Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,416 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties - Properties (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties (27970 Views)

Agents Of Rental Properties Needed / Oga Landlord - Software For Managing Rental Properties. / How Long To Re-coup Rental Properties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 8:09pm On Sep 21, 2011
spyder880:

Thank you sir, I am always encouraged when I see you around.

I am not sure you need any encouragement  . . . .  You just know your onion to the fullest, I dey learn as i dey read, Sir
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 2:20pm On Oct 08, 2011
I took a tour to a typical naija market. I was in Ogbete main market inside Enugu town and discovered that there is another angle to this whole rental property business. As you all know, traders pay top dollars (Naira jare) to secure and retain their shops where they display their wares. This type of rental is where you are sure the tenant must pay up the end of every month, why? Because if he delays and he loses this shop, he could be out of business.

Investors regularly buy and sell these shops and rent them to traders. I was surprised when my host told me his shop is worth around N5m on face value, and that if not that he owns this shop himself, the rents will be around N25k per month at the position of the shop in question. This could be another money spinner from what I saw. Shops are another branch of the rental property business.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 7:17pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^^ Chief, but by the time you look at cost of buying lands in those kinda places you have mentioned, i am sure the lands alone will be so expensive, and the recoup period for the investment might be longer than expected
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 8:14pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^^ baba, there is no land to be bought. These shops are existing built up stores and that is what is sold and resold.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 11:05pm On Oct 08, 2011
spyder880:

^^^ baba, there is no land to be bought. These shops are existing built up stores and that is what is sold and resold.

How much are these shops being sold before it is resold?
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 6:13am On Oct 09, 2011
^^^ it depends on the position of the shop, some that are on the 'express' a part of the market where pedestrians use so much because the walk ways are wider, hence busier. Those ones range for between N3m - N5m, and there are none vacant, all are shops in use and owners can sell to another who will continue to rent to present occupant or change tenants, if he doesn't want to use it himself.
There are cheaper ones in less busy areas selling for N1m and less. Please note that I am talking about a lock up shop measuring about 8ft square.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2011
I honestly still dont understand this concept , , , maybe i need to find time to study what you are talking about.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by oluwabamis(m): 6:42am On Oct 11, 2011
I have been following this thread since yesterday. Kudos to all posters especially spyder888. Rental prop Ty biz is very lucrative actually. I have build a couple of personnal houses and I just love building. It's a long term thing, so if you are a short term person, this is not for you. More gist later, got to prepare my kids for school.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 7:30am On Oct 11, 2011
^^^^ its long term my man. And it can secure your future by making sure you have residual income for the rest of your life. The reason I love rental properties is that it provides surprise money.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by AmAlone: 8:25am On Oct 11, 2011
oluwabamis:

I have been following this thread since yesterday. Kudos to all posters especially spyder888. Rental prop Ty biz is very lucrative actually. I have build a couple of personnal houses and I just love building. It's a long term thing, so if you are a short term person, this is not for you. More gist later, got to prepare my kids for school.

Fhemmmy:

^^^ Chief, but by the time you look at cost of buying lands in those kinda places you have mentioned, i am sure the lands alone will be so expensive, and the recoup period for the investment might be longer than expected

spyder880:

^^^^ its long term my man. And it can secure your future by making sure you have residual income for the rest of your life. The reason I love rental properties is that it provides surprise money.

@Spyder, I kept wondering why you didn't talk about SHoPs all this while(was one of the reasons why I didn't get myself involve in this).
From the best of my knowledge shops are the most lucrative business in the building business in Nigeria.

From my previous calculations, it will take you a minimum of 14years to recoup your investment if you build a house(anywhere in Lagos, including cost of land) and that is if you don't have bad tenants and your tenants moves in immediately after the building is completed and if you don't spend any cash at all on maintainance.

But for shops, I calculated a maximum of 7 to 8years to recoup your investment(including cost of land). Again, value of shops(the once that are in strategic locations) appreciates even more rapidly and can easily be sold out if the need arise.

