Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,687 members, 7,813,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns (6539 Views)

Baddest Beef In Nigerian Hip-hop / Latest Nigerian Hip Hop / 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by BABE3: 6:43pm On Jul 28, 2011
LOL @ Nigeria. I laugh in English. See confusion.

Ok, pls can someone help me differentiate HIP-HOP from HIP-HOP. Coz HIP-HOP get levels in 9JA.

I think We have the "MI, Ice prince, Ruggedman, Late Dagrin, Soundsultan" AKA the correct ones.  smiley

Then we have the "Timaya, Terry g, Dbanj" AKA the "all over the place" ones.  undecided

Right?

So, OP, you need to look past the general/common songs, and start listening to correct 9ja songs.

Yes, some of their live performances are whack---but seriously who's isn't. Americans have some pretty horrible live performers too e.g  Rihanna. The only difference between her and Timaya performing is the advance in technology.  grin

Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by tpia5: 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2011
why did that laura the rapper have fetish stuff on her neck?

geez. undecided

small time now una go dey curse say una no find responsible men.

and vice versa.

Or say your village witches are too powerful.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by IBEXY(m): 7:32pm On Jul 28, 2011
phreakabit:

Ever heard of the term YOUTH APPEAL?
More like trash appeal.

phreakabit:

WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK HIP-HOP IS CALLED COMMERCIAL MUSIC?
Exactly. Not much in quality. Just "flash in the fry pan" stuff with no longetivity. By the way, which sort of music is NOT commercial? RnB?

phreakabit:
I guess you will buy it if they made it a lil bit more traditional? BTW why don't you buy Fuji and listen to it after-all its refereed to as the Yoruba version of Hip-hop.
Think about raggae from Jamaica. Why do you think its so popular? Bob Marley was traditional, commercially viable and very very authentic. Why? He remained with what he knew and stuff that was his tradition/ culture. Why cant Fuji be exported. Afterall Makosa was succesfully sold to the world.

I love hip-hop. But after idolising people like Eminem, Dre, Snoop, 2pac and understanding why they say what they say, its kind of fake listening to a prenterder from naija trying to sound Brooklyn. It just dont feel the same.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by phreakabit(m): 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2011
IBEXY:

Exactly. Not much in quality. Just "flash in the fry pan" stuff with no longetivity. By the way, which sort of music is NOT commercial? RnB?
Think about raggae from Jamaica. Why do you think its so popular? Bob Marley was traditional, commercially viable and very very authentic. Why? He remained with what he knew and stuff that was his tradition/ culture. Why cant Fuji be exported. Afterall Makosa was succesfully sold to the world.

RFLMAO@ succesfully sold to the world and exporting Fuji. SERIOUSLY did you just ask that? Was reggae in a language different from English? Define what you mean by WORLD. 

I love hip-hop. But after idolising people like Eminem, Dre, Snoop, 2pac and understanding why they say what they say, its kind of fake listening to a prenterder from naija trying to sound Brooklyn. It just dont feel the same.

As for the rappers you listed, PLEASE show me one popular rapper in Nigeria doing gangster rap.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by MadDog1(m): 8:13pm On Jul 28, 2011
loool.the op must be frustrated in his music life! nonsense!
one singer from portharcout says
Even if you be world best, some people go dey still dey criticize u!
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by MadDog1(m): 8:16pm On Jul 28, 2011
BABE!:

Ok, pls can someone help me differentiate HIP-HOP from HIP-HOP. Coz HIP-HOP get levels in 9JA.

I think We have the "MI, Ice prince, Ruggedman, Late Dagrin, Soundsultan" AKA the correct ones. smiley

Then we have the "Timaya, Terry g, Dbanj" AKA the "all over the place" ones. undecided

Right?

So, OP, you need to look past the general/common songs, and start listening to correct 9ja songs.

Yes, some of their live performances are whack---but seriously who's isn't. Americans have some pretty horrible live performers too e.g Rihanna. The only difference between her and Timaya performing is the advance in technology. grin

baby you too much! so you notice this! undecided
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by EgbeNak: 8:42pm On Jul 28, 2011
phreakabit:

RFLMAO@ succesfully sold to the world and exporting Fuji. SERIOUSLY did you just ask that? Was reggae in a language different from English? Define what you mean by WORLD.  As for the rappers you listed, PLEASE show me one popular rapper in Nigeria doing gangster rap.

Learn to stop digging when you're in a hole. Your arguements make's sense to you only.
Lol!!! Cheers!!!
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by Orikinla(m): 8:58pm On Jul 28, 2011
tpia@:

why did that laura the rapper have fetish stuff on her neck?

geez. undecided

small time now una go dey curse say una no find responsible men.

and vice versa.

Or say your village witches are too powerful.

Keep stalking me. grin
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by phreakabit(m): 9:52pm On Jul 28, 2011
Egbe Nak:

Learn to stop digging when you're in a hole. Your arguements make's sense to you only.
Lol!!! Cheers!!!

