Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,429 members, 7,822,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice (36065 Views)

Is It A Wise Idea To Sue My Wife? / Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? / Why Did He Do This? I Need To Understand Why Some Act This Way. Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by GloriousGbola: 3:17pm On Jun 22, 2022
forget all these people telling you take him to court. people with billion naira cases have been in court for years

your only option is family intervention
you may get your money, but not in a way that is useful to you. in bits and pieces

these are hard times and everyone is getting shafted by people who owe them.

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by vickydevoka(m): 3:18pm On Jun 22, 2022
drnoel:

No sueing before family meeting. One needs to exhaust all avenue. Besides lawyer fees is no joke if you sue.
Charge n bail or road side lawyer no go charge pass 10 k
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by ivolt: 3:18pm On Jun 22, 2022
Get him arrested and forget you have a cousin.
Don't bother with a lawyer since you can't even feed yourself.

How did he convince you to part with 280K when you are struggling yourself?

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Teeroyzimma: 3:18pm On Jun 22, 2022
#VoteForObi

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Alapojames: 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2022
For 9ja and so other countries
If you borrow money, you'll lose the money and the friendship
Same thing happened to me..

Boost your ig account at affordable
All followers are real and organic
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by elsiusgr8t(m): 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2022
Karleb:
Involve police. Your money will come out.

Jokes
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Skillsnigeria: 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by adedayoa2(f): 3:20pm On Jun 22, 2022
Move out of his house, make him no kill you sef.

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Buffalo2(m): 3:20pm On Jun 22, 2022
If you want to lose two things at the same time, just borrow your relative money. You will lose both the relationship and the money. OP is about experiencing this saying. Sorry eh!
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by vickydevoka(m): 3:22pm On Jun 22, 2022
ivolt:
Get him arrested and forget you have a cousin.
Don't bother with a lawyer since you can't even feed yourself.

How did he convince you to part with 280K when you are struggling yourself?
I understand such situation. Dats y stingy n strict people makes it more in life. Of you got light brain n u are have generous mind like me when u got no money u ain't gonna make it easily in life. They worst part is that he even has a target
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by eyinjuege: 3:23pm On Jun 22, 2022
Where is your husband in all this?
Suing him would have been the ideal, but in reality suing him may cost you more than the amount itself, so I personally won't advice that.
Na family members go help you resolve this
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by AfroKnight: 3:25pm On Jun 22, 2022
He doesn’t have any intention of paying you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Ihatebuhariwith(m): 3:25pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,
Pardon me if I am posting this under the wrong section (this is my first time of posting on this platform).

To the matter....
I need legal & other advice on how to handle a situation that's causing me a lot of mental stress. I loaned 280,000 Naira to my cousin's husband around January for his business. There was no written agreement (I blame myself for this) because I felt it would be awkward to ask a family member to sign papers before I help him. Although I have other proofs like recorded calls and conversations where I asked for my money and he kept on begging for more time. The agreement we had was for him to payback by March. I had plans to purchase a fairly used Keke-napep with this 280k (plus some money I had reserved in my account).

When it was time to pay, I called him a lot to ask for my money. Sometimes, he'll pick and beg for more time. Sometimes, he'll pick and just leave me saying "hello hello hello" without a word from him. Most of the time he won't even pick my calls. He once asked me to send my account number but he didn't send anything (I felt like a joke). This went on from March, April & May. During this period, I had spent, on feeding & other bills, all the money I was supposed to add to the 280k in order to purchase the Keke-napep. This Keke-napep would have generated money for this bills if I had bought it then.

I've been staying at his place since beginning on this month because I don't have any money to fend for myself. When I came here, he told me that his customers promise to send the money before 15th of this month but they didn't. Now he said they promise to send it by the end of this month. All these while I have been patient and tolerant with everything, including the treatment I've been receiving since I came here (I don't even want to go into these treatments). I've been staying indoor since I came here because I don't know anywhere in this area. Just sitting one place and waiting for time to run makes me think about a lot of things and it's depressing.

I can't take this anymore. Even if I have a soft spot for family members, I also need to think of myself by taking necessary measures to get my money back before they ruin my plan of purchasing something that will help me survive daily. I need advice, please
where is your husband.. I think I'm lost
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by abcee(m): 3:29pm On Jun 22, 2022
Ok
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by gigabyte13: 3:29pm On Jun 22, 2022
Call family meeting
Money no get family abeeeeeggggg
Court too dey extreme
Na still family matter, involve the elders in the family first. E get e no wan pay, l don waka dis road before
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Blackdisciple(m): 3:30pm On Jun 22, 2022
Hmmm.... cry cry cry
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Tzar(m): 3:31pm On Jun 22, 2022
Sadly, you mixed emotions with financial dealings with a Nigerian. Your money is literally gone. Nigerians are the worst people to loan money to. They wickedly collect the loan with the intention not to repay.
1. Your recording will do little or nothing legally. You should have properly documented an agreement and collected collateral / guarator. Whether he is family or not is immaterial!
2. Going to the police will cause you more financial distress. He may even use your money to manipulate the police against you.
3. The best bet (without guarantees) is to pray that God softens his heart to repay you. Also involved family members to persuade him.,But get ready to move out of his house if you start forcing repayment.

You have learnt the hard way NEVER to loan an Nigerian money without a solid debt collection mechanism. Nigerians are pure evil people who don’t repay a debt!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Psoul(m): 3:33pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,
Pardon me if I am posting this under the wrong section (this is my first time of posting on this platform).

