Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com (6625 Views)

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by Brite02(m): 5:21pm On Jul 30, 2011
Igbo is the right word. And not ibo
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by Johnpaul2k2(m): 5:36pm On Jul 30, 2011
IBO IS BEEN CALLED BY THOSE WHO ARE NOT IN NIGERIAangry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
IGBO IS THE CORRECT PRONUNCIATION grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by hbrednic: 6:33pm On Jul 30, 2011
nonsense
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by dayokanu(m): 6:34pm On Jul 30, 2011
The founder from Isreal?
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 7:17pm On Jul 30, 2011
dayokanu:

The founder from Isreal?

No, from Saudi Arabia. Oh that's the wrong guy and wrong group from Medina, or was it heaven.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 9:12pm On Jul 30, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

So there are two fathers? I don't get it. There are two igbo descendant lines coming from two distinct anestors. Right?

One of the ancestors, Aro dominated Eri who is the settler. Correct?

Is Aro aborigine or settler?

Bros whats your problem? Seriously, I havn't seen you discuss anything about the Igbos without bringing up Aros. Leave them alone. There is no Eri or Aro rivalry or etc we are all Igbos. There is no one man or clan that all the Igbos descended from. So stop trying to create unnecessary rivalry or division where there isnt.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by deadie(m): 9:36pm On Jul 30, 2011
It is Igbo. Learn how to write and pronounce it or shut up. If adding the extra letter 'g' to your 'Ibo' is that difficult, then you have issues. Both the language and the people are IGBO.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by ak47mann(m): 9:53pm On Jul 30, 2011
is pronounce igbo you monkey baboons angry angry angry
end of the day we didn't fall from haven like oduduwa yoruba ADAM abi na[b] eve[/b] abeg which sex oduduwa be self am confused undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by aljharem3: 9:57pm On Jul 30, 2011
bashr4:

shut up pig its igbo what the hell is wrong with you people, you guys are really possessed ,that is why nothing is moving foward in this country.  it is igbo not ibo stop acting like a monkey.

stop insulting me, do you have historic facts to prove otherwise

The Igbo, sometimes (especially formerly) referred to as Ibo, are one of the largest single ethnicities in Africa. Most Igbo speakers are based in southeast Nigeria, where they constitute about 17% of the population; they can also be found in significant numbers in Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea.

http://news.codewit.com/culture/history-of-igbo-people-of-nigeria-390.html
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by aljharem3: 9:58pm On Jul 30, 2011
TRIBES & PEOPLE GROUPS

IBO (IGBO)

Location: Nigeria, Africa, is composed of basically three different ethnic groups: the Yorubas, the Hausas, and the Ibos. The Ibos live in Iboland. It comes as no surprise that the stifling heat of central Africa would dictate the type of clothing worn by any native peoples. The Ibos wear little or nothing until they reach puberty. At this time, the men usually wear loose-fitting cotton shirts and a loincloth, while the women wrap different pieces of cloth around themselves and also wrap some cloth around their head. The men often carry machetes, useful for clearing overgrown paths and offering protection for wild animals.

Language: The language of the Ibos is very interesting. It is derived from a group of languages commonly found in West Africa, the Kwa languages. It is based a lot on pitch, vocal inflections, and context when defining the meaning of a word. A single word can have numerous meanings depending on these factors. Idioms and proverbs play an important role in the Ibo language. Someone who does not use them in speech is considered a novice at speaking the language.

http://www.africaguide.com/culture/tribes/ibo.htm
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by automania: 11:13pm On Jul 30, 2011
Igbo is the right pronounciation both for the people and language. Ibo is a corruption of the word Igbo.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by Abuloma80(f): 12:38am On Jul 31, 2011
There is evidence that the ancestors of the Igbo people and most of their neighbors were the proto-Benue group, which came from the African Great

Lakes and Mountains of the Moon of East and Central Africa, before settling at the old Sahara grasslands. The desertification of the Sahara forced

some of the Benue people to migrate farther south to the north of the Niger Benue confluence, where they developed the Nok culture.

