Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode (3228 Views)

Femi Aribisala: Buhari Is A Ticking Time Bomb With A Dangerous Agenda / Buhari Is Sitting On A Time Bomb / Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by gbenga3: 3:46pm On Feb 20, 2006
With honesty and frankness, I am writing this piece to my fellow Nigerians both at home and in the diaspora on the need to pray for our nation because of these problems coming from one part of Nigeria or the other.

We should thank God the South South people are not like the Palestinians or the Israelis who can go to the extreme of suicide bombing to achieve their aims (I pray it will not get to that anyway) but then I think it's high time we did something about. This last week another nine have been captured. Who knows what will happen next now? Well I am sure the people in this region of the nation have been pushed to the wall and now have nowhere to run to than to retaliate .

Have you ever imagine if the South South people were to be our brothers from the Northern part of the country you know what they will have been doing by now to make sure they start controlling thier resources by themselves.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by demmy(m): 5:55pm On Feb 21, 2006
I don't believe anything big will come out of this outside of more suffering for the already poor people of that region.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by toshmann(m): 6:19pm On Feb 21, 2006
well,what can i say?if u think it will not get to suicide bombings, think again.it was mosop,then agitation,then MEND,then iraqi style hostage taking,, then , su-c-d- bombings?how do u expect them to react?pushed to the wall,an airforce plane bombing their villages.they feel invaded by a foreign country(nigeria).and rightly so.since they don't have airforce bombs, they may oneday use human bombs.the problem of niger delta shoulbd be addressed now by the fed govt or else it can only get worse there
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Seun(m): 7:38pm On Feb 21, 2006
I am fully convinced that the trouble in the Niger Delta has nothing to do with the poor people. Poor people do not have money to buy sophisticated weapons to kill policemen. Poor people are all over Nigeria - like pensioners who are dying because they aren't getting their expected pay - but they do not retaliate by kidnapping and gunning down expatriates and armed forces personnel.

The people causing trouble in the Niger Delta are rich people who have made themselves wealthy by oil bunkering. That is how I see it. This is merely a security issue. The people who are causing trouble in this country can all fit in a medium-sized prison campus. And that is where all of them would be if the Nigerian police force was up to the required standard. These kidnappers and armed Niger Delta boys are criminals, and I can assure you that they don't give a damn about the poor people of Niger Delta.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 21, 2006
Those dissidents wont achieve anything other than put innocent people into more trouble.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by toshmann(m): 9:10pm On Feb 21, 2006
seun u don't seem to grasp the problem in the niger delta.i'm not from the niger delta but i schooled in that part of the country and i have interacted with people from there.it is not js dissidents acting.these people(niger deltans)are bitter.very very bitter and no matter what u feel,the activities of the rebels there has got the tacit support of the spirit of the people of niger delta.these people are very unhappy with the country.this is a culmination of injustice since 1960.beware,the next zone of violence may be the south-east.the u.s embassy released a dossier sometime ago stating that nigeria may break up by 2015.instead of our leaders doing something positive about the issues raised ,they questioned the integrity of the embassy and that is our problem,ignore the message,attack the messenger.we are only decieving ourselves
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Kobani: 6:17pm On Feb 22, 2006
The Federal Government let this situation generate to this point. And it still doesn`t want to own up. How do you keep a people that produce more than 90% of Nigeria`s revenue in grinding poverty.Granted, those guys have sofisticated weapons from proceeds of bunkering but what alternatives have they ever been given. A guy with a job would think twice before undertaking the risk of going head to head with an Army. Now it's getting late.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by owo(m): 6:32pm On Feb 22, 2006
Indeed it is getting late. It is late already, very late.

By allowing this whole stuff to enter the South-South's intelligent communty who will always research for new ways of attacking the problem, Nigeria is certainly on its way to extinction.

