Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Am I The Fastest Nigerian? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Am I The Fastest Nigerian? (8771 Views)

Why I Dumped Nigeria For Qatar — Asia’s Fastest Man, Ogunode / FIFA U-20 Women : Nigeria Score Fastest Goal / Who Is The Fastest And Most Intelligent Player In The World ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by aloib(f): 12:02pm On Aug 17, 2007
wer is that grin
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by DisGuy: 12:18pm On Aug 17, 2007
one place like dat after apogbon bridge grin
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by aloib(f): 12:21pm On Aug 17, 2007
lol u think ill wait for u, google is so near me, olodo
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by DisGuy: 5:26pm On Aug 17, 2007
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 1:14pm On Aug 19, 2007
@dis guy - when were you there I went to Brookes
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 1:45pm On Aug 19, 2007
Report from yesterdays race,

Silverstone - England

I had a nightmare in qualifying, just as I was about to drive out of the pit garage and onto the track the ignition system failed, whilst I sat in the car the mechanics rushed around trying to find parts to rebuild it and the session started with me sat in the garage. Finally the car came together and we got it started and I roared out onto the track, having lost a lot of time I had to drive flat out on cold tyres (our tyres have to be at the correct temperature to grip properly), did one 1m38s lap (very slow) before going on a fast one - I started to catch a more modern car when I hit some oil and spun the car at around 100mph. I didn't hit anything and continued to start a new lap but at the next corner three other cars crashed due to oil including my team mate (Dr. Detlef Brehmer - German) so the organisers stopped the session.

I had not set a proper lap time yet so at the time I was running dead last. When the session restarted I got going again but the track was now in very poor condition with oil everywhere. I improved to a 1m13.74 lap (still 3.7 second slower than I ran last year - thats how bad the track was). This put me up to 33rd position - of 48. Whilst this doesn't sound great my car is about 13 years old - most of those in front are a lot more up to date.

For me the race was highly uneventful I started further back than normal and just worked my way back up through the field to 18th position. Not a great result but telling - I clearly need a more modern suspension setup and new a new aero package. I'm designing new bodywork for the car so hopefully I can complete that in time for the next race and move up the grid,
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by aloib(f): 1:59pm On Aug 19, 2007
hmm goodluck wid the next one, lol at ur position, well considering all u went thru b4 u started the race, wats the highest rposition uve got
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by DisGuy: 3:45pm On Aug 19, 2007
'04-'05

wet track oil on track- disaster!

you need major upgrade on your car if its 13 old! not just for the speed but safety
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 7:40pm On Aug 19, 2007
Safety is fine, the car gets rebuilt every year but its design is outdated and some parts are repaired when other racers buy new ones - but its a budget thing - the chassis cost just £2,500 - (650,000 Naira), and the engine is about £1,000 (250,000 Naira) but needs a complete rebuild at least once a year - the front runners spend about £20,000 on their cars (5,000,000 Naira)

I'm designing some new parts for the car which means I should be able to get closer to the front runners.

Best result? a few wins in rallying and karting.  Some podiums in races (but no wins annoyingly) - came very close to winning a race at Mallory park a few years ago (when I had a much bigger budget and raced a works car) but I spun out of second whilst dicing with the champion of Ireland.

The UK formula vee series is one of the toughest in the world. Here is a pic taken by my Grandfather at the end of the race - the yellow car coming into the shot on the left is a very heavily tuned Storm chassis built last year. He won the race but was later disqualified as his engine was found to be illegal - I can't afford more than one engine!   

The red car is a slightly more recent version of mine, but its driven by a guy who works for a company that designs and builds formula 1 car suspension (also a nice chap) he was 2 laps behind me.

Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by bispers(f): 7:29pm On Aug 20, 2007
i've just been listening to the race commentary, Sam did get a mention to do with "is he Nigeria's fastest racing driver?" so he's promoting the country! raced with the nigerian flag [and union jacks] too of course
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by naijacutee(f): 7:55pm On Aug 20, 2007
Wow sscollins! I'm absolutely loving what you did with the car in the first shot. I saw the Nigerian colours on it and I had goose pimples. Thanks for promoting our name!!! The good thing about developing countries is that there's always room for development. If there isn't presently any racing interest in Nigeria, then you can create some. . . Contrary to what someone said about Nigeria not being ready for racing - If there are golfers and golf clubs in Nigeria, why not racers?
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2007
There are roads, there are cars - theres space. You don't need a lot of money to race in Barbados there are two small tracks yet they have great racing. Nigerian motorsport could be the envy of Africa
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 3:06pm On Aug 27, 2007
Another run out yesterday - this time a race against the clock rather than head to head - its a bit like F1 Qualifying used to be - one car on track at a time. The category I drove in was the super competitive 1400cc class (cars must not be modified and have an engine smaller than 1400cc), and despite making some very silly errors (spins and a run off the track) my final run put me into 2nd place. However in the final moments of the session a similar car to mine went 0.3 seconds quicker, and then a Honda put in a time 0.1 seconds faster dropping me to fourth (1 sec behind the winner). So close but so far away!

