Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,914 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. (27828 Views)

The Dilemma Of A Family man with mouth to Feed And Unpaid Bills / Ernst&young Graduate Trainee 2018 / Sacked By Konga, Customer Service Rep Gets 30 Job Offers On Twitter In 24 Hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by omokudu(m): 3:45pm On May 26, 2022
harley88:

For banks, she should certainly go for Stanbic IBTC. It’s a good bank to work with.

KPMG is a very good choice though. The international name It carries is good on cvs.
The pay might not be as high as Stanbic though.

All in all, I don’t think she can make a mistake picking any of the four companies above. She must be a brilliant person to have gotten all four so she’d be Fine.

Pay may not be high, but overtime she will earn more cos the promotion rate in consulting is fast compared to the bank.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by omokudu(m): 3:48pm On May 26, 2022
wallisdon:
Bank job is better than meristem.My candid advise for her is to embrace any work out side the banking industry.There is no guarantee in the bank at all.Bank can sack any staff at any time without prior notice. If she can not secure any other job , she take the banking job and start saving immediately . While looking fo other good jobs like lecturing and other well secured job.

Lecturing ��
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Lastbornbuns: 3:50pm On May 26, 2022
KPMG should've cleared her confusion. What is she waiting for?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by omokudu(m): 3:54pm On May 26, 2022
Mayflowa:

she had wema bank too that she rejected!
I advise her not to miss her training to write a mere test. More so, she does not like accounting! Many people I have seen in KPMG complain of Job burnout, so it is not all fun there. If she got Meristem offer, she could take it. Meristem does investment, and the salary is good too. From Meristem, she can get into other experienced hire role she wants.

You should be glad her effort paid off! Many 2.1s are still looking for jobs for years!

She can take a day leave na ahbi she want make them tell her wetin to tell training school inorder to go for the test? Anyway advice don already plenty self, it’s left for you guys
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Bbbw: 3:57pm On May 26, 2022
Oh
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by omokudu(m): 4:04pm On May 26, 2022
Kerefi:
Thanks for all the answers so far. I really appreciate everything. Let me spill the beans. I think the major reason she does not like KPMG is because of what I passed through while writing my ICAN. She is so terrified of it but I believe she is brilliant and can do it.

For those saying she is yet to get the Stanbic and Meristem she did the final interview and she is 80% sure of getting both.

ICAN is not compulsory o, it’s just for higher pay, and secondly writing ICAN is dependent on the unit she finds herself (cos there are other exams that are unit dependent)
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by philexcel(m): 4:06pm On May 26, 2022
Ayinke93:

Run! No prospects for contract staff in banks. Did that nonsense for 26 months and I won’t advice my enemy to do the same.

bros i like your sincerity. but it offers like 130k per month. i just dey ponder o
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by IceColdVeins(m): 4:10pm On May 26, 2022
bolousadex:

banking job is amazing. Stop discouraging people. I have been a banker for about a Decade and I am doing very well. If you don't want to be marketer or an operator, the onus lies on you to study relevant courses or certifications so you can move to a more specialized department. There are more than 30 departments in a bank. I am in Finance, and been a banker for almost a decade now. Having worked in two banks, I am doing close to 1.6m/month with many perks. When you find yourself working in a bank, aspire to be a banker and not a bank worker....my two cents
Honestly, I'm just tired of these guys demeaning the banking career.
No gain saying, Banks are one of the highest paying organizations in Nigeria.

I told someone I have a colleague in his 30s who earns 2 milli plus per month, Till today, he still thinks I'm bluffing.

These ignoramuses can't see beyond the four walls of bank branches

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by MARX77(m): 4:57pm On May 26, 2022
Ajilenu:
I will speak cos I have worked with Gtbank before. Gtbank is a mad house but the money is good. If she gets transferred to where she'll have to interface with customer then it's gonna be quite stressful but she will definitely grow. For KPMG, I don't think the money is as good as Gtbank but except the name and the amount of knowledge she will gain. I will advice you to allow her make her decision but what you should tell her is at this stage, learning is paramount for her. Let her learn and not be money centric at this point else she wants to travel abroad.

Please what do you mean by a mad house?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by MoiMoiMafia: 5:19pm On May 26, 2022
God when
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by TheSociopath(m): 5:21pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:
My sister is 26 years and a graduate of Statistics from a federal university in the South East. There is an issue, more like a blessing. She had been writing aptitude tests since and failing but something remarkable is happening this year. She has been passing all the graduate trainee tests and interviews this year. She is at the final stage of Cerdar group, Stanbic, Meristem and Oilserv graduate trainee program. Just waiting for offer letters. She got an offer into Wema bank graduate trainee but rejected it because of 2 years bond. She is currently in Gt Bank graduate training school.