I wish I could stoop low enough to your level of intelligence, just to answer you but I cant, sorry. You should first learn to read and understand. Then I will know you dont have a brain the size of a grain of guinea corn , and maybe then  I might just consider responding. Hope you dont consider this a response, rather it should be seen as an advise. BTW you should seriously consider taking English classes your spelling is appalling! Its ARGUMENTS NOT arguements . Now go back to the hole from which you came. Cheers and Good night!!!
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by airmark(m): 9:57pm On Jul 28, 2011
BABE!:

I think We have the "MI, Ice prince, Ruggedman, Late Dagrin, Soundsultan" AKA the correct ones.  smiley

MI, so, you also fell for his "I solo like isolo" kind of lines .  grin grin grin
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by kizydafizy(m): 10:24pm On Jul 28, 2011
Even the late Amy Winehouse had been booed off the stage before for messing up her lyrics and being unprofessional, so many of the American artistes have had their lows and embarrassing stage moments too!
So @Op, give our local artistes a break. With all your so called musical knowledge, you of all people suppose know say e no easy to prosper in the entertainment industry, be it as a well trained musical expert or as a bonafide clown!
I'm sure deep down, you're neither a hater nor a frustrated musician-wannabe.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by BABE3: 10:31pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mad Dog!!!:

baby you too much! so you notice this! undecided

I can't pay one dime to watch that babe perform live.  #Truetalk.

airmark:

MI, so, you also fell for his "I solo like isolo" kind of lines .  grin grin grin

**clears throat***  **Mic testing 1,2.**  grin

"These Niggas want Promo"

"They standing way too close, they so Homo"

"They need to clean up their Flow, they need Omo"

"And 'make more money- money' is my Motto"
 M.I., 09.

Yes, Airmark---I fell for them lines.  angry

LOL @ I solo like isolo.  angry
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by armyofone(m): 10:40pm On Jul 28, 2011
Laura the  rapper  grin
John the ripper, naija hiphop is child's play  grin the way they imitate DMX  grin is very amusing
i'd prefer Nigeria R&B or Nigeria country music undecided
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by phreakabit(m): 10:48pm On Jul 28, 2011
armyofone:

Laura the  rapper  grin
John the ripper, naija hiphop is child's play  grin the way they imitate DMX  grin is very amusing
i'd prefer Nigeria R&B or Nigeria country music undecided

Talk about fake and childs play.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by IBEXY(m): 10:55pm On Jul 28, 2011
I read someone say Timaya is a hip-hop artiste? This is the problem. Some people here dont even know what hip-hop or rap music means.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by BABE3: 11:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
IBEXY:

I read someone say Timaya is a hip-hop artiste? This is the problem. Some people here dont even know what hip-hop or rap music means.

grin Pls classify Timaya for me abeg---

Hope you know that those standard genres don't apply for Nigerian music/artistes---It's either they're "Hip-Hop" or "Non-Hip hop"- grin No need for the efizy.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by mamagee3(f): 1:53am On Jul 29, 2011
I agree, lol!!! grin grin grin
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by DamiKhojie(m): 2:27am On Jul 29, 2011
Most are trash I like a few like Naeto C, MI, Ice Prince,DaGrin and some others. My problem with most of the Nigerian rappers is I have no problem with them being inspired by US rapper but they just go all out and imitate copy them and the vast majority of the time they do it poorly( you can also observe this with Nigerian reggae & dancehall impersonators). Also artists like Timaya, P-Square, 2face, Flavour, J Martins, D'Banj are more Nigerian Pop, Dance music then Hip-Hop most just put a modern twist on Nigerian Music.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by tpia5: 3:15am On Jul 29, 2011
music or no music, are there any documentaries about these people.

i watched one on mary j blige today and it was quite interesting.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by zubantus(m): 11:47am On Jul 29, 2011
ok, let me start by sayin we ve singes n rappers, rappers do hiphop n singers do rnb or afro-pop. Likes of timaya,dbanj,9ja ninja dont do hiphop, dey sing or talk or beats. 4 example MI's numba 1 wit flavour ws nt hiphop, it ws rap on an afro-beat. Rap is d vocal content of hiphop, doe it can b used in oda genre of music.my say is dat we ve few rapper in nigeria music 2day and plenty wack singers and wannabe rappers in nigeria music 2day and plenty wack singers and wannabe rappers
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by lomaxbien(m): 12:21pm On Jul 29, 2011
smh at poster grin angry grin grin
@eldee
great job

geez i love nairaland grin grin grin

Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by IBEXY(m): 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2011
Please know your HIP from your HOP. grin
Naija rappers, please stop trying to sound like New Yorkers. If you have never lived in America why would you want to sound like a yankee doodle? Its silly because your primary fans are Nigerians. Why not rap in Pidgeon English or Yoruba/Ibo/Hausa. The Latinos in America have several rappers who do it in Spanish and they are big!

