Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? (6462 Views)

How Best To Identify A Nollywood Movie / How To Build An Action Hero Body For An Action Film / Nollywood Movie Awards Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 7:38pm On Jul 25, 2011
"Natasha" sounds action.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by 2CatWoman: 7:40pm On Jul 25, 2011
So long as you are prepared to take the financial risk then go for it my only advice would be:

1) Please look at improving on quality. I've watched some really high quality African films from Mali.

2) Please look into DVD copyrighting side of things to stop the pirating. This potentially puts more money back in your pocket.

Hope this helps and good luck

Also are you looking at cinema release or straight to DVD??
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Natasha2(f): 7:58pm On Jul 25, 2011
afam4eva:

"Natasha" sounds action.
loz i'm not joking oh I'm serious, I be action babe cheesy
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Abuloma80(f): 8:12pm On Jul 25, 2011
Will sell like hot cake, if actors are chosen

from the Mend, Mossob, Boko Haram and OPC (Ganiyu Adam's faction)
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Breeze5000: 8:18pm On Jul 25, 2011
Did Nigerians like the hit TV series 24? Answer is yes! So they will like any action movie as long as it is done properly, with good storyline. You dont need Alaba Marketers, your money will be made from Cinema and premiers everywhere. When you have exhausted that angle then you can release the DVd, When you are ready holla at me and I will give you some tips, introduce you to peeps you might need for this to work out. Finally anything that is properly done will sell regardless of the genre, so dont allow anybody to distract you. Wish you success
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by femmy2010(m): 10:13pm On Jul 25, 2011
obongproff:

ME AND MY CREW ARE WORKING TOWARDS TO DOING AN ACTION MOVIE IN NIGERIA. WE WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE MATRIX, 300 AND SPARTACUS. ITS GOING TO BE A COMBINATION OF BOTH EPIC AND MODERN DAY GUN WAR LIKE IN EQUILIBRIUM AND DESPERADO.

BUT BEFORE WE EVEN START WRITING THE SCRIPT, WE WOULD LIKE YOUR HELP. WE WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS A DEMAND FOR SUCH MOVIES. WE WANT TO KNOW IF IT WOULD SELL. WE KNOW IT REQUIRES A LOT OF MONEY, EQUIPMENTS AND INTELLIGENCE BUT WE WANT TO BE SURE WE ARE NOT JUST WASTING OUR TIME. WILL MARKETERS EVEN BUY SUCH A MOVIE?

THE STORYLINE WILL BE TIGHT,NO DOUBT. SUSPENSEFUL - TRUST ME, YOU CAN'T PREDICT A THING AND GET IT RIGHT. PICTURE QUALITY - PERFECT! SOUND QUALITY - BETTER THAN THE ONES IN THE MARKET NOW.

BUT WOULD IT SELL AT THE END OF THE DAY?

YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS ARE NEEDED PLEASE.

A good job would sell any day but remember to look for a good marketer located in ALABA Market to help you with marketing.(This would help you prevent Piracy).
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Roundulle(f): 11:41pm On Jul 25, 2011
it will and pple will like it as far it is a nice story line and a realistic one. New good faces should be made use of wink wink wink wink
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Jiah011(f): 6:46am On Jul 26, 2011
Do you have good special effects and know how to properly film action scenes? It's not as easy as it looks. It's not just filming people shooting and fighting. What kind of action film are your talking about too? I agree with some of the others that say that the film must have a good story line and should not be a copy of some Hollywood stuff. Please if you are making such films, make original ones that Nigerians can relate to, since that is your target audience. Why not pull from history and tell a story that has yet to be told. Also for such a film, you need good actors who can perform the scenes well. That is also a key factor, because if you have poor actors, the film will look silly. Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing such film, granted it's good. Keep us updated on what you decide.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by shawonlese: 12:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
@ mkmyers45

Simply tell me what haulage truck you have in mind, and i'll get it for you.