anyway a pic of me - as you can see I was driving VERY hard!

Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 10:24pm On Oct 11, 2007
Kart race last night - a hard fought event but for once in equal machinery - was up against teams including my team mate and the UK formula Vee champion, as well as a selection of local rally and sprint drivers, my team (including a 75 year old man who is one the fastest racers in england!) came in 2nd. We were quicker than the winners but lost 2 laps as we had to make an extra pit stop,

no pics,

but heres a really old one

Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 1:41pm On Dec 15, 2007
This is a shame - the only other Nigerian to have ever done anything in motorsport - I think from an international perspective this is typical of Nigerians - a poor perception

Prince Malik Ado Ibrahim was once a part owner of the Arrows Formula 1 team. Now the Nigerian is in big trouble in the United States of America where he had hoped to create a motor racing empire after his F1 adventures came to an end. In 2004 he created a team called Maverick Motorsports with the plan to race in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series with Robert Richardson III as the driver. The team took part in three races at the end of 2005 but then the various parties fell out and in March this year a Grand Jury in Texas (a jury which determines whether there is enough evidence for a trial) indicted Ado-Ibrahim on a first-degree felony count of theft over $200,000 and a second-degree felony count of securing execution of a document by deception. The Collin County District Attorney's Special Crimes Unit (SCU) alleged that Ado-Ibrahim stole about $625,000 from Robert Richardson's father by promising it would be deposited into a Bank of America trust account that did not exist. The court issued a warrant under the name Malik Ibrahim and police officials arrested him in Los Angeles in May. He is being held in the Collin County Detention Center in McKinney, Texas (not far from Dallas) on a bond of $1.5m.

The SCU has now charged him with seven counts of perjury for allegedly giving false testimony during his trials relating to the dispute with Richardson.

Anyway on a lighter note I've been testing for 2008 in something with rather a lot more power, next year I'm doing NASCAR.

Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 1:43pm On Dec 15, 2007
If I get the sponsorship I need the car will be painted as a big Nigerian flag!

If anyone knows how to contact the Nigerian media could they point me in the right direction?
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 11:12am On Apr 06, 2008
Been out testing again over the last two days - this is going to be an exciting season
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 3:50pm On Apr 06, 2008
Pics from yesterday

Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by f1king: 12:57am On Aug 13, 2008
ss, i would love to race you some day,i do some amateur gt racing in the states and i have tested the daytona prototype,we should set something up if you are ever in the states again,
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by eddioo: 11:35am On Aug 20, 2008
Hi ss, I just bumped into this site and was happy to know that there are people like you who are interested in seeing to the development of motor sport in Naija. Yes we have a lot of entusiasts in naija, but the problem is there is no understanding / support of the sport here. I am a member of HEMENGA GRAND PRIX, an FIA affiliate here which has been around for over 10 yrs now, run by Olu Agunbiade, situated at Tafawa Balewa Square. There is also a mini GO-KART track there. He has really put in a lot to the development of the sport, but problems encountered range from lack of understanding of the benefits from the govt sport authorities/ corporate bodies, to lack of possible venues for f1 type events, etc. FIA is very much interested in coming in to assist, but we have to first encounter these obstacles to get the ball rolling.

In the mean time we have decided to go OFF-ROAD (4x4's, dirt bikes & quads), since that is the only other event that not as financially tasking as regards venues, and also we dont need to get any permits from authorities since we are not on govt roads. Last year we held the first LAGOS 4X4 OFF-ROAD rally, and there was quite a lot of coverage from the Nigerian press. We are planning for the next one sometime b/w october and november this year. It was purely a self sponsored effort (i.e member and also REDBULL assisted), but this year so far the likes of BMW and LANDROVER are looking into taking part, so i'd say we are hopefully getting somewhere.

Please we would appreciate greatly any contributions from you guys in the way of experience sharing and advice on ways we can get to see this sport grow here.