It is very easy to kill one man, but to kill an idea?, You'll need to kill a whole generation of men.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by toshmann(m): 7:51pm On Feb 22, 2006
a nation that plays with it's youth plays with it's future. when we have a generation of unemployed youth, crime and agitation is the product. those fools that call themselves leaders don't even admit there is a problem.tell me, brothers, how can it get better? it can only get worse. and they know it. once an idiot gets into power,he 1st thing he does is to open an accout in us and shift his family over there. HEAR ME WELL,CLOSE YOUR EARS IF YOU CAN,NIGERIA IS A FAILED STATE.SHAME!!!
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by pssword: 8:10pm On Feb 22, 2006
I'm not an advocate of violence by any means and the kidnapping is a very very sad state of affairs. One would have thought that it would expedient for the government to find out why this type of goings on is happening in the Niger Delta. But the thing is that they know exactly what is going on and why. Have any of you seen the poverty, I mean real poverty, dejection, destitution, homelessness, hunger, strife etc etc, in this part of the world. Yet their land provide for 80% of the Nigerian economy and that crude drives the mechanization of the western industrialization. Isn't this enough to push any man/woman to the wall?? Why are the Niger Deltans treated like 2nd class citizens when they bring most of the bread to the table. Even before they have the chance to eat the crumbs it's been contaminated with oil. What is the justification in killing them instead of opening a dialogue with them. Would the government do the samething in the north mmm Why have the government/oil companies turned brother against brother ( eg Uhrobo vs itsekiri) in the Niger Delta either by an inconsiderate local government allocation or making double promises on the same investment and money allocation. Is there something to be gained in the chaos? Why are they now surprised by the reaction of these men/women who have been made dig contaminated ground for food and water, in the land of plenty or mothers/fathers watch their children die from malnutrition and all what not when the their crude is going for over $50/barrel. . Why why why, I must stop as tears are beginning to form in my eyes. My brothers my heart is heavy well well embarassed
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Seun(m): 8:21pm On Feb 22, 2006
Are they the ones that planted the oil there? No.

Are they the ones that discovered the oil there? No.

Are they the ones that extract the oil there? No.

Are they the ones that turn the oil into dollars? No.

Do they know how to refine the oil? No.

SO what exactly is the basis of their claim? An accident of history! The truth is, the only thing they really deserve is to be compensated for the damage to the environment often caused by oil extraction. Oil spillages and gas flaring have harmed their environment and in some cases made fishing difficult, so they should be compensated for that and nothing more. Afterall, their forefathers did not plant the oil!
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Kobani: 8:42pm On Feb 22, 2006
Seun go tell this to a Texan, Saudi or a Bruneian and see what he does to you, and they all have the same oil.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Seun(m): 9:28pm On Feb 22, 2006
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by pssword: 11:20am On Feb 23, 2006
Seun, what you are saying is the same as someone telling u you are not a from the country of your/parnet's/grandparent's/fore-fathers birth because it was all an accident. That you should not be paid for the services you provide, that is if you are working, because you did not make the tools you use. That when you work for a company you expect equal share of the profit, because you worked the longest hours and generated the most sale in dollars etc, That most of Africa most continue to be exploited by the west and even now the far east because they did not plant the oil, diamonds and all sorts of raw materials because it was an accident for Africa to be endowed with it. It is now a crime for people to seek to benefit from the produce of their land. What was the real motive behind that response, are you playing devil's advocate or you or feel that the people who's land provide Nigeria's daily bread should continue to be marginalized? If you feel this is a recipe for a just and fair Nigeria then we have a very long long long way to go if they are many people who think the way you do. By the way this goes for all of Africa if you don't know. They are many western governments/companies who would give those answers as an excuse for the continued exploitation of your brother's and sister's all over the continent. And before you add that it would be impossible without the government collusion, these western governments/companies only use them as a means to an end.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by issacboro: 3:54pm On Feb 23, 2006
My guy seun try to be inteligent na haba u no go school why u dey think with your yansh abi u leave your brain for niger before u enter jand.
Take care,your utterance is a one way traffic try make u divert am to another side may be u go see the light so u mean say watine everybody dey talk na lie  only u correct.GUY
Comot the spec from your eye.Abi u want make moto jam u first before u go realise say moto dey come your way.SEUN SEUN how many time i call your name
Pickin wey no dey hear word na cane them dey take talk to am oooooooooooooooooooooooo shocked
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by gbenga3: 11:49pm On Nov 17, 2007
g  benga:

