

In an interview with The PUNCH on Monday, Grace said her husband was wrongly labelled as a ritualist and Yahoo Boy before being lynched to death.

“They didn’t just beat him, they stabbed and burnt him to death,” the mother of two broke down in tears.

“He was burnt as if he is a robber. They have taken my world away from me because of N100. This is not good,” she added.

Read Also
Lagos police, protesters clash as truck crushes Okada rider, passenger
Kwara youths protest killing of okada rider
Passengers drug Okada rider, steal motorcycle in Ogun
The PUNCH had reported that two suspects have been arrested in connection with Imoh’s death.

The late Imoh, who was popularly called Dave Sound, had an aged mother, a five-year-old boy and another One-year and five-month-old baby.

She identified the two other friends of her late husband involved in the fight as band members of D’Banj and Phyno.

The widow said, “My husband went to work on May 10, I was called on May 13 by one of his friends that we lost him. He said his family should come to the Maroko police station. So my relatives and his own went there. The police told them that my husband and his friend climbed the Aboki (Hausa man)’s bike, and they had an argument over N100.

“In the process, one of the Okada guys was hit and he fell down so they started beating them up.
My husband was beaten and they were shouting that he is a ritualist and a Yahoo Boy. After being beaten, he was burnt to death.”

Grace, however, explained that the narrative by one of Imoh’s friends made her realise that her late husband was invited to settle the dispute over the N100 balance when he was killed.

She continued, “But on Twitter, a colleague of his put up a video on what happened. She said my husband was setting up in a bar. Being a sound engineer he works with Church of God Mission Garden City, Lekki during the day. He also works with Legacy 360 Band in the evening when there is a show.

“My husband was not part of those who mounted the bike. Two guys (band members) took the bike and when they arrived at the venue, an argument happened between the two guys and the motorcyclist.

“They gave the motorcyclist N500 and were to get a balance of N100 but the bike man said he didn’t have change. They told him to take N300 but he refused and a fight broke out.

“My husband was invited to intervene in the issue. David intervened because of N100 and was killed. He came outside trying to intervene but when they saw that the motorcyclists were overpowering them, they had to run back inside the bar but the bar manager pushed them out. He denied knowing them, David tried hiding but a Hausa lady exposed him.”

Grace, who is a civil servant and a Post Graduate Diploma holder, called on the Lagos State Government to ensure justice in the matter.

“All because he wanted to help settle a dispute, he was killed. They have taken away my world. Please Lagos Government, Governor Sanwo-Olu, my Head of Service, Muri Okunola, and others help me, I cry for justice and for the welfare of my children. Please come to my rescue. I’m helpless,” she said.

“How do I take care of these kids. I wanted to pursue my Master’s and get my COREN certification as an engineer. Those were his plans for me. My husband is the only one helping me. How will my children go to school?”

Copyright PUNCH.

https://punchng.com/breaking-ban-okada-rider-passenger-to-be-arrested-prosecuted-says-lagos-police/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1653154458

6 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by madridguy(m): 7:13pm On May 21, 2022
The State government should consider us with no other means of transportation.
We cannot be trekking day and night.

652 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by DonMarkuzi(m): 7:13pm On May 21, 2022
What are alternatives to the incessant road traffic's?

8 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by cocolacec(m): 7:17pm On May 21, 2022
Eletikun Passengers should be made to pay N10,000.

639 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by cocolacec(m): 7:20pm On May 21, 2022
madridguy:
Trekking is good for the body as a form of exercise.If you cant trek buy your private Okada(Power bike).Private Okadas(Power bike) and dispatch riders are not banned,only commercial okadas are banned.
Eko oni baje
God Bless Lagos
God bless Yorubaland
God bless Western region.

