Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,203 members, 7,815,190 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) (1877 Views)

Interactive Thread With Nairaland Owner. Come In With Your Questions! / "Nairaland 2.0" Is Live! Any Questions Or Feedback? / Nairaland 2 Wealth <welcome> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by ds700(m): 5:59pm On Jul 20, 2011
Its either the commentators make mockery of the problem that the poster is expecting to get solution for or they look out for wrong spellings/use of English. (ESPECIALLY THE VERY POPULAR/BIG NAMES ON NL i don't want to mention names)

Must one be a perfect English writer before tabling personals problem(s) on here?

Almost all customer care lines in Nigeria accept complains in at least 3 Nigerian major languages so "not so well written English" should be entertained if the primary objective of this noble site must be achieved.

So many social ills that are not associated with Nigeria has so far been crippling in the recent times, of which i believed that proper addressing of important life threatening issues on NL can help minimize.

You must not contribute on all matters especially those you know nothing about.

Thank you.

This problem is mostly associated with ROMANCE SECTION, so let it remain there.
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Mynd44: 6:15pm On Jul 20, 2011
Well what they/we try to point out is that with bad gramar, it is difficult to read through most of the questions. If your English is not that good try PIDGIN. Some OPs sometimes come here to ask questions my 12 year old cousin dare not ask. What kinda reply are they expecting? And of course you have to agree that the jokes makes everything a lot more intresting becuase a smile goes a long way
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by ds700(m): 6:28pm On Jul 20, 2011
Mynd_44:

Well what they/we try to point out is that with bad gramar, it is difficult to read through most of the questions. If your English is not that good try PIDGIN. Some OPs sometimes come here to ask questions my 12 year old cousin dare not ask. What kinda reply are they expecting? And of course you have to agree that the jokes makes everything a lot more intresting becuase a smile goes a long way

All IQs are not equal, after-all a very normal person will commit suicide that alone shows a big deficiency.

Talking about errors, am referring to very minor grammatical errors which only perfect speakers.writers can observe and at the end of the day all the comments under the very important issue that needs urgent attention will be making of grammatical corrections. IT IS WRONG!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by 195(f): 7:59pm On Jul 20, 2011
example of such thread that should be applauded according to the OP

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=715085.msg8733799#msg8733799
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by toyemz(f): 8:10pm On Jul 20, 2011
@poster

Must one be a perfect English writer before tabling personals problem(s) on here?

YES OH!

Ask 190!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by 195(f): 8:33pm On Jul 20, 2011
^May pigeon chase you tomorrow as u waka pass them tomorrow angry angry
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by toyemz(f): 8:38pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^^^

professor of english!!

amen
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by 195(f): 8:42pm On Jul 20, 2011
grin grin shey them said we shouldnt use english

thats what i dey follow angry angry
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by toyemz(f): 8:45pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^
may rats nibble ya toes as you dey sleep tonight make you come dey dream say na NL beauty dey touch you

( Amen)
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by 195(f): 8:49pm On Jul 20, 2011
^May one old british woman slap you tomorrow for stepping on her toes in a trainĀ  angry angry
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by toyemz(f): 8:56pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^^

sorry im in nigeria
cant and wont happen!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by 195(f): 9:00pm On Jul 20, 2011
^madam i know say u are not in nigeria
thats why i said british and i said train angry angry
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by toyemz(f): 9:02pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^

yes i am
i hope you know who you are referring to here

British and train ke
how i wan take eye see that one
abeg
i be ya next door neighbour for abuja!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by 195(f): 9:15pm On Jul 20, 2011
ROTFL grin grin
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by toyemz(f): 9:20pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^^

drink Redbull

it should give you wings!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Phate07(m): 10:01pm On Jul 20, 2011
ds700:

Its either the commentators make mockery of the problem that the poster is expecting to get solution for or they look out for wrong spellings/use of English. (ESPECIALLY THE VERY POPULAR/BIG NAMES ON NL i don't want to mention names)

Almost all customer care lines in Nigeria accept complains in at least 3 Nigerian major languages so "not so well written English" should be entertained if the primary objective of this noble site must be achieved.

