Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) (61969 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Highlandgee: 7:38pm On Jun 03, 2022
Nigerian woman, Sarah Soyemi brutalized by Ontario police officers outside mall

A London, Ontario based Nigerian woman who was selling detox tea outside White Oaks Mall says a police officer grabbed her without explanation and another officer punched her, leaving her with a black eye, before she was charged with various offences.

Sarah Soyemi, 36, was charged last week with failing to leave the premises when directed, resisting arrest and assaulting a peace officer.
"It's just been a lot. It's so unbelievable," said Soyemi, a single mother of twin boys.

She posted about the incident on social media, and it has been viewed and shared thousands of times.

On Thursday, the London Police Service (LPS) said it is conducting an internal review to understand what happened.

"While we disagree with some of the particulars of how this interaction has been described, the LPS takes all allegations of this nature very seriously, and as such the chief has directed that a review of this incident be conducted," Const. Sandasha Bough wrote in an email.

A London police news release issued May 11, a day after the incident, says an officer had approached the woman and she "refused to leave when directed. When the officer advised the woman that she was under arrest for trespassing, she resisted arrest and became combative with police."

The release says more officers were dispatched to help, and at that time "the suspect continued to assault the officer and resist arrest."
"Both the officer and the suspect sustained minor injuries," it says.

'Don't touch me,' Soyemi says she told police

According to Soyemi, she was in the White Oaks Mall parking lot talking to people about the tea she sells as an independent contractor when she was approached by a security guard.

Soyemi said she told the guard she planned to leave within an hour.

"Because I'm still new here in London, I haven't met a lot of people and I usually go to the mall where people leave their homes and go," said Soyemi, who moved from Toronto to London six months ago.

She left Nigeria in 2018, and said she supports her family with her tea sales and money from the Ontario Works program.
Soyemi said that when a police van pulled up alongside her, she didn't realize it was for her.

"[The female officer] came out of the van and charged at me. She didn't have any conversation, I didn't get to see who she was — she just came right out of the van and tried to hold on to me."

Soyemi said she stepped back and yelled to the officer, 'Don't touch me. I didn't do anything so why are you coming to touch me?'

https://www.facebook.com/116318751079669/posts/pfbid0uVxF6Rnm8YpNiVAQsT5AVCk4H445TLgQPpg4TYAkqVDTSoHCsoVjQucCAHQmvz3Dl/

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Malory: 7:39pm On Jun 03, 2022
I hope it is not racially motivated but women can run their mouth sha

176 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by God1000(m): 7:42pm On Jun 03, 2022
Too bad, why assaulting a woman over baseless and unfounded accusations.

This is a rare incident sha, at least Canada is better than some western countries when it comes to racism

The stupid officers that brutalized her should be arrested and prosecuted

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by ajekpaks(m): 7:43pm On Jun 03, 2022
sad
Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Newphiligeek123: 7:45pm On Jun 03, 2022
She looks like a trouble maker though grin

256 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Newphiligeek123: 7:46pm On Jun 03, 2022
Malory:

True, cos there's racism everywhere, even in Canada

25 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jun 03, 2022
Human right abuses by the police is much more in Nigeria than Canada.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Golan007: 7:51pm On Jun 03, 2022
Revolution2022:
Human right abuses by the police is much more in Nigeria than Canada.

So they should let the offcers be.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Zonefree(m): 7:52pm On Jun 03, 2022
Malory:
So, the eye had to suffer for the misbehaviour of the mouth

251 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Newphiligeek123: 7:56pm On Jun 03, 2022
Golan007:

So they should let the offcers be.

Nigerians do not obey simple instructions. Period. There's no way she can be brutalized like that without her struggling with the cops.

92 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Highlandgee: 7:58pm On Jun 03, 2022
Zonefree:

grin grin grin

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Golan007: 7:59pm On Jun 03, 2022
Newphiligeek123:

Nigerians do not obey simple instructions. Period. There's no way she can be brutalized like that without her struggling with the cops.

In fact, she's guilty of every crime imaginable.

She should even be sentenced to a lifetime in prison.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Newphiligeek123: 8:07pm On Jun 03, 2022
Did you read where it was said she failed to leave the premises when directed, resisting arrest and assaulting a peace officer?

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Munamoqel: 8:16pm On Jun 03, 2022
Highlandgee:
Source: https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper

Nigerian woman, Sarah Soyemi brutalized by Ontario police officers outside mall

A London, Ontaria based Nigerian woman who was selling detox tea outside White Oaks Mall says a police officer grabbed her without explanation and another officer punched her, leaving her with a black eye, before she was charged with various offences.

Sarah Soyemi, 36, was charged last week with failing to leave the premises when directed, resisting arrest and assaulting a peace officer.
"It's just been a lot. It's so unbelievable," said Soyemi, a single mother of twin boys.

She posted about the incident on social media, and it has been viewed and shared thousands of times.

On Thursday, the London Police Service (LPS) said it is conducting an internal review to understand what happened.

"While we disagree with some of the particulars of how this interaction has been described, the LPS takes all allegations of this nature very seriously, and as such the chief has directed that a review of this incident be conducted," Const. Sandasha Bough wrote in an email.

A London police news release issued May 11, a day after the incident, says an officer had approached the woman and she "refused to leave when directed. When the officer advised the woman that she was under arrest for trespassing, she resisted arrest and became combative with police."

The release says more officers were dispatched to help, and at that time "the suspect continued to assault the officer and resist arrest."
"Both the officer and the suspect sustained minor injuries," it says.

'Don't touch me,' Soyemi says she told police

According to Soyemi, she was in the White Oaks Mall parking lot talking to people about the tea she sells as an independent contractor when she was approached by a security guard.

Soyemi said she told the guard she planned to leave within an hour.

"Because I'm still new here in London, I haven't met a lot of people and I usually go to the mall where people leave their homes and go," said Soyemi, who moved from Toronto to London six months ago.

She left Nigeria in 2018, and said she supports her family with her tea sales and money from the Ontario Works program.
Soyemi said that when a police van pulled up alongside her, she didn't realize it was for her.

"[The female officer] came out of the van and charged at me. She didn't have any conversation, I didn't get to see who she was — she just came right out of the van and tried to hold on to me."

Soyemi said she stepped back and yelled to the officer, "'Don't touch me. I didn't do anything so why are you coming to touch me?'"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper
Read the latest news about Nigerians living abroad on Afrotimes News

na the Canada wai Nigerians dey sell property and resign to travel .think we'll she might be a bank manager now selling tea in Canada

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by doggedfighter(f): 8:16pm On Jun 03, 2022
Did she leave when she was asked to leave?

Or she told them she will leave at her own time which was ' within the hour'?

Do our people work as GNLD tea hawkers in Canada ?

I am just asking questions. I just want to understand some things.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Highlandgee: 8:20pm On Jun 03, 2022
Munamoqel:
na the Canada wai Nigerians dey sell property and resign to travel .think we'll she might be a bank manager now selling tea in Canada

I doubt it. Actually, lots of riff-raffs are now entering Canada these days.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by uchaymart(m): 8:45pm On Jun 03, 2022
She probably got a punch because she would have been shouting " I know my fundamental human rights" "freedom of speech" bla bla ......then the Nigerian-canadian oyibo police gave her upper cut....

17 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by DannyFX2638: 9:26pm On Jun 03, 2022
We need visa so we can relocate to a saner clime.

Saner clime:

82 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by ednut1(m): 9:40pm On Jun 03, 2022
Selling tea in a car park She was told to leave. A white man may have faced same treatment too. Next

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Malory: 10:08pm On Jun 03, 2022
Zonefree:

Talk anyhow and collect anyhow

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by techWriter3: 10:18pm On Jun 03, 2022
She seems like a problems company though

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Highlandgee: 10:51pm On Jun 03, 2022
Malory:
Talk anyhow and collect anyhow
grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Cousin9999: 10:57pm On Jun 03, 2022
Oyinbos are demonic.

But people will be fired and charged behind this. And she will win a law$uit.

They also need to charge the people that call the police. There's no way this was just a random encounter. It's a combination of rëtards in the community who call the cops with false reports or purely out of racism, and then their fellow rëtards swoop in.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by ednut1(m): 11:25pm On Jun 03, 2022
Munamoqel:
probably an asylum seeker who crossed from usa

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Originalsly: 11:36pm On Jun 03, 2022
Hmmm..... she receives money from Toronto Works Programme... but is living in London. She was told to leave the premises but refused ... warned by the Police ... but gave them mouth. "Don't touch me?"... how can she be arrested and not touched? To fight the Police is the last thing she should do. I can see her being packaged and return to Canada... and Canada returning her to dear Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by int0x80(m): 1:00am On Jun 04, 2022
Originalsly:
Hmmm..... she receives money from Toronto Works Programme... but is living in London. She was told to leave the premises but refused ... warned by the Police ... but gave them mouth. "Don't touch me?"... how can she be arrested and not touched? To fight the Police is the last thing she should do. I can see her being packaged and return to Canada... and Canada returning her to dear Nigeria.
London is a city in Ontario.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Karlovych: 2:55am On Jun 04, 2022
embarassed Sarah Soyemi and a single mother I'm not surprised one bit, spits.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by Originalsly: 4:35am On Jun 04, 2022
int0x80:

London is a city in Ontario.

Thanks!... my bad. .. never knew that! Was wondering how she moved to the UK ... and was still collecting.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by MaskSubzero: 6:17am On Jun 04, 2022
DannyFX2638:

Saner clime:
hahahahaha grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by IamANigerianMan: 6:25am On Jun 04, 2022
Newphiligeek123:

But if were Nigerian police that did this, your yeyebrity would have taken over Internet with their rubbish by now.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by IkeIgboNile(m): 7:05am On Jun 04, 2022
DannyFX2638

Saner clime:

Imagine if she was handled by 9ja police? She would clearly look a lot different than this.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo) by lereinter(m): 7:22am On Jun 04, 2022
This swelling no be here O.

Not sure na beating joor

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Info Needed On Nigeria's E-passport / Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. / Allen Roundabout Wears New Look (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.