Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,745 members, 7,831,379 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million (16332 Views)

Southgate Drops Raheem Sterling From England Squad After Attacking Joe Gomez / Chelsea Sign Jorginho On A Five-year Deal From Napoli / Raheem Sterling’s Car Collection (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by ogbiwa: 10:16am On Jul 14, 2022
Chelsea have confirmed the signing of England forward Raheem Sterling from Manchester City in a £50m deal.

Sterling, 27, has signed a five-year contract at Stamford Bridge.

City signed Sterling from Liverpool in a £49m deal in 2015. He went on to score 131 goals in 339 games, winning four Premier League titles.

Capped 77 times by England, Sterling is Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel's first major signing since the Todd Boehly-led takeover.

Meanwhile, Chelsea are set to sign Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly and close to a move for Manchester City centre-back Nathan Ake.

"I've obviously achieved a lot in my career so far, but there is still so much more to achieve and I'm really looking forward to doing that in a Chelsea shirt, under Thomas' management," said Sterling.

"London is my home and where it all started for me, and it's amazing I now have the opportunity to play in front of friends and family week in, week out at Stamford Bridge. I'm really looking forward to meeting the fans there soon."

He added: "I can't wait to get going now and continue to do my talking on the pitch."

Sterling's deal is worth up to £50m including add-ons. He had one year left on his contract at City and had attracted interest from major clubs overseas.

He has linked up with the Chelsea squad in Los Angeles for pre-season.

Chairman and co-controlling owner Boehly said: "Raheem Sterling is a serial winner and his signing is an important step in strengthening our squad. We are delighted for Raheem to return to London with Chelsea, and we look forward to seeing his world-class talent on display at Stamford Bridge."

'One of City's greats'
Earlier Sterling posted a goodbye message saying he was leaving City "as a man" adding: "Seven seasons, 11 major trophies, a lifetime of memories."

In a statement, City paid tribute to Sterling calling him "one of the club's greatest modern-day players".

Since Pep Guardiola became City manager in 2016, only Sergio Aguero (124) has scored more goals for City than Sterling (120).

Sterling scored 13 goals in 30 Premier League appearances last season as he won his fourth league title, his 11th major honour in seven seasons with City.

City director of football Txiki Begiristain added: "Raheem has been a wonderful servant for Manchester City, and he leaves our club on the best terms possible having helped us win yet another Premier League title.

"He has played a very important part of the successes we've had in recent seasons and his dignity on and off the field has been an inspiration to many.

"He will be forever part of Manchester City and we wish him well in the next chapter of his career and he departs knowing he will always be welcomed at this football club."

Sterling's opportunities were restricted by last summer's signing of Jack Grealish, while forwards Erling Haaland and Julian Alvarez have arrived at Etihad Stadium this summer.

Sterling was on the bench for both legs of the Champions League semi-final defeat by Real Madrid and the epic final game of the season against Aston Villa.

However, he did spark that memorable last-day comeback by setting up Ilkay Gundogan's crucial first goal as City came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 and pip Liverpool to the league title.

Chelsea boss Tuchel was looking to boost his attacking ranks after Romelu Lukaku rejoined Inter Milan on a season-long loan.

The Belgium striker was the Blues' top scorer last season with 15 goals in all competitions, narrowly ahead of Kai Havertz (14) and Mason Mount (13).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62155029

8 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by ArchiLimited: 10:16am On Jul 14, 2022
This guy misses an average of 5 open chances per game and scores 1. Chelsea fans that have no patience. I hope they don't eat him up when things turn sour.

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Totilopussylick(m): 10:21am On Jul 14, 2022
ArchiLimited:
This guy misses an average of 5 open chances per game and scores 1. Chelsea fans that have no patience. I hope they don't eat him up when things turn sour.

Where they want see him tongue
Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by ArchiLimited: 10:56am On Jul 14, 2022
Totilopussylick:

Where they want see him tongue

Their phone of course grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Chloraseptic: 10:58am On Jul 14, 2022
ArchiLimited:

It's because he's very attack minded and very offensive to the opposing team that's why he's seeing those chances in the first place and that's the kind of player every team needs.