So many social ills that are not associated with Nigeria has so far been crippling in the recent times, of which i believed that proper addressing of important life threatening issues on NL can help minimize.

You must not contribute on all matters especially those you know nothing about.

Thank you.

This problem is mostly associated with ROMANCE SECTION, so let it remain there.

This is a public forum and you should be able to articulate yourself well inorder to be understood. And one way of doing that is by having a good command of the English language.
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Rocktation(f): 10:40pm On Jul 20, 2011
@POSTER- You get time oo. Sotey u come de fight for us wey nor de articulate well. Na wah. So with this now, what d'you plan to achieve, ehn? What exactly are you demanding of the Mods? That they ban anyone that points out an incorrect grammar or what? Guy, just de try couple your own englishes ehn. That way, i wouldn't have to open a similar kind of thread for you, as a return favour.
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Mynd44: 3:05am On Jul 21, 2011
The OP really does not need to be showing of his backside here cos it stinks
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 21, 2011
Chai. I can't believe someone is complaining about others being criticised about his or her command of the English language. The only reason people would take time to make such criticisms in the first place is because they care; if it didn't bother them, they wouldn't mention a thing. I point out grammatical flaws all the time. If I or someone else does not correct them, they will continue to make those flaws. Imagine if your parents saw you making flaws and they never corrected you. Would you have the ability to log onto this website and complain at all? I doubt it.

People can speak any language they want on this website. There are some language threads in the Culture section, are there not? My issue is people always forming like they know English but they start using words and tying phrases together by force. I al5o h8 wen ppl typ lyk dis. <----- I ignore these people, but as for anyone who is trying to type a coherent English phrase, I correct them. I appreciate it when people correct me as well. Do onto others as you'd like others to do onto you.

What anyone says is not fact, written in stone, a command, or law. If you don't like it, then ignore it. Simple.

By the way, "Its" needs an apostrophe.
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by ds700(m): 8:11am On Jul 21, 2011
ogugua88:

Chai. I can't believe someone is complaining about others being criticised about his or her command of the English language. The only reason people would take time to make such criticisms in the first place is because they care; if it didn't bother them, they wouldn't mention a thing. I point out grammatical flaws all the time. If I or someone else does not correct them, they will continue to make those flaws. Imagine if your parents saw you making flaws and they never corrected you. Would you have the ability to log onto this website and complain at all? I doubt it.

People can speak any language they want on this website. There are some language threads in the Culture section, are there not? My issue is people always forming like they know English but they start using words and tying phrases together by force. I al5o h8 wen ppl typ lyk dis. <----- I ignore these people, but as for anyone who is trying to type a coherent English phrase, I correct them. I appreciate it when people correct me as well. Do onto others as you'd like others to do onto you.

What anyone says is not fact, written in stone, a command, or law. If you don't like it, then ignore it. Simple.

This is exactly wot am talking about, before or after pointing out the errors please ensure that you say something about the solution to the thread, but a situation where your only contribution becomes grammatical critics isn't good.

As a child if i should use a wrong English to ask for a drinking water, i will definitely receive the water before corrections.

Ogugua onye-ocha. Oburo iwu, omasi m ntupoo ya, maka na ka m na atuporo ya ihe, ighotakwara ihe nkwuru. Inula?
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 21, 2011
ds700:

Ogugua onye-ocha. Oburo iwu, omasi m ntupoo ya, maka na ka m na atuporo ya ihe, ighotakwara ihe nkwuru. Inula?
Chei! grin OP has lost it! Ibo boy! C'mon Si nga puo!!! angry
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Meklex(m): 9:23am On Jul 21, 2011
I understand the Op well enough cos I have experienced the fast growing norm of english lang. Critics in this romance section, english language is very controversial lang. And those who thinks they knew it more than others are just putting on a mask whilst looking in a damned mirror. I remembered writing a word COLOUR while someone corrected or rather justified himself that it should be COLOR but with lots critics and demoralizing vocabularies which would be enough to make a debut writer think twice.
I haven't seen a book without and editor todo the proof reading but without any CRITICS!,
no body is perfect,
OP CARRY ON WITH YOUR PROTEST. Shikena!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by claremont(m): 9:30am On Jul 21, 2011
@OP: RELAX!!! One of the attributes of any online forum are members who are willing and able to toss online banter amongst each other, don't take it seriously, it's just banter. It will interest you to note that those persons on here who claim to be the "English Language experts" are nothing but delusional armchair critics who know absolutely nothing about the way English words would be "chewed". I have given out my share of harsh criticism, and I have also received a fair share of harsh criticisms; the bottom line is in Nairaland, we take no prisoners, the earlier you and other lily-livered forum members understand that, the better. 1luv
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2011
claremont:

@OP: RELAX!!! One of the attributes of any online forum are members who are willing and able to toss online banter amongst each other, don't take it seriously, it's just banter. It will interest you to note that those persons on here who claim to be the "English Language experts" are nothing but delusional armchair critics who know absolutely nothing about the way English words would be "chewed". I have given out my share of harsh criticism, and I have also received a fair share of harsh criticisms; the bottom line is in Nairaland, we take no prisoners, the earlier you and other lily-livered forum members understand that, the better. 1luv

Hmm! Prof has Spoken! Any other input that is not in line with the above is NULL AND VOID!!! angry angry grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Meklex(m): 9:47am On Jul 21, 2011
claremont:

@OP: RELAX!!! [b]One of the attributes of any online forum are members who are willing and able to toss online banter amongst each other
its not true I have been to many social sites like that of philipines, indonesia, russia etc where the subject of discussion is taken seriously and not guided by lack of punctuations in a sentence like someone just mentioned that ITS should be punctuated, Its alright though but not in a way that will make the victims to suck. Shikena!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by claremont(m): 9:55am On Jul 21, 2011
^^^^
Does it take so much energy to type a simple apostrophe (') in order for a word to be complete?!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Meklex(m): 10:08am On Jul 21, 2011
claremont:

^^^^
Does it take so much energy to type a simple apostrophe (') in order for a word to be complete?!
u got it all wrong, whats important is the message being conveyed by the words and not the apostrophe. Shikena
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Rocktation(f): 10:13am On Jul 21, 2011
Meklex, pardon mi but none of those countries you mentioned, actually speaketh englishes as a major languagesss. So i guess anyone can be pardoned on their sites, don't you thinketh?
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Rocktation(f): 10:19am On Jul 21, 2011
And ds700, you and i know that our parents corrected us almost too quickly and before we get water. Else. . . you know how it is with kids.
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Meklex(m): 10:33am On Jul 21, 2011
Rocktation:

Meklex, pardon mi but none of those countries you mentioned, actually speaketh englishes as a major languagesss. So i guess anyone can be pardoned on their sites, don't you thinketh?
philipines and indonesia speaketh english and russia speaks a littol english but not with regards to A.P,O?S!T'R?O:P_H-E=S!. Shikena!
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by ds700(m): 12:26pm On Jul 21, 2011
What if some of these people that just committed suicide had narrated their dilemmas here and instead of helping a brother/sister you condemned them the more?

I'M NOT GIVING MORAL JUSTIFICATION TO THEIR COWARDICE MEANS OF SETTLING LIFE'S' CHALLENGES, AM ONLY BEGGING US TO ASSIST WHEN NECESSARY.

NOTE: AM NOT REFERRING TO ME BUT SOME OTHER POSTERS HERE ON NL.

THANK YOU.
Re: Attention Mods: The Problem With Nairaland 2. (romance Section Please) by Nobody: 12:17am On Jul 22, 2011
ds700:
This is exactly wot am talking about, before or after pointing out the errors please ensure that you say something about the solution to the thread, but a situation where your only contribution becomes grammatical critics isn't good.

As a child if i should use a wrong English to ask for a drinking water, i will definitely receive the water before corrections.

Yeah, I agree smiley Although the water reference not so much. That's subjective. I know my parents would correct me before giving me anything looool.

Nwoke m, nye m aka. A nam a su Igbo ofuma. A ghotoghim your own lol.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How And Why Did You Join Nairaland? / Why Do Brides Throw Their Bouquet Of Flowers? / 18+ Photo: A Cake Designed In The Shape Of A Baby Being Born

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.