The issue is that KPMG just invited her for their test which is physical on Saturday. The Gt bank program runs from Monday-Saturday. I have been trying so hard to convince her to take take permission from the tutors at Gtb and go to write the KPMG test. She refused that she does not like Accounting as she read Statistics but she was open to it before this year and had been writing tests of different audit firms. I prefer KPMG to Stanbic and GT and want her to give it a shot.

She is 26 and this is her last chance at any graduate trainee program. Please what do you guys think? She is confused too.

KPMG ( yet to write the test)
GTB ( in training school already)
Meristem ( Waiting for offer letter)
Stanbic ( Waiting for offer letter)

Which among the above listed is the better choice for a graduate of statistics and is the KPMG test worth taking the risk. Please I need opinions from Nairalanders as I told her to allow me take my time to think about it.

Mods, please push to front page for more experienced professionals to help us. Thanks

Please join KPMG, it's not only accounting they do there!
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by abels(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2022
Tell her to take excuse from the tutors and go for the kpmg.. working for kpmg is the bomb..let her not miss the opportunity and she must not tell the tutors she's going for kpmg test if not Dem go block am
evuna:
My sister is 26 years and a graduate of Statistics from a federal university in the South East. There is an issue, more like a blessing. She had been writing aptitude tests since and failing but something remarkable is happening this year. She has been passing all the graduate trainee tests and interviews this year. She is at the final stage of Cerdar group, Stanbic, Meristem and Oilserv graduate trainee program. Just waiting for offer letters. She got an offer into Wema bank graduate trainee but rejected it because of 2 years bond. She is currently in Gt Bank graduate training school.

The issue is that KPMG just invited her for their test which is physical on Saturday. The Gt bank program runs from Monday-Saturday. I have been trying so hard to convince her to take take permission from the tutors at Gtb and go to write the KPMG test. She refused that she does not like Accounting as she read Statistics but she was open to it before this year and had been writing tests of different audit firms. I prefer KPMG to Stanbic and GT and want her to give it a shot.

She is 26 and this is her last chance at any graduate trainee program. Please what do you guys think? She is confused too.

Which among the above listed is the better choice for a graduate of statistics and is the KPMG test worth taking the risk. Please I need opinions from Nairalanders as I told her to allow me take my time to think about it.

Mods, please push to front page for more experienced professionals to help us. Thanks
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by harmony75: 6:11pm On May 26, 2022
Congratulations ❤️ she shouldn't choose a bank job!
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by NemoDatQuod(m): 6:51pm On May 26, 2022
One of the major challenges afflicting Nigeria is that everyone knows how best the other person should live their life. I am surprised that you are putting pressure on a 26 years old with regards to career choice.

If you want to have a mature and non-intrusive conversation with your sister, the best you can do is to point out to her the benefits of your suggestion.

I started my career with PwC and it not only took me around the world and exposed me to people I would not have know at such a tender teenage phase, it also gave me the opportunity to make of myself what I will. A KPMG career will afford your sister the opportunity to determine where she will live on this planet earth, what career to pursue if she does not get along with accounting and the opportunity to be the best she can be. I found accounting very boring and once I qualified, I deviated to what I love doing. I didn't get to fully comprehend what I love doing until I had spent that time at PwC.

There may be a lay off of personnel tomorrow at GTB and she may be involved. But four years at KPMG will set her up for life, if she is a thinking, hardworking person. That may be the simple conversation you need to have with her and then leave her in peace to chart her own course. She alone will take the blame ( if it goes pear shaped) and the accolade (if it goes well).

Don't forget she will have her own reasons for not wanting to join KPMG. During my time at PWC, a good number of the graduates fresh out of school had a median age of 22. Some were still teenagers. Your sister is 26, an age at which most of those who want different careers will already be on their way out of KPMG. That may be one of her considerations. But only a mature, respectful and listening conversation will make her be open with you.

All the best!

evuna:

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by franchasofficia: 7:29pm On May 26, 2022
Your sister is a wife material cheesy

But bank job will reduce her chances of getting married to a well to do man, that's if she is not already married.

Most honorable Nigerian men are usually scared of marrying bankers, dunno why, so your sister should be careful in her decision and also let her involve God
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Worksunlimited: 9:09pm On May 26, 2022
evuna:

Kpmg is better.. Alot of opportunities
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Yinksy09(m): 11:52pm On May 26, 2022
KPMG is a very good place to work. I would say follow your heart and hopefully you make the right decision.

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by 9icetoo(m): 6:45am On May 27, 2022
evuna:

First of all, tell her to forget about oilserve. It's a service company in the oil and gas sector. Mainly into construction unless she wants to explore the engineering and technical side of things.
She should explore the KPMG opportunity.
They offer an array of services to firms besides accounting. They do a whole lot in the finance world.

However, in doing this, she should not jeopardize her chances in gt bank. If she can't get them to give her the day off to go write the test, she should forget about it.

A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush.

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by phemmyfour: 7:16am On May 27, 2022
evuna:

All bank jobs should be deleted
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Trojan8(m): 7:36am On May 27, 2022
Revolution2022:
She is connected.Dont let the op deceive you.

It's not always about connection sha. I was in a similar situation some months back without knowing anybody. In fact mine was three offers, and I had to drop a few interviews after making a choice.

Do your due diligence, and you would be fine.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by OlaRolls(m): 8:40am On May 27, 2022
Do you need a POS terminal terminal plus full support and tutorial on the business for profitablity?
Buzz me up
08037*272*006
Call/WhatsApp

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Tundex911: 2:17pm On May 27, 2022
9ja palava
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by IamAsiri: 3:36pm On May 27, 2022
Ayinke93:

I think he’s better off sitting at home and learning a tech skill. Trust me, this is the best thing anybody can do for themselves.

I think he can manage both. He just has to know what he's doing. Sitting at home can eventually lead to frustration if nothing is forthcoming in terms of funds. One year is not too much to sacrifice to rake in few cash so that he can be able to afford some of the gadgets he will eventually need. He can also meet wonderful and interesting along his one year journey plus he can be open to rare opportunities. Never say never. He can't just discard the prospect just because it seemingly does not have future.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Ajilenu: 5:04pm On May 27, 2022
MARX77:

Please what do you mean by a mad house?
like it's a fast paced environment. Especially in the customer facing department like marketing. Is she in the training school in Lagos? I'm guessing Ikeja MBA or Iyana Ipaja yeah?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by MARX77(m): 5:51pm On May 27, 2022
Ajilenu:
like it's a fast paced environment. Especially in the customer facing department like marketing. Is she in the training school in Lagos? I'm guessing Ikeja MBA or Iyana Ipaja yeah?

Oh I get. Please I sent you a PM. Kindly respond
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Ajilenu: 8:22pm On May 27, 2022
MARX77:

no time for that. Here's my number 08137137224.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Ajilenu: 9:22pm On May 29, 2022
MARX77:

didn't get your pm but you can send me a message on Whatsapp. I left my number
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Olaidereuben96(m): 6:24pm On Jun 06, 2022
Bro, please I want to discuss some things with you in regarding to the Stanbic Ibtc own. Please how can I connect you?
Thanks.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Kanmiii: 6:46pm On Jul 11, 2022
No chances for 2.2 graduates?

By all means, KPMG!!
It’s an international audit firm and their pay, well, simply put, is like ‘blood money’. They PAY WELL!!
Let her find a way to get there - it is absolutely worth it. But here’s the catch…KPMG is HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. Having a 2.1 is in no way a guarantee, it’s just a propeller. They give preference to 1st class and SOUND 2.1 graduates but be rest assured that once you’re hired, like they say here on nairaland, heaven don pick your call o!
I’m speaking from experience - trust me![/quote]
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Trojan8(m): 7:24pm On Jul 11, 2022
Kanmiii:
No chances for 2.2 graduates?

By all means, KPMG!!
It’s an international audit firm and their pay, well, simply put, is like ‘blood money’. They PAY WELL!!
Let her find a way to get there - it is absolutely worth it. But here’s the catch…KPMG is HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. Having a 2.1 is in no way a guarantee, it’s just a propeller. They give preference to 1st class and SOUND 2.1 graduates but be rest assured that once you’re hired, like they say here on nairaland, heaven don pick your call o!
I’m speaking from experience - trust me!

At entry level, zero chance.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by Clicked: 1:10am On Sep 16, 2022
@evuna Please can you ask your sister how much GT bank pays graduate trainees, both during training and after training?

I'm kind of in her situation right now and I'm so confused. I need to know the pay so that I can make an informed decision.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. by victomerc11: 4:16am On Sep 16, 2022
Vacancy in Ibadan
Alakia/Iworoad axis

Assistant class Teachers
kindergarten class Teachers
Primary Teachers

Role:
Professional teaching of nursery and primary school pupils

Requirement:
NCE, B.ed, and other related discipline.

Attractive Salary

How to apply:
Call 08129288292

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview / Mactay CBT Invite For Globacom CCR / This Is For You If You Are A Graduate Searching For A Job Instead Of Some Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.