Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? (13772 Views)

10th Century Great Wall Of Kano And Associated Structures / Lucifer As The Olósí (not Esu)of Yorùbá Mythology / Eshu.....Esu......Yeshu......Yesu....Jesu...Jesus.......who Is This Person? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by odumchi: 6:41am On Jul 28, 2011
In Igbo, Ekwensu has come to mean devil.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 6:50am On Jul 28, 2011
Before english, what did it mean ?
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by odumchi: 6:53am On Jul 28, 2011
A god of deciet and lies. Why do you ask?
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 6:57am On Jul 28, 2011
I was curious when u said the Yoruba and Igbo meaning are close. So I went back hoping it was explaied but no.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by Andrew3(m): 6:58am On Jul 28, 2011
if esu was a god then is truely a satan, cus there ought to be only one God, any other one apart from him is
rebellious heart
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by odumchi: 7:02am On Jul 28, 2011
I think the OP already knows the answer to his own question.

Negro_Ntns:

I was curious when u said the Yoruba and Igbo meaning are close. So I went back hoping it was explaied but no.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by tpia5: 7:03am On Jul 28, 2011
amor4ce:

Wasn't Esu kicked out of heaven for rebellion according to Yoruba mythology?

i saw that in isaiah, not yoruba mythology.

Rgp92:

Very sad the yorubas didnt have writen system at that time. If they did, the yoruba mythology would have been more popular than it is now. Very sad that our people abandon it for christianity   undecided

oh well.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:04am On Jul 28, 2011
Okayn I see where this things is going to progress. I don't like talking religion outside of its designated section. This is going to get ugly soon.

Odumchi, I will hold till its moved, depends on what ekt_bear decide.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by tpia5: 7:06am On Jul 28, 2011
@ topic

my guess is esu is identified as satan because he's likely to be the god of death.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:07am On Jul 28, 2011
Tpia,

No he wasn't.

Hold on Andrew, pls keep your thoughts till the thread is moved. Ok?
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by saintneo(m): 7:08am On Jul 28, 2011
What was Satan first act on earth? Deceit/trickery at the Garden!
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by tpia5: 7:10am On Jul 28, 2011
in yorubaland, calling someone eshu is one of the worst descriptions you can give a person.

it means evil and is like a curse.

i'm sure this description preceeded colonisation and any missionary.

eshu is something people dread, not admire.

its not like overseas where bad means good and calling somebody evil is seen as a compliment.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:11am On Jul 28, 2011
Dang, I wish ekt had opened this post in religion.

Ehhm. .
See, to understand esu, obatala, and all thse gods you will need to open your self to see Genesis in a new way other than what u read in letters
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by Sike(m): 7:13am On Jul 28, 2011
japhet2233:

criminal Yoruba just like OBJ they are thief
Watch it Man!!!
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by BABE3: 7:14am On Jul 28, 2011
Esu is a god in Yorubaland, and yes people worship him. People are even named after this dude. Esutomi, Esuseyi, Esufunke etc.

Esu is also the Yoruba interpretation for Satan. Why? Probably because he was the meanest out of the all gods and they didn't have a Yoruba word for the devil then.  Satani is another interpretation.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by tpia5: 7:15am On Jul 28, 2011
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by tpia5: 7:17am On Jul 28, 2011
People are even named after this dude. Esutomi, Esuseyi, Esufunke etc

some people used to be dedicated to esu in the past [hence the names], but not anymore because any sane person with such a name would change it as soon as they reached the age of understanding.

and a parent naming their child that is definitely weird.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:20am On Jul 28, 2011
The Bible and the Quran did not confuse us about these things. We confused ourselves
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by UpDates1(m): 7:27am On Jul 28, 2011
una don start again ni?
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:32am On Jul 28, 2011
Let's say for instance a name like Akingbade. What does it mean? Its two separate names joined to form one.

Akin - warrior/braveheart

Ade - crown/regent

Then let's consider name like Tunde Bakare.

Tunde is shortened for babatunde meaning the father is reincarnated.

How about Bakare? What does it mean in Yoruba?
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by tpia5: 7:33am On Jul 28, 2011
isnt bakare arabic.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by Jenifa1: 7:35am On Jul 28, 2011
I guess people have already answered the question. Esu was the closest representation of satan.
the reason why they had to use a representation is because there is no way a religion can be replicated identically into a new culture.
religion and culture are intrinsically linked so in other words, you can't transplant european culture into an african one.  so of course European christianity had to go through a transformation to become more africanized. something the african mind can understand.

you will find similarities in many other cultures. ex haitians converting to catholicism. you will see that they use their deities to represent the catholic saints
st peter  becomes legba
st james becomes ogun
st gabriel becomes gede etc

it's just that they find similiarities between the two characters.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:35am On Jul 28, 2011
Odumchi, deceit & lies? That's not the understanding that I have of Ekwesu. Apart from 'Devil/Satan' Ekwesu has always been a god of war & cunning; a venerated trickster spirit that disseminates confusion and allows one to outsmart ones enemies/competitors/opposition. In the old days, it was the #2 god in Ngwaland.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:39am On Jul 28, 2011
Precisely! In full its abubakar.

So on the land and before oyibo we had ogboni and osugbo cults, they were the custodians of our customs and philosophical thoughts. When oyibo arrived what were some of the first things they did?

Took our references from us. They raided and took objets of worship and artifacts and arts and either destroyed or confiscated them totally
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:44am On Jul 28, 2011
They then charged people to go in museum and see these arts. Some of what they call arts are actually objects of worship.

I once went to an arts exhibition where an ekpe full regalia, from top to bottom, was on display. Very colorful! When I came in front, even though I'm not efik, I recognized what I was staring at and I looked away and left.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by Jenifa1: 7:44am On Jul 28, 2011
. . .continued

this is why when people say africans were forced to accept a white man's religion, I don't believe it because African christianity is African!  yes we use english words and read the bible  etc but our conceptualization of the religion is very African.
a nigerian person's concept of devil is quite different from a white man's concept of devil.even ideas like witchcraft and demonic forces are very african.
so yeah christianity really isn't a white man's religion as many africanists like to say.
It can be anybody's religion. as long as you accept Jesus Christ as your lord and personal savior.  wink
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by BABE3: 7:46am On Jul 28, 2011
tpia@:

some people used to be dedicated to esu in the past [hence the names], but not anymore because any sane person with such a name would change it as soon as they reached the age of understanding.

and a parent naming their child that is definitely weird.

lol---you'll be shocked to find out some people still add the "esu" prefix to their children's names.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:47am On Jul 28, 2011
Esu is a paradoxical energy. On the other side of it is obatala
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by Korrection(m): 7:52am On Jul 28, 2011
I understand what you guys are saying, but which one is better?? Our Lord Jesus Christ or the Esu and Ekwensu you guys are claiming to be a target of change from the missionaries?, someone please make it clear to me, Becareful of what you say about the Almighty cos HE is one big eye watching the world,
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:52am On Jul 28, 2011
Babe, yes because there is nothing wrong with it.

I used the Bakare as a good example beause there is a pastor named Tunde Bakare.

If you ask pastor Tunde Bakare to change his name to Tunde Esusanmi he will object and tell you it is not fitting with his role as a minister of God. Bu does he know that Abubakar was an idol worshipping Priest if the Meccan tribes in time of Mohammed?

I wonder if he even knew its arabic name.
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by amor4ce(m): 7:54am On Jul 28, 2011
@Negro_Ntns, are you implying that the orisha are various manifestations of energy that were garbed in personalities by the custodians of tradition? I once thought of this but decided to put it aside for a while
Re: Why Is Esu Associated With Satan? by NegroNtns(m): 7:57am On Jul 28, 2011
Esu s not devil.

Esu is a malevolent force through which the human character is disciplined or it goes through cleansing. It is the reformer, the transformer, the change catalyst, the enforcer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Japan's Lady Of Eternal Youth / Igbo Word For Precious / How Can I Get Rid Of My Tribal Marks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.