723 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by theyblog: 7:22pm On May 21, 2022
madridguy:
nah so dem go laugh for ur family member death

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by Nigerialabalaba: 7:29pm On May 21, 2022
Hahaha.... No more passengers wey go dey japa wen police arrest okadaman. Dey should extend it to danfo drivers and dem passengers wen dem dey drive one way too grin

18 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by kettykings: 7:36pm On May 21, 2022
These Lagos state with its anti people law, whic one is arresting passengers

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by Healfastijn(f): 7:37pm On May 21, 2022
Where economy are okay, no okada business, why are poor suffering in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by aycapri(m): 7:58pm On May 21, 2022
Wahala for who dey follow bike go work oo

1 Like

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by Iceberg3: 8:07pm On May 21, 2022
madridguy:
shut up,your beloved buhari says if not for bla bla bla, coneheaded structures would be trekking from Lagos to Ibadan grin
Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by cocolacec(m): 8:34pm On May 21, 2022
kettykings:
These Lagos state with its anti people law, whic one is arresting passengers
If there is no patronage,okada biz will fold up.For the total ban to fully work both rider and passenger must face the penalty.No be by force to live in Lagos,people can relocate to states with cheaper cost of living.

675 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by ChangetheChange: 8:50pm On May 21, 2022
Nice one
If u enter bike, you will be locked up and charged to court.Police go even cash out for ur head
If those okada men don't see passengers again, they will all relocate to their villages

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by kettykings: 9:03pm On May 21, 2022
cocolacec:

If there is no patronage,okada biz will fold up.For the total ban to fully work both rider and passenger must face the penalty.No be by force to live in Lagos,people can relocate to states with cheaper cost of living.

Who the hell wants to live in Lagos if not for the lopsided federal structure of Nigeria where everything is centred in 2 cities.

Go and check all the laws made by the present governor who I understand was handpicked and appointed a governor,they are all anti people laws. By the way I don't support okada because they have been banned elsewhere in the east and Abuja , I support banning them in Lagos .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by NwaNimo1(m): 9:38pm On May 21, 2022
So many children to be locked up....

4 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by FirstSon01: 9:39pm On May 21, 2022
G
Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by Jestin: 9:39pm On May 21, 2022
They should go and back tricycle from innoson at a cheap price and hit the road again.

6 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by History555: 9:40pm On May 21, 2022
Operation frustrate aboki

4 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by johnkay1(m): 9:40pm On May 21, 2022

Sanwo-olu just want to sell those cars the contractor has remitted kickback.

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by EgunMogaji2: 9:41pm On May 21, 2022
I hope Oyo state government is taking note because the marauders will simply move down here and bring their wanton disregard for decency and order.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by meedoLock(m): 9:42pm On May 21, 2022
Una well so, arrest me and my money?

1 Like

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by obo389(m): 9:45pm On May 21, 2022
Omo, na people wey no get ride for lagos go hear am this period o . shocked
And that na if the government have the will because no be today banning of okada dey

2 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by 1mistup0: 9:45pm On May 21, 2022
smiley
Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by Opolopoopolonio: 9:45pm On May 21, 2022
Spot on!

This may put paid to okada in Lagos once and for all.

4 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by murmee: 9:45pm On May 21, 2022
cocolacec:

Trekking is good for the body as a form of exercise.If you cant trek buy your private Okada.Private Okadas and dispatch riders are not banned,only commercial os banned.
Eko oni baje
God Bless Lagos
God bless Yorubaland
God bless Western region.
Private motorbikes are not the same as those being used as Okada. Privately used ones are called powerbikes. You better make enquiries so as not to run into trouble!

2 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by Proflere: 9:45pm On May 21, 2022
Lol!

I said it some days ago, start arresting the passengers. If there is no demand, supply will be affected.

10 Likes

Re: Ban: Okada Rider, Passenger To Be Arrested, Prosecuted, Says Lagos Police by Decentdave(m): 9:46pm On May 21, 2022
Very wise development by the state government.i will tell u yorubas are fools.Lagos is already surrounded unknowingly by these jihadist

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan: Surgery For Ruptured Appendix Was Performed / Dolapo Osinbajo And Nneoma Okorocha At The Launch Of Elfreeda Foundation In Imo / Osinbajo Meets With Bukola Saraki For Security Summit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.