Elements of the Benue people migrated south of this confluence and later became the Igala, Idoma, Yoruba, Igbo, and possibly the Tiv peoples. The

Benue people's first areas of settlement in Igboland was the North Central uplands (Nsukka-Awka-Orlu) around 5000 BCE. Elements from the Orlu

area migrated south, east, and northeast, while elements from the Awka area migrated westwards across the Niger river and became the Igbo

subgroup now known as the Anioma. The Igbo share linguistic ties with the Bini, Igala, Yoruba, and Idoma peoples. (Source Wikipedia)
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by airmark(m): 1:11am On Jul 31, 2011
Is it true that Ibo people in abakaliki eat human beings? Just asking.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 1:59am On Jul 31, 2011
alj_harem:

stop insulting me, do you have historic facts to prove otherwise

The Igbo, sometimes (especially formerly) referred to as Ibo, are one of the largest single ethnicities in Africa. Most Igbo speakers are based in southeast Nigeria, where they constitute about 17% of the population; they can also be found in significant numbers in Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea.

http://news.codewit.com/culture/history-of-igbo-people-of-nigeria-390.html

O'boy your information is outdated. Igbos do not make up 17% of Nigeria anymore nor do they make up 17% of South East Nigeria. Igbos nowadays make up 20-25% of the entire population of Nigerian and 85-90% of the South East (Delta, Ebonyi, Abia, Bayelsa, Anambra, Rivers, Cross Rivers, Imo, Enugu).
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 2:02am On Jul 31, 2011
airmark:

Is it true that Ibo people in abakaliki eat human beings? Just asking.

No, nowadays such things dont happen. In the olden days, it was rare for Igbos to eat other people but nowadays it is forbidden for a man to eat another in all of Igboland. But remember, not all Igbo groups practiced Canibalism, often those groups at the fringes of Igboland were influenced by Cannibalistic neighbours (Ibibios, Efiks, Ekois, etc).
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by ak47mann(m): 2:08am On Jul 31, 2011
odumchi:

No, nowadays such things dont happen. In the olden days, it was rare for Igbos to eat other people but nowadays it is forbidden for a man to eat another in all of Igboland. But remember, not all Igbo groups practiced Canibalism, often those groups at the fringes of [b]Igboland were influenced by Cannibalistic neighbours (Ibibios, Efiks, Ekois, etc).
[/b] never knew b4 shocked
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by NegroNtns(m): 5:50am On Jul 31, 2011
Igbo, ibo, nyamiri, omo aj'okuta ma m'omi. . . . .we call you what we want.

You call others what you want and they don't complain. Why should you if we call you what we want?

You call us Yoruba, Yoruba, so what's your problem with being called Ibo?

In fact, oooops, . . . .I just lost the "g" in my alphabet set. Hope you don't mind my "ibo" brothers.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by Abagworo(m): 6:10am On Jul 31, 2011
This Igbo/Ibo debate makes me think we Africans are fools.Spelling of words in a Roman writing should never be our problem as long as we understand the message being convered.English,Anglais,Angle etc etc is the same thing just like French,Francais,German,Deutsh.Whether we call it Ivory Coast or Cote D'Ivoire etc,we all mean the same thing.

Even the word Igbo was not accepted in pre-colonial times by most of the present day Igbos,so why the hullabaloo?
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by aljharem3: 6:23am On Jul 31, 2011
odumchi:

No, nowadays such things dont happen. In the olden days, it was rare for Igbos to eat other people but nowadays it is forbidden for a man to eat another in all of Igboland. But remember, not all Igbo groups practiced Canibalism, often those groups at the fringes of Igboland were influenced by Cannibalistic neighbours (Ibibios, Efiks, Ekois, etc).
please give us a link to back that up thanks it would be well appreciated

i thought is is hausa/fulani 28%

yoruba 21%

igbo 18%

but i would like a link for that thanks

ak47mann:

[/b] never knew b4 shocked

if you have a link as well please do provide

thanks
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by aljharem3: 6:26am On Jul 31, 2011
Abagworo:

This Igbo/Ibo debate makes me think we Africans are fools.Spelling of words in a Roman writing should never be our problem as long as we understand the message being convered.English,Anglais,Angle etc etc is the same thing just like French,Francais,German,Deutsh.Whether we call it Ivory Coast or Cote D'Ivoire etc,we all mean the same thing.

Even the word Igbo was not accepted in pre-colonial times by most of the present day Igbos,so why the hullabaloo?

thank you.

I find this annoying for some internet people to be forcing us to spell it as IGBO when in Nigeria at times but on the news, presidential announcment etc it is IBO

Unless proven otherwise and made publicly known, no one should tell others what to spell it as

most ecspecially when majority of igbo musicians and writers spell it as IBO
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 6:53am On Jul 31, 2011
No it is no longer that way. Percentages always change. That link percentage was introduced in 1999 (if i may recall). Also remember the percentage of the Igbos has always been deflated inorder to give others a boost (ie Hausa). There are anywhere from 32-37 million Igbos in Nigeria. You do the math.

Its most likely Yoruba 23-25 , Igbo 21-25, Hausa 26 or 27.

As for cannibalism, I do not have a link atm, but what I am telling you is first-hand evidence. My people and our allies (aro, Abakiliki, Ohafia, Abriba) had and sill have Ibibio, Efik, Ekoi and etc neighbours that used to practice cannibalism in the old days and such practices have always been a atboo in our lands. You are free to search it on google however. I hope this clears any doubts you may have.

alj_harem:

please give us a link to back that up thanks it would be well appreciated

i thought is is hausa/fulani 28%

yoruba 21%

igbo 18%

but i would like a link for that thanks

if you have a link as well please do provide

thanks
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by aljharem3: 7:11am On Jul 31, 2011
odumchi:

No it is no longer that way. Percentages always change. That link percentage was introduced in 1999 (if i may recall). Also remember the percentage of the Igbos has always been deflated inorder to give others a boost (ie Hausa). There are anywhere from 32-37 million Igbos in Nigeria. You do the math.

Its most likely Yoruba 23-25 , Igbo 21-25, Hausa 26 or 27.

Hmmmmm. no i don't think i believe those figures as there is not data to prove it right undecided

well thanks for the response

odumchi:

As for cannibalism, I do not have a link atm, but what I am telling you is first-hand evidence. My people and our allies (aro, Abakiliki, Ohafia, Abriba) had and sill have Ibibio, Efik, Ekoi and etc neighbours that used to practice cannibalism in the old days and such practices have always been a atboo in our lands. You are free to search it on google however. I hope this clears any doubts you may have.

I am sure this is not for me as I am not ignorant enough to talk of cannibalism when the thread is talking about igbo or ibo wink
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 7:22am On Jul 31, 2011
It cant be 18% Ibo, 21% Yoruba, 29% Hausa forever. I acknowledge that this percentage has always been funny from the beginning. Ifso, Igbo and Yoruba could have easily been labelled minorities based on percentage since allegedly one in every 3 Nigerians is Hausa. Lie, lie. I wont believe such. Nigeria better take an accurate and fair census.

alj_harem:

Hmmmmm. no i don't think i believe those figures as there is not data to prove it right undecided

well thanks for the response

I am sure this is not for me as I am not ignorant enough to talk of cannibalism when the thread is talking about igbo or ibo wink
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by aljharem3: 7:27am On Jul 31, 2011
odumchi:

It cant be 18% Ibo, 21% Yoruba, 29% Hausa forever. I acknowledge that this percentage has always been funny from the beginning. Ifso, Igbo and Yoruba could have easily been labelled minorities based on percentage since allegedly one in every 3 Nigerians is Hausa. Lie, lie. I wont believe such. Nigeria better take an accurate and fair census.

true

well agreed but I don't think there have ethnic census since 1960's or so

I think it is just a rough estimate based on land mass undecided

I don't think Nigeria would have any ethnic census again as it is done by state now not by ethnic groups

thanks for the chat
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by automania: 8:46am On Jul 31, 2011
alj_harem:

true

well agreed but I don't think there have ethnic census since 1960's or so

I think it is just a rough estimate based on land mass undecided

I don't think Nigeria would have any ethnic census again as it is done by state now not by ethnic groups

thanks for the chat

The result of an ethnic census today will surprise you. The state census does not give a true picture given that most igbos don't live in their states or the east.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by CuteTj(m): 1:13pm On Jul 31, 2011
What's the business of this topic on the front page? You are ibo, igbo, heebo, igo e.t.c ure nigerian! What has this got to do with nation building? Let's do away with trivial issues.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by lagcity(m): 2:14pm On Jul 31, 2011
ak47mann:

is pronounce igbo you monkey baboons angry angry angry
end of the day we didn't fall from haven like oduduwa yoruba ADAM abi na[b] eve[/b] abeg which sex oduduwa be self am confused undecided undecided undecided

ak47mann, u don start again eh? it is u ppl who wont let me retire smiley since when did falling from heaven become a bad thing? cheesy
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by otapiapia: 4:22pm On Jul 31, 2011
Is it true that Oduduwa broke his left rib while falling from heaven? grin

just asking,
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by ak47mann(m): 4:33pm On Jul 31, 2011
otapiapia:

Is it true that Oduduwa broke his left rib while falling from heaven? grin

just asking,
no he landed with his head, thats why his ears shifted behind his back if you want evidence take a look at abiola pix angry
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by WaltherPPK: 6:11pm On Jul 31, 2011
@Alhaji Boko Haram,
Get it into that your kunu, pito and brukutu flooded skull, it is IGBO not IBO, there is nothing like Ibo.Stop exposing your pathetic ignorance by trying to teach others their language and culture.
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by amor4ce(m): 11:37pm On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com by NegroNtns(m): 4:14am On Aug 01, 2011
Abagworo,

Will you guys please keep to one origin story. Does this new origin story mean I need to update what you shared with me few days ago? Based on this new discovery, is the account of two days ago valid or not?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Friendliest People In Africa? / Is This Always True Abt The Binis?? / Contact Me On Ifa Consultation And Readings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.