WOrD uP!
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 8:51am On Oct 11, 2011
^^^ yes, strategically located shops are a goldmine anyday.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by AmAlone: 8:54am On Oct 11, 2011
Though I don't mean buying shops!!!!
I mean buying a land on a Major road and building something like
a plaza with a minimum of 33 shops/office in it.

The minimum to budget is 15million(depending on what you want.

Land can cost 12million. 2million can build you 7shops on the front of the land
Then when you have money you can build the main plaza or so inside the land.
The higher the value of the land = the cost = more advantage and more strategy you will need.

But if you want to build a plaza direct, you may want to look for lands worth from 20million upward

another 20 to 30m can complete it for you!!!!
50m total and I assure you, you can get that cash in 8years.
But please don't be too greedy with the concept of the plaza(if you can give packing space, do. build the plaza in a way almost all the sellers
can enjoy equal advantage)
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by AmAlone: 9:10am On Oct 11, 2011
Now from my experience:

I have an almost 3 plots of land. But the front measured 120ft.
I intend to build a large plaza with a minimum of 56 shop and 2 warehouse.
But because of cash wey dey yab man!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I just left the place like that. But just july this month, i came up with an idea to just
build some shops at the front using only the government set back(in a way that the shop can be
there while i am building my plaza when I'm ready, the shops wont reach or affect the plaza itself).

Now my point is, including borehole that I did for the 12shops, toilet, the front that i make look extremely good compared to others,
town planing that I have to pay over 100k, PHCN and everything I spent on the shop(despite the fact that i made it look 3times
more beautiful than normal, I still spend a total of 1.5million). But when i collected my 2years rent(which the tenants rushed to pay)

I got a total of 2million. Which means I gain back my cash immediately with an extra 500k.

Another point is that, i have not even really utilized
the land. So I am 100 and 1% into shops/plaza build
as it is more than a good investment for me!!!!
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by AmAlone: 9:14am On Oct 11, 2011
Each shops measures 8 by 10ft each and I am collecting 6k per month. The smallest of the shops measures 6 by 11ft and I still collect 6k.
The biggest measures 9 and 1/2ft and I'm collecting 7k.

in other words, so much cash were not spent to build the shops, but the rent is okay!!!
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by oluwabamis(m): 9:37am On Oct 12, 2011
^^^ this is really good. I have a 2 1/2 plot by the roadside too, I may be thinking about building some shops too, at least let me start making money on that land till I m ready for the main project. An eye opener indeed.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 4:19pm On Oct 14, 2011
Lets spare a thought for the suffering segment of the society, those who wake up and brush their teeth on the road in the full view of the public, those who has to wait till night or earliest mornings to bath in the open with only the cover of darkness as their bathroom!

Welcome to the world of the very, very poor.

1 Like

Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 4:45pm On Oct 14, 2011
Seeing this kinda stuff makes me to hate our leader with such anger . . .
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Ferya(f): 7:11pm On Oct 14, 2011
Seeing this kinda stuff makes me to hate our leader with such anger . . .

So painful cry Yet nothing Good comes from that luck angry
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by oluwabamis(m): 6:48pm On Oct 25, 2011
That good luck is for him and his family.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Oct 25, 2011
oluwabamis:

That good luck is for him and his family.

Na wa oh . .
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by atasteve: 10:43pm On Oct 25, 2011
Am Alone:

Now from my experience:

I have an almost 3 plots of land. But the front measured 120ft.
I intend to build a large plaza with a minimum of 56 shop and 2 warehouse.
But because of cash wey dey yab man!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I just left the place like that. But just july this month, i came up with an idea to just
build some shops at the front using only the government set back(in a way that the shop can be
there while i am building my plaza when I'm ready, the shops wont reach or affect the plaza itself).

Now my point is, including borehole that I did for the 12shops, toilet, the front that i make look extremely good compared to others,
town planing that I have to pay over 100k, PHCN and everything I spent on the shop(despite the fact that i made it look 3times
more beautiful than normal, I still spend a total of 1.5million). But when i collected my 2years rent(which the tenants rushed to pay)

I got a total of 2million. Which means I gain back my cash immediately with an extra 500k.

Another point is that, i have not even really utilized
the land. So I am 100 and 1% into shops/plaza build
as it is more than a good investment for me!!!!

