Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! (1308 Views)

How Would You Feel If A Relative Intrude Your Privacy Like This? / Can I Start A Family On A 60k Per Month Salary???? / Sould Couples Maintain Joint Accounts For Goodness Sake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by frankkky: 8:41am On Jul 20, 2011
i just watched a documentry tittled "the dark side of facebook"honestly we should be very carefull the way we share private information and pictures on facebook especailly pictures of our kids,if possible dont even post pics of ur kids on fb, let them decide when they become of age if they want their pics on the socail network,the truth is nothing really gets deleted on facebook,no comments nothing and those things you think are private are really not as complete strangers can have access to your life and seemly innocent comments can be twisted and taken out of the contxt of meaning and even be used against you tommorow,na wah o,remember facebook is first and formost a business and the more you share the more they make money so its even in their interest that you share all your privare information,please my people be warned o and be very carefull,protect your family!!!a family was completely wiped out by a serial killer on fb,when questioned by the police he said he gathered all he needed from the facenook profile of his victim!!!!wait for this the killer was not on even on the friendlist of the victim neither was he registered on facebook.pls my people be warned,hackers can get any information on social networks once posted!!!
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by duno: 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2011
I hope they listen.
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by Bawss1(m): 3:48pm On Jul 20, 2011
I think people underestimate the extent of damage that can be caused by displaying personal information on social networks and public forums. There are miscreants and lowlifes that prowl the internet looking for such information and details to exploit. Be careful, especially for your children, they have a right to be protected.
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by Bawss1(m): 3:52pm On Jul 20, 2011
^
By miscreants I’m not just referring to serial killers but also con artist, scammers and thieves. Those types abound in this country.
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by rubi(f): 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2011
Not only on facebook but most social network. Thank God I realised this long time ago

A word is enough for the wise

1 Like

Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by livedit(f): 4:46pm On Jul 20, 2011
This is scary, but definitely a rude awakening. Hopefully, people take heed to this post. I try to choose carefully what I post on Facebook. Because like you said, it can always come back and bite you in the "behind". That goes for people who you "friend" on those boards. So many vulgar and explicit pictures. That don't look good either. For livedit, she don't understand why people use that feature of "checking in" your location so people can see a map of where you are.

1 Like

Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by madoba: 6:21pm On Jul 20, 2011
This is just one of the many reasons I won't subscribe to facebook. Naturally I'm a private and reserved person. I also don't like people getting all up in my business so facebook, twitter and other social networks do not hold much of an appeal to me.

Was on facebook for a very short time though because of all the hype about it when it first came out, but I unsubscribed before you could say Jack, it's not just my cup of tea.

Sad story though, am guessing this happened in the US (Soddom & Gommorah), In my opinion there are too many sick & sadistic people living in that nation.

1 Like

Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by iice(f): 6:23pm On Jul 20, 2011
livedit:

For livedit, she don't understand why people use that feature of "checking in" your location so people can see a map of where you are.  

Lmao! neither do I.
Actually don't even see the point of putting much details out there.  

1 Like

Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by busybody20: 6:24pm On Jul 20, 2011
thank God i no dey fb grin
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by Talkyaown: 7:30pm On Jul 20, 2011
thanks
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by kindla(f): 10:33am On Jul 21, 2011
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook!
« #4 on: Yesterday at 04:06:20 PM »

Not only on facebook but most social network. Thank God I realised this long time ago

A word is enough for the wise
tell dem kus dey dn;t undastand dat
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by oncolor: 3:29pm On Jul 21, 2011
frankkky:

i just watched a documentry tittled "the dark side of facebook"honestly we should be very carefull the way we share private information and pictures on facebook especailly pictures of our kids,if possible dont even post pics of your kids on fb, let them decide when they become of age if they want their pics on the socail network,the truth is nothing really gets deleted on facebook,no comments nothing and those things you think are private are really not as complete strangers can have access to your life and seemly innocent comments can be twisted and taken out of the contxt of meaning and even be used against you tommorow,na wah o,remember facebook is first and formost a business and the more you share the more they make money so its even in their interest that you share all your privare information,please my people be warned o and be very carefull,protect your family!!!a family was completely wiped out by a serial killer on fb,when questioned by the police he said he gathered all he needed from the facenook profile of his victim!!!!wait for this the killer was not on even on the friendlist of the victim neither was he registered on facebook.pls my people be warned,hackers can get any information on social networks once posted!!!

