Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? (19812 Views)

Should I Drop Out Or Not? / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Pursuing Money Vs Education: Should I Drop Out Of School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 25, 2018
If a man can see the future and consequence of his every action then I believe no man will make a mistake but nature never design it that way.

After my ssce I join my uncle in business and was making enough money and even open account with two different bank but my aspiration was to go to school. after I wrote jamb and pass, my uncle who I was doing the business with began to advice me seriously to forget about school and make enough but I never listen and instead I thought he was just jealous although he is also a graduate but no job made him start the business which later benefit him.

Fast forward to months later I got admission and spent almost all my money for school expenses and rent because my parents were poor and am even the first child of the family so I did all the admission expenses with my saving .then I return to square one with hunger in school just in the name of university education which I later regret.

Am currently in 200 level but the funny thing is that I have lost all passion for school and don't even like going for lectures. The regret is still eating deep in me because with the way I see graduate living in peanut salary I ask myself what stupid enthusiasm even push me to school. please am thinking of dropping out of school now and to use this 100k which my aunty in London sent for me to continue in business and then later learn a skill in IT instead of wasting it to pay for school fee.

Please I will need advice from you all.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 6:30am On Dec 25, 2018
Which course are you studying at the university? So I can advice you well.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 25, 2018
CityNGR:
Which course are you studying at the university? So I can advice you well.
its B.sc(Ed) statistics/computer science.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by whitebeard(m): 6:33am On Dec 25, 2018
Guy many student are wishing to drop out...some just do any course in school that's not hard just so they can have Time for business..! But if u are certain u would make money from it..it OK to drop out..I have friends who dropped out for business and they are fine..!

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 25, 2018
Wow, You such a critical thinker buddy, I approve of your decision however Education is important. Here is how you go about it, Start a business from the money you were sent and soon as that business starts flourishing, Sign up for a part time program around your city or Noun university. By so doing, you killed two birds with one stone and congratulations, You just made life easier for yourself knowing the fact that most graduates earn peanuts.

115 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 6:35am On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:

its B.sc (Ed) statistics/computer science.
Education? If you are IT inclined.... My advice will be take a first degree along with your biz. If possible part time... Open university is there. Whatever biz you do ensure that you are learned!!

Take a transfer to the open university program... Which is a part time program and continue with your biz.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Abyima(m): 6:51am On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:
If a man can see the future and consequence of his every action then I believe no man will make a mistake but nature never design it that way.
after my ssce I join my uncle in business and was making enough money and even open account with two different bank but my aspiration was to go to school. after I wrote jamb and pass, my uncle who I was doing the business with began to advice me seriously to forget about school and make enough but I never listen and instead I thought he was just jealous although he is also a graduate but no job made him start the business which later benefit him.
fast forward to months later I got admission and spent almost all my money for school expenses and rent because my parents were poor and am even the first child of the family so I did all the admission expenses with my saving .then I return to square one with hunger in school just in the name of university education which I later regret.
am currently in 200 level but the funny thing is that I have lost all passion for shool and don't even like going for lectures.the regret is still eating deep in me because with the way I see graduate living in peanut salary I ask myself what stupid enthusiasm even push me to school. please am thinking of droping out of school now and to use this 100k which my aunty in London sent for me to continue in businesd and then later learn a skill in IT instead of wasting it to pay for school fee.
please I will need advice from you all.
My dear, the only advice I can give to you is to continue your school. It's just two years remaining. The society doesn't value waec holder anymore. BSc today is just like waec. Please I beg you, continue.

I know it is not easy. I saw myself through school. It wasn't easy for me. I did all sort of business while in school ranging from selling perfume, soap, doing assignment for people and even writing projects for people, e.t.c. I am now a graduate today with first class even. But I am keeping my certificate to face business . Right now, I am doing my own business waiting for nysc. I am a business guru just like you.

Please endure and continue , because of tomorrow. Biko. Waiting time is not wasting time.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by MVLOX(m): 7:59am On Dec 25, 2018
I will be back with my opinion
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 25, 2018
Abyima:
My dear, the only advice I can give it you is to continue your school. It's just two years remaining. The society doesn't value waec holder anymore. BSc today is just like waec. Please I beg you, continue.

I know it is not easy. I saw myself through school. It wasn't easy for me. I did all sort of business while in school ranging from selling perfume, soap, doing assignment for people and even writing projects for people, e.t.c. I am now a graduate today with first class even. But I am keeping my certificate to face business . Right now, I am doing my own business waiting for nysc. I am a business guru just like you.

Please endure and continue , because of tomorrow. Biko. Waiting time is not wasting time.
I never said I want to work for anyone, infact I don't intend to. I want to be self made and have my own employee.talking a useless certificate to be searching for job is what I have rebuke in my life.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Dreyl(m): 8:16am On Dec 25, 2018
Follow any decision you think is right for you. Schooling here is a waste of time and resources, and also when you get your degree to get a good job is very slim, it's just luck. You can only get if you have connections, this is what works in this country.

