Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,955 members, 7,810,646 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice (36037 Views)

Is It A Wise Idea To Sue My Wife? / Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? / Why Did He Do This? I Need To Understand Why Some Act This Way. Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Purple2003(m): 11:01am On Jun 21, 2022
Good morning everyone,
Pardon me if I am posting this under the wrong section (this is my first time of posting on this platform).

To the matter....
I need legal & other advice on how to handle a situation that's causing me a lot of mental stress. I loaned 280,000 Naira to my cousin's husband around January for his business. There was no written agreement (I blame myself for this) because I felt it would be awkward to ask a family member to sign papers before I help him. Although I have other proofs like recorded calls and conversations where I asked for my money and he kept on begging for more time. The agreement we had was for him to payback by March. I had plans to purchase a fairly used Keke-napep with this 280k (plus some money I had reserved in my account).

When it was time to pay, I called him a lot to ask for my money. Sometimes, he'll pick and beg for more time. Sometimes, he'll pick and just leave me saying "hello hello hello" without a word from him. Most of the time he won't even pick my calls. He once asked me to send my account number but he didn't send anything (I felt like a joke). This went on from March, April & May. During this period, I had spent, on feeding & other bills, all the money I was supposed to add to the 280k in order to purchase the Keke-napep. This Keke-napep would have generated money for this bills if I had bought it then.

I've been staying at his place since beginning on this month because I don't have any money to fend for myself. When I came here, he told me that his customers promise to send the money before 15th of this month but they didn't. Now he said they promise to send it by the end of this month. All these while I have been patient and tolerant with everything, including the treatment I've been receiving since I came here (I don't even want to go into these treatments). I've been staying indoor since I came here because I don't know anywhere in this area. Just sitting one place and waiting for time to run makes me think about a lot of things and it's depressing.

I can't take this anymore. Even if I have a soft spot for family members, I also need to think of myself by taking necessary measures to get my money back before they ruin my plan of purchasing something that will help me survive daily. I need advice, please

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by HONESTFACT101(m): 11:06am On Jun 21, 2022
before taking it to court I think it is wise to involve elders in the family
MY2CENTS ......signing out✈

178 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by DryMouth: 11:11am On Jun 21, 2022
Call family meeting on him ASAP

For all those that will come to this thread to talk how they can't loan money to anyone, hope y'all won't beg for loan when you are in dire need.

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by 3verblazing(m): 11:29am On Jun 21, 2022
Imagine the psychological trauma! Sue his a$$!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by dawnomike(m): 11:40am On Jun 21, 2022
Since you live under his roof, just look away and hope he pays back. Look for other means to raise money for biz

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Purple2003(m): 11:48am On Jun 21, 2022
HONESTFACT101:
before taking it to court I think it is wise to involve elders in the family
MY2CENTS ......signing out✈

DryMouth:
Call family meeting on him ASAP

For all those that will come to this thread to talk how they can't loan money to anyone, hope y'all won't beg for loan when you are in dire need.

Good advice, I should have done this a month or two ago. But now I feel it's too late because I know the elders will most likely tell me to exercise patience coz they'll be trying to avoid any court drama..... and I don't have more time

6 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Purple2003(m): 11:58am On Jun 21, 2022
dawnomike:
Since you live under his roof, just look away and hope he pays back. Look for other means to raise money for biz

Look away & starve? As a Nigerian, you should know that money can not just be raised overnight. The fastest & cheapest way I can think of is to get a factory job. Even this factory job will take time to get and even more time to get paid

Ps; I have my own apartment. So it's not like I don't have anywhere to go, I just don't have the money

15 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by DryMouth: 11:59am On Jun 21, 2022
Purple2003:

Good advice, I should have done this a month or two ago. But now I feel it's too late because I know the elders will most likely tell me to exercise patience coz they'll be trying to avoid any court drama..... and I don't have more time
Take him to court bro.

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by drnoel: 12:04pm On Jun 21, 2022
3verblazing:
Imagine the psychological trauma! Sue his a$$!

No sueing before family meeting. One needs to exhaust all avenue. Besides lawyer fees is no joke if you sue.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Richy4(m): 1:44pm On Jun 21, 2022
No wonder u were feeling down and depressed...U wanted him to pay you back your money that he was owing you, and you are living with him in the same house?

So where will you get the moral support to strategize when all around you screams of family!!!..

please do yourself a favour and get out of that place first and then u can plan very well on what next to do... He's not the type that you can achieve your goals dwelling together... ...

99 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Karleb(m): 2:26pm On Jun 21, 2022
Involve police. Your money will come out.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Purple2003(m): 4:16pm On Jun 21, 2022
Richy4:
No wonder u were feeling down and depressed...U wanted him to pay you back your money that he was owing you, and you are living with him in the same house?

So where will you get the moral support to strategize when all around you screams of family!!!..

please do yourself a favour and get out of that place first and then u can plan very well on what next to do... He's not the type that you can achieve your goals dwelling together... ...