He that walks with the wise shall be saved but the company of fools shall be destroyed. Thanks for the insight. smiley
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 5:28am On Oct 26, 2011
atasteve:

He that walks with the wise shall be saved but the company of fools shall be destroyed. Thanks for the insight. smiley

Only the spirit could have revealed this to you
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by okunoba(m): 4:58am On Nov 10, 2011
@spyderman880, how much would a 2/3 bedroom cost in Enugu(sale) if looking to buy in a good area or near the centre.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 6:51am On Nov 10, 2011
^^^ between N6m - N10m depending on the actual area and how old the house is. Good streets with good road, quiet area with better security and the size of the plot will add or remove from the final cost.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2011
Surprise Surprise!!!
Enugu lands has so much risen in value that we cannot find any land which is reasonable in price. Somebody from nairaland contacted me to find him the ideal land for his new house. I have been moving all around town since the past 2 weeks to see any land at the range of 3.5m-4m in any good location in Enugu where somebody can build and live immediately. And we cannot find even in Nike town?

For all the agents in Enugu, call me if you have anything you can show me, I will come out for inspection at short notice within this weekend.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2011
spyder880:

Surprise Surprise!!!
Enugu lands has so much risen in value that we cannot find any land which is reasonable in price. Somebody from nairaland contacted me to find him the ideal land for his new house. I have been moving all around town since the past 2 weeks to see any land at the range of 3.5m-4m in any good location in Enugu where somebody can build and live immediately. And we cannot find even in Nike town?

For all the agents in Enugu, call me if you have anything you can show me, I will come out for inspection at short notice within this weekend.

If you could pay my ticket to Nigeria and my hotel stay, i would help you to get something in Enugu, and get me a driver to drive me around too as well as a brand new GPS with the street of Enugu in it, cos i have no idea anywhere in Enugu, but willing to do anything for my BOss
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 8:25pm On Dec 09, 2011
^^^^ Oga, I agree in total, just fly down and your expenses will be taken care of, just debit my account and I will pay up as soon as 1 naira equals 1 USD,lollzz.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Country1: 10:32pm On Dec 09, 2011
EX-OFFICE BLOCK WITH C OF O FOR SALE IN ORILE IGANMU LAGOS
PROPERTY DETAILS:
FRONTAGE DIMENSION: 37.5M
DEPTH: 26M
COVERING: 975 SQ.M

ACCOMODATION DETAILS:
The structure is demarcated by wall blocks into offices
GROSS AREA PER FLOOR IS 330SQM
GROUND FLOOR HAS 368SQ.M OFFICE ANNEX

FIXTURES & FITTINGS:
ALUMINIUM WINDOWS WITH BURGLARY PROOF
BLOCK FENCED, WELL PAVED COMPOUND, WITH FRONT AND SIDE GATED ENTRANCE & LOTS MORE

PRICE: 40MILLION NAIRA OR NEAREST OFFER [PLEASE NO TIME WASTERS]

PRIVATE SALE: PLEASE CONTACT LILIAN OR TONY ON:

08034383360 OR EMAIL: countrywideconsult@yahoo.co.uk
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by Fhemmmy: 7:22pm On Dec 10, 2011
spyder880:

^^^^ Oga, I agree in total, just fly down and your expenses will be taken care of, just debit my account and I will pay up as soon as 1 naira equals 1 USD,lollzz.

See Ojoro on high levels . . . God dey oh
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 7:26am On Dec 31, 2011
The issue of renting 4 flats and building penthouse on the top was not covered here on this thread. I will update this thread with the pictures of flats with penthouse soon.
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by igbanbajo(m): 8:43am On Dec 31, 2011
Re: The Business And Profitability Of Rental Properties by spyder880(m): 9:20am On Dec 31, 2011
^^^ my man, how is SMN, our trading forum? Long time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

EXECUTIVE TOILET SEAT SHAWER ROOM CLOSE COUPLES HERE WITH PICTURES / PICk YOUR QUALITY KITCHEN / BATHROOM WALL TILES HERE WITH PICTURES / Tunde Onakoya's Parents Get A House As A Gift From Someone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.