Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,583 members, 7,843,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

The Worst Thing About France: Traveling There Is A Nightmare! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Worst Thing About France: Traveling There Is A Nightmare! (918 Views)

Which State Has The Worst Capital In Nigeria? / Warri-Bayelsa-PortHarcourt Link Road: The Worst Road In South-South Nigeria / What’s The Worst And Weirdest Experience You’ve Had At A Hotel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Worst Thing About France: Traveling There Is A Nightmare! by ExploreWithToy: 4:16pm On Jun 02, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGm3a3fYpnY

If you’re planning on traveling to France, you may want to reconsider your itinerary. Most tourists and expats who go to France are shocked to find that traveling there can be a real nightmare! The most common complaints? Expensive public transportation, confusing road signs, lousy customer service, and much more! If you’re curious about the worst thing about France, keep reading to learn what it is, how to avoid it when traveling there, and why it’s such an issue in the first place.

Driving
Paris can be a nightmare of traffic. In fact, some experts have called it one of Europe’s worst cities for driving. That doesn’t mean that you should cancel your trip to Paris, but you should know that traffic in Paris is notoriously bad—and it often makes for slow travel between tourist destinations. For example, if you plan on visiting both Versailles and The Louvre from central Paris, don’t expect to do it all in one day (unless you want to spend most of your time sitting in traffic). Instead, divide up your days so that at least one day is devoted to each destination.

Walking
The worst thing about going to France is walking. Everywhere you go in Paris, people are walking. But unlike other major cities that have wide sidewalks for pedestrians to walk on (and cars for people to drive), Paris has narrow sidewalks and cobblestone streets, which makes it incredibly hard to get around—especially if you’re there with several suitcases or a stroller or both. You can rent baby carriages at most airports, but they’re not permitted in public transportation, which means you’ll have to haul your stroller into an elevator and down some stairs before you’re allowed on a subway or train.

Litter
The Worst Thing About France--Litter: By far, my least favorite thing about traveling to Paris and other parts of France is litter. From cigarette butts on sidewalks to empty beer cans in parks, it’s clear that many of France’s residents are not as concerned with keeping their surroundings clean as Americans. I understand that parts of Europe have different ways of looking at things than we do—in fact, I love that—but littering is just one habit I wish they’d give up so I could appreciate them more. It seems like common sense to me that you don’t leave your trash around where it could easily fall into storm drains or water systems and wind up somewhere even worse than where you dropped it in the first place.

People
The first problem is that they’re completely unable to speak English. I went to one place where I was lucky enough to find someone who could communicate in English with me, and even then they were hard-pressed for words. It seems like it should be easy to just get a translator on your phone, but their phones can’t accept foreign SIM cards and aren’t set up for international calls or texts, which is really frustrating. I wasn’t really able to use Google Translate because of how bad their language skills are, so you might want to bring an interpreter with you if you plan on going anywhere other than touristy spots

Language Barrier
If you're going to be traveling internationally, odds are you'll end up in an unfamiliar country with an unfamiliar language. That can be intimidating and stressful, especially if you don't have any friends or contacts in your destination city. The worst thing about Paris? The language barrier. Although most Parisians speak English, they still tend to speak very quickly, which makes it even more difficult for non-native speakers to understand them. If you’re visiting and hoping to chat up locals, try taking some beginner French classes first—even just one class can make it much easier for you to hold basic conversations with people around town.
Re: The Worst Thing About France: Traveling There Is A Nightmare! by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 02, 2022
ARRANT GIBBERISH NONSENSE!!!!
yes we may be difficult people, but Paris is no worse than any other mega European city, like London etc
but hey, let me help you:
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT is fantastic in Paris, we have some of the best public transport in Europe, therefore its normal that it would be expensive. nothing is free in life!
- DRIVING is indeed a nightmare and thats because the gov is trying to reduce cars coming into the city, thus restricting many major access, in order for people to use public transport, and in return have less pollution in the city.
- WALKING....is the attraction of Paris. the beauty of the city lies with its streets/architecture and therefore we aint gonna change that. as for baby carriage, i dont know what the hell you are talking about....any baby carriage is allowed on public transport...STOP WRITING RUBBISH ONLINE!!!!
- LITTER....you must be joking or talking about the litter after a long weekend....but hey, so long as we dont have rats running the city (like the dog-like rats of NY), we good!
- PEOPLE ... sadly, French people DO speak English, the difference is that we are so proud of what/who we are that we believe that we aint got to change for nobody. expecting people in France to speak any other language is highly stoopid. the French language is part of the attraction, so get with the program and learn some French!

but if you are gonna talk about the bad things of that great country/city, let us bring the good point of that city:
- TOURIST ATTRACTION/LANDMARKS: ....le Louvre, la tour Eiffel, Notre Dame, les champs Elysées, L'arc de Triomphe, Montmarte, Versailles, Sacré-Cœur, Disneyland, Pigalle, Musée d'Orsay, Centre Pompidou, etc etc
- FANTASTIC FOOD... some of the best culinary experience you will ever have in your life, is located in Paris
- FANTASTIC WINE HISTORY... we have some of the BEST WINE IN THE WORLD....and if you aint a wine lover, we also have the best champagne in the world (Dom Perignon, Moët & Chandon, Veuve Clicquot) AND the best cognac in the world too (Hennessy, Remy Martin, Courvoisier, Louis XIII, Martell, Bisquit & Dubouché, Hine etc) .
- FANTASTIC FASHION CULTURE Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Dior, Hermes, Louboutin, Yves Saint Laurent, Cartier etc
- FANTASTIC SHOPPING... all the best brand in the world can be found here... and with so many shopping mall, you wont be left out!
- BEAUTY OF FRENCH ARCHITECTURE: just look up and see what a beautiful city Paris is.
- FRENCH ART... Monet, Degas, Gauguin, Rodin, Renoir, Matisse, Cézanne etc
- FRENCH LIFESTYLE... the way we experience life, or shall i say: our SAVOIR VIVRE...is second to none. just sit at a café and order a croissant and just enjoy life going by!
- FRENCH GREENERY... we have so many great parks where to enjoy a fantastic day out and about.... Jardin du Luxembourg, Square des Batignolles, Champ-de-Mars, parc Monceau, bois de Boulogne, bois de Vincennes, Parc des Buttes Chaumont, jardin des plantes etc etc
Jardin des Champs-Élysées,
- FRENCH ETHNICAL DIVERSITY... France is an ethnic melting pot of black blanc beur (black white and arabs) and every shade in between.
- PARIS LOCATION... we are right in the middle of Europe and you are never too far from any other big European cities.

let me also just point out, for the fun of it, that we are also WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS, we are home to one of the best player in the world Mbappé, one of the best team in the world, aka PSG (thanks to Arab money though), one of the most romantic city in the world, one of the most vibrant city in the world, therefore you have NO VALID REASON AS TO WHY YOU SHOULDNT GO DISCOVER THE FANTASTIC CITY OF PARIS!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Worst Thing About France: Traveling There Is A Nightmare! by ExploreWithToy: 3:39am On Jun 10, 2022

(1) (Reply)

Nairalander Based In Germany? Host Needed. / Advice on living in Nigeria / Us Currency Exchange For Naira Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.