Our website is under construction (www.hemengagrandprix.com), when ready you'll be able to know more about our group and see photos of members and past events.

Laters.
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by Abbihh: 10:11pm On Nov 06, 2008
Hey SS Collins,

Just read your post (one year on :-)) and was wondering if you ever made it to Lagos/Nigeria for the car racing? How did it go?

Thinking of starting a project or somesort in Nigeria and wondering if we can have a chat about it? Might big project I reckon but hey, something will give.

Lets talk. Im in London at the moment.

Me
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by A1Junky: 10:07am On Jan 13, 2009
Hey SS Colins
Trying to get in contact with Nigerian Drivers for a specific series. Let me know if you are keen or know drivers that would be. Thnaks
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by showbobo(m): 2:04am On Jan 14, 2009
This is going to be interesting. . . Would like to be a part of this smiley
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by A1Junky: 2:06pm On Jan 14, 2009
any racing drivers out there?
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by A1Junky: 2:39pm On Jan 20, 2009
Showbobo are you a racing driver? cheesy
Is there any racing in Nigeria at the moment?
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by daemibros: 8:31am On Mar 31, 2009
am game to race anytime. ;Dwat do i hav 2 do?hw does dis work? hu in nigeria should i talk 2, call, c. i want in on sometin.need advice
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by KayNiyo(m): 6:29pm On Apr 19, 2009
Hello SS_Collins,

I am a newly minted car racing enthusiast. I have always loved driving since i first drove my first car. I just completed the Level 1 Skip Barber Racing School Training at the Lime Rock Race Track in Connecticut. I would love to develop this hobby into a very serious one as i really don't have any strong hobby that gives me enough motivation to relax from the 2 businesses i own. (I am enterpreneur.) Please advise me of like-minded enthusiasts i can hook up with to further develop this skill in Nigeria. I am considering coming back for the FULL Skip Barber Race Car Driver and Advanced Car Control Training Program sometime in August 2009. I am leaving New York today, from where i went for the Skip Barber Training. Was holidaying there for a week. Will be spending one week in London as well on my way back to Nigeria. Would treasure the opportunity of meeting with you anytime this week. I am holidaying in London for only a week as i did in New York.
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by AjanleKoko: 1:52pm On Apr 20, 2009
More like the only Nigerian to me!
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by J3WLS: 11:40pm On Jun 25, 2009
Hi, just call me Benzene for the moment, I have a dream, and i will make what a lot of you , Nigerians, are thinking happen.

I'm not joking either, just to get you guys going, watch this part 3 to7; start at about 4 mins in to episode 6 part 3 of 7,

you'll work out who i am,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-7BJn_fOeU

ciao to all Nigerian Petrolheads

Benzene
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by J3WLS: 11:48pm On Jun 25, 2009
Hi

Can I have all your thoughts on a Nigerian Badged supercar? Assembled in Nigeria. 1st year production about 12 cars with equivalent of 1000BHP per tonne in the Veron Bugatti territory and Ferrari FXXX league?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2lKsaEiuIE

www.carrerajk.com read about Colin McRea and go through to DJM Motorsport!! wink

ciao
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by sscollins: 7:56pm On Aug 08, 2009
Sorry I've been really busy working on my 2010 season, things are looking really good.

I was at a test day just doing a few short runs in a new (to me car) when the track owner comes up to me and says "you are racing tomorrow" so I did, if you look closely in these pics I did not even have my goves with me!

But the races went well and I got two points finishes!

J3WLS - are you going to be at the PMW show?

KayNiyo - sorry I didn't get this in time - next time you are in Europe let me know - I'm sure I can arrange a run out for you

daemibros - talk to the Hemega guys in Lagos

A1 Junky - I know you are talk to Ribi I've already signed if the team goes ahead

Abbihh - my email is Scl_trading@yahoo.co.uk

F1king - you are on, I'm in Mooesville, NC often

I'll be back on here a bit more to keep you all posted
Re: Am I The Fastest Nigerian? by babagana(m): 11:01pm On Mar 26, 2010
I wish there is a means to encourage car racing in this country. I won Hemanga grand prix in Kaduna in 1997. Thre was the last I heard of it until recently in face book. I wonder whats has happened all these years.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rivers United Qualify For CAF Confederation Cup Group Stage / Free Daily 2 Odds For 1 Million (100% Sure) - Sports - Banned / Soklin & Paris Saint-Germain Unveil West Africa Regional Partnership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.