Someone who's not an out and out striker still scored 20, 10 and 13 goals respectively for the last three seasons. You are here still talking about missed chances. Do you want him to score all the chances that come his way.

Maybe you want him to score 40 goals a season.

People that didn't miss 5 chances in one game how many goals did they score last season.

96 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by ArchiLimited: 11:04am On Jul 14, 2022
Chloraseptic:

It's because he's very attack minded and very offensive to the opposing team that's why he's seeing those chances in the first place and that's the kind of player every team needs.

Someone who's not an out and out striker still scored 20, 10 and 13 goals respectively for the last three seasons. You are here still talking about missed chances. Do you want him to score all the chances that come his way.

People that didn't miss 5 chances in one game how many goals did they score last season.

Tranquilo hombre, tranquilo

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Mynd44: 11:07am On Jul 14, 2022
I miss the days when if you sign a player for 50 million, he has to be the best. The days Chelsea signs Torres for 50 million.

Not now that every player is inflated

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by nony43(m): 11:08am On Jul 14, 2022
This one city is selling their good players I hope they are replacing them, else na forth how be their position next season.

1 Like

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by BigDawsNet: 11:09am On Jul 14, 2022
embarassed

Sterling
koulibaly
Gnabry

This team go win something oh next season...
I evny them sha

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Ojuntana: 11:09am On Jul 14, 2022
Man Utd have..... lipsrsealed grin

2 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by psychologist(m): 11:09am On Jul 14, 2022
Nairaland and old stale news are like bread and peanut butter

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 14, 2022
Chloraseptic:

Dont mind that guy jare.

4 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Vulcanheph(m): 11:10am On Jul 14, 2022
I just hope he reduces the amount of falling on the box just to get penalties... Because he loves doing that.

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by princeade86(m): 11:10am On Jul 14, 2022
Good signing though.
Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by phemmyfour: 11:10am On Jul 14, 2022
Stale news na £47.5m, e no reach £50m sef

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Prechgold1180(m): 11:10am On Jul 14, 2022
Chloraseptic:

nah so unah talk for Lukaku

Attack minded ko

11 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Nobody: 11:11am On Jul 14, 2022
ArchiLimited:

Aswear and cos of his pointed backwards nyash

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by abobote: 11:11am On Jul 14, 2022
Fair deal
Congrats to Chelsea
With this Sterling will feature in 3 biggest league in England

2 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Honourable1901(m): 11:11am On Jul 14, 2022
Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Christane: 11:11am On Jul 14, 2022
good signing
Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Philip4564(m): 11:12am On Jul 14, 2022
All the best to him..he's an upgrade to our attack

2 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by Strikethem: 11:12am On Jul 14, 2022
Not up to 50million.

1 Like

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by bigdammyj: 11:12am On Jul 14, 2022
Okay.
Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by SEGLIZ: 11:13am On Jul 14, 2022
he is welcome to Stanford Bridge.

join us to KTBFFH.

1 Like

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by adioolayi(m): 11:13am On Jul 14, 2022
Na Barcelona dey do wonders this transfer window...despite the financial crisis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by ogbiwa: 11:13am On Jul 14, 2022
psychologist:
Nairaland and old stale news are like bread and peanut butter

This deal was officially announced around 3pm yesterday and you're getting it around 11am today less than 24 hours later on a Nigerian forum that depends on users for content generation, and it's already old and stale for you. I guess you paid Nairaland to be giving you instant news as it happens that's why you're typing this. If you need it instantly go to Chelsea twitter feed pls and stop abusing your internet access.

12 Likes

Re: Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million by tillaman(m): 11:13am On Jul 14, 2022
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Highest Paying Sports In The World. / Allen Onyema Promises Super Eagles N20m For Cape Verde Win / Lionel Messi Makes History With 100th Goal For Argentina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.