If you have money just start your business empire and you won't regret it, perhaps. If you know what you are doing.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 8:34am On Dec 25, 2018
Dreyl:
Follow any decision you think is right for you. Schooling here is a waste of time and resources, and also when you get your degree to get a good job is very slim, it's just luck. You can only get if you have connections, this is what works in this country.

If you have money just start your business empire and you won't regret it, perhaps. If you know what you are doing.
You cannot start a biz empire absent relevant education

2 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Laird(m): 8:38am On Dec 25, 2018
Go and focus on your business that brings in money

And go to school on weekends part time

3 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by ahiboilandgas: 8:39am On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:
after my ssce I join my uncle in business and was making enough money and even open account with two different bank but my aspiration was to go to school. after I wrote jamb and pass, my uncle who I was doing the business with began to advice me seriously to forget about school and make enough but I never listen and instead I thought he was just jealous although he is also a graduate but no job made him start the business which later benefit him.
fast forward to months later I got admission and spent almost all my money for school expenses and rent because my parents were poor and am even the first child of the family so I did all the admission expenses with my saving .then I return to square one with hunger in school just in the name of university education which I later regret.
am currently in 200 level but the funny thing is that I have lost all passion for shool and don't even like going for lectures.the regret is still eating deep in me because with the way I see graduate living in peanut salary I ask myself what stupid enthusiasm even push me to school. please am thinking of droping out of school now and to use this 100k which my aunty in London sent for me to continue in businesd and then later learn a skill in IT instead of wasting it to pay for school fee.
please I will need advice from you all.
u can still do both transfer to open university or partime and concentrate 9j your bussiness ....my main break through came from bussiness despite having mba

4 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Dreyl(m): 8:53am On Dec 25, 2018
CityNGR:

You cannot start a biz empire absent relevant education
I've seen some guys who made alot of cash without any degree, I have a friend who started a business here with $5000, 8 years ago. Presently this guy lives in highbrow area in lekki, drives luxury rides, his wife and kids are in london. he also has shares in top firms in Nigeria, while two of my friends that finished with first class and second class upper don't have anything doing.

Degree here is trash, unless you school in UK, Canada or USA, then after school you are guaranteed a good job.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 8:56am On Dec 25, 2018
Dreyl:
I've seen some guys who made alot of cash without any degree, I have a friend who started a business here with $5000, 8 years ago. Presently this guy lives in highbrow area in lekki, drives luxury rides, his wife and kids are in london. he also has shares in top firms in Nigeria, while two of my friends that finished with first class and second class upper don't have anything doing.

Degree here is trash, unless you school in UK, Canada or USA, then after school you are guaranteed a good job.

I have seen a lot of bizmen go bankrupt and end up in suicide...Neither here nor there... But your friend understands the importance of relevant education

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 25, 2018
smiley

You should have listened to your uncle. He is educated and knows that there are no jobs. Education is expensive.
Education may not make you rich but doing a legitimate and profitable business will.

Even me that has a 2:1, my certificate is in my bag. Education gives us an edge and when the opportunity comes, you are prepared but you can have the best of the two worlds.

If you had continued and started your business, you can take a part-time course in any school of your choice. I know many people who have done it.

Since you are in 200L, I would advice you to stick it out till the end. If you go back to business you will start from square one.

The salary range of an average graduate(those that have a paid job) is:

Salary Range ----------------- % of graduates
25-50000 --------;- 70-75% (most fresh graduates)

50,000-100000 -------------- 10-15% (experienced)

100000- 150,000 -------------6% -10% (managers)

150,000- 250,000 --------------5% -7% (more experience, qualification, man-know-man, God's grace)

250,000 and above ------------ 5% or less (more experience, qualification, man-know-man, God's grace)

But as a business man, you can make any of the salary ranges with your freedom, no queries, no shouting, no sack, etc. A business man may not make sales for a month but a day sales profit can fetch you seven months (or so) salary of someone.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Groovenaija360(m): 9:28am On Dec 25, 2018
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by lilmax(m): 9:28am On Dec 25, 2018
Education is important not grades....just have sense that's all

19 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by mrkings84(m): 9:29am On Dec 25, 2018
Whichever, what matter is ur overall success

2 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by tellwisdom: 9:30am On Dec 25, 2018
Yes, at the end, nothing but money is the end result

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by tempex88(m): 9:30am On Dec 25, 2018
Never!!!
Never!!!
Never!!!
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 25, 2018
Had it been I get better business wey dey pay me well before I gain admission, i swear I for no go school. Brother drop out if you can't continue, and start up that business.
Instead look for your younger sibling and send to school. Since you are the first born.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by AmeLonRo(m): 9:31am On Dec 25, 2018
Business is good and school will help your business. The contacts you make in school will help your business later. Even Robert Kiyosaki had good education. Check my blog for more details.