With honesty and frankness, I am writing this piece to my fellow Nigerians both at home and in the diaspora on the need to pray for our nation because of these problems coming from one part of Nigeria or the other.
issac boro link=topic=7139.msg218202#msg218202 date=1140706481:

My guy seun try to be inteligent na haba u no go school why u dey think with your yansh abi u leave your brain for niger before u enter jand.
Take care,your utterance is a one way traffic try make u divert am to another side may be u go see the light so u mean say watine everybody dey talk na lie only u correct.GUY
Comot the spec from your eye.Abi u want make moto jam u first before u go realise say moto dey come your way.SEUN SEUN how many time i call your name
Pickin wey no dey hear word na cane them dey take talk to am oooooooooooooooooooooooo shocked
We should thank God the South South people are not like the Palestinians or the Israelis who can  go to the extreme of suicide bombing to achieve their aims (I pray it will not get to that anyway)  but then I think it's high time we did something about.  This last week another nine have been captured.  Who knows what will happen next now?  Well I am sure the people in this region of the nation have been pushed to the wall and now have nowhere to run to than to retaliate .

Have you ever imagine if the South South people were to be our brothers from the Northern part of the country you know what they will have been doing by now to make sure they start controlling their resources by themselves.
issac boro:

Take care,your utterance is a one way traffic try make u divert am to another side may be u go see the light so u mean say watine everybody dey talk na lie only u correct.GUY
Bruv . pls read my piece and reply accordingly infact i never said i lived outside naij a and aslo not even a single bit of my writing was out of order .I dont wnt to be rude to you and as a reslut will appreciate it if u can pls go over it again . I respect pple even when i dnt know them and i think it shld be thesame frm pple to me as well
Thank U and God Bless our nation .
[i][/i]
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by texazzpete(m): 10:46am On Nov 18, 2007
Why do we always seek for reasons to blame the west for our troubles? The Nigerian Government takes over 90% of the oil money, leaving the rest for the western oil majors to share. If you didn't know this, know it now.
I strongly believe the South South people deserve their lot. What are they complaining about?
No roads? They get the lion's share of the oil money (Derivation). Do you know how much Bayelsa state receives monthly from their share of the oil derivation? Alams was proven to have stolen over N50bn. Yet they treated him as a hero, the 'Governor general' of the Ijaws.
Do you have any idea how many roads N50bn can build?
The money Odili et al stole, what happened to it? Hundreds of billions of naira stolen by their kin.

Now, for those of you claiming you support the struggle, step back and think a bit:

In Lebanon, hezbollah remains a millitant group. yet they run hospitals, build houses and roads and schools.
All the money MEND et al have gained from their operations, what have they spent on their fellow south-south man? Are they in the least like Robin Hood, robbing the rich to pay the poor, or are they merely exploiters, using the struggle as a front to make money.
in fact, most of the environmental damage in the South-South for the last couple of years is caused by the bunkering activities of these millitants.

So how do you plan to 'pacify' them? Give them more money so the elite keep eating and the poor keep suffering? the problem will not end no matter how much money you give them because little or nothing will trickle down to the common man, and they and their cronies will continue to benchmark themselves with their counterparts in Dubai, Oman and other oil-rich area, neglecting to factor in the insatiable corruption of their leaders.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by texazzpete(m): 10:55am On Nov 18, 2007
A sterling example of how these millitants do not care about the masses is the pathetic example of Wilbros.
When Wilbros had to pull out of Naija because of one kidnapping too many, thousands of nigerians (with the bulk of them being from the Soutn South) were rendered jobless. Did the millitants care? NO!
These same people will now face the harsh pangs of poverty, and in turn will become the rallying point for more millitants.

