Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Should I Drop Out Or Not? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Drop Out Or Not? (13316 Views)

Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Pursuing Money Vs Education: Should I Drop Out Of School? / Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 11:34am On Jun 01, 2022
I'm 22, currently in my 3rd year (first semester) of a 5year course - Elect Elect. The problem is it's a course I have no passion or likeness for.

A lot of days, since 20lvl to be exact, I'm in class and I'm like "What am I doing here?". I see how my coursemates faces light up when something new is being taught or when practicals are going on but it's the exact opposite for me. I'm unattentive in 80% of the classes and no matter how hard I try, I'm never as focused during practicals like the rest cus I just don't have any interest in going on.

The two solutions I'm considering :
The first is to change courses, although that will set me back a year which means I'll be 25 by the time I'm done, 26 if NYSC is calculated. I already lost 4yrs waiting for admission so the thought of being setback another year makes me cringe esp when I'll be just a few years from 30 when I'm eventually done. That is if the possibility of yet another ASUU strike isn't considered o. Time is precious.

The second is just dropping out and maybe going to one of the recognised IT institutions to study an industry course cus I still have interest in IT related stuff. Infact, it was once a discussion during the days I was still home struggling to get into school so I'm sure I'll be backed. If I were to change courses sef in school, it would've been computer science. Another advantage of this for me is I'll be in Lagos permanently where I'll have opportunities to do several other things I want to do by the side as opposed to being in Ogbomosho (which is dead) where my school is. I never wanted to leave lag in the first place bit unilag had other ideas.

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

Would appreciate if this was moved to fp.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 11:34am On Jun 01, 2022
A little backstory of how I got here :

Right from sec school, I'd always thought I'd be an arts student. I always topped the class in English and Literature scoring 100% in tests and exams in the junior classes so I was confident in my choice of discipline. However, my principal and parents didn't agree with me. When we got to SS class, my principal came to take me away from art to science class on the first day, asking me what I was doing there. When I had the discussion with my parents too, they were adamant my future lied in the sciences cus "There are better paying jobs there than in the arts" and "I'm too brilliant to be in arts". Unfortunately, my principal shared the same sentiment about the latter. Omo, not like I'm a straight A student o (currently on 2-1) small book wey person know, dem pressure me.

I didn't think I knew better than them all so I accepted. Even if I didn't, I wasn't going to win that battle, I was just 13 or so. Fast forward to when I was about to choose my course of study in uni, I opted for computer science but my mom wouldn't have any of it cus the person who helps her repair her phone in Ikeja studied the same course and laments how he turned to the profession cus he couldn't get a job. I even suggested Computer Engineering but she said I should choose Elect Elect instead cus "it covers all the parts of engineering, computer included". When a parent wants you to do something, there's not much you can do really.

I became so determined to study the course and it was part of the reason I didn't get admitted on time cus each year, the cut offs kept increasing and I wouldn't budge, trying and trying again when I could've opted for another course. Now I'm in school studying the course and not only is it nothing like she said it was gonna be, I absolutely despise it. If only I could turn back time sha.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by God1000(m): 11:37am On Jun 01, 2022
I think you should change course instead of dropping out

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:44pm On Jun 01, 2022
Get your degree even if its a third class or a pass degree since you are interested in IT. You will need your degree for immigration purposes except you dont plan to leave Nigeria. The class of degree or GPA doesnt matter in the field of IT except you wanna go back to academia. Its already too late to quit. Finish up and leave with your degree

76 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Carmal90(m): 12:54pm On Jun 01, 2022
Finish up, you are on 2-1 presently, if you can't maintain that, pls strive to graduate with 2-2...

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by planetE(m): 4:18pm On Jun 01, 2022
Since you do not have intense passion for the course that you are currently studying, I will gladly advice you to change your path to where your desires and strength lie. Your age is not a factor to be put into consideration because you are still relatively young. So do not follow the path that will make you unhappy and frustrated for the rest of your life.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by salbis(m): 4:18pm On Jun 01, 2022
Many drop outs made it in life, but choose your drop out wisely.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Motrah: 4:18pm On Jun 01, 2022
sad
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Investorozay: 4:18pm On Jun 01, 2022
U go far already
If u wann leave a course
Make e no be after year 2
undecided

As for counting years. Does not matter. With the right skills and network you can record 20 year achievements in 1 or 2 years.

Whatever you do make sure you have a serious ict skill or know how to trade online. Or have a good business acumen

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Belial06: 4:19pm On Jun 01, 2022
I don't care whatever you do

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by BigDawsNet: 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
Continue the program

When you graduate... you can run masters in COmputer science

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Nongovernmental: 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:
I'm 22, currently in my 3rd year (first semester) of a 5year course - Elect Elect. The problem is it's a course I have no passion or likeness for.