You can make your vehicle request on here.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-681284.0.html
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by buttercop(m): 2:59pm On Jul 26, 2011
A good action movie will definitely sell in nigeria. but when i say good it has to be the best. when Kajola came out to the cinemas. i had friends that were very disappointed and even said they were not going to see any nigerian action movie at the cinemas.
another thing is most nigerian actors seem not to do what their directors want them to do. this has to be avoided. one or two popular faces won't be such a bad idea, but it doesn't have to be from the movie industry. The current Mr World, that igbo guy has tremendous acting talent. it think he would be a better choice than Ramsey Noah. pls do not cast Emeka Ike or Desmond elliot. Action heroes are usually very built nnot like Emeka Ike. Jim Iyke will just plain kill the movie.
Really we want good quality movies also, pple loved Ije and even Araromire. urs should be better. Genevieve would not be a bad idea. she has this sexy Zoe Saldana look, She could protray same like Zoe Saldana did in The Losers. all these this should be put into cnsideration
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2011
^^i beg to differ.

the poster should do a casting call and use the BEST ACTOR for the role, whether famous or not (i doubt Genevieve has what it takes to do a action scene). there are many talented actors in 9ja that dont get the chance to show their skills simply because movie producers think with their pockets rather than their heads. i sadly understand why a man who has no idea on how to produce a movie will get famous actors so that innocent moviegoers will still pay to watch their garbage movie, simply because Edmond, Ramsey or Genevieve plays the lead role.

having an unknown actor definitely has advantages as it would mean saving a LOT of money on salaries and invest it on other areas of the production that may need funding. also, since movies in 9ja are all the same garbage, we have already seen all what these famous actors could do, bring us some new talent!!!!!

if the movie is good and, well produced, then whether its with known or unknown actors, people will ultimately pay to watch it.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by buy1get2(m): 4:25pm On Jul 26, 2011
hundred years to come they will still make their hot sales in naija, lolz
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Cmiller(m): 4:28pm On Jul 26, 2011
Yeah it will sell dtx if una go act am 4 Abuja,
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:39pm On Jul 26, 2011
Let me let you in on an open secret

Action Movies sell because of these key ingredients
1: A very Bad Guy with a role that elicits the following (Godlessness, Evil, Fascist and thoroughly chauvinistic)
2: A very good Guy handicapped by tribulations the very bad guy left in his wake
3: Toss in a lot of make believe 5EX and big sweaty booties and that is all you need.

Wanna sell DIE! grin
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Natasha2(f): 9:35pm On Jul 26, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

^^i beg to differ.

the poster should do a casting call and use the BEST ACTOR for the role, whether famous or not (i doubt Genevieve has what it takes to do a action scene). there are many talented actors in 9ja that dont get the chance to show their skills simply because movie producers think with their pockets rather than their heads. i sadly understand why a man who has no idea on how to produce a movie will get famous actors so that innocent moviegoers will still pay to watch their garbage movie, simply because Edmond, Ramsey or Genevieve plays the lead role.

having an unknown actor definitely has advantages as it would mean saving a LOT of money on salaries and invest it on other areas of the production that may need funding. also, since movies in 9ja are all the same garbage, we have already seen all what these famous actors could do, bring us some new talent!!!!!

if the movie is good and, well produced, then whether its with known or unknown actors, people will ultimately pay to watch it.
seconded God bless you and I am one of such talented people  cheesy @poster don't forget me in your movie I'm dead serious I'm not joking
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Emmyk(m): 10:54am On Jul 27, 2011
Hahahaha. I doubt it @op. Maybe when all the old people leave sha. We would have something like sci-fic movie cheesy
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 12:21pm On Jul 27, 2011
Yes. Gugu Michaels' Dangerous Men is attracting crowds at the cinemas in Nigeria. It was made in Lagos.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by oohunt: 12:02am On Jul 28, 2011
An action movie is long over due, so the answer is Yes, It would sell as long as it has our actors n actresses and that the visual effects are good. You may have to make a couple good ones before it catches on.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by liquid7: 12:22pm On Jul 28, 2011
if the production was of western standards then yes but it must cost a fortune to make.not the fake stunts you see where a car brakes and we see a guy jump from a funny angle.not the car explodes and we see a fire from a distance no one is sure what is burning.not the gun is fired a some paint appears on a shirt that clearly been cut with a pair of scissors.
for god sakes we can't even do a man on fire which when showed to me by someone working for bbc is so easy and cheap to do!
do all this things and yes people will watch it no problem.after all district 9 was made purely in south africa with african cast(yes,white south africans were in it but they are africans complete with accent) ,even the director was south african though peter jackson did sponsor the movie but said his involement was minimal.
that movie made $210m made for $30m .
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 31, 2011
we could do a nigerian version of the EXPENDABLES grin grin
Gentle Jack go sell for the movie grin grin
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 31, 2011
liquid7:

if the production was of western standards then yes but it must cost a fortune to make.not the fake stunts you see where a car brakes and we see a guy jump from a funny angle.not the car explodes and we see a fire from a distance no one is sure what is burning.not the gun is fired a some paint appears on a shirt that clearly been cut with a pair of scissors.
for god sakes we can't even do a man on fire which when showed to me by someone working for bbc is so easy and cheap to do!
do all this things and yes people will watch it no problem.after all district 9 was made purely in south africa with african cast(yes,white south africans were in it but they are africans complete with accent) ,even the director was south african though peter jackson did sponsor the movie but said his involement was minimal.
that movie made $210m made for $30m .