Check how to get a scholarships abroad by sending me a private message or at https://newkokoro.com/2018/12/25/the-major-difference-between-winners-of-scholarships-grants-or-fellowships-and-those-who-dont-is-applying/

3 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 25, 2018
Oga you have already started it, just complete the school...School nor dey take time and as you are pursuing a skill in IT, a first degree is very relevant...don't drop out of school coz that means you have wasted both time and money which you may regret..

Those of you saying follow ur heart, no one can advice you than urself,intuition, etc ....una be fooooool..
He's confused that why he came to share his problem with us and you are compounding more problems for him..If he had a choice , he wouldn't have come here.

9 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Oblongata: 9:32am On Dec 25, 2018
Intuition my brother!

No one can give you the answer except you!!!
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by VivaLaFrans: 9:32am On Dec 25, 2018
It depends. if you are going into rendering goods or services that people cannot do without, like Pharmaceuticals, Electric cables and transformers, Food items storage and distributorship or wholesale, Clothing industry, Automobile spare parts and batteries, e.t.c... then you are good to go.

But if you are going into some small businesses, my guy you need school cert to back yourself up incase their is a better offer
Although most successful men in these businesses have their hidden secrets... You need a supernatural backing from either God or Juju...

3 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by yesloaded: 9:32am On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:

After my ssce I join my uncle in business and was making enough money and even open account with two different bank but my aspiration was to go to school. after I wrote jamb and pass, my uncle who I was doing the business with began to advice me seriously to forget about school and make enough but I never listen and instead I thought he was just jealous although he is also a graduate but no job made him start the business which later benefit him.

Fast forward to months later I got admission and spent almost all my money for school expenses and rent because my parents were poor and am even the first child of the family so I did all the admission expenses with my saving .then I return to square one with hunger in school just in the name of university education which I later regret.

Am currently in 200 level but the funny thing is that I have lost all passion for school and don't even like going for lectures. The regret is still eating deep in me because with the way I see graduate living in peanut salary I ask myself what stupid enthusiasm even push me to school. please am thinking of dropping out of school now and to use this 100k which my aunty in London sent for me to continue in business and then later learn a skill in IT instead of wasting it to pay for school fee.

Please don't drop out, you are still young. Add side hustle to your academics & before you know it you are done then you have time for your business. Take it or leaf it, your certificate is not useless even when you don't use it to secure employment.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by babyfaceafrica: 9:33am On Dec 25, 2018
you lack planning...simple!!...people do both and make it!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by AbuMaryam1(m): 9:33am On Dec 25, 2018
If you want to be rich and happy don't go to school.

Name one billionaire professor.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by proffemi: 9:34am On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:

The first important question (course of study) has been answered.
Another important question: what is the nature of the business you were into pre-school?
Also, is this the same business you see yourself focusing on if you abandon school?
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Trouble1: 9:34am On Dec 25, 2018
Op . I am in your shoes right now . But mine is slightly different.
I lost my dad two years ago when I was in OAU ,I was in my first year’s second semester.
He was my sole benefactor then and sometimes I go days without good food cos my dad reluctantly sent me to school in the first place, so the pocket money he sends to me is not regular . But thank god for good friends. I often eat their food with no remorse .
Sometimes I even had to join labourers in ongoing constructions in the school premises and earn N1500 per day so I can get something to eat .
So ,when my dad died unexpectedly. I decided to withdraw from school cos I know if I don’t . I will suffer and become useless in that school and probably forced to withdraw in the end .
Many people tried to persuade me to not withdraw. Some even tried to blackmail me to not withdraw. But I never bulged . I packed my clothes and moved out of Awo. Back to my father’s house .
I tried to do some capital intensive buying and selling business with my very little or no capital . But I had to stop that business after about a year cos things weren’t just working out fine at all ! then I did some other random things and somehow I got some money .
Then I decided to try run a degree program in NOUN . Even though I know that the money Can only run a session successfully. I proceeded . That was around March earlier in the year .
Well , fast forward to today . I have completed a session in NOUN and I’m waiting to start another semester/session in January by gods grace .

Ps: I still don’t have a particular paying job . The only way I get little money now is from my random investments. And the money is very little .
I want to learn driving too ,so I can at least be open to more opportunities .
Life is hard bro . Life is so hard .
People are not nice too .
I’ve literally spent all my savings on this school stuff ,its also taking most of my Returns on investment.
But I have made a decision that I will never liquidate any of my investments to pay any fees . If I don’t have money to continue, I will rather take a long or short break then continue later when I can afford to .
I hope I get a good job sometime too . Business is hell !

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? / 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work / Can A 35 Year Old Still Get Appointment Into Federal Civil Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.