Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns (6541 Views)

Baddest Beef In Nigerian Hip-hop / Latest Nigerian Hip Hop / 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Orikinla(m): 7:59pm On Jul 24, 2011
The live performances of 99% of Nigerian hiphop singers are very amateurish.
Yes, they are entertainers.
Just like clowns are entertainers.

They remind me of our high school performances.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 24, 2011
And their beats have same tempo, drums etc,

What part of the game is that?
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 24, 2011
Orikinla:

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:22am On Jul 25, 2011
99% what sample are you working with?? do a list and do the math let's see how that goes undecided
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by eldee(m): 10:03am On Jul 25, 2011
Orikinla:

Says the negro that was promoting this wack poo called 'Laura the Rapper'

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-158303.0.html
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by rapjunkie(m): 10:35am On Jul 25, 2011
eldee:

ouch!!. . . . . .  grin grin grin grin grin grin

guess he didnt think u would dig that out??. . . .  grin grin grin
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by 04kaa: 12:33pm On Jul 25, 2011
rapjunkie:

lmfao, eldee u are wicked!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by eldee(m): 2:47pm On Jul 25, 2011
rapjunkie:

Thanks to him . . . I always had that thread in my head anytime I think of femcees.
And back then we had only like four.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by daniellle(f): 1:07pm On Jul 28, 2011
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by dip0: 1:11pm On Jul 28, 2011
eldee:

Bros wahalai u be bad person. Ah ahn grin
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Gbenge77(m): 1:24pm On Jul 28, 2011
You can say that again.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by DAY12(m): 1:38pm On Jul 28, 2011
@OP, u must have been drinking Ogidiga! lipsrsealed
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Scambuster: 1:51pm On Jul 28, 2011
DAY11.:

@OP, u must have been drinking Ogidiga! lipsrsealed
You are the one drinking ogidiga if you think the Op is not making any sense. Nigeria does not have live music performers. broaden you scope and check out real musicians perform. get some youtube on
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by begwong: 2:01pm On Jul 28, 2011
Well,as far as e dey pay dem,clown or no clown e beta pass agbero work!!
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Orikinla(m): 2:02pm On Jul 28, 2011
Promoting who? Is there any rapper called Laura? Guess you are too dumb to know what is a satire. Have you seen the live performance of any of the Nigerian hip hop artistes without recorded music?  Each takes his or her turn to lipsynch and hop around the stage making more noise than music.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by swiftycool(m): 2:11pm On Jul 28, 2011
Well if you say the singers u might be right as almost all of dem depend on auto-tune to cover their 4uked up voices, hence always having to mime at live concerts but then there are d naturals like 2face and whats d name of dat guy who sang the hook 4 ice prince's "o le ku". He is d bomb
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by earthrealm(m): 2:13pm On Jul 28, 2011
yes, i support the first spe4aker
dbanj  is close to the top in that list.

after watchng that gej  n dbanj interview,, he shud go n hide his head in shame
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Orikinla(m): 2:22pm On Jul 28, 2011
How many of them are really making money? I can count them on my fingertips. Many of them are doing 419 and using hip hop for cover up. Come to Lagos and see scores of them who have paid so much to amateur studio engineers and DJs to record their voices over recorded music and paying Alaba pirates to include them in their "Alaba Mix" for circulation . I receive many emails asking me to hype them and recommend them for broadcast. But I have only posted on Asa, Nneka, Shine, Sasha, Tu Face Idibia, Dbang, P Square, Dare Art Alade and the few others who are really worthy. The clowns simply want to appear on TV and without their music videos, they are not better than clowns on stage. They cannot even make high school gigs in the US.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Mortiple(m): 2:32pm On Jul 28, 2011
Orikinla:

The live performances of 99% of Nigerian hiphop singers are very amateurish.  Yes, they are entertainers. Just like clowns are entertainers. They remind me of our high school performances.

No be mi talk am o!!!  
Anyway, the problem is not peculiar with Nigerian hip-hop musicians, other genres are  guilty too.  They no longer make good music but NOISE, yet people celebrate them. As far as I am concerned, Naija music is on reverse gear.  Abeg play me some old skool tunes.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Walala(m): 2:42pm On Jul 28, 2011
I totally agree that these so called rappers are clowns. I think Dban'j is okay but everyone else is trash. We can't keep imitating American artistes and expect to sound original. Did Fela ever imitate anyone? NO, he simply created his own music and that's why he is up there with Bob Marley and Co.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Zenakoboko(m): 2:56pm On Jul 28, 2011
@ poster , 2day u promote, 2moro u protest?
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Morale of the whole thing:
Consistency is a virtue, don't start what you don wanna finish,  grin grin

eldee, welldone jare!
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Ibomade1: 3:55pm On Jul 28, 2011
eldee:

That was fast cheesy cheesy
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by vitality22(m): 4:15pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ibo-made:

That was fast cheesy cheesy
very very fast indeed
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by hackney(m): 4:37pm On Jul 28, 2011
Eldee just shut da thread down , double time!
bad guy.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by nigerhead(m): 4:45pm On Jul 28, 2011
grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy Laura da Raffer , cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Ojumiii(m): 4:47pm On Jul 28, 2011
they are not only clowns but jesters
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by phreakabit(m): 4:54pm On Jul 28, 2011
@OP please define the term Hip-Hop? Hope you know the difference between what Terry G, Durela, Timaya and the likes do compared to what MI , Mode 9 and the rest do? Think b4 you talk. Just how are they clowns? Do you see any of them acting imbecilic like Waka Flocka Flame? Or your mouth just dey scratch you to yarn? Hip hop is an art, depending on who you choose to listen to, you are either the genius or the intellectual midget.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Orikinla(m): 5:27pm On Jul 28, 2011
phreakabit:

@OP please define the term Hip-Hop? Hope you know the difference between what Terry G, Durela, Timaya and the likes do compared to what MI , Mode 9 and the rest do? Think b4 you talk. Just how are they clowns? Do you see any of them acting imbecilic like Waka Flocka Flame? Or your mouth just dey scratch you to yarn? Hip hop is an art, depending on who you choose to listen to, you are either the genius or the intellectual midget.
I would prefer we address the topic without getting personal. There is a Wikipedia page on Nigerian hip hop or hip life music and an MTV Base documentary where all the names you mentioned were in the same category, including Terry G and Dbang. Sociologically, Terry G's music is even more original from his background compared to Dbang and his gang. Terry G's Ajegunle ghetto hip hop is more original than Whiz Kid's imitations of American/Jamaican hip hop. Majority of them simply voice over recorded sounds and music lifted from American hip hop. Whiz Kid copied a popular song and simply changed the words to local slangs  which is common among junior high school pupils. Even none of them can come close to our celebrated high school band Ofege  or what we did at St. Gregory's College, Lagos, in our later years. We played musical instruments. We were taught how to sing. I was taught the basic rudiments of music. Learn the craft and you will master the art. They should not be in a hurry to get rich quick or get fame overnight.      more original from his background compared to Dbang and his gang. Terry G's Ajegunle ghetto hip hop is more original than Whiz Kid's imitations of American/Jamaican hip hop. Majority of them simply voice over recorded sounds and music lifted from American hip hop. Whiz Kid copied a popular song and simply changed the words to local slangs  which is common among junior high school pupils. Even none of them can come close to our celebrated high school band Ofege  or what we did at St. Gregory's College, Lagos, in our later years. We played musical instruments. We were taught how to sing. I was taught the basic rudiments of music. Learn the craft and you will master the art. They should not be in a hurry to get rich quick or get fame overnight.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by IBEXY(m): 5:41pm On Jul 28, 2011
When you speak and sing in a "New York accent" in the middle of Agegunle, how can you be authentic? When you immitate and rep a movement you dont truely understand or belong to, it comes out fake. I think our musicians should borrow more from the rich cultural background we have in naija. It will be more authentic and acceptable. A few have done and they are doing very well. All that clownish pointing and gesticulating gansta hand signal is sickening.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by phreakabit(m): 5:49pm On Jul 28, 2011
Orikinla:

I would prefer we address the topic without getting personal. There is a Wikipedia page on Nigerian hip hop or hip life music and an MTV Base documentary where all the names you mentioned were in the same category, including Terry G and Dbang. Sociologically, Terry G's music is even more original from his background compared to Dbang and his gang. Terry G's Ajegunle ghetto hip hop is more original than Whiz Kid's imitations of American/jamaican hip hop. Majority of them simply voice over recorded sounds and music lifted from American hip hop. Whiz Kid copied a poular song and simply changed the words to local slangs  which is common among junior high school pupils. Even none of them can come close to our celebrated high school band Ofege  or what we did at St. Gregory's College, Lagos, in our later years. We played musical instruments. We were taught how to sing.   om his background compared to Dbang and his gang. Terry G's Ajegunle ghetto hip hop is more original than Whiz Kid's imitations of American/jamaican hip hop. Majority of them simply voice over recorded sounds and music lifted from American hip hop. Whiz Kid copied a poular song and simply changed the words to local slangs  which is common among junior high school pupils. Even none of them can come close to our celebrated high school band Ofege  or what we did at St. Gregory's College, Lagos, in our later years. We played musical instruments. We were taught how to sing.  

Brilliant reply, however I am still of the opinion that not up to 99% of them are clowns. Come on don't you think that figure is a little to exaggerated ? I  am not a fan of Wiz kid and yes I think its silly he actually totally leeched a foreign song and gave it new words in a local dialect. Either way, I will still say he has talent but just lacks words and the creativity to come up with some mind puzzling lyrics . If given the right support and advice, I think he and others can actually do better. Not a huge Fan also but I think the Choc boys aren't so bad. Terry G is actually doing his thing in exemption of his outright lack of lyrical content and repetition of words and beats, I would say he is very entertaining to say the least. As for those voicing over American beats that's what they call a Freestyle ( not necessarily an off the dome freestyle though) and is not actually a commercial song, rather just an exhibition of their lyrical and word play ability. Hope that helps? cheesy
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by phreakabit(m): 5:53pm On Jul 28, 2011
IBEXY:

When you speak and sing in a "New York accent" in the middle of Agegunle, how can you be authentic? When you immitate and rep a movement you dont truely understand or belong to, it comes out fake. I think our musicians should borrow more from the rich cultural background we have in naija. It will be more authentic and acceptable. A few have done and they are doing very well. All that clownish pointing and gesticulating gansta hand signal is sickening.

Ever heard of the term YOUTH APPEAL? I guess you will buy it if they made it a lil bit more traditional? BTW why don't you buy Fuji and listen to it after-all its refereed to as the Yoruba version of Hip-hop. WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK HIP-HOP IS CALLED COMMERCIAL MUSIC?
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by fm7070: 6:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
Poverty and joblessness push many to entertainment circle, just in a hurry to get something out of it without knowing the rudiment of music. U realise that Timaya sings with same beat in all his albums and colabo. Same with many of them. Although, they are making some things. Anyway, thanx to likes of Dare-Art Alade, Faze, 2face, etc and some other great ones who have good composition, good music and not just making noise.
However, I can bet it, 99.99% of them can not even get to the final stage of Project Fame.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ruggedman – Push Ft Terry G (Video) / Phyno #connect Lyrics And Translation In English / Download Am Gonna By Mohbad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.