Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,220 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. (32661 Views)

Vladimir Putin’s War Dogs Parachute Into Battle From 13,000ft ( Pix, Video) / Boris Johnson And Girlfriend, Carrie Symonds Move Into Downing Street / Boris Johnson Is The New Prime Minister Of The United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Igbofam2: 3:26pm On May 23, 2022
A veteran Russian diplomat to the UN Office at Geneva says he handed in his resignation before sending out a scathing letter to foreign colleagues inveighing against the “aggressive war unleashed” by President Vladimir Putin in Ukraine.

Boris Bondarev, 41, confirmed his resignation in a letter delivered on Monday morning at the Russian diplomatic mission after an official passed on his English-language statement to The Associated Press (AP).

“For 20 years of my diplomatic career I have seen different turns of our foreign policy, but never have I been so ashamed of my country as on February 24 of this year,” he wrote, alluding to the date of Russia’s invasion.

Reached by phone, Mr Bondarev - a diplomatic counsellor who has focused on Russia’s role in the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva after postings in places like Cambodia and Mongolia - confirmed he handed in his resignation in a letter addressed to ambassador Gennady Gatilov.

A spokesman for the mission did not immediately respond to calls and a text message from the AP seeking comment.

The resignation amounts to a rare - if not unprecedented - public admission of disgruntlement about Russia’s war in Ukraine among the Russian diplomatic corps, at a time when Mr Putin’s government has sought to crack down on dissent over the invasion and sought to quell conflicting narratives from the government line about how the “special military operation” - as it is officially known in Russia - is proceeding.

“It is intolerable what my government is doing now,” Mr Bondarev told the AP.

“As a civil servant, I have to carry a share of responsibility for that, and I don’t want to do that.”

Mr Bondarev said he had not received any reaction yet from Russian officials, but added: “Am I concerned about the possible reaction from Moscow? I have to be concerned about it.”

Asked if some colleagues felt the same, he added: “Not all Russian diplomats are warmongering. They are reasonable, but they have to keep their mouths shut.”

He suggested his case could become an example.

“If my case is prosecuted, then if other people want to follow, they would not,” he suggested.

In his English-language statement, which he said he emailed to about 40 diplomats and others, Mr Bondarev said those who conceived the war “want only one thing - to remain in power forever, live in pompous tasteless palaces, sail on yachts comparable in tonnage and cost to the entire Russian Navy, enjoying unlimited power and complete impunity”.

He railed against the growing “lies and unprofessionalism” in the Russian foreign ministry and took particular aim at foreign minister Sergei Lavrov, who he said in “18 years, he went from a professional and educated intellectual ... to a person who constantly broadcasts conflicting statements and threatens the world (that is, Russia too) with nuclear weapons!”

“Today, the ministry of foreign affairs is not about diplomacy. It is all about warmongering, lies and hatred.”

Mr Bondarev told the AP he had no plans to leave Geneva.

Hiller Neuer, executive director of the advocacy group UN Watch, said simply: “Boris Bondarev is a hero.”

“Bondarev should be invited to speak in Davos this week,” he added.

“And the US, the UK and the EU should lead the free world in creating a programme to encourage more Russian diplomats to follow and defect, by providing protection, financial security and resettlement for diplomats and their families.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/russian-diplomat-to-united-nations-resigns-put-ukraine-war-boris-bondarev-b1001823.html%3famp

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Igbofam2: 3:27pm On May 23, 2022
Here is the Letter he wrote.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Igbofam2: 3:27pm On May 23, 2022
Nairaland branch of Putin bots should come and read grin

This is an insider and top diplomat for Russia in the UN and he calls his government LIARS, WARMONGERS AND THOSE WHO SUPPRESS AND TWIST THE TRUTH grin

But Putin bots who are outsiders say the Truth comes from Russia and the Russia is not all about lies and propaganda grin

Who should we believe now? The high ranking Russian diplomat who is an insider of the Russian government or the Nairaland Putin bots? smiley

242 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by mymadam(m): 3:48pm On May 23, 2022
There's time for everything undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Nancy2020(f): 3:51pm On May 23, 2022
It is a free world.

There are many western analysts who have condemn nato moving towards Russia border but the evil globalization cult USA government has failed to listen to their opinion.

50 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 23, 2022
I daresay that there is no government/regime that does not have it's share of dissidents, contrarians and naysayers.
It is actually the norm, even in dictatorships, monarchies, and totalitarian (religious sectarian led) governed countries.

Every country has civil servants and elites who are "for and against " acts/policies/edicts/actions of the state or the ruler..

Classic example.... Nigeria: How do some parts of the population feel about Northerners being in controlling positions of the military, paramilitary forces and almost every meaningful government agency?

How do some people feel about the government's crackdown on IPOB and the laxity displayed with bandits and Boko haram?

I'm sure you get the point.

