Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,875 members, 7,831,842 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" (976 Views)

Fact Check: Did Queen Elizabeth II Throw Food To African Kids In Viral Video? / Fact-check: Did Russian Space Agency Threaten To Strand American Astronaut In Sp / Russia Vs Ukraine: The Lies, Misinformation And Outright Propaganda (Fact Check) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by rottennaija(m): 3:21pm On Jul 09, 2022

Remember this "exclusive" story in the Daily Star about "general Pavel", who was supposedly "dragged out of retirement" by Putin and sent to Ukraine?

So yeah, turns out that's total bullshit.

@Lotte_Lambrecht and I found out who's _actually_ in this photo. Follow along!

1/

The Daily Star quoted an anonymous "senior intelligence source" for the article.

It was picked up by virtually every other tabloid in the UK and by a lot of international newspapers. In Belgium @HLN_BE also ran the story: archive.ph/166h9

2/

Reverse Image Search didn't reveal much, apart from the fact that the earliest online version of the photo was a Russian fat joke on Twitter (June 5th) calling our chonky guy the "Commander-in-chief of the Canteen".

https://twitter.com/ElectricReborn/status/1533351479641268224/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1533351479641268224%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthreadreaderapp.com%2Fthread%2F1545651614253555712.html
3/

In June, the photo also circulated on Reddit, in the r/AbsoluteUnits and PhotoshopBattle-subreddits.

Meme-pages were also having a lot of fun with it.

But nobody mentioned anything about the actual context of the photo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AbsoluteUnits/comments/v615cv/this_russian_military_personel/

4/

Also, a lot of people were sceptical of the Daily Star's story. 'Pavel' is only a first name, for instance, and some claimed that the camo worn by 'general Pavel' was actually Ukrainian instead of Russian.

So I became obsessed with finding out where this picture was taken.
5/

We resorted to PimEyes and its facial recognition search capabilities to identify the people on the photo.

We didn't find 'Pavel', but the people to his left turned out to be local administrators from the Yelansky district (Volgograd Oblast), some 800 km from Moscow.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXNIg2IXgAA1aFK.jpg [/img]

6/

Could we find our 'Pavel' in the Yelansky district? Off to Google Maps!

Unfortunately, however, there's no Google Streetview available for Yelan, the largest town in the district. But there are some visitor's photos available for its 'Central Park'.

7/

At about the 50th photo, we spot a pretty distinctive war monument that's also visible in the background of the picture with 'general Pavel'.

8/

The pavement on our picture also matches the pavement in Yelan's central park.

Importantly, at that exact location, there also seems to be a smaller monument in the background, consisting of a red-green pole and a black memorial plaque.

9/

So we have confirmed a location: a park in Yelan, Volgograd Oblast, near some memorials.

But when was this photo taken? Who are the other people in it? And why would 'general Pavel' be there?
10/

2 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by rottennaija(m): 3:24pm On Jul 09, 2022
It turns out those red-green posts are Russian border pillars.

But Yelan is not near the Russian border. So that leaves the possibility of a memorial for the Border Guards

11/

And sure enough, the green hats worn by several people in the photo, including our 'general Pavel', turn out to be the (ceremonial) caps of the Russian border guard.

The Border Guard is part of the FSB, not the army.

Is 'Pavel' a border guard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Service_of_the_Federal_Security_Service_of_the_Russian_Federation
12/

Cue my colleague @Lotte_Lambrecht, who - through some deep searches on Russian search engine Yandex - finds an article on local news site Elanskie-Vesti about a ceremony in Yelan's park on 27 May 2022, with... a larger, original version of our photo!

https://elanskie-vesti.ru/news/media/2022/6/1/den-i-noch-nacheku/

13/

It turns out to be a local ceremony celebrating "Border Guard Day", a holiday for (former) border guards in Russia.

On Yelansky district's official Telegram, we even find a picture of 'Pavel' at the microphone stand giving a military salute.

https://www.kp.ru/family/prazdniki/den-pogranichnika/
14/

But even though, at this point in our research, we know the exact location and date of the picture, and even though we have identified several other people in it, we still don't know anything about 'general Pavel'.

But that is about to change.
15/

On the Russian social network Odnoklassniki, Lotte finds a group for border guard veterans from Yelan.