Let's say peace finally prevails and the govt. gives in to their demands. Will the millitants now raise the dead? All the innocent people that have been killed (reports say a pregnant woman died last week as a result of millitant activity, the Agip worker shot during the 2006 robbery attack, innocent people killed in PH and warri) don't they deserve justice too?
isn't it a disservice to moan about Odi massacre, then conveniently fail to mention the seven soldiers that were tortured, killed and beheaded, with their heads mounted on spikes? Don't they have mothers and fathers too?

As for those talking about suicide bombing, get real. No non-muslim Nigerian is likely to go blow himself up.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by smile4kenn(m): 2:41pm On Nov 18, 2007
@ Seun

you are speaking from a baised point of view
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Kobojunkie: 3:58pm On Nov 18, 2007
Those people need more than to be compensated for land that has been ruined for over 30 years with nothing done by the government over that period to help them. Those people need more than compensation for the fact that they have had pipes built to run above ground past their front doors and more. This is more than compensation issue. This is government realizing that these people have a right and to actually treat them with more respect.

Oil or not, these people have had homes in these areas way before oil was discovered out there.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by bashali: 5:03pm On Nov 18, 2007
The niger delta state of 6 state have collected more money than the 30 state of  Nigeria each month.  so why is the Niger delta still crying.  go to the ministry of finances website and see the figure,  It is tell the people need to face the truth , they have bad leaders,
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Nov 18, 2007
bashali:

The niger delta state of 6 state have collected more money than the 30 state of Nigeria each month. so why is the Niger delta still crying. go the ministry of finances and see the figure, It is tell the people need to face the truth , they have bad leaders,

LET ME GIVE YOU A CLUE, if the Niger States have collected more money each month and the people are still complaing , let me guess, maybe that is cause the money is still not getting to them and no one is doing anything to help the people directly ?
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by nigeria1: 5:58pm On Nov 18, 2007
last month the six state of the south south of  balyesa,delta,river, cross river, akwa ibom and edo state got collected    N41 billion from the federal of the total 116 billion to all the state.  this figure are from the ministry of finances.

So really the state of the south south collected 35.344% of the total revenue to state. which is high, but the money did not get to the people. what need to change is the way the money get to them. Look It should go to the local govt. I have said that over and over again. Let the derivation go to oil producing local govt and not the state,  And you would see a change in the people life,

http://NigeriaONE.com
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by texazzpete(m): 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2007
@Nigeria1
YEah, we'll see a change all right. You'll see super-rich local govt. chairmen and the same, empty-eyed people claiming neglect.
The people elect these leaders, these same freedom fighters bring these people to power through force of arms. When these governors rob them blind they make no move to stop them. Alams and Odili are prominent cases.

The people deserve their leaders. The Greed of Nigerians is insatiable.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by nigeria1: 6:26pm On Nov 18, 2007
No, if the money is closer to them it is better than far from them, that is why we have the problem. I do see your point. But it change it to local govt. And least we can point to thier local govt chairman and they would him eat thier money, and MEND can see why they have a problem. Here is what i said again,

""last month the six state of the south south of balyesa,delta,river, cross river, akwa ibom and edo state got collected N41 billion from the federal of the total 116 billion to all the state. this figure are from the ministry of finances.