To the matter....
I need legal & other advice on how to handle a situation that's causing me a lot of mental stress. I loaned 280,000 Naira to my cousin's husband around January for his business. There was no written agreement (I blame myself for this) because I felt it would be awkward to ask a family member to sign papers before I help him. Although I have other proofs like recorded calls and conversations where I asked for my money and he kept on begging for more time. The agreement we had was for him to payback by March. I had plans to purchase a fairly used Keke-napep with this 280k (plus some money I had reserved in my account).

When it was time to pay, I called him a lot to ask for my money. Sometimes, he'll pick and beg for more time. Sometimes, he'll pick and just leave me saying "hello hello hello" without a word from him. Most of the time he won't even pick my calls. He once asked me to send my account number but he didn't send anything (I felt like a joke). This went on from March, April & May. During this period, I had spent, on feeding & other bills, all the money I was supposed to add to the 280k in order to purchase the Keke-napep. This Keke-napep would have generated money for this bills if I had bought it then.

I've been staying at his place since beginning on this month because I don't have any money to fend for myself. When I came here, he told me that his customers promise to send the money before 15th of this month but they didn't. Now he said they promise to send it by the end of this month. All these while I have been patient and tolerant with everything, including the treatment I've been receiving since I came here (I don't even want to go into these treatments). I've been staying indoor since I came here because I don't know anywhere in this area. Just sitting one place and waiting for time to run makes me think about a lot of things and it's depressing.

I can't take this anymore. Even if I have a soft spot for family members, I also need to think of myself by taking necessary measures to get my money back before they ruin my plan of purchasing something that will help me survive daily. I need advice, please

If you want to go far in your business, avoid these people
1..Church Members
2..Close friends
3..Family members.

If you must involve any of these groups, do it with strict legal backing.
If you are my friend or family member and you need a loan from me, you must sign agreement for me. I may remove interest. That is what makes us friends or family, but u MUST sign papers.
The money I will give to you must not be in cash. I will do bank transfer or deposit and I will retain the evidence of the payment.
This is me. If you don't like it, don't come to me for loan.
If you are requesting for friendly help, I will do that if I am disposed to and I will know that I am not expecting any payback.

Secondly, guy, how can you go and live with someone that is owing you?
He provides shelter and food and you still expect that money to be paid back.
Abeg die the matter. You have compromised the case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by remi4ever(m): 3:35pm On Jun 22, 2022
I have this exact same issue.

Only that the amount is 250k and he's a friend, or so I thought.. He used my money to buy generator for his business.

Meanwhile, I need my money to complete the balance for my land purchase. I have been trying to retrieve my money since March.

People are heartless.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by EgunMogaji2: 3:37pm On Jun 22, 2022
Yes. I didn’t read your missive but I feel like violence.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Fairview1: 3:41pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,

I think you need to figure out if your in-law is financially boyant enough to repay you the money and he chose not to. What's his current financial standing in terms of cashflow, work and other related £xps..

How much is his discretionary expenses has he been meeting before and after you began living with him?

Businesses generally are experiencing bad times due to the realities on ground and crunching economic decline and all that. Size him up in terms of the expenses he's been making for the past few months to know if he deliberately chose not to.

Then you can quietly speak to lawyer to write and deliver him a letter of warning, demanding that he pay you or get ready face civil litigation that would warrant him to pay domorrage and interest on the capital etcetera.... your lawyer would know better.

If he fails to comply or do something about that, then you can sue him to magistrate court and have everything strengthens out. BTW: Litigation should be the last resort if Arbitration fails.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Victor468: 3:43pm On Jun 22, 2022
dawnomike:
Since you live under his roof, just look away and hope he pays back. Look for other means to raise money for biz

Good advice.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Ochelyko1: 3:43pm On Jun 22, 2022
have learn this in life never you borrow something(money, properties) to someone when u cant let go of it. especially to family members and friends.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by BarrElChapo(m): 3:44pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,

To the matter....

I sympathize with you cos I am in the same situation with you.

The Police is not a tool for debt recovery, there's no law that empowers them to do such as this is a civil matter. That said I don't also know about suing him cos how much will the lawyer charge you to recover the debt sum.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by GodisFirst: 3:45pm On Jun 22, 2022
dawnomike:
Since you live under his roof, just look away and hope he pays back. Look for other means to raise money for biz

Op, this dawnomike's advise is what I suggest you take.
Now you have known the type of in-law you have, I believe you wont allow him play on you twice. It will be difficult for you to make case and get something out of this as you are under his roof, he may even claim you feed from his house, bath, sleep in his house etc. these also cost him money. He may have done what he did intentionally.
So find a way to raise fund and survive, but still ask for your money from time to time and see how it goes.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by WatchYourSix: 3:45pm On Jun 22, 2022
dawnomike:

He's staying rent free yet wants to collect money back??

Lol....his money has enter voice mail
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by BRATISLAVA: 3:46pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,

To the matter....

It's simple, really: don't loan to family and friends. You can give a perfect stranger, but not those ones.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by sandland: 3:48pm On Jun 22, 2022
dawnomike:

Best advice. He does not have it, that is why he did not pay.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by newdawn2017(f): 3:52pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,

To the matter....

time him or drug him, pack everything in his house & sell. If u can access his shop,go for it. With that u shall be able to recover ur money, & yes cut him off undecided
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by cooltola(m): 3:55pm On Jun 22, 2022
.Never lend anyone an amount you can afford to lose permanently. Always assume that your burrower will never pay you back. This mentality will save a lifetime of headaches
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by ImoleNaija: 3:57pm On Jun 22, 2022
Tzar:
Nigerians are pure evil people who don’t repay a debt!

The ones that surround you. I don't think I have such amongst my F&F.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

40% Of First Borns Are Not From Their Fathers- Dna Expert Reveals / What Could He Be Doing Spending 4hours And More In The Bathroom? / I Bought My Mum A Convertible Sport (pics,vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.