[/b]This is an insider and top diplomat for Russia in the UN and he calls his government LIARS, WARMONGERS AND THOSE WHO SUPPRESS AND TWIST THE TRUTH grin[b]

Every, and I reiterate, Every country on this planet from the Vatican city, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Japan, down to Iran etc, has an insider and top diplomat that would readily say the above about their government. .

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Igbofam2: 4:12pm On May 23, 2022
See them above typing while holding back tears grin

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by DerrickzB: 4:23pm On May 23, 2022
George Galloway a British PM condemned the invasion of iraq even before it happened, it wouldn’t be the first time an insider in a government condemns his or her government!!!

Anything else

Meanwhile your grand comedian zelensky said your soldiers are dying in their hundreds per day!! The war has been on for 88days abi?? Do your maths!!!

And we know it’s even more then that!! grin cheesy

This one enter una

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by gambojimeta: 4:26pm On May 23, 2022
Whenever the putin arselickers hear the bitter truth, the tears are about to roll down in 1,2,3..... grin

Oh it's already rolling in.

16 Likes

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by gambojimeta: 4:28pm On May 23, 2022
The guy quit in protest. She would now probably seek exile because returning to Russia will have the dictator kill him.

6 Likes

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by gambojimeta: 4:30pm On May 23, 2022
DerrickzB:

Meanwhile your grand comedian zelensky said your soldiers are dying in their hundreds per day!! The war has been on for 88days abi?? Do your maths!!!

This one enter una
100×88 = 8,880
Sounds realistic. He spoke the truth.

All the bombing of hospital, Train station and apartment building by Russia leads to death of civilians. Signs of frustrated Russian army adopting a scorched earth policy.

Anyway

Russia even lost more as at 26th of April, 2022.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Igbofam2: 4:30pm On May 23, 2022
DerrickzB:
George Galloway a British PM condemned the invasion of iraq even before it happened, it wouldn’t be the first time an insider in a government condemns his or her government!!!

Anything else

This one enter una

Condemns and resigns afterwards

You clearly didn't get the memo grin

Meanwhile Russian dead soldiers are piled up in refrigerated trains with Putin refusing to take them back to Russia because he does not want the Russian public to know the truth about their losses grin

Come and help them carry their almost 30,000 dead bodies bro grin

8 Likes

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Elvictor: 5:04pm On May 23, 2022
What took him so long? grin grin grin

Billion dollars don enter pocket

2 Likes

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by DerrickzB: 5:04pm On May 23, 2022
[s]
Igbofam2:

Condemns and resigns afterwards

You clearly didn't get the memo grin

Meanwhile Russian dead soldiers are piled up in refrigerated trains with Putin refusing to take them back to Russia because he does not want the Russian public to know the truth about their losses grin

Come and help them carry their almost 30,000 dead bodies bro grin
[/s]

George Galloway also left the Parliament after his tenure expires!!!

U should know you aren’t talking to a kid, Ukraine army and government do not take their own dead to bury or honor them properly, it is Russians soldiers that they’d pile up to send back to Russia!! Some of you I don’t understand what you guys drink ooo!!

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Igbofam2: 5:32pm On May 23, 2022
DerrickzB:
[s][/s]

[s]George Galloway also left the Parliament after his tenure expires!!!

U should know you aren’t talking to a kid, Ukraine army and government do not take their own dead to bury or honor them properly, it is Russians soldiers that they’d pile up to send back to Russia!! Some of you I don’t understand what you guys drink ooo!!
[/s]

U should know you aren’t talking to a kid, Russian army and government do not take their own dead to bury or honor them properly, Aljazeera already did a very detailed coverage about the refrigerated trains loaded full with Russians dead grin

Russia better go and take their dead rather than lying to their populace before they start stinking up Ukraine or used as sunflower manure.

Some of you Putin bots sha I don’t understand what you guys drink ooo!!

19 Likes

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by ken6488(m): 7:38pm On May 23, 2022
gambojimeta:

100×88 = 8,880
Sounds realistic. He spoke the truth.

All the bombing of hospital, Train station and apartment building by Russia leads to death of civilians. Signs of frustrated Russian army adopting a scorched earth policy.

Anyway

Russia even lost more as at 26th of April, 2022.
Do you know Ukraine richest part is under Russia

Oilfield, largest nuclear plant has been captured by Russia

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Dailymice: 8:30pm On May 23, 2022
sad
Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by SultanOfPuna: 8:30pm On May 23, 2022
Putins
Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:30pm On May 23, 2022
Peace is all we need in our world.
post=112729223:

Putin, end this WAR now.
All we want in our world is peace and more peace.
Let's make Love, not WAR.
Peace shall reign in our world �

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Nova1988(m): 8:30pm On May 23, 2022
angry
Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Cantonese: 8:30pm On May 23, 2022
Expect poison.