the sad fact is that you ARE RIGHT!!! there is simply NO STUNTMEM/STUNTWOMEN in Nollywood, none!
i mean proper PROFESSIONAL that can do car chases, jump off bridges, fall the right way, get knocked by cars etc

also, i dont think it takes MONEY to make a great action movie, it only takes the proper crew and script.
look around, many countries dont release so many movies (as Nollywood) but release 1000times better (low budget) movies than Nollywood. check dozens of African countries such as Ivory Coast, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, SA etc

the industry is poorly educated, most think of financial success before anything, how can they ever succeed in shooting a proper movie?! stuntman will be his brotha, light guy will be his cousin, make up will be the aunt, etc.
as for reshooting a scene where the mic is CLEARLY in the shot?! they surely thinking:"FORGET IT, the viewers wont even notice!!!!!"
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by blacklion(m): 9:43am On Aug 01, 2011
OP,

Unless you have access to serious money or have solid investors backing you, I suggest you think of something other than action movies. Action movies cost millions in $$$ if you actually want to do it right. Also, the technical facilities and production crew are not available in Nigeria. You can hire from South Africa but that still comes down to $$$

As another poster suggested, if you simply want to make a movie different from the typical Nollywood fare of today, why not consider making movies that would exploit Nigeria's history and culture? I've not seen or heard of any movie about the struggle for independence in Nigeria e.g. the coal miner's strike or the Aba women's uprising? Jaja of Opobo? Amina of Zaria? There've been some movies about Oduduwa but those are mostly the usual juju stuff.

In terms of financing, movies with a historical or cultural background will be of more interest to foreign donors. The French and Belgian governments as well the European Union give financial support to filmmakers in francophone African countries. In fact. virtually all the award winning movies from Senegal, Mali, Guinea and other francophone African countries in the last 30-40 years were made with financial assistance (and technical support) from Western donors. Hence they are referred to as 'embassy films' because of the support from Cultural Attaches at French embassies in Africa. You may want to contact the French embassy in Abuja to see if they will support your film. But I very much doubt they will be interested in action movies.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 02, 2011
@ BlackLion,

Pls can you give me your contact details? I would like to get more information from you on the financing aspect. My e-mail address is NK4MB@YAHOO.COM, or you can call me at 07034617401.

I would love to be the one doing the calling so please can you drop your mobile number here for me? I would really appreciate it if you do so.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 9:26pm On Aug 04, 2011
i say a big yes but u hav to make sure that its quality is not compromised.an action movie will be in the region of a million dollars at least so as a screenwriter and actor I will advice u to shoot another story that  will be inexpensive say under 2 mill naira and premier in cinemas.that will help u win some recognition if the storyline is good.I shud emphasise on this because this can make or mar yor movie.this was the strategy kunle afolayan used by makin irapada to gain recognition and then making a hit with figurine.make sure the shooting equipment is thight and get the best of actors either known or unknown.also get your marketing plans right(forget the alaba boys)if u do this well(this is the secret of the nigerian films that suceeded at d cinemas.I worked with kunle on figurine so I shud know)then yor film will sell.i and som friends wana make a film of our own,a horror thriller by september/october.Wish u luck dude
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 11, 2011
@lynx200,

Please can you please drop your contact. I would like to hook up with you when I come to Lagos next month so that I could get some more tips from you. What do you think? Am an avid learner and I like hanging out with dudes like you so that I can learn some more.

I would be glad if you would just let me know you more by having your mobile number. Or you can just email me at NK4MB@YAHOO.COM?
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 4:12pm On Aug 18, 2011
just call me on 08023429131
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 29, 2011
@poster

an action movie will really make sense in Nigeria, but as a beginner I'll advice you to produce an action movie of low budget.

secondly, no Nigerian directors i know even started with an action movie, if you really wants begin with an action, don't make it a big budget like the so called matrix or Spartacus.

if you really wants to make it a big budget, you and your crew needs a story we all know like things fall apart etc like black-lion said you might get a helping hand.

you can make a low action movie that'll really make sense and will gross big. with N50,000,000, an action movie will be down, excluding stunts, excessive make-up, no car racing, no big costume.

i'm telling u this, cause in hollywood hardly you'll see a low budgeted action movie that didn't get gained gross revenue e.g south-african movie tsotsi, budget was $3mil, gross is $9mil still grossing, district 9 was $20 mil, gross $200 mil +, snatch was 10 mil gross is $30 mil+.

but make sure that the low budgeted movie must include, 1 to 2 Nigerian known faces, quality effects, fighting, longer shooting length, invest more in post-production and the story. the story is everything. you and your crew can compose a story that can even make the movie a very low budget of 20-35 million naira. if you and your crew can't, i got such an action story, simple and intriguing.
you can contact me through my mobile(08063012705), the story is free.

one more thing, make sure that the movie trailer will count, not just normal Nigerian movie advert.

i'm out.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by SirButty: 7:44pm On Aug 29, 2011
forget about "will it sell?". anything that requires global recognition needs global certification. MAKE IT WORLD STANDARD.
decide on the highest quality and itemise everything u think is required. read extensively. ONLY work with people of similar vision.

start with the easiest things. start NOW. quentin tarantino learned how to make movies from VHS. of course, u have seen kill bill?

key ingredient - passion for quality. you know naija music videos have gone (speeding car sound in the bakground).

hopefully soon naija movies will catch up, undecided

and trust me, people are waiting for something with the umph! dont let me beat u to it, wink

best of luck.
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by egaruba(m): 9:24am On Jan 01, 2012
RATED E SCREENPLAYS - UNLOCKING CREATIVITY

FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN!

About:   
Screenplay Writing & Consultation Service.

Company Overview:   
RATED E offers the very best in Story Concepts and Screenplay writing for feature film, TV, and new media. Our mission is to develop and produce meaningful story driven and high concept African-themed motion pictures for the African film and TV market that will inspire, engage and entertain audiences worldwide.

Description:
Rated E is a web site dedicated to the works of screenwriter Emil B. Garuba. The website covers Emil's efforts in feature films and TV. On the site you’ll find free screenwriting advice as well as information on Emil's Script Consultation Service. As a freelance script reader, Emil has read literally thousands of screenplays for agents and production companies. As a produced screenwriter, he's constantly working through the ins and outs of screenwriting. And now as a script consultant, he's offering his professional expertise to you at an affordable price.

Service:
Script Consultant - Original Screenplays, Spec Screenplays, rewrites and adaptations. Contact us for our service rates.

Email - ratedeproductions@hotmail.com
Web - www.ratedeproductions.yolasite.com
Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by PaulBerry: 1:13am On Feb 10, 2012
@ poster, i was captured by your thread and have this to say to you. i am a dramatist residing in warri. Some of these questions you are asking i believe you know the answers yourself and if not, then you're not ready for business.
I am trying to react to one of your thread which talk about popular faces.

The truth is that Nigeria movies sucks. Very few of them i can take home. My piece of advice for you, i don't care your decree in movie making, if you want to set a standard run away from nollywood actors. You must be able to balance the equilibrium of movie making to make the difference, to hell with those so called popular faces also. Your Visual, After, Special fx must be OK, it is not about making matrix, it is about been unique in your story and production, if you are ready i can reason with you let us brain storm, if we have anything in common then we can do a JV. I want to make the first and best thrill movie that will shake you of your seat with all the FX put together and i will do it in Delta state + Nigerians will beg to buy it. What Nigerians need is a movie that is real and we will give it to them.
If u need me reach me on 07034354547, please only the poster of this thread should call me. I am attaching to your thread my December production poster, i did the story, writing, scripting and Fx myself and the actors are all mine, It was a thrill done on stage 2011.
Thank you very much.

Re: Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? by VillageBoi(m): 3:42pm On Feb 11, 2012
@ Obongproff. I gather from some of your posts where you say you want to 'learn'. If you are a starter, it will be pretty difficult for you to shoot a good 'action' film. Possible but very difficult. Why don't you learn & hone you skill by shooting a few 'short' films 5-10mins; maybe dramas.

Action is not at all an easy genre to pull-off well and most of 'our' films with 'effects' look horrible. One big mistake we make is not educating ourselves how to make good films. If you want to jump right in at the deep-end and straight into feature films then play to our 'strengths', shoot a very good drama of 'International' quality, picture, story, acting.

Remember 'Story' is King!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Animax Tv (a 24hrs Anime Channel Launches On Hitv) / Jagaban Ft Selina Tested Episode 7 / My Experience At Kada Cinema Tonight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.