I have my own place... The only reason I came here this month was to put pressure on him with my presence and because I don't have any money left on me to pay bills

26 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by cavreek: 4:35pm On Jun 21, 2022
Family matter is very delicate and should be treated with wisdom or else u might be labeled a wicked person
Wait till the time he told u after which u should be prepared to leave his house wether or not he pays u, just leave without saying anything to him, if he is sensible he knows what to do otherwise hope for better days ahead

7 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by frozen70(f): 5:12pm On Jun 21, 2022
Purple2003:

I have my own place... The only reason I came here this month was to put pressure on him with my presence and because I don't have any money left on me to pay bills

See if this man doesn't have a penny and have no hope of getting anything, honestly stay there for a year, you won't get anything

Inform your families and his, at least let them be aware, I know they will tell you to be calm.

Then you will ask them to tell you how long they want you to wait, whatever he says concerning the time frame, accept it

Just leave and go, consider that money to be gone

Start a fresh, a time will come you will collect something that worths more than that money from him

It will take you long ohh, but that time will come

Some people don't have conciense neither do they have shame

17 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 21, 2022
I hate to say this, but you may not get back all the money. Even the one you will receive may not come in bulk. That's the thing with family.

And please, do not go to the Court on this issue. It will cost you, you may still not get the money, and the relationship will be destroyed.

You may have to involve other family members. Hopefully, the guy can be coerced into agreeing to pay in installments.

Next time, Do Not Lend Money to family members. Instead of lending them the whole amount, just give them a fraction of it, without any strings attached.

Finally, endeavour to go back to your place. The more you stay at their place, the possibility of things escalating is greater.

Good luck!

16 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Richy4(m): 5:56pm On Jun 21, 2022
Purple2003:

That's not the best move...If he has no intention of giving you that money, no matter how long u stay, it will not happen..

Besides,the weight of the pressure will diminish staying with them..

10 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 21, 2022
sad
Truth is in this period that we are in people who may not want to dissappoint you, will end up doing so.

That's to say his might not be intentional. Going forward, I think you should call him once again and get to know why he is defaulting. You people may be able to come to a definite agreement. If possible involve the elders of your family. They should be able to give him an ultimatum to pay back. Suing him may incur more expenses on your path and the court will not force him to pay beyond his capabilities if truly he doesnt have.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by BirtherOfKings(f): 4:53am On Jun 22, 2022
Were is d money to sue him?
I sincerely empathise with u
Pls start again and don't sit idle
U are a man and opportunities are all over u
Don't be ashamed of some work,do ur best and u will move quicker to some thing better

Congratulations

3 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by SensualMan1(m): 3:14pm On Jun 22, 2022
Family matters are always treated with kid glove. If a stranger, u already know what to do.

The bad news is, you may never get ur money back, even if u do u won't get complete.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Ddeliverer007(m): 3:14pm On Jun 22, 2022
sad
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Oblitz(m): 3:14pm On Jun 22, 2022
Hmm.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by OluwafuntoAK(f): 3:14pm On Jun 22, 2022
The American Lady who regained her senses 3 days later in Nigeria. (THE TRUTH)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0Mx-mJBEs
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 22, 2022
People no longer see fidelity and genuiety as a goo virtue anymore,reason more people are becoming non-sympathetic towards other people's plights

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by tiswell(m): 3:15pm On Jun 22, 2022
Person nor dey drag im inlaw go court,no matter wot,

settle out of court

it's an abormination sad

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by usmanethical(m): 3:15pm On Jun 22, 2022
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Dozie32(m): 3:16pm On Jun 22, 2022
Kill him and Bury him. We will come for his burial.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by RedChiefPriest: 3:16pm On Jun 22, 2022
Well probably he does not have the money as per say Nigeria dey one kind.

If you arrest him it is either he vex pay you OR he will be embarrassed and still beg for more time because he no get the money.

Anyhow sha na your money and anyhow you wan get am back is left to you.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by bigdammyj: 3:16pm On Jun 22, 2022
If you want to
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by NaijaGoBetter20: 3:16pm On Jun 22, 2022
Yes

One of the reasons you shouldn't lend money to a relative. Assuming it's your friend you'd have used a better channel to get back your money (maybe to organise boys to show him shege) but now it's your in-law

I don't know how to say this but you can't get the money at once maybe 50k this month, 70k next month 30k will follow by December.

Try to look for other means to get your keke, you learned your lesson at leave he will use the money to cater for your cousins and nieces

2 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Ballzproblemm: 3:16pm On Jun 22, 2022
no they loan Nigerians money ,una no dey here ,they have wicked mind ,unless I do not need that money even if you dey die for bed I no give you ,as for OP , using court process you go spend more than that amount

4 Likes

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by GOFRONT(m): 3:17pm On Jun 22, 2022
How is his business right now??

I mean do you see his business booming, Low patronage might be the cause of the delay in payback of the loan.

Most Nigerians are no longer honest with the one who gave them loan.

Go and ask how far with Loan sharks like Fairmoney, Palmpay, branch et al

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2 Spoons: Wife Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Husband Gets Over ₦2M Cash Gift / Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby / White SA Mother Loses 5 Kids In Massive Gas Explosion (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.