So really the state of the south south collected 35.344% of the total revenue to state"""
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by ojimboIV: 6:31pm On Nov 18, 2007
@g benga,
i have been following the trend in the ND situation quite analytically, it is interesting to note that the crisis peaked just around the april elections. you'll agree with me that the best time for such an 'explosion' is at the transition phase, but it didn't happen. since then the activity has dwindled mainly because the major parties in the struggle have resorted to dialogue. now the breakout factions causing all sorts of atrocities are outlawed whether they like it or yes and have fallen into the class of common criminals that could be shot-on-sight. these outlaws you will have to agree with me are not fighting for the ND emancipation in whatever shape or form but after personal gains.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by nigeria1: 6:36pm On Nov 18, 2007
The other alternative is to divided the oil derivation to the state and share the money to the people of this state as welfare money. So instead of given the money directly to the state, we may pay the money directly to the people from the local govt where there is oil. We call it OIL welfare money.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by texazzpete(m): 7:25pm On Nov 18, 2007
nigeria1:

The other alternative is to divided the oil derivation to the state and share the money to the people of this state as welfare money. So instead of given the money directly to the state, we may pay the money directly to the people from the local govt where there is oil. We call it OIL welfare money.

So if in a village with no light and roads you hand each person N10000, what has that benefitted them?
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by nigeria1: 8:07pm On Nov 18, 2007
What are they benefiting now,  Nothing? except some few who milk them,  what different does it make,  Instead of odili ,alam, ibori getting the money, let all of them. get the money.
if they get N500 them , nobody would give 10,000 mr friend, every nigeria no fit give that,
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by Kobojunkie: 8:22pm On Nov 18, 2007
In Nigeria one can still talk of revenue collected?? It still remains that the fact that the lives of these people have barely been affected by the money being pooled into these states so far means something is wrong and the people are still in need. Giving them Naira 10,000 each is not going to make the problem go away. We are speaking of land destroyed by oil spills. Their main form of livelihood destoyed and many of these people owning land that is considered USELESS and with reduced worth. Those in leadership who are sucking up the money should be prosecuted by the federal government. I mean come on , even I understand these people are becoming more and more desperate by the YEAR cause it seems no one cares for them but the oil that can be taken from their land, while they get to suffer and not benefit much from the gold.
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by jerrymania(m): 8:27pm On Nov 18, 2007
nigeria1:

last month the six state of the south south of  balyesa,delta,river, cross river, akwa ibom and edo state got collected    N41 billion from the federal of the total 116 billion to all the state.  this figure are from the ministry of finances.

So really the state of the south south collected 35.344% of the total revenue to state. which is high, but the money did not get to the people. what need to change is the way the money get to them. Look It should go to the local govt. I have said that over and over again. Let the derivation go to oil producing local govt and not the state,  And you would see a change in the people life,

http://NigeriaONE.com

funny. then we start seeing the saraki's, fashola's,and co's fighting to be L.G.A Chairman.

ehn share derivation money as welfare money? How old are you? is this constitutional? is this politically correct?
Re: South South: A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode by texazzpete(m): 1:27am On Nov 19, 2007
Kobojunkie:

In Nigeria one can still talk of revenue collected?? It still remains that the fact that the lives of these people have barely been affected by the money being pooled into these states so far means something is wrong and the people are still in need. Giving them Naira 10,000 each is not going to make the problem go away. We are speaking of land destroyed by oil spills. Their main form of livelihood destoyed and many of these people owning land that is considered USELESS and with reduced worth. Those in leadership who are sucking up the money should be prosecuted by the federal government. I mean come on , even I understand these people are becoming more and more desperate by the YEAR cause it seems no one cares for them but the oil that can be taken from their land, while they get to suffer and not benefit much from the gold.

Don't believe the hype. there aren't that many lands 'destroyed' by oil spills. I dare say without a guide you will not be able to find any one yourself.
These guys were never much better than subsistence farmers and fishermen anyway. and the vast majority of oil spills in the past 5 years comes from illegal bunkering operations. no prizes for guessing which people carry out the bunkering.

I don't know about people getting more and more desperate when they constantly elect leaders they know to be crooks. look at the rousing reception given to Alams. all through his ordeal he wasnever regarded as having betrayed his kinsmen anyway.
Down to the village level everyone of these guys is hinkin gof how to make money for himself and shaft the rest

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Attorney-general’s Letter Set Ibori Free / Uwazuruike Of Massob Says A Christians Cannot Live With Muslims, Hence Biafra / Obama Considers Visiting Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.