That’s what Putin has been accused of doing to his perceived enemies.

That man must hide by all means for his own safety.

“ He railed against the growing “lies and unprofessionalism” in the Russian foreign ministry and took particular aim at foreign minister Sergei Lavrov, who he said in “18 years, he went from a professional and educated intellectual ... to a person who constantly broadcasts conflicting statements and threatens the world (that is, Russia too) with nuclear weapons!

Today, the ministry of foreign affairs is not about diplomacy. It is all about warmongering, lies and hatred.”

So their are Lai(rs) like that in Russia too? Waoh. That one in the foreign ministry over there, while the other version is in the information ministry.

1 Like

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Drenimarcus2222: 8:30pm On May 23, 2022
There's no record of anyone named Boris Bondarev being employed by Russia's MFA. The diplomat he supposedly worked for, Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov, does exist, but all references to him end in 2018. Also, while I was doing my search at the MFA's English page, I was suddenly denied access, which is highly unusual, while nothing occurred at the Russian language page. Given AP is aka All Propaganda, and the content of the letter is so wrong, I'd say it's 100% Fake News. Plus, there's nada at MFA.

Lavrov recently stated "there are no traitors within Russia's MFA." Lavrov's diplomatic content is very consistent from one public appearance to the next and is nothing as described; indeed, it's the opposite. I know because I follow all his events.

Aha!! I just found the roster of Russia's Deputy Foreign Ministers and one Gennady Gatilov isn't one of the eleven posted. So, I'm 100% confident the AP item is 100% Fake News.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by gambojimeta: 8:31pm On May 23, 2022
Nancy2020:
It is a free world.

There are many western analysts who have condemn nato moving towards Russia border but the evil globalization cult USA government has failed to listen to their opinions.
Yes it is a free world.

That's why Russians are also fleeing the country and running from the dictator and madman called Putin.

The irony, some are even fleeing to the great United States of America (USA) grin

5 Likes

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 23, 2022
I dislike Putin like those dirty redpill boys on this site.
Ori gbogbo yin buru!
The man has destroyed Russia and he think he's preserving their honour.
What a mumuman!
You can't just wake up and say war is the solution to diplomatic row.
Like his jnr bros, Kim of North Korea & Erdogan of Turkey.
Common malaria drug they didn't manufacture during their tenure but can make nukes to destroy the world. It's pure evil spirits worrying them. Putin, Kim & Erdogan should be sent to Cele Church for serious broom lashing deliverance. grin

10 Likes

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by thundafire: 8:31pm On May 23, 2022
We go soon hear say him dn die,Putin death is drawing nearer

1 Like

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 23, 2022
The news doesn’t change the the fact that Russia is gaining ground in the east of Ukraine

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by pargelenis(m): 8:32pm On May 23, 2022
The guy go soon drink the special Putin juice … poison!

2 Likes

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by Slippy: 8:32pm On May 23, 2022
wEsTErn pRopAgAnDa .... cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boris Bondarev Resigns, Pens Scathing Letter Slamming Putin's War. by sweetjohn(m): 8:32pm On May 23, 2022
According to foolish Putin Arse licker this is Western propangada.

I have said this before and I will say it again. There are two types of super powers:
1. Those based on paper and display of useless nukes everyday... These are noise makers super powers. Countries in this categories are Russia and China
2. Those whose strength can only be felt on the battle ground. They are very slow to react but when they do, it will be disastrous. They classified they nukes and weaponry and make less noise about it. This countries have exhibited great strength in both ww1 and ww2. Strength that the world have never seen and no country have ever display such strength before. ww1 and ww2 are the most dangerous wars ever fought in the world that claims millions of lives. countries in this category are USA and Germany

Germany defeated many countries including Russia in ww1. The USA ended the war in ww1. In ww2, Germany invaded many top European countries and defeated them killed millions in Europe. Also invaded Russia and killed over 27 million almost 30 million people. That is the highest deaths in a single country (Russia) ever to be recorded in a war in history. The best scenario to understand this is to look at Lagos. Lagos is a densely populated state in Africa and one of the most populated places in the world yet her population is not upto 20million. If you have been to Lagos before you will understand how populated Lagos is. Germany killed over 27million people in Russia. Germany killed a population that is almost times 2 of Lagos population. That is just in Russia o. And the total number of deaths Germany had during the ww2 is less than 7million people. USA after defeated Japan helped Russia to defeat Germany again.

War is not fought by mouth, noise or on papers. War is fought on the battlefield, victory is achieved on the battlefield and strength is displayed in wars not by displaying of nonsense nukes everyday.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mass Shooting At Parachinar School, Pakistan. 7 Teachers Killed (disturbing Pix) / "We Are On Track To Win The US Election" - Biden Speaks (Video) / Why Is England More Developed And Stable Than America?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.