And soon after, we find our elusive 'general Pavel'.

Who turns out... not to be a general named Pavel. �

16/

Our '67-year old general Pavel' turns out to be the 58-year old Ivan Ivanovich Turchin, veteran of both the Russian military and the Border Guard.

He retired in 2011, after 20 years of service at the border in Uzbekistan.

https://ok.ru/profile/530054681323/photos
17/

His social media are absolutely packed with photos from his past, and several pictures of him attending Yelan's Border Guard Day ceremony, at least since 2013.

His recent posts include recipes, songs and inspirational quotes. Nothing indicates that he's in Ukraine.

18/

So this 'exclusive' story - first published by the Daily Star, and picked up by The Sun, The Daily Mail, the New York Post etc. - turns out to be entirely fictional.

We have reached out to the Daily Star for comment but have not received a reply, as of today.

19/

Many thanks to @Lotte_Lambrecht form @Knack for the collab on this fact-check.

You can read her (detailed) write-up of our research here:
knack.be/factcheck/fact…

Follow her on Twitter for more stellar fact-checks!

https://www.knack.be/factcheck/factcheck-nee-deze-foto-toont-geen-russische-generaal-majoor/
20/

My own article (also in Dutch, no paywall) can be found below.

In conclusion: always be skeptical of clickbaity tabloid stories. And let Ivan enjoy his retirement.

Thanks for following along!

ends/
Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by EKONGKING: 3:44pm On Jul 09, 2022
ha ha
just like WMD in iraq,western propaganda bursted again .
when putin says ,we barely started. better believe him

what will western ass lickers now say ?

8 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by rottennaija(m): 3:50pm On Jul 09, 2022
EKONGKING:
ha ha
just like WMD in iraq,western propaganda bursted again .
when putin says ,we barely started. better believe him

what will western ass lickers now say ?

They will put their head in the sand, and double down.

5 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by iykofias(m): 3:53pm On Jul 09, 2022
Detailed and well countered. Western propagandas can’t hold us captive anymore

5 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by pacino26(m): 9:37pm On Jul 09, 2022
They are quick to publish their narrative and imaginations without vetting. What other propaganda did the MSM force down the brain of some gullible fellows?

5 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by Stillwhites(m): 12:03am On Jul 10, 2022
The rate at which global media houses publish propaganda rocks me real deep.It leaves me with little to no wonder why Thomas Jefferson said the man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but news papers.

4 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by shogsman(m): 11:29am On Jul 10, 2022
We keep telling the few stooges believing Thier every word but they don't listen, I can't even begin to list the amount of ridiculous propaganda they've pushed out, from the maternity bombing showing a woman with a bruised head which latee turned out to be an actress to the ghost of kiev

4 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by id911(m): 12:52pm On Jul 10, 2022
The rate at which propaganda and lies were flying on a daily basis about Russia even when those things were clearly false was alarming. I'm now doubting the authenticity of western books and history I've read. This Russia-Ukraine conflict has really made me lose interest in watching CNN and other news outlets.

4 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by Appleyard(m): 9:05am On Jul 11, 2022
id911:
The rate at which propaganda and lies were flying on a daily basis about Russia even when those things were clearly false was alarming. I'm now doubting the authenticity of western books and history I've read. This Russia-Ukraine conflict has really made me lose interest in watching CNN and other news outlets.

Western accounts of history is clouded with lies and Eurocentricism. Just the same way they lied that Columbus was the first to discover America, whereas, Africans with boats were there before Columbus. The white man and history-based lies are like five and six.

4 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by Caseless: 9:14am On Jul 11, 2022
shogsman:
We keep telling the few stooges believing Thier every word but they don't listen, I can't even begin to list the amount of ridiculous propaganda they've pushed out, from the maternity bombing showing a woman with a bruised head which latee turned out to be an actress to the ghost of kiev
that one on ghost of Kiev is the cheapest of them all.

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Remember "Exclusive" Story In The Daily Star About "General Pavel" by ken6488(m): 12:44pm On Jul 11, 2022
I am beginning to doubt the history I read

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Today's Shabbat & Hamas Attacks: The Real War Starts From Tomorrow! / Muslims Assault U.s. Embassy In Indonesia / Breaking News: Attempted Coup In Thailand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.