A lot of days, since 20lvl to be exact, I'm in class and I'm like "What am I doing here?". I see how my coursemates faces light up when something new is being taught or when practicals are going on but it's the exact opposite for me. I'm unattentive in 80% of the classes and no matter how hard I try, I'm never as focused during practicals like the rest cus I just don't have any interest in going on.

The first is to change courses, although that will set me back a year which means I'll be 25 by the time I'm done, 26 if NYSC is calculated. I already lost 4yrs waiting for admission so the thought of being setback another year makes me cringe esp when I'll be just a few years from 30 when I'm eventually done. That is if the possibility of yet another ASUU strike isn't considered o. Time is precious.

The second is just dropping out and maybe going to one of the recognised IT institutions to study an industry course cus I still have interest in IT related stuff. Infact, it was once a discussion during the days I was still home struggling to get into school so I'm sure I'll be backed. If I were to change courses sef in school, it would've been computer science. Another advantage of this for me is I'll be in Lagos permanently where I'll have opportunities to do several other things I want to do by the side as opposed to being in Ogbomosho (which is dead) where my school is. I never wanted to leave lag in the first place bit unilag had other ideas.

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

Sleep Over it and wake up to think about this with a Clear and Settled Mind.

Continue thinking about this with a clear and settled mind until you find out the answers that will benefit you without the involvement of anyone's advice.

Best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by GoodBoi1(m): 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
Just
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Lordbinsmar: 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
angry

Guy no jonze yourself oo. EE is one of the best engineering discipline oo. You can easily dive into IT sector if you are sound in EE. Some of the top guys in EE department during my days in OAU are fully into software engineering and the like. I studied mechanical engineering, but I am about to start my IT career through my masters programme. The IT part covers areas like internet of things, data analysis, autonomous systems, digital twin, virtual and argumented reality. It's just a specialization in my MSC course. I have seen several schorlars on Linkdlin with engineering background such as mech, elect, chemical and civil having an IT career.

Also, if you feel you really want to study computer science, start afresh, but make sure you have a solid GPA. A first class if possible.

Lastly, don't let any stupid Nigerian tell you say school naa scam no answer them ooo. They want to spoil your life..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by livinbygrace: 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
The best for you is to change to another course,and sacrifice one year instead of dropping out.Elect/Elect na A list course and needs total concentration. No need of wasting your time in doing that course else you will regret it.I am talking from experience

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by englishmart(m): 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
Just try and complete it, then you completely abandon the certificate. I KNow of a medical doctor that's currently a shoe cobbler and a petrochemical engineer that's selling suya.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Ejiakusmith(m): 4:21pm On Jun 01, 2022
A
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by TolueneDc(m): 4:21pm On Jun 01, 2022
Facing similar issue here also,I was forced by my parents. I'm fustrated

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by seanwilliam(m): 4:22pm On Jun 01, 2022
Just finish what you started before embarking on another journey . Learn how to develop passion for something .. May God be with you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Yemlizzy(f): 4:22pm On Jun 01, 2022
Some parents and pushing courses on their kids which is utterly wrong, better to know their interests and guide them towards it.

Anyways the deed has been done, if you can manage to graduate do so or drop out and do the IT course you mentioned.

The IT or tech field is the new oil money especially as you can work remotely while doing other things. All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Justiceleague1: 4:24pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

You better go for deliverance.
Anybody,even an agberoes can enrol for any IT related course in any institution. You are studying a very beautiful course,Elect/elect and you here whining,omg!!!!!! And you are already in300l!!!!!

I know a friend who cried bitterly when he was denied that course in school.

Stir up yourself,boy,that's course is a very lucrative course,it's the basic course for everything technology.

Don't allow village people do you o!!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Felabrity: 4:24pm On Jun 01, 2022
Don't ever drop out
Unless you are not financially stable

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Felabrity: 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2022
There is even a chance you might not even get admitted
Or fail jamb
Or lose the zeal of school
Just 2 more years to go

Don't rush it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by SmartyPants(m): 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

An extra year is nothing. I was 26 when I went back to school to start all over in a second degree. In the grand scheme of your life, where you may hopefully live up to 70 and more, that one year will be absolutely nothing.

But are you certain it is comp science you really want? i would advise that you start taking some IT courses now before you switch so that you can be sure.

Education is best when you enjoy it so don't labour through something that you won't even be able to defend )since you don't pay attention).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Sam0(m): 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2022
Keep trying, you are almost there and you will be glad you did.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Maj196(m): 4:27pm On Jun 01, 2022
I like elect-elect sha

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back / How To Meet Your Heroes And Get Them To Partner With You In Career / ICAN Registrations Exemptions Exam Fees And Other Matters Arising

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.