Ever wondered why 2face made it big? (note, he's not a rapper smiley ) You'll never hear him trying to sound like 50cent or Grand Master Flash and the furious 5. He cut his own style - even sings in Pidgeon English yet he's loved all over the world. He's original.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by asas(f): 1:09pm On Jul 29, 2011
IBEXY:

Please know your HIP from your HOP. grin
Naija rappers, please stop trying to sound like New Yorkers. If you have never lived in America why would you want to sound like a yankee doodle? Its silly because your primary fans are Nigerians. Why not rap in Pidgeon English or Yoruba/Ibo/Hausa. The Latinos in America have several rappers who do it in Spanish and they are big!

Ever wondered why 2face made it big? (note, he's not a rapper smiley ) You'll never hear him trying to sound like 50cent or Grand Master Flash and the furious 5. He cut his own style - even sings in Pidgeon English yet he's loved all over the world. He's original.

Pls tell dem
half of the 9ja songs i c on hitv or hi nolly watever its called are crap , just a few r ok
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by otiigba1(m): 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2011
IBEXY:

When you speak and sing in a "New York accent" in the middle of Agegunle, how can you be authentic? When you immitate and rep a movement you dont truely understand or belong to, it comes out fake. I think our musicians should borrow more from the rich cultural background we have in naija. It will be more authentic and acceptable. A few have done and they are doing very well. All that clownish pointing and gesticulating gansta hand signal is sickening.
grin grin grin i agree, a fake "new york accent" silly auto-tunes, they even wear heavy winter coats in the hot naija weather just to imitate the new york image it is appaulingly embarrasing!
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by otiigba1(m): 2:12pm On Jul 29, 2011
IBEXY:

More like trash appeal.

gbam! yep! agreed again, e be like say me and you dey think thing d same ting cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by otiigba1(m): 2:18pm On Jul 29, 2011
phreakabit:

RFLMAO@ succesfully sold to the world and exporting Fuji. SERIOUSLY did you just ask that? Was reggae in a language different from English? Define what you mean by WORLD.

As for the rappers you listed, PLEASE show me one popular rapper in Nigeria doing gangster rap.

you sound like you live in a small village in nigeria,
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by otiigba1(m): 2:26pm On Jul 29, 2011
kizydafizy:

Even the late Amy Winehouse had been booed off the stage before for messing up her lyrics and being unprofessional, so many of the American artistes have had their lows and embarrassing stage moments too!
So @Op, give our local artistes a break. With all your so called musical knowledge, you of all people suppose know say e no easy to prosper in the entertainment industry, be it as a well trained musical expert or as a bonafide clown!
I'm sure deep down, you're neither a hater nor a frustrated musician-wannabe.
point of correction! amy winehouse was booed off stage because she was drunk, not because her music was not good or she couldnt sing, there is no comparising between amy and this naija clowns
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by IBEXY(m): 3:39pm On Jul 29, 2011
oti-igba:

grin grin grin i agree, a fake "new york accent" silly auto-tunes, they even wear heavy winter coats in the hot naija weather just to imitate the new york image it is appaulingly embarrasing!
grin grin
Stop making me laugh so hard. My friends in the office think am running mad laughing alone.
Seriously hilarious analysis though straight to the point.
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by cammax7(m): 4:13pm On Jul 29, 2011
I used to be a heavy critic of our movie and music industries, and then I came to realize that they(the industries) are a reflection of our society and ourselves. so while yall be pointing the finger, at least 3 points back at you!
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by wazobiang: 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2011
i feel like flogging you with a microphone. groundnut head!
Re: 99% Of Nigerian Hip Hop Singers Are Clowns by BABE3: 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2011
IBEXY:

Please know your HIP from your HOP.  grin

Pls how many Nigerian rappers have you heard of sef----  undecided

They DO RAP IN PIGdiN, YORUBA, IGBO AND HAUSA and some other languages that me sef no understand.

Ever heard of DAGRIN?---raps in yoruba.

Ever heard of OLAMIDE?----raps in yoruba

Ever heard of FALZ?---raps in yoruba and english

Ever heard of OJB?---raps in yoruba and english.

Ever heard of REMINISCE?---raps in yoruba, english, etc. (lol)

Ever heard of ELDEE?----when he raps, he raps in yoruba and english.

There are a WHOLE lot more--I just can't seem to remember them now.

A good number of them do rap with an American Accent, and it works. Ever heard of M.I and NAETO C? Ever heard of ICE-PRINCE, JESSE JAGZ--and co?

IBEXY:

Ermmm---- 2face made it coz he's original and he can deliver---Not because he's not a rapper. Hope you know M.I.-- the biggest 50CENT sounding guy in 9ja--- is making it REAL BIG!

Y'all need to expand your horizon and start listening to correct 9ja music.

oti-igba:

FAIL! EPIC FAIL! That's not the rap music I listen to o. Auto-tune to rap in 9ja? Winter-Coat in video? Chei! **smh*** You just made the world know that you're not used to 9ja rap-music ATALL. You're just misyaning.

9ja rap-music has gone past all that BS--- you need to stay current.  wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ruggedman – Push Ft Terry G (Video) / Phyno #connect Lyrics And Translation In English / Download Am Gonna By Mohbad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.