You can as well tell people to not allow their kids to step out of the house. Putting your family pictures on facebook is not the issue, there are privacy settings that allows only the friends you added on facebook to view your pictures, and if as you claim the guy was not on their friends list and he somehow hacked into their facebook then facebook or no facebook any serial killer can monitor a victim by standing in a public park, shopping mall, grocery store, anywhere. As long as you don't put your home address on your facebook profile, and you monitor the people you add as friends then the issue you described above is completely random. I am sure you have heard of the phone hacking scandal rocking the U.K, anybody can hack your phone and listen to your voicemail or messages by just knowing some basic hacking skills. Your emails are not safe either, so do we stop using technology because of random threats? All it takes is common sense by following simple privacy rules like this http://www.wikihow.com/Protect-Your-Private-Information-on-Facebook

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by livedit(f): 6:33pm On Jul 21, 2011
iice:

Lmao! neither do I.
Actually don't even see the point of putting much details out there.

Right! grin I be like, I surely hope you don't have any enemies. They know where you are. I've seen people post their phone number on there for another person to call them.

1 Like

Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by frankkky: 9:01am On Jul 22, 2011
@oncolour,with all due respect your comments are contradictory,first you say i might as well ask people to keep their kids at home what kind of talk is that?!!! and then u say yes there are indeed hackers who can indeed get at ur information on fb,i think you should read through my post again,i am talking of online issue and information posted on fb and not about the physical movements of our children.of course life itself is a risk but we must be carefull in all we do, and yes if going out at certain times is risky i will keep my kids indoors,the point i am making here is that we should be carefull the way we share private information or even comments on fb .
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by oncolor: 4:53pm On Jul 22, 2011
frankkky:

@oncolour,with all due respect your comments are contradictory,first you say i might as well ask people to keep their kids at home what kind of talk is that?!!! and then u say yes there are  indeed hackers who can indeed get at your information on fb,i think you should read through my post again,i am talking of online issue and information posted on fb and not about the physical movements of our children.of course life  itself is a risk but we must be carefull in all we do, and yes if going out at certain times is risky i will keep my kids indoors,the point i am making here is that we should be carefull the way we share private information or even comments on fb .

I am not saying you do not have valid points, in fact you are very much correct on the aspect of putting unnecessary information (Home address for example) and those that make idiotic comments on Facebook that can get them in trouble with the law or even their employers. The point I was trying to point across is that telling people not to post their kids pictures or personal pictures on Facebook is not the issue, since Facebook was created to share your pictures in the first place. The issue is controlling the privacy settings so that not every Tom, Hitler and harry can access your page. I made the statement "you might as well ask people to keep their kids at home" to illustrate the point that even going out with your kids involves risk and if you say because i don't want strangers to see my kids pictures on Facebook, are there no strangers outside when you go shopping or visit the beach or wherever you go with your family? ( hope you get my analogy this time). The same way when you go out with your kids you watch over them, that is the same way you use the privacy and security settings on Facebook to keep your page safe.

1 Like

Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by frankkky: 11:17am On Jul 23, 2011
am so sorry for not understanding your point clearly,i understand your point perfectly now
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by olanajim(m): 2:51pm On Jul 23, 2011
well?

it is well!
Re: For Goodness Sake, Protect Your Privacy And That Of Your Family On Facebook! by onmakpo: 7:49pm On Jul 23, 2011
In life there are pros and cons to everything.

(1) (Reply)

Is A Factor In Choosing A Spouse Based On How Potential Children May Look Like? / Who Did She Offend? / Why Do Some People Prefer Lodging In The